• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

No response to Dining Plan Complaint...

Status
Not open for further replies.
To Canadianmouse: You have accurately described the situation. And while I was ducking the mashed potatoes I checked out the other forums here. I learned that I can't use my card on the day I check out, I learned that many resturants may or may not be limiting what you can purchase with our ddp and I learned that I can't count on the buses getting me where I want to go. All false of course but it only proves that no one seems to have all the right information. And there doesn't seem to be anywhere that I can accurately research the information so that I can be a good consumer. And this is laughable....I got a new video Saturday. You guessed it...it's the same. Sadly no one has given you advice on your original question. How do we let Disney know that bad information is still being given out if all our emails are being ignored? And you will laugh at this...I've decided to go deluxe so I can spend more in tips. I did the spreadsheet and it's saving us about $1400. There's my tip money. And now the DxDDP is merely a convenience. (There are 18 of us). I am so excited that even this food fight is laughable. I never knew I was so dumb. And now while I am thinking about it I am going to call Disney to see if the room fee includes beds.

If I had so many troubles and complains about a vacation I would certainly not go and stay at home.

And yes al emails I ever send have been answered polity.
But you did give any answer why neither of you did look on the original Disney site.

I believe that as consumers we would not accept this type of customer service from any other company

Really - when is the last time you dealt with the phone company, a cell phone provider, a cable/satellite company, a car dealer, the dmv, a retail salesperson, or any public utility? If you are going to ask any form of technical questions of anyone at any of these businesses you are more likely than not going to receive bad information.

Generally this issue appears to come down to the five words "Subject to change without notice."

Common sense. If you request information in 2007, and it's DATED 2007, there is no reasonable reason to expect that absolutely nothing will change in 2008 (compare last year's tax form to this year's; in addition, due to the AMI calculations some information on this year's tax form changed even after the current forms were printed). Combine that with the pretty much STANDARD business disclaimer, "subject to change without notice", and it's ultimately the responsibility of the consumer, the person SPENDING the money, to be aware what that outlay covers.
ITA.

All I wanted was advice. I am trying to get educated about this mess. I'm trying to laugh about how little I knew about Disney when I made my reservations. I am older than most of you guys yet willing to admit that I don't know alot about this type of vacation. I thought you would help. I'm not into being trashed or put down or petty little disagrements. I am absolutely floored with how I have been treated by absolute strangers. And you may be right I should stay home. Disney can't give me answers. You guys are too busy arguing to help. I still don't know what I am getting for all the thousands of dollars I have put into this. But you know what? I'm going to go and I'm going to have a good time. I may be in for more surprises. I may spend alot more than I planned. I'm going to stop planning and stop worrying. And you are not going to spoil my good time.

All I wanted was advice. I am trying to get educated about this mess. I'm trying to laugh about how little I knew about Disney when I made my reservations. I am older than most of you guys yet willing to admit that I don't know alot about this type of vacation. I thought you would help. I'm not into being trashed or put down or petty little disagrements. I am absolutely floored with how I have been treated by absolute strangers. And you may be right I should stay home. Disney can't give me answers. You guys are too busy arguing to help. I still don't know what I am getting for all the thousands of dollars I have put into this. But you know what? I'm going to go and I'm going to have a good time. I may be in for more surprises. I may spend alot more than I planned. I'm going to stop planning and stop worrying. And you are not going to spoil my good time.

I went back and looked at your posts within this thread and don't see any particular questions. You initially defended the op and I think most people that have "trashed" anyone have done so over the op's notion of getting compensation. It was my impression that you understood now what the dining plan got you but that you believed you were misled by whoever you made your reservations with. If you have a specific question I would be glad to answer it in as straightforward a manner possible.

I haven't read through this whole thread, but I find your comment rude.

First of all, I don't see what your age has to do with any of this. If you have a question, feel free to ask it, but I don't see why the OP should be compensated for getting the 2007 info in 2007, even though her trip is this year. I think you're misinterupriting our different opinions as "arguing."

You really should plan though. I don't know why anyone would spend thousands of dollars on a vacation and not plan, it makes no sense to me.

Generally this issue appears to come down to the five words "Subject to change without notice."

BINGO!!!!

As far as folks getting snarky, etc. I can somewhat understand where they are coming from. I think folks view the "compensation" portion with great disdain because actual damages were not incurred. I also think that folks are somewhat tired of the ever increasing attitude that "I was inconvenienced therefore I deserve compensation". We all make mistakes and although many people try (as well as companies) to be perfect it's not possible.

I went back and looked at your posts within this thread and don't see any particular questions. You initially defended the op and I think most people that have "trashed" anyone have done so over the op's notion of getting compensation. It was my impression that you understood now what the dining plan got you but that you believed you were misled by whoever you made your reservations with. If you have a specific question I would be glad to answer it in as straightforward a manner possible.

Agreed. Sounds like she's trying to back-pedal to me. :confused3 If there was a question asked, I would've gladly answered. We like to help, but it ruffles our feathers when people aren't seeing it from another perspective other than your own. Trust me, I completely understand and wish the reality could be perfect - but it's not, and we're just trying to say that it's best to arm yourself with knowledge so you CAN have a magical vacation.

I genuinely hope you have a good time. We're debating about it because we all love Disney so much, whether you think Disney is wrong or not, we can all agree that we do it out of love. :rotfl2:

I agree with the earlier post about dealing with other companies - I can't even begin to tell you the frustration I've endured dealing with Cablevision and their "technical support". You would assume they're experts in their field because they're technical support, right? Just as Disney CMs should be experts in all things Disney? But, you wouldn't believe the plethora of stupidity that escapes from their mouths! I work in the computer industry so I know a bit more about what they're talking about than they do. :laughing:

Being told after three technicians came to our house and "fixed" the outside lines for our internet connection that maybe it's the WIND throwing out the Internet connection EVERYDAY - give me a break! :rotfl2: Among other silly things they've said before. But, anyway! Just saying that it's the unfortunate reality of things, I wish customer service was better in general.

BINGO!!!!

As far as folks getting snarky, etc. I can somewhat understand where they are coming from. I think folks view the "compensation" portion with great disdain because actual damages were not incurred. I also think that folks are somewhat tired of the ever increasing attitude that "I was inconvenienced therefore I deserve compensation". We all make mistakes and although many people try (as well as companies) to be perfect it's not possible.

EXACTLY!!! Entitlement is such a hot-button with me. :headache:

Really - when is the last time you dealt with the phone company, a cell phone provider, a cable/satellite company, a car dealer, the dmv, a retail salesperson, or any public utility? If you are going to ask any form of technical questions of anyone at any of these businesses you are more likely than not going to receive bad information.

I am not sure that you are correct. I understand that you remember when you are given incorrect information because of the inconvenience, cost or headaches associated with the incorrect information. This does not negate all of the accurate information that you are provided any number of times.
My point is that if given information that proves to be false or has been change yet not updated for the customer, most customers will not attempt to explain the issue away. Instead they spread their story or perhaps call and ask for some sort of compensation. I am not suggesting that this means monetary compensation.

The call center I worked for was a global company, we accepted business from cell phone companies, health insurance networks, television programs that solicited calls from viewers, land line telephone companies, credit card companies and brokerage firms. I will not even pretend that we did not make mistakes but I will say that we took active measures to ensure that information was complete and accurate and that we had tools available for our agents so that they were able to access information quickly and accurately. This makes sense from a business standpoint. Repeat calls are expensive. They create angry and frustrated customers. I have no idea why Disney gets a pass from so many people on this site.

I have no idea why Disney gets a pass from so many people on this site.

You also have to remember - that there's probably many people who do receive correct information that are not DISers and I'm sure there's plenty of other people who do receive correct information but aren't motivated to post about it.

For instance, I received wonderful information for our December 2007 trip. I didn't make it a point to make a thread and say, "Received correct information! YAY!" In general, most people tend to voice their opinions when they have something negative to say (such as trip advisor, etc) so they can save others from their bad experiences and the positive opinions tend to fall silent. That's why you can only take the information you read here or on other websites with a grain of salt - there's thousands upon thousands of people who call and visit Disney everyday, I'm willing to bet a good majority of them who did receive accurate information. They're just not saying anything because there's no need to.

That leaves a handful of people that mentioned something here on the DIS, not even 1% of the population that calls or visits Disney. If this was such a widespread problem and not just a mistake here and there, you definitely would see a response from Disney. Disney has been fantastic in all areas of customer service from my perspective and from other threads I've read here. They've gone above and beyond countless times to accomodate people.

So, just because a handful of people are complaining that they received incorrect information doesn't mean it's happening to everyone else.

So, just because a handful of people are complaining that they received incorrect information doesn't mean it's happening to everyone else.
I agree. I had a wonderful CM on the phone today when I made my reservations, but I didn't bother to post about it. But I will now, she made all my reservations, all 21 of them, in less then 20 minutes. I was able to get everything I wanted, at the time, or close to the time I wanted.

I am not sure that you are correct.

I can only speak from my experiences but cell phone companies are the worst and, again in my experience, they will actively lie to you to sell their product. Then they hide behind magically extending contracts and never ending phone queues when you have a problem. JD Power consumer satisfaction ratings, of which cell phone companies are the lowest, would seem to suggest I'm not alone.

Go to a furniture store and ask about the warranties. Again, in my experience, they will lie to you. If you don't know what I'm talking about ask a Rooms To Go rep about their lifetime warranties.

Ask a Circuit City / Best Buy sales rep about the upcoming switch to digital over the air tv transmission in 2009. They will lie to you to get you to buy a HDTV. This was backed up recently in a AP investigation of how stores were handling this problem.

When I finally bought my HDTV in July of 2006 I choose to go with Directv over Cable because they were supposed to have the premier lineup of HD channels starting in October of 2006. Well, in October of 2007 I finally started seeing those new HD channels. I was told a blatant lie - they knew full well that new channels were not going to be launched within a year, much less 3 months. I'm also still waiting on my HD locals that were promised back in 2006 as well.

The problem is you have to already know the answer to the questions you're asking to know whether you are being lied to or not. Lots of people will buy that $2000+ TV and never realize that a simple converter that the governement would have sent you a rebate for would have sufficed.

While I have listened as people at Disney have given me what I knew was bad information it is nothing that rose to the level of deceit that I find to be commonplace with most companies these days.

You also have to remember - that there's probably many people who do receive correct information that are not DISers and I'm sure there's plenty of other people who do receive correct information but aren't motivated to post about it.

For instance, I received wonderful information for our December 2007 trip. I didn't make it a point to make a thread and say, "Received correct information! YAY!" In general, most people tend to voice their opinions when they have something negative to say (such as trip advisor, etc) so they can save others from their bad experiences and the positive opinions tend to fall silent. That's why you can only take the information you read here or on other websites with a grain of salt - there's thousands upon thousands of people who call and visit Disney everyday, I'm willing to bet a good majority of them who did receive accurate information. They're just not saying anything because there's no need to.

That leaves a handful of people that mentioned something here on the DIS, not even 1% of the population that calls or visits Disney. If this was such a widespread problem and not just a mistake here and there, you definitely would see a response from Disney. Disney has been fantastic in all areas of customer service from my perspective and from other threads I've read here. They've gone above and beyond countless times to accomodate people.

I agree that most get good customer service. I also do think that that Disney CM's do not all give the same information and the general consensus is that you can call back until you get eh answer that you want. I know that dining plan questions have been an issue since I started reading posts here.

My point really is that when someone posts that they have had an issue with Disney CM's many get "beat up" here. I don't understand that, if misinformation is provided it is a mistake. I don't get the posts stating that insofar as Disney is concerned the buyer must be the one to bear all responsibility to educate themselves. Disney is a company and should be accountable for the information that it provides.

I don't see why you expect to be compensated. If they sent you information for a 2007 plan you should know that it's not valid for 2008. No one was expecting drastic changes, but common sense tells me to at least ask questions like, "Will the 2007 plan be the same as the 2008 plan?"

I just don't understand the compensation aspect at all. :confused3

And by the way, if you received information in September 2007 is WAS valid for the upcoming months through December. How are they to know whether you're booking for December 2007 or January 2008? I think you just didn't ask the right questions. You have to empower yourself with information. I know there was a lot of miscommunication with the Dining Plan changes but I still don't think that entitles anyone to anything.

Disney Guest Relations probably receives thousands of e-mails. I highly doubt they respond to every single one. Just take it with a grain of salt, either cancel the DDP or continue on with it and enjoy your vacation. It's not the end of the world.

Sorry for the snarkiness, but it just really ticks me off when people immediately expect compensation for something that truly didn't impact them negatively. Maybe it annoyed you, but should you be compensated because you were annoyed? Judge Judy always says no to that! LOL :)

I have not even read the rest of this thread, but I have to say ITA with the above post. Why would you (and I may find out after posting this so pardon me if already answered) expect to be compensated? What exactly would they compensate you with? Your $200 deposit? After all, that is all you had paid at this point was it not? :confused3

I went back and looked at your posts within this thread and don't see any particular questions

Actually, I did ask a question and received not one single answer out of the 117 responses to my post! :confused3

Should I push this further? Has anybody else made complaints to Disney and did you get any response?

I did not ask if it was ethical for me to (gasp!) request "compensation" (learnt my lesson there...) but if it was "normal" to get no response to my complaint (whether it be legitimate or not). THAT was the point of my original post!:rotfl:

OP;)

Actually, I did ask a question and received not one single answer out of the 117 responses to my post! :confused3

I did not ask if it was ethical for me to (gasp!) request "compensation" (learnt my lesson there...) but if it was "normal" to get no response to my complaint (whether it be legitimate or not). THAT was the point of my original post!:rotfl:

OP;)
She was quoting a different poster who had not asked any questions, unless you and grannysandy are the same person? :confused3

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter