Norway Cruise (+Iceland/Copenhagen/Dover) TIPS (consolidated)

@jenrin

Thanks for the quick reply. I am going to check those out. I am sure I will have many more questions as the planning comes together! Thanks again!!!

I'm doing the 7 night Northern Europe cruise, but your thread has tons of useful information for me. Thank you for putting it together.:thumbsup2

No problem (thanks for the thanks @everyone) - it's helpful for me too

@jenrin - thanks for the info/posting - I'm sure we'll have more questions as it comes further

It looks like I may have to rearrange the first 3 posts at some point as the information may get long here and there - we'll worry about it as it comes up I guess :)

Great info, thanks for taking so much time putting it together.

If I could just add that there are also direct flights to London Gatwick with both BA and Virgin.

Here are some more tips for travelling between Heathrow/Gatwick and London and/or Dover.
The cheapest way into central London from Gatwick is by using this service: http://www.easybus.co.uk/london-gatwick
It's not just for Easyjet passengers, but all airlines. It's no frills and does what it says. Takes just over the hour and drops you near 3 tube stations.

If you want to catch the train, hop on a First Capital Connect train (not the Gatwick Express) direct to St Pancras. Trains run every 15 mins or so and it takes under an hour. Cost is around £10/$16 each way.

If you fly into London Heathrow and want to go direct to central London or straight to Dover, you can get the Picadilly line on the tube (underground) direct to Kings Cross. It does take around 1 hour, but with cases and jet lag, you'll be pleased to not have to change! (Cost should be no more than £6/$10 each)
If you're going to Dover, once you're at Kings Cross (often referred to as KX), you can walk to St Pancras (the stations are attached to one another) and get the High Speed train direct to Dover Priory. Takes just over an hour. There are other stations that offer a route to Dover, but they are on slower trains and stop at more stations. (A return cost is around £40/$70 each)

My one piece of advice is NOT to use either the Gatwick or Heathrow Express train service. It's very expensive and you can get the same train but stop at about 3 more stations for half the price. An absolute rip off for tourists who may not know better, or have so much money they don't care!:confused3

And for anyone who requires details of accessibility in the UK, please see here: (full link for ease of copying): http://www.inclusivebritain.com/

Hope you're able to add that to your first pages.:thumbsup2

I'm so excited to have all the locals helping us. Thank you for the tips everyone. We're planning to fly into Heathrow and stay in London about 5 nights before going on to Copenhagen, stay 2 nights and then catch our cruise. DH and I have both been to London (I lived in England for 2 years as a youth), but it will be DD (12yo) first time and she has begged to visit London.

:thumbsup2 Great thread!!!
Not on the Norway cruise, but on the EBTA. Going to get to spend the day in Denmark, and fly out the next day. Anything you recommend NOT to miss in that day?
And how about the flights? Our trip is a year away, how soon should we start looking for flights for best price back to NY or Boston? Our final destination is Memphis ,TN...TIA!

What would you do with one day? Was thinking a castle tour maybe. Would two be better?

You can easily spend a couple of days in CPH.
If I only had one day, I would take a walking tour or a HOHO bus around the city and see places like the gouverment's castle (Christiansborg) and the Queens castle (Amalienborg) In the afternoon I would go to Tivoli and spend the evening there.

I was wondering where this thread was!

I mentioned this in the CPH-Dover repo meet thread...I live just up the road from Dover so if anyone has questions about hotels, transfers, things to do in Dover/Canterbury/Kent in general, or anything London (used to live there and go often), please let me know!

You can easily spend a couple of days in CPH.
If I only had one day, I would take a walking tour or a HOHO bus around the city and see places like the gouverment's castle (Christiansborg) and the Queens castle (Amalienborg) In the afternoon I would go to Tivoli and spend the evening there.

I love tours like that! Will it have narration? Though I suppose it will not be in English. How is it for only English speaking tourists? Also I have a Gluten Allergy will people know about it over there? China was fun, people be like what is wrong with you :lmao:

I love tours like that! Will it have narration? Though I suppose it will not be in English. How is it for only English speaking tourists? Also I have a Gluten Allergy will people know about it over there? China was fun, people be like what is wrong with you :lmao:

Oh goodness, I hadn't even thought that far ahead. I have issues with gluten too, and it was a NIGHTMARE in Japan! I'll share with you what I find out. I hope some of the locals have an idea.

Great thread
I will no doubt be spending a lot of time on it!
Thanks for all the hard work to pull this great info together :)

:thumbsup2 Great thread!!!
Not on the Norway cruise, but on the EBTA. Going to get to spend the day in Denmark, and fly out the next day. Anything you recommend NOT to miss in that day?
And how about the flights? Our trip is a year away, how soon should we start looking for flights for best price back to NY or Boston? Our final destination is Memphis ,TN...TIA!

Thanks for all this wonderful information. I will definitely use it this Summer. I had given up on Disney going to Norway/Baltic so I'm going this Summer on a 28 day cruise - we have 10 stops in Norway and 8 in the Baltic so I can use a lot of your information.

Plane flights - all the experts on airfare.com say to book 150 days out for International flights. They are correct. I waited till 146 days out and my fare had gone up $64. I am flying on KLM. It is the highest rated airline if you check out the ratings - it works with Delta so I'll be flying home on Delta. I'm flying to Amsterdam. My fare was $1647.00 for economy. I hesitate to recommend Norwegian Airlines. I oh most booked it as it was so much cheaper to fly but it had terrible reviews so I didn't want to take a chance. I have excursions lined up in many of the places but it is so much fun to learn about new places. All you information will be a big help to me - thanks again! The one thing on my "bucket list" is to climb Pulpit Rock when we visit Stavanger. We are only there 8 hours so I'm hesitant. You are there longer so if any of you are hikers I'm told it is the #1 place to hike in the world - the picture of people on the huge flat rock in the Disney Ad I believe is Pulpit Rock. Hope I can make the hike!!!
I leave August 8 and return Sept. 7 so I will post everything I learn about the places you will be visiting. Maybe the Disney Fairy will visit me and I could go again next Summer on the Et - it sounds wonderful - just dreaming! Only 4 months till I sail.

I've updated some info on the front pages

Thanks to our locals in Copenhagen and Dover for volunteering to answer questions... if it gets out of hand, I hope they'll let us know - but seems like everyone's been great about everything.

I also added our EBTA people

Thanks everyone for contributing

What would you do with one day? Was thinking a castle tour maybe. Would two be better?

The tours will be in English, they offer more English tours then Danish in the summer, which is quite funny.
I'm a vegetarian on a semi gluten free diet (Not an easy one, I know) And I can still get food here. Gluten free is not a common thing but more and more restaurants have gluten free options now, so you'll be fine.

Oh goodness, I hadn't even thought that far ahead. I have issues with gluten too, and it was a NIGHTMARE in Japan! I'll share with you what I find out. I hope some of the locals have an idea.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter