Next Batch of Cruises

But in general it is confirmation that DCL sees their business model as lots of short cruises to the Bahamas. That’s what the fleet expansion brings us. Not more interesting destinations. To me it looks like that even the European itineraries have become much more boring…
I always say that there's a difference between "travel" and "vacation." Travel is when you want to see new things, explore the world, and experience new cultures. Vacation is when you want to escape from real life, recharge your batteries, and spend quality time with loved ones.

Some trips are both, but Disney (in everything it offers) definitely leans more towards "vacation."

But in general it is confirmation that DCL sees their business model as lots of short cruises to the Bahamas. That’s what the fleet expansion brings us. Not more interesting destinations. To me it looks like that even the European itineraries have become much more boring…

Well that is their main market in the end.

Well that is their main market in the end.
It didn’t use to be. Before the Wish it was one ship doing short cruises to Bahamas, one doing 7 night Caribbean cruises, one ship doing Alaska and one Europe in the summer. So, 1/4 was short cruises Bahamas. Now they have three ships doing short cruises, so 1/2. Yes, Europe got a bigger ship, but that pales in comparison to the capacity they put into the short cruises.

I always say that there's a difference between "travel" and "vacation." Travel is when you want to see new things, explore the world, and experience new cultures. Vacation is when you want to escape from real life, recharge your batteries, and spend quality time with loved ones.

Some trips are both, but Disney (in everything it offers) definitely leans more towards "vacation."
See, I don’t think a 3 night cruise is a vacation. But that might just be me. 😊

I agree. We still have 1 kid in college, so looking at summer cruises... August is cheaper but the Europe cruises are mostly short boring ones in August and no desire to sail the Caribbean in summer, especially in the height of hurricane season. I think we're doing Alaska again but the Icy Strait Point port one so we get a new to us port... unfortunately can't afford the 9 night Alaska in July with 4 people. It'll be fun though...kids will be 21/25 next year vs the 12/16 on the last Alaska cruise, and Wonder got refurbed after our 2016 cruise.

It didn’t use to be. Before the Wish it was one ship doing short cruises to Bahamas, one doing 7 night Caribbean cruises, one ship doing Alaska and one Europe in the summer. So, 1/4 was short cruises Bahamas. Now they have three ships doing short cruises, so 1/2. Yes, Europe got a bigger ship, but that pales in comparison to the capacity they put into the short cruises.

Most people can't afford the long disney cruises also anymore. They are stupid expensive.

Most people can't afford the long disney cruises also anymore. They are stupid expensive.
Per night the longer cruises are usually cheaper than the short ones but I get what you're saying. A big thing I've seen over the years cruising with Disney is a lot of people also hit the parks with their cruise. So they may spend 3-5 days in the parks then jump on a 3 day cruise to top it off.

Another aspect is longer cruises is hard with little kids. Especially during non school breaks. Hard to have kids skipping school. Kids get bored quicker, etc. Plus a lot of parents are worried their kids may not handle cruising well which is another big draw for the short cruises.

Per night the longer cruises are usually cheaper than the short ones but I get what you're saying. A big thing I've seen over the years cruising with Disney is a lot of people also hit the parks with their cruise. So they may spend 3-5 days in the parks then jump on a 3 day cruise to top it off.

Another aspect is longer cruises is hard with little kids. Especially during non school breaks. Hard to have kids skipping school. Kids get bored quicker, etc. Plus a lot of parents are worried their kids may not handle cruising well which is another big draw for the short cruises.

Yeah we definitely booked the 4 night because we weren't sure how the kids would handle it. I'm glad we did, because our 3.5 year old who *should* be potty trained decided that it's not for her at the moment. The older one lived at the kids club so it was my husband and me and the younger one almost the entire time. We got her in the nursery for when we did Palo brunch, but even that resulted in messages from the nursery.

I thought the Singapore ship was sailing next year? See nothing that stands out..especially for the
prices. Will stick with booked Treasure cruise for now and really because there are so few longer cruises.

Every 7 night or longer we have been on has been full or nearly full but it seems they are shifting going
forward. For us having been to the Caribbean over 20 times the Treasure will be the destination and the vacation. For as much as it is costing I don't care it was all sea days. lol

Might be a one and done but still excited. :goodvibes

Last edited:
Yeah we definitely booked the 4 night because we weren't sure how the kids would handle it. I'm glad we did, because our 3.5 year old who *should* be potty trained decided that it's not for her at the moment. The older one lived at the kids club so it was my husband and me and the younger one almost the entire time. We got her in the nursery for when we did Palo brunch, but even that resulted in messages from the nursery.
Awe that's hard! I get it tho! Kids are all so different and handle things differently. That's really why I love DCL and those short sailings. It gives a really good opportunity for a successful fun cruise because you never know with kids. Personally, I've sailed on a lot of cruise lines but if we would have tried one of the others first I don't think I'd ever want to sail with my kids again lol.

Not just folks with kids want to test the waters (no pun intended). I know adults who have never cruised who felt more comfortable trying a short one first.

What shift? They're doing the exact same 7-nights they've always one. One in Europe, one in Alaska, and one in the Caribbean. There was no shift.

View attachment 841836
I meant with the Fantasy. Having gone on the Wish a couple times ..my least favorite layout. And the Treasure
is sister ship. It was ok for shorter itineraries. Fantasy is our favorite ship for 7 nights/longer with their private island.

Last edited:
Not just folks with kids want to test the waters (no pun intended). I know adults who have never cruised who felt more comfortable trying a short one first.
Some people (myself included) just really like the private islands, too. My favorite itinerary is 7-night Alaska but my second favorite is 5-night double-dip.

I’m already worried about which Alaska cruise to book, I know you can’t control the weather but I want to give us the best possible chance of having sunny days.

Looking at the 26th May 2025 sailing date but second guessing myself.

So someone who is looking for a 7 night on the Dream/Fantasy in North America is probably not going to see it, correct?
In the summer that's right. TBD what the Fantasy will be doing when it gets back from Europe.

I’m already worried about which Alaska cruise to book, I know you can’t control the weather but I want to give us the best possible chance of having sunny days.

Looking at the 26th May 2025 sailing date but second guessing myself.
July might be rainier but it's also going to be much warmer. I would definitely trade 10 degrees for a slightly higher chance of rain.

In the summer that's right. TBD what the Fantasy will be doing when it gets back from Europe.
Also, the third new ship is supposed to debut in 2025. So, with that there will have to be a new mix. New ship might do short cruises and Fantasy or Dream might be doing some longer cruises, too.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter