No Pool Noodles Allowed

Maybe it's at the guard's discretion? :confused3 Maybe that's why there is not uniformity with all the pools?

I'm wondering if too many noodles in the pool plus too many people at the same time make for a bad pool experience. Out of all the flotation devices, I think that the noodles are the least offensive and really don't understand why they aren't allowed.

The reason that many pools do not allow any floating things is becuase they block the view fo the lifeguards. I did not understand why SAB allowed them, they are very distracting. I knwo at home, no public pool or our public beaches on teh lakes allow any of these noodles, etc when the guards are on duty. No exceptions.

Some people also to think they are a flotation device as well. Most pools here do not allow them. Only coast guard approved flotation devices such as life jackets.

I don't understand, we are grown women not using these for a life support but a relaxing way to stay afloat.

I saw The 15s solve this "problem" last week.lol:)

They would use one of the adult life vests at Surfboard Bay at All-Star Sports to "support" their head/neck area and put their feet on the edge of the pool so that they could "float" in the water while tanning and stay cool.lol:)

The real issue, and we have the issue it at our group's hotels, is visibility to the bottom of the pool. Lifeguards have to be able to have an unobstructed view. Any things like noodles can block that view. The more there are the more blockage therefor it is best just to not allow them. Don't want to lose someone cause they couldn't be seen when drowning. And the lifeguards are in charge of the pools and management cannot change the rules they impose. It's all about how comfortable the lifeguards are with the pool conditions at any given time.

I don't think noodles block any view, not like swim rings. We've been bringing them for a few years, to POR, YC, poly & GF, nobody's said anything to us. We just use them to relax & float. We put them under our arms, makes a nice rest. Doesn't take up any room and we aren't throwing them around. We bring them from home, have the blow up noodles. But I've bought them there too.
I guess we go during low season, mid August. I've not found the pools too crowded where I couldn't float around.

Why is it unfortunate that a CM knows the rules, and follows the rules to ensure safety for all?
:confused3

I'm actually one of the most safety-minded people around. My kids family has even nick-named me "the safety monitor" That being said, I stand by my opinion that 2 adults using pool noodles does not strike me as the least bit dangerous. The OP said they were not bothering anyone else. I believe that adults can and should be responsible for their own safety in pools. I understand if a pre-schooler was floating around on one, yes that would be an issue. I also get it if there were a whole bunch of people at that time, adults and children, and several were using noodles or non-official floatation devices, the CM would need to ask everyone to not use them. Or if it was just crowded enough that they needed to be extra careful at that particular time, I get that too. But if they were the only ones with noodles at the time, and the pools was not very crowded, then yes, I do think it is silly and unfortunate that they were asked to stop using them.

I think things like this can really vary. We used a float for my son while staying at Pop. Used it multiple times, no one said anything. Then one day we got called over and told we couldn't use it. Pool wasn't busy, but I guess that particular lifeguard didn't like it. :confused3

I'm actually one of the most safety-minded people around. My kids family has even nick-named me "the safety monitor" That being said, I stand by my opinion that 2 adults using pool noodles does not strike me as the least bit dangerous. The OP said they were not bothering anyone else. I believe that adults can and should be responsible for their own safety in pools. I understand if a pre-schooler was floating around on one, yes that would be an issue. I also get it if there were a whole bunch of people at that time, adults and children, and several were using noodles or non-official floatation devices, the CM would need to ask everyone to not use them. Or if it was just crowded enough that they needed to be extra careful at that particular time, I get that too. But if they were the only ones with noodles at the time, and the pools was not very crowded, then yes, I do think it is silly and unfortunate that they were asked to stop using them.

Unfortunately, it is not always that simple. When you consider that there are thousands upon thousands of guests using WDW pools each year, how hard would it be for lifeguards to keep consistent rules in place that satisfy all of the safety standards Disney has in place? You say adults should be responsible for their own safety and I agree, however we have found that while in Disney, Disney is generally held accountable for everyone's safety, and so they take precautions to ensure they, as well as you, are covered. If we break down the rules, how many people is too many people? How far apart should they be in order to be sure that the lifeguards have a clear view? Is the number of people going to change based on size? Age? Number of others who have noodles? And then God forbid, if an accident occurs.....who do we blame? If an adult is present with a child, is that adult responsible? If a child is hurt who was not using a noodle, but an unrelated adult was using one, is that adult responsible? The lifeguard? Disney?

We just had an unspeakable tragedy occur that enlightened us how rules and signs are interpreted differently by any number of people, and that what I may consider to be common sense or common knowledge is in fact, not always the case. After all of the discussions about that accident, I rather doubt that when it comes to water safety Disney will play fast and loose with safety rules.

I imagine CMs are letting fewer violations of any kind slip by these days. People breaking safety rules because they think it's not a big deal has Disney under serious scrutiny right now and I would not be surprised if all CMs have been told to be extra careful.
I bet that there will be very little wiggle room moving forward.

It seems strange that it's a pool by pool rule vs. a WDW wide rule. Wouldn't whatever reason prevented them from being used at Resort A apply at Resort B too?

The reason that many pools do not allow any floating things is becuase they block the view fo the lifeguards. I did not understand why SAB allowed them, they are very distracting. I knwo at home, no public pool or our public beaches on teh lakes allow any of these noodles, etc when the guards are on duty. No exceptions.
Really? Wow. Our town pool doesn't restrict anything. Floats, noodles, toys, any of it is allowed. We'll count ourselves lucky I suppose.

Our community pool allows noodles for floating. Guess we are lucky too.

I find our lifeguards pretty attentive, too. They made one person in shorts go get a bathing suit -- that's the rule.

I can see how floats can obstruct the lifeguards' views or trap someone under them, which could be dangerous. Noodles? Much less noodles a person is sitting on? That does not seem obstructive.

Lifeguards have discretion, I'm sure.

It seems strange that it's a pool by pool rule vs. a WDW wide rule. Wouldn't whatever reason prevented them from being used at Resort A apply at Resort B too?

Really? Wow. Our town pool doesn't restrict anything. Floats, noodles, toys, any of it is allowed. We'll count ourselves lucky I suppose.

I was surprised when the lifeguards at out lake beach wouldn't let any devices be used while they were on watch. They did explain why.

As to the WDW pools, I think that the pool to pool thing is not okay.

I guess I have just gotten used to the no noodles thing do to the rules around here. I am a good swimmer, but I am a lousy floater, so when I want to just float around I just use a life jacket.

I guess we'll just have to disagree on this. I believe rules are rules.

Why is it unfortunate that a CM knows the rules, and follows the rules to ensure safety for all?
:confused3

...because then we can't use pool noodles. :D

I've never seen an issue at SAB. It must be a capacity related policy. I can see them being annoying if there are a lot of people in a small area. (And all the MK resort pools are SMALL!!)

We were just at BWV and used the main pool 2 times and there were pool noodles laying over one of the elephants trunks and everyone from kids to adults were using them and then putting them back when they were done. I know my kids played with them when they were in there.

This has been an eye opening discussion for me. I must admit I've never heard of the no noodle rule. And on one resort thread there was an active pool noodle sharing sign up! So this is news to many of us.
I do understand no rings or floats, they do obstruct vision.

I don't know how or when lifeguards enforce things, but the worst thing I ever saw was last year at Poly pool, a toddler was floating by herself in a swim ring with water wings on, with no adult in sight at night. I don't understand how the lifeguards allowed her in the pool alone. She must have been all of 3 yrs.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter