New metal detectors

Because I have a constitutional right to be free from illegal or unreasonable search and seizure. And I never said I wouldn't do it. I just resent it. I'm a diabetic and on an insulin pump. My pump doesn't usually set off the metal detectors and isn't sensitive to it, but some glucose sensors can't go through the detectors. Those people have to get patted down every time. I've had that experience at the airport when I had the sensor. Trust me, it's an invasion of your privacy.

You don't need a gun or even something metal to kill someone either. And please don't go there - "it would have happened eventually." You do not and cannot know that. It's irrational fear talking. All I said was I don't like them. You can try to convince me that they're a good thing or they make everyone safer... you may or may not be correct. Either way, I still don't and don't have to like them.
If you don't like it don't go.

I prefer being safe over a handful of people being upset over their misguided feelings of their privacy being invaded. In this day and age people can easily conceal a metal weapon and if the metal detectors stop even one person from causing a major incident than they have done their job.

Because I have a constitutional right to be free from illegal or unreasonable search and seizure. And I never said I wouldn't do it. I just resent it. I'm a diabetic and on an insulin pump. My pump doesn't usually set off the metal detectors and isn't sensitive to it, but some glucose sensors can't go through the detectors. Those people have to get patted down every time. I've had that experience at the airport when I had the sensor. Trust me, it's an invasion of your privacy.

You don't need a gun or even something metal to kill someone either. And please don't go there - "it would have happened eventually." You do not and cannot know that. It's irrational fear talking. All I said was I don't like them. You can try to convince me that they're a good thing or they make everyone safer... you may or may not be correct. Either way, I still don't and don't have to like them.
Your constitutional rights apply to government not private companies. Unless they are being discriminatory in their practice i.e. All people of color are searched but not caucasians or all men but not women, they are within their rights to require you to submit to a metal detector. Heck even the govt can and does do that for some places like airplanes, courthouses etc.

Uh OH this is starting to take a bad turn!! Let's be careful
Not going bad. I have an opinion that differs from other folks. That's OK. We all love Disney and having to go through metal detectors won't stop me or my family from going. I just don't have to like it, that's all.

On my most recent trip (January 11-16), all of the parks were using metal detectors, but not consistently throughout the different parks. While most parks required everyone to go through metal detectors, depending on the park and the time of day, some parks would just search your bag and not make you go through the metal detector unless selected by security.

Personally, I appreciate the added security. While I am sad that Disney World has to worry about this, I am glad that they are taking steps to ensure guest safety and comfort. Additionally, when I was there security was doing a great job of keeping the lines moving quickly - I honestly don't think I waited any longer than I normally did for bag check before the changes were made.

you do have a chose not to go though them. as some people with medical device can not go thought them as it can ruin the medical device.

My mother had a device where she could not go through the metal detector. However, she still needed to be scanned by a wand before she could enter. We would always have to wait at least 3-5 minutes for a woman to come over to us with a wand and that was very frustrating. (She was "randomly chosen" to go through the metal detectors EVERY SINGLE TIME we went to the parks.... sometimes twice a day.)

My mother had a device where she could not go through the metal detector. However, she still needed to be scanned by a wand before she could enter. We would always have to wait at least 3-5 minutes for a woman to come over to us with a wand and that was very frustrating. (She was "randomly chosen" to go through the metal detectors EVERY SINGLE TIME we went to the parks.... sometimes twice a day.)
this is me too I can not go thought the meter detectors at all but my fried has never had too even when they are sending every one else in she never dose.

I don't mind being a dissenting voice here. Personally, I despise the idea that everyone has to go through metal detectors. No, I don't have anything to hide, nor do I even own a gun, let alone would consider carrying one into a theme park. What I don't like is sacrificing my personal privacy in the name of a false sense of security. How many shootings occurred in the parks before metal detectors? How many people have been apprehended trying to sneak a gun into the parks without actually going through a metal detector? As has already been stated, most of the real security goes on unseen. That's why these guys who've tried to sneak a gun in have been caught. Anyone who actually believe that you can just tote an AK-47 or an AR15 into the park has never actually held one and should really check their gun phobia at the gate too. It's called "Security Theater." Look it up.

OP, well said.

I as well do not like having to go through metal detectors and bag search. It doesn't stop me from going, but I just don't like it. Just my opinion, it smacks as something UnAmerican. I'm one of those idealistic citizens who does genuinely believe in innocent until proven guilty. Metal detectors and bag checks turn that around.

From personal experience, security never gets relaxed, it always gets tightened in steps over a period of time. I can foresee that Disney will continue to tighten down security over the coming years, and just because you don't find it uncomfortable now, doesn't mean that you won't continue to like it in the future.

Again from personal experience, the best security is a combination of a visible presence on patrol with a larger unseen presence.

@yulilin3 - I know you're the expert, but just wanted to share a different experience this weekend. We were at MK on Saturday (around noon). DH went through the no-bag line and was directed to the metal detector line. I had a bag and went through a normal bag check (on the left if that matters) and went right to the tapstiles without going through the metal detector. I was in the park for about 5 minutes before he got there and only noted it was strange since I had read this thread. Yesterday morning (shortly after rope drop), DH & I both went through the no-bag line at AK and both did not go through the metal detectors. Seemed like in the past with some folks being sent there and others not. At Epcot on Friday I did encounter what was mentioned here - I went through the bag line and they took my bag and went through it while I walked through the metal detector (similar to how Universal does it). Again I was through more quickly in the bag line than my husband was in the no-bag line!

@yulilin3 - I know you're the expert, but just wanted to share a different experience this weekend. We were at MK on Saturday (around noon). DH went through the no-bag line and was directed to the metal detector line. I had a bag and went through a normal bag check (on the left if that matters) and went right to the tapstiles without going through the metal detector. I was in the park for about 5 minutes before he got there and only noted it was strange since I had read this thread. Yesterday morning (shortly after rope drop), DH & I both went through the no-bag line at AK and both did not go through the metal detectors. Seemed like in the past with some folks being sent there and others not. At Epcot on Friday I did encounter what was mentioned here - I went through the bag line and they took my bag and went through it while I walked through the metal detector (similar to how Universal does it). Again I was through more quickly in the bag line than my husband was in the no-bag line!
Thanks for the report, I'm not an expert at all but I guess they are still only randomly deciding when to put everyone through and when to pick

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter