• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

No response to Dining Plan Complaint...

Status
Not open for further replies.

CanadianMouse

Earning My Ears
Hi all, I’m new to the boards!:hippie:

In September 2007, Disney sent me the Planning DVD and Dining Plan pamphlet. Both referred to the 2007 plan. Logically, if I am requesting the info in September, I am assuming that Disney will send me valid information for the coming months.:sad2:

On January 3rd 2008, I called the Disney Reservations to book for August 2008 (10 days at the Coronado with DDP) No mention was made of the changes to the DDP even after I mentioned that I had received the DVD in September and asking if there was anything else that I should know.

In February, I heard about the changes to the DDP and was quite upset that this was not mentioned to me when I reserved. Also, it would have been very easy for Disney to have included a small note with the DVD informing me that there would be changes in 2008. Nothing on their website either, except for the fine print on the new version of the DDP pamphlet (which I never looked at since I believed Disney had sent it to me in September!)

I sent a polite email stating my dissatisfaction at the way this was handled by Disney, that the changes should have been clearly explained either on their website, or by Reservations. I then requested if any compensation would be available to me, since I did not enjoy starting off my Disney “Adventure” thinking I had been mislead.

I received absolutely no response to my email, aside from the automated response thanking me and stating that “Your message is very important to us and we'll be getting back to you as soon as possible” I waited 3 weeks and sent them a “reminder” note, telling them that this was not the customer service I expected from Disney. It has been 3 weeks since I sent the second note and still no response. :hourglass

I am now more upset at the fact that Disney appears to be ignoring me that at the changes to the DDP!! Should I push this further? Has anybody else made complaints to Disney and did you get any response?

I am not too pleased with the Mouse right now…:mad: :mad:

Karyn

I don't see why you expect to be compensated. If they sent you information for a 2007 plan you should know that it's not valid for 2008. No one was expecting drastic changes, but common sense tells me to at least ask questions like, "Will the 2007 plan be the same as the 2008 plan?"

I just don't understand the compensation aspect at all. :confused3

And by the way, if you received information in September 2007 is WAS valid for the upcoming months through December. How are they to know whether you're booking for December 2007 or January 2008? I think you just didn't ask the right questions. You have to empower yourself with information. I know there was a lot of miscommunication with the Dining Plan changes but I still don't think that entitles anyone to anything.

Disney Guest Relations probably receives thousands of e-mails. I highly doubt they respond to every single one. Just take it with a grain of salt, either cancel the DDP or continue on with it and enjoy your vacation. It's not the end of the world.

Sorry for the snarkiness, but it just really ticks me off when people immediately expect compensation for something that truly didn't impact them negatively. Maybe it annoyed you, but should you be compensated because you were annoyed? Judge Judy always says no to that! LOL :)

I had just found out about the changes and was hoping that it was an actual mistake on their part and that they had forgot to include the new paphlet or or to inform me during reservations. It is possible... even Disney makes mistakes. And when a large corporation makes mistakes I thought it normal that they might offer some kind of compensation.

From all the reading I have done lately on the board, it seem that Disney did not make a mistake but purposely kept the changes "low profile" on their website. Also, I did not specifically ask for a 2007 paphlet. To avoid any confusion, Disney should have included both the 2007 and 2008 versions since it was already late in the year. And having reserved in the first week of January, would it have been too much trouble for the reservations clerk to say"...oh, by the way, you DO know about the changes, right?" Had this been done, I would have been fine with the whole thing and would have still taken the DDP.

I am not a seasoned veteran to Disney, it is the first trip for me and my family and I am simply disappointed, that's all. As for not responding to my email complaint because they receive so many... they responded to my email asking about height restrictions on one of the rides withing 24 hours!
I really think they are trying to avoid the whole situation since they realize that they should have been more clear to everybody from the start.

I wouldn't accept my email being ignored by any other hotel or resort or by any other big business. I am 100% certain that I won't get anywhere with my email but I needed to speak out about the situation. A simple response to say "sorry for the inconvenience and we appreciate your business" would be the norm!

All that to say that we aren't canceling the DDP and are still going, and are still ooking forward to an exciting week!

Karyn:wizard:

I don't see why you expect to be compensated. If they sent you information for a 2007 plan you should know that it's not valid for 2008. No one was expecting drastic changes, but common sense tells me to at least ask questions like, "Will the 2007 plan be the same as the 2008 plan?"

I just don't understand the compensation aspect at all. :confused3

And by the way, if you received information in September 2007 is WAS valid for the upcoming months through December. How are they to know whether you're booking for December 2007 or January 2008? I think you just didn't ask the right questions. You have to empower yourself with information. I know there was a lot of miscommunication with the Dining Plan changes but I still don't think that entitles anyone to anything.

Disney Guest Relations probably receives thousands of e-mails. I highly doubt they respond to every single one. Just take it with a grain of salt, either cancel the DDP or continue on with it and enjoy your vacation. It's not the end of the world.

Sorry for the snarkiness, but it just really ticks me off when people immediately expect compensation for something that truly didn't impact them negatively. Maybe it annoyed you, but should you be compensated because you were annoyed? Judge Judy always says no to that! LOL :)

I have no problem with the snarkiness!! I agree.. I see it way too many times!! Like I always say if you are paying appx $3,000 or more on a vacation , I sure hope you did your homework on every aspect of that vacation and that includes reading ALL the small print.

I am not a seasoned veteran to Disney, it is the first trip for me and my family and I am simply disappointed, that's all. As for not responding to my email complaint because they receive so many... they responded to my email asking about height restrictions on one of the rides withing 24 hours!
I really think they are trying to avoid the whole situation since they realize that they should have been more clear to everybody from the start.

I wouldn't accept my email being ignored by any other hotel or resort or by any other big business. I am 100% certain that I won't get anywhere with my email but I needed to speak out about the situation. A simple response to say "sorry for the inconvenience and we appreciate your business" would be the norm!

Karyn:wizard:

Glad your looking forward to an exciting vacation. I will have to say as a customer service rep for the last 20 some odd years (for the auto industry) you got the standard reply. Very rarely do large companies have the resources to reply to emails individually. How did you book your trip? Is their a customer service # where you can call and speak with a human?

Not sure why or how you want to continue to push this. Since the ddp is voluntary the most I can see you getting is an apology for the ambiguity and an offer to remove the ddp from your vacation. Don't think any other compensation would be deserved.

according to the website for the dining plan...

Package features for all plans are subject to change and may be based on features available at time of arrival, not those in effect at time of booking.

they have covered themselves in the event changes have or will occur. unless you specifically said to them, 'i have the info from the dining plan for 2007, is it all still the same for 2008?' and they said yes, then they did not give you false information. if you don't like the changes to the plan, you can cancel it and pay OOP for dining, but depending on when you are going, you may have the option of free dining discount if it is offered. so the whole point would be moot if it were free. if they had to tell everyone who called about any changes made to everything without being asked specific questions they would be on the phone all day with 1 person.

I don't understand what you want to get compensated for?

You didn't actually suffer any damages. It's not like if they told you over the phone for sent you another planning DVD you would get the 2007 plan. It would be the same price for the same product no matter what.

You can also cancel any or all of the trip at anytime if you don't believe it's a good deal anymore. (By the way, that's a much better way of showing your displeasure, not with emails but by canceling your trip, hits them in the pocket books and all that).

Also there is a price difference between the 2007 and 2008 plan.. did you not question the price difference when you booked? I would think that is a huge red flag that the plan is not the same.

I just wanted you to know that you are not alone. I booked the third week of January 2008. I did not know about the dining plan. The rep doing the booking sold me on it. She told me that tips and apps. were included. It was only after I started reading this forum that I realized she had mislead me. I emailed and got a message on my answering machine asking if I wanted to cancel. I can't cancel because this is a trip that has been planned for 3 years. I am taking my entire family. The tips are going to cost me more that $1000.00 total. What do I do? Tell them oops you are going to have to eat peanut butter and jelly instead of the wonderful schedule I told you about. LOL. I am busily looking for ways to come up with the cash. Also spending alot of time going over everything else they told me expecting to find more lies. I am determined that we will have a wonderful vacation in spite of their employees who don't know what is going on. Sometimes you just have to get over it. We can't change them!

I'm sorry things were misrepresented to you. They have covered themselves though with that line that says things can change at any moment.

I feel especially bad for you, GrannySandy because that is a lot of cash to come up with and you called in Jan. I thought they knew then. don't know what happened there.

But, you both learned an important lesson........and I'm not being light about this either........this board will let you know EVERYTHING! I know you are new and I wish you could have made your way here before your planning. But at least you know now where to come to. It's sad to say, Disney is NOT the place to go for info. It's here.

I hope everything works out for both of you and I'm sure when you get past this snaffu, you will have an awesome trip!:wizard:

I downloaded the Disney Dining plan for 2008 from the original Disney page on this date and time: Friday 24 Augustus 2007, 14:03:10.
That means that the information was already available on the internet when you booked.
Why should Disney compensate you for information that was there for everyone to see?

GrannySandy,

Does Disney record the phone conversations? Alot of companies do to protect themselves. Because if they really told you that tips and apps where included when you called in January 2008, then you might want to pursue this further.

I would give them a call to ask them if they could review the phone conversation.

As for myself, I guess I just put too much trust in the Disney Rep and will have to live with my mistake. No, they did not lie to me and were very helpfull on other points. But the extra $300 or so will still hurt, considering we have been saving up for it for 2 years.

This is our first family vacation and the only one for several years. I would love to be able to go several times a year or even every year like some people here. But from Montreal, plane tickets alone cost us $2500! :scared1: That's why I really want everthing to be perfect.

I feel bad for you and hope everything works out well for you and your family. It sound like a vacation of a lifetime and I hope you have a great time! :dance3: :grouphug:

Please please please, also ask for hard copy information on any package/dining plan you purchase. Of course, it's available on the internet but if you don't always have access you should ask the CM when you book to send you the dining brochure (if booking for the next year, ask if the new brochure is available).

CanadianMouse

I feel your pain. I, too, was misled about the dining plan when I booked in January. I didn't find out until weeks after I made the full payment, and boy was I pissed.

I believe when you call Disney Travel Company to get information -- they should PROVIDE the necessary information regarding the subject you're asking about, verbally, at that time. They push so hard to make a sale when you're on the phone, but they don't tell you the relevant facts.

We have no recourse for the misinformation because Disney lawyers have covered themselves with disclaimers. It really, really stinks.:headache:

Unfortunately, you will get precious little sympathy or understanding on the disboards. I'm so sorry! :confused3

Planning a Disney trip can be fun yet complicated task - especially if you are new to it. I can understand where the op is coming from. It can be confusing and overwhelming. Perhaps venting and some little understanding from us will go a long way.

Have a great trip :goodvibes

I booked our February 2008 trip in November of 2007. I received a 2008 Dining Plan Brochure not long after I booked, it was around December. In that brochure it stated in bold print that there were changes from 2007 to 2008 including the gratuity difference. Since I chose the DxDP it didn't mention anything about the appetizer because the DxDP includes the appetizer.

I booked through Disney Travel.

Sorry is you were given misleading info from CRO, or maybe, being new to booking with WDW.....you were unaware of a few key questions, which can eliminate many misunderstandings.....like what are the changes at WDW, for 2008, that will affect my reservation, or since the price on the DDP went down....did the plan change??

The 2008 dining changes has been posted on the WDW website since at least the beginning ot Sept. 2007 or earlier (because we knew long before our last vacation) Too bad you did not talk to the same CM's at CRO, that I have over the last 5 mos....(on 4 occasions) because each CM made sure to inform me of the new 2008 dining changes.

Also, you said you ordered the WDW DVD...did you call them or do this on-line???? Because I called for the new DVD yesterday ( for my parents) and they asked the year and date of their next possible trip. Also, we rec'd our DVD this week...and I do not recall seeing any info about the DDP they did not include a DDP brochure???

I do agree with the majority here, that compensation should not be expected in this case......other than WDW offering to remove the DDP.
And thank goodness for the DisBoard, which helps all of us, be wise WDW consumers.

We have no recourse for the misinformation because Disney lawyers have covered themselves with disclaimers. It really, really stinks.:headache:

Unfortunately, you will get precious little sympathy or understanding on the disboards. I'm so sorry! :confused3

I don't think that's true, we really do sympathize, it stinks any time you expect one thing and get another and disney is expensive enough without popping another grand on to the tab. We are trying to get her to see it from all points though, no one is going to automatically agree with you. OP said she wants compensation, imo compensation is not warranted. I've seen plenty of post here reeming disney justifiably.
One of the problems I have with Disney vacations is that I some times think we get pixie dust in our brains when we plan a disney vacation. We automatically think just because it's Disney every thing will be "Perfect". People come to disney and think "crime doesn't happen", "CM's are always happy & jolly" and every one knows all the current information, that is just so unrealistic for a company with 100,000 employees. They operate just like any other vacation venue.

What email address did you use, Last year some one called me, I used the general Disney site contact us with the canned pull down menus and selected resort reservations. Some one called in a week. Didn't get the anwers I wanted but they did call twice.

Please please please, also ask for hard copy information on any package/dining plan you purchase. Of course, it's available on the internet but if you don't always have access you should ask the CM when you book to send you the dining brochure (if booking for the next year, ask if the new brochure is available).

I agree 100%. The CM's are notorious for giving out wrong info all the time. I love when I call and I know more about things than they do :rolleyes: When booking our 2008 trip I was told by one CM that the tip was included and by another that is was not. I emailed Disney because I hated that not everyone was a DIS member and wouldn't know they were receiving the wrong info. I was contacted my a nice lady and I just told her that the CM's were giving out all kind of different answers to the same questions. Sometimes we forget that not everyone booking a WDW trip hangs out here and is in the know. I feel sorry for them because I have received some way out there info from CM's :headache:

CanadianMouse

I feel your pain. I, too, was misled about the dining plan when I booked in January. I didn't find out until weeks after I made the full payment, and boy was I pissed.

I believe when you call Disney Travel Company to get information -- they should PROVIDE the necessary information regarding the subject you're asking about, verbally, at that time. They push so hard to make a sale when you're on the phone, but they don't tell you the relevant facts.

That was the other reason I contacted customer service. :sad2: A pushy rude CM. Some people should not work in customer service!

I'm sorry you all were mislead and I hope that you can all have a nice trip anyway , whether it is Disney or elsewhere :)

Our first family trip I called CRO and booked our trip. I wasn't even offered the DDP and had no clue it even existed. We booked in December for our Jan trip (4th family trip and dis educated) and was told about the dining plan changes by the cm at CRO. We declined for that trip. We booked last month for May, using the DxDDP this time since we can without buying tickets now(special AP rate). The CM explained the plan to us and answered all of our questions. We just recieved a packet of trip info and a dining plan brochure this week. We were impressed with the wealth of information we did recieve. Maybe Disney has listened to the complaints and improved.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter