New Discounts 8-16-10

well after being on hold for 1 hr and 38 minutes i gave up. called back on hold for 25, gave up. called back again and was on hold for 45 min. finally got through. I had hoped i could apply the room discount to our existing reservation at riverside but of course i cant. we cant get free dining cuz our week is blocked and i cant change our flight so we cant change our dates. so we ended up with the $300.00 gift card. which is great. trying not to complain, but free dining would have saved us $1200, so it is a little upsetting.

I was finally able to get through and book all star music with the discount, saving me $120 and making me happy to know I'm not paying rack rate. :) I'll take the savings -- will go toward buying US passes. LOL.

First, congrats to all of you who were able to get some kind of discount - I'm always happy to read about excited folks who got a great deal!

I was able to get the $500 gift card - I sure don't mind saving $500.

This is the second year in a row, though, that I couldn't score a room discount because such a limited number of GF rooms were eligible for it. It's so frustrating. It's a big splurge for us - our major splurge of the year - and that 30% off wold hhave been more than twice the savings of the $500 gift card. At least last year there were no FD blackout dates and we were able to get that - even FD saved us $1000.

Why are we punished for staying at the flagship resort? It's disheartening, but like I said, $500 is nothing to sneeze at.

Good luck to those of you still trying for a good deal!

Edited to add: Obviously when I say punished I'm exaggerating to make a point - perhaps I should have said "snubbed" instead...;)

:sunny:

Fi

Why are we punished for staying at the flagship resort? It's disheartening, but like I said, $500 is nothing to sneeze at.

Good luck to those of you still trying for a good deal!

I don't think anyone is being punished. I think WDW offers discounts for rooms it's not selling. That is how I have always looked at codes/specials. You always have to be willing to change resorts/room type to sometimes receive the discount. Standard rooms were never avail. for our Feb stay this year in the GP, AP or the PIN we received. They did however, have them for the $500 giftcard offer but that wasn't quite as good as the 40% on the Woods view we were able to get (never had the 45%off for AP for our stay avail) Anyway, that's how I look at it! It's a sale and you kind of have to take what you can!

I can recall, I think 2 years ago, that FD had room discounts at SSR as well as OKW-in addition to receiving free dining. My thoughts were that if they could have filled those rooms without the discount in addition to FD, they would have. So in eoder to fill them a discount was offered as well.

Just wanted to share words of encouragement to all who are still trying to snag a special deal.

My TA tried to get us a room discount at AKL Club Level this morning, and was told over the phone that there were absolutely NO AKL Club rooms available for our dates with any of the special offers.

Long story short... I checked availability online myself, and low and behold an offer for AKL Club Level room for our dates came up at a 25% discount rate. My TA was able to book it for us, saving c. $557 for our six night stay. Wish we could have gotten 40% off, but I am still happy that at least we were not blacked out entirely and were able to save a nice chunk of money on the current deal.

So if you call and aren't offered a discount or other special deal, don't hesitate to check online also. Not sure why, but offers may only show up at one or the other at times. :surfweb:

Don't know if anyone has noticed/posted, but Expedia is carrying the same discounted rates, at least for what I'm looking at in December, and they don't charge extra for the weekends or bump up the price close to Christmas. Downside is that you have to pay the full amount at the time of reservation. But I could save an additional $180 over even the bounceback deal I have at PO-FQ

Maura

I don't think anyone is being punished. I think WDW offers discounts for rooms it's not selling. That is how I have always looked at codes/specials. You always have to be willing to change resorts/room type to sometimes receive the discount. Standard rooms were never avail. for our Feb stay this year in the GP, AP or the PIN we received. They did however, have them for the $500 giftcard offer but that wasn't quite as good as the 40% on the Woods view we were able to get (never had the 45%off for AP for our stay avail) Anyway, that's how I look at it! It's a sale and you kind of have to take what you can!

I can recall, I think 2 years ago, that FD had room discounts at SSR as well as OKW-in addition to receiving free dining. My thoughts were that if they could have filled those rooms without the discount in addition to FD, they would have. So in eoder to fill them a discount was offered as well.

I would normally tend to agree with you, but I have a hard time believing that in the current economy, the GF of all resorts is selling out more of their rooms than the other deluxe resorts. I've stayed there every time except once since 2002, the economy has gotten much worse, and the room discounts available at the GF have all but disappeared! We need them now more than ever before, yet the most expensive of the WDW resorts is consistently booking most of their rooms? Hard to believe...

Why don't more people book online?

When I tried to book online, it was showing me rack rate. I don't see anywhere to enter a code online, or I *would* book it that way! Hanging on the phone for 40 minutes and having the CM mishear me and try to book August instead of October is not really that fun. ;)

When I tried to book online, it was showing me rack rate. I don't see anywhere to enter a code online, or I *would* book it that way! Hanging on the phone for 40 minutes and having the CM mishear me and try to book August instead of October is not really that fun. ;)

To book on line go under special offers.

I already had my res for Dec 2010 and wanted to apply code. It would have cost me $5 more to use the discount as I booked 499 days out and already had a AAA rate. I'm an AP so no other offer was worth my while. I was only on hold for 5 minutes about 20 minutes ago.

I would normally tend to agree with you, but I have a hard time believing that in the current economy, the GF of all resorts is selling out more of their rooms than the other deluxe resorts. I've stayed there every time except once since 2002, the economy has gotten much worse, and the room discounts available at the GF have all but disappeared! We need them now more than ever before, yet the most expensive of the WDW resorts is consistently booking most of their rooms? Hard to believe...

They must feel they will be booked anyway or people will take the discount given rather than none. I thought the fact that AKL was only 25 % off stranger. The Standard rooms for WL pretty much dissappear as well. I think they have the rooms not most booked for the biggest sale price. I don't know what else to think.

I also found it odd that the FD has been extended already for more than a yr. out. That leads me to think WDW bookings in general are underbooked. They probably have the percentages of rooms not yet booked, but should be in their eyes, in some type of discount. Who knows.

It's official! Just heard from my TA that we saved around $700.00 with free dining. We are staying at POP for 10 nights and we upgraded to the regular dining plan. :cool1:

GF was unavailable for the week we're going in November, which is normally a slow week. It kind of confused me but we ended up with Polynesian anyway. I think we'll like it there. The price I received seems pretty good too, especially for a monorail resort.

To book on line go under special offers.

Cool! Thanks! now I see it. Not sure why Disney can't just show you the offers through the regualr reservations page, like Travelocity does. sometimes the Disney site is really hard to navigate (like finding the calendar).

I did check expedia and it would save me $5.50 to rebook and not pay that extra friday amount. Not really worth it at this time, but good to know for the future!

GF was unavailable for the week we're going in November, which is normally a slow week. It kind of confused me but we ended up with Polynesian anyway. I think we'll like it there. The price I received seems pretty good too, especially for a monorail resort.

I'll tell ya something else that was weird - we always book our early-November trip in late-March. This year, there were no more GV rooms available (the least expensive rooms we always book) - not even LV. The least expensive room category was TPV (now you know why I'm crying about not scoring a room discount ;)). Even my long-time Disney TA was stumped about that. She's been checking almost daily since early-April and still no GV rooms. Maybe a convention or big meeting - that would also explain them not needing to discount so many rooms...

I beg your indulgence as you excuse my ignorance.

I have a package that I booked taking advantage of a PIN, resulting in FD during a non-FD period. As the new room discounts have come out, I ran the numbers really quickly (DDP*people*nights vs. package price*.7) without considering taxes, ticket price, etc., and found the numbers were pretty close (18 cents).

What I'm wondering is - are PINs considered offers in the same sense that General Public offers are considered offers? I know that offers are not combinable, but if they aren't both offer offers, then maybe I can swing another offer. Or am I just off?

I beg your indulgence as you excuse my ignorance.

I have a package that I booked taking advantage of a PIN, resulting in FD during a non-FD period. As the new room discounts have come out, I ran the numbers really quickly (DDP*people*nights vs. package price*.7) without considering taxes, ticket price, etc., and found the numbers were pretty close (18 cents).

What I'm wondering is - are PINs considered offers in the same sense that General Public offers are considered offers? I know that offers are not combinable, but if they aren't both offer offers, then maybe I can swing another offer. Or am I just off?

THey are offers just not avail to everyone. only ONE offer per stay, you can stsy some days FD, some days Gift Card etc but not the same days for both offers. You have to figure the best for you. AP holders don't need tickets so many take the room only. Some people like the giftcard to spend as they please, some like FD. PINs are just restricted offers to those that receive them.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter