No way for the 2008 DP!

I wanted to do the DxDP in Sept. It will be out 25th anniv trip and we are doing some signatures and more TS. Once I added it up, then compared it to the DDE discount, there was no comparison. I came out way ahead using the DDE card.

I did not want regular DDP since appys are more important to us than desserts. But we usually just get one appy and share, same with desserts.

So we will stick with DDE and pass on the DxDP, even though I really really tried to make it work

We did delux dp 2 weeks ago, and loved it. Yes, the tips added up. But we ate at nice places and did not have to endure the long lines and waiting for tables at CS. The one meal we did at the food court reminded me why I hate CS (aka "quick service meals" :lmao: ).

What I did not like was feeling intimidated when the waiter/waitress brought the check and then having to choose an amount for a tip. The waiter/waitress knows what your tip is before you leave your table. Next trip we will have cash for tips, and will leave the tip as we leave the restaurant. I even had one waitress stand and watch as I filled out the tip amount. When we dine out at home we write the tip as we are leaving out the door of the restaurant, not so the waitstaff watches and waits to see how much we are leaving them (as is done now in Disney restaurants).

Pumbaa said:
So we will stick with DDE and pass on the DxDP, even though I really really tried to make it work
But the basic DDP can still work IF you're booking a Magic Your Way package with Free Dining (vs. DVC). You can pay for the appetizers and any alcohol with the DDE discount.

But the basic DDP can still work IF you're booking a Magic Your Way package with Free Dining (vs. DVC). You can pay for the appetizers and any alcohol with the DDE discount.

So if we have a DDE discount card(which you need an annual pass to get..right?)
we can use that discount toward the appetizer and alcohol when using the Disney Dining plan...during the free dining promo? Or at anytime? You are able to use both the plan and apply the discount to the portion you are paying out of pocket for? Have you actually done this? :confused3 Does that get confusing for the waitstaff. Do you tell them write off about that before you order? Thanks.;)

With the changes in the DDP for 2008, they should have allowed guests to choose appetizer or dessert. I agree after a few days I'm sick of desserts too. It would be nice to have a choice because I like to order a salad as my appetizer.
I'm not sure if you read the earlier parts of the thread, but the question we've been asking folks saying what you're saying is whether you'd prefer the Dining Plan as it is (dessert only), or instead, as you'd rather it be (appetizer or dessert) for about $7-$8 extra per person per day?

I just don't see the value or convenience in paying the same price and getting less.
It has been pretty generally-accepted that the changes to the Dining Plan for 2008 were deliberately intended to bring the Dining Plan's offerings more closely in line with the value it provides, i.e., the Dining Plan is no longer a discount plan but rather just a pre-payment plan for families who would use the plan to its fullest and therefore take advantage of all the bits that are part of the offering.

We just got back a couple of weeks ago on a trip to WDW for 12 days. We had the basic DDP for 6 people (4 adults and 2 teenagers). We had done the DDP last year for the same group and have to say we enjoyed it much more last year. We ate at quite a list of fine restaurants and we missed being able to enjoy the whole menu. Because we were trying to not spend a lot more money we did not usually order apps. That took out the fun because I think some of the best items can be the apps. Each restaurant can make itself known by some of its apps and not just their entrees. It is also nice to have a nice salad before your meal. The desserts became so boring after a while because so many of them are the same or a variation of the same thing. And if you order a dessert because you think they are free and you should order one you have just upped your tip. I saw a lot of desserts near the end of our trip that did not get eaten. I think we still may have saved a couple hundred dollars on the plan but I know we would not have ordered all that if we were paying OOP. I think they have taken something out of the plan that makes it fun. All you are getting at dinner is entree, drink, dessert. So if you don't want the dessert you are getting just the entree and drink. I know you are still getting the snack and CS but I don't really care about the snack and we have only found a few CS that are a really good deal. Not really unhappy because we had a really great trip and we will be back but probably not with the DDP. I would like to WDW to acknowledge that we don't really like the DDP the way it is now. I want the DDP to be as special as our WDW trip.

truthfully, I will still purchase the basic dining plan.It is definitely not as great a values as in the past, but I like having everything pretty much paid for up front( yes I know I still have to tip).It really makes it easier for me.

truthfully, I will still purchase the basic dining plan.It is definitely not as great a values as in the past, but I like having everything pretty much paid for up front( yes I know I still have to tip).It really makes it easier for me.

We added up what we'd pay OOP and what it is per day for the DDP. We basically came out even this year, except once you add the dessert (we'd probably only get them for the kids), it's an added bonus. And yes, we have to have everything paid for up front, otherwise we'd burn thru out food money in the first two days and starve the rest of the week...we just don't buddget well!!! So dining plan, pre-payment plan, it works for us. Also, it allows us to eat at nicer places and order what we want, instead of me trying to order the cheapest thing to save money! Filet, here I come!!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter