New metal detectors

If they're adding in more metal detectors, great! If they make everyone go through it, even better.

So there are now a bunch of metal detectors, not just a couple???? I'd much rather go through no bag line and right through metal detector. It did annoy me to go through the line and then have to wait again with people being funneled from several different lines.

Metal detectors are great but it's not going to do anything about the guy who pulls out his Ak 47 before he nears the park entrance and starts shooting...

Nothing will. There's no reasonable way they could prevent someone from driving into the parking lot and walking up to the gates with a gun. But that can be said about airports, malls, pretty much any public space. Sad reality of the world we live in.

As for the metal detectors, I have no issues with it, as long as it remains as efficient as it was last time I was there.

I was at Epcot on Thursday, Saturday and Monday. What they did was add tables for bag check by the gated exits (the ones that look like a gate but are actually doors) on both sides. Metal detectors now right at the bag check tables, there's a CM telling people with strollers ad wheelchairs to go to one side (CM with wands there) then another metal detector for no bags then all the other tables for everyone else. It is more efficient. Everyone has to go through metal detectors now. No matter the time of day

I follow now.. thanks for this description.. I like this direction

I went last sept and at the IG everybody had to go through. Even at the front gates. I think there were only two instances where I did not have to go through metal detectors. It got to the point that we stopped pin trading half way through because puling extra pins from pockets and having to take lanyard off every time. It seemed the only time we didn't have to go through the metal detectors was when we had everything out of our pockets and held in our hands.

Sounds like they are getting more efficient with the process, good for them. Now if they would do a bag check line for wheelchair/stroller, another one for backpacks, another one for regular bags and another one for small bags. I know, I know, how do you determine if your bag is regular or small and what if you have a small backpack? I have a small clear plastic back pack I use on days I know it's 100% going to rain and I'm wearing a sundress so no where to carry a raincoat/poncho or sweater and the security people love it. If they open it at all they just have to stick their hands down the middle because you can see everything. Would I go through the back pack line or the regular bag line? Who knows but there is nothing worse than having a small crossbody just big enough to carry your phone, a small wallet big enough to carry a couple of cards and cash because your dress doesn't have pockets and having to wait behind someone who brought their whole life into the park. I go bag less when I can but women's pants don't have the deepest pockets, my phone won't even fit in my jeans pockets they are so shallow so forget shorts pockets (and yes I know cargo pants but even those for women have tiny pockets).

I was at Epcot on Thursday, Saturday and Monday. What they did was add tables for bag check by the gated exits (the ones that look like a gate but are actually doors) on both sides. Metal detectors now right at the bag check tables, there's a CM telling people with strollers ad wheelchairs to go to one side (CM with wands there) then another metal detector for no bags then all the other tables for everyone else. It is more efficient. Everyone has to go through metal detectors now. No matter the time of day

For more visual context, this was the setup on Sunday. Bags were checked alongside the metal detectors. And under the green umbrella is where those with wheels went and were scanned with a wand
20170115_112433.jpg

A couple weeks ago at MK - there were metal detectors right after the bag check area - but I was not directed to go to them - and you could easily just walk around. But most people seemed to line up to go through them. Was I supposed to go through them? Or were folks just being cattle and following the person in front of them?

At DisneyLAND last summer - now there - the way they had up fences - there it was clear everyone had to go through them - you couldn't just walk around - fences directed you to go through the metal detector.

We were there first week in January and it was only Epcot that made everyone go thru the metal detectors. All pockets had to be emptied etc just like at the airport. All of the other parks were random picks to be scanned. I would say I got selected close to 33% of the time.

Everytime I read a story about some bozo trying to slip a gun into a theme park I think that they should expand the scans to include everyone, every time. Of course it's a pain but hopefully they will get the system down so that it's more efficient. They must just be starting with Epcot as a test run.

@loves to dive - oh, I would love that! If I have to carry a bag (I try and avoid it but the pockets issue does get me at times, especially as I need to carry an inhaler!) I take a small bag with as little in it as possible because I don't want to carry a heavy bag in the heat, and I always end up behind people carrying everything but the kitchen sink whose bags take an age to check!

The metal detectors are not by any means the first line of security at Disney. Most of the security operation is unseen and what is noticed is sometimes intentionally created to be seen.

I don't mind being a dissenting voice here. Personally, I despise the idea that everyone has to go through metal detectors. No, I don't have anything to hide, nor do I even own a gun, let alone would consider carrying one into a theme park. What I don't like is sacrificing my personal privacy in the name of a false sense of security. How many shootings occurred in the parks before metal detectors? How many people have been apprehended trying to sneak a gun into the parks without actually going through a metal detector? As has already been stated, most of the real security goes on unseen. That's why these guys who've tried to sneak a gun in have been caught. Anyone who actually believe that you can just tote an AK-47 or an AR15 into the park has never actually held one and should really check their gun phobia at the gate too. It's called "Security Theater." Look it up.

I don't mind being a dissenting voice here. Personally, I despise the idea that everyone has to go through metal detectors. No, I don't have anything to hide, nor do I even own a gun, let alone would consider carrying one into a theme park. What I don't like is sacrificing my personal privacy in the name of a false sense of security. How many shootings occurred in the parks before metal detectors? How many people have been apprehended trying to sneak a gun into the parks without actually going through a metal detector? As has already been stated, most of the real security goes on unseen. That's why these guys who've tried to sneak a gun in have been caught. Anyone who actually believe that you can just tote an AK-47 or an AR15 into the park has never actually held one and should really check their gun phobia at the gate too. It's called "Security Theater." Look it up.

Just curious here, how does going through the metal detector sacrifice your personal privacy? It's not a full body scan so no one sees anything, it just detects metal. I would think the bag check invades your privacy more since they are rifling through your stuff. They aren't patting you down, if it beeps they wave the wand.

So should they wait until there IS a mass shooting at a park before they try and prevent another? You don't need an AK-47 to kill someone. The airport shooter had a handgun and still managed to kill 5 and injure more. I think it would have happened eventually, and the families of those involved would have wondered why they waited until it did to do something. Bring on the metal detectors.

Just curious here, how does going through the metal detector sacrifice your personal privacy? It's not a full body scan so no one sees anything, it just detects metal. I would think the bag check invades your privacy more since they are rifling through your stuff. They aren't patting you down, if it beeps they wave the wand.
Because I have a constitutional right to be free from illegal or unreasonable search and seizure. And I never said I wouldn't do it. I just resent it. I'm a diabetic and on an insulin pump. My pump doesn't usually set off the metal detectors and isn't sensitive to it, but some glucose sensors can't go through the detectors. Those people have to get patted down every time. I've had that experience at the airport when I had the sensor. Trust me, it's an invasion of your privacy.
So should they wait until there IS a mass shooting at a park before they try and prevent another? You don't need an AK-47 to kill someone. The airport shooter had a handgun and still managed to kill 5 and injure more. I think it would have happened eventually, and the families of those involved would have wondered why they waited until it did to do something. Bring on the metal detectors.
You don't need a gun or even something metal to kill someone either. And please don't go there - "it would have happened eventually." You do not and cannot know that. It's irrational fear talking. All I said was I don't like them. You can try to convince me that they're a good thing or they make everyone safer... you may or may not be correct. Either way, I still don't and don't have to like them.

A couple weeks ago at MK - there were metal detectors right after the bag check area - but I was not directed to go to them - and you could easily just walk around. But most people seemed to line up to go through them. Was I supposed to go through them? Or were folks just being cattle and following the person in front of them?

At DisneyLAND last summer - now there - the way they had up fences - there it was clear everyone had to go through them - you couldn't just walk around - fences directed you to go through the metal detector.

I was there between xmas and NYE. Many people were going through at all parks, but I never went through unless specifically asked to do so. If they don't tell you that you need to go through, then you are fine not going through.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter