New code watch - October/November

Tink10 said:
That's funny! The main reason for buying an AP is, most certainly, the park admission, if it weren't, then nobody would buy them.

If you are going to take something I wrote out of context then don't bother responding.

What I wrote was in regard to MY family. There is no real ticket benefit to MY family since we only make it to the park a handful of times during the year.

What made us decide to buy a annual pass was the room discounts and now they aren't even any good.

Minnie's Mate said:
I rest my case.
You know, as I mentioned, I'm really not interested in an argument. This thread has become a place to vent, and has not been very productive. My objective when I post is to be informative and correct misunderstandings. I am in no way an expert on everything Disney, but having worked in the parks for almost 6 years I think I understand the corporate culture of Disney "from the inside." I know it's hard not to take the change personally, but really Disney is not out to anger people.

Buddy Bear said:
If you are going to take something I wrote out of context then don't bother responding.

What I wrote was in regard to MY family. There is no real ticket benefit to MY family since we only make it to the park a handful of times during the year.

What made us decide to buy a annual pass was the room discounts and now they aren't even any good.

No disrespect, but you didn't necessarily clarify that you were speaking of your situation.

In essence, we're talking about a $30 a night difference here, from the first decrease in AP rates about a year and a half ago, or thereabouts. Is it really worth getting so upset?

srfrgrl07 is 100% correct that it was not a decision that was made to intentionally upset a few passholders. It's about revenue & putting an end to abuses.

Buddy Bear said:
Actually people are booking rooms expecting a "good" discounted rate through the regular passholder program. In case everyone has forgotten that used to be one of the perks of the program.

We don't buy annual passes because of the ticket benefit. We only get to Disney once or twice a year; you have to visit WDW around 6 or 7 days to break even which we just about do so there is no real benefit there for us.

The major reason for buying the pass is for the resort discounts which now don't really exist (please don't bring up the best rate program because for the moment until it changes the program is a slap in the face).

I know there are many who do this based on posts on this board but I have never bought an AP for the resort discounts....it gets me into the park. I certainly don't think the program is a slap in the face, I have a great rate in October at Pop and in December at Poly which are pretty much the same as AP/Fl resident rates as last year. My point from my previous posts is that you shouldn't book a room based on an expected discount.....either book what you can pay for or wait until the discounts come out to book.

Buddy Bear said:

Then it seems as though AP's don't work for you if you want them for resort discounts only. I don't think the other poster was taking what you said out of context - that point you are stressing to make is coming across loud and clear...not necessarily for "your family" in your posts.

Tink10 said:
Because they track everything, I'm very sure they looked at the BRP from every angle. I have no doubt that they did surveys and didn't go into this lightly, but the reality, once again, is that if people want the discounts, then they'll book. For every angry person out there who won't book, there is another AP holder who will. A few angry people here are not the majority.

I am an AP holder who will and did book.

I'm not pleased with the non-refundable deposit especially since I booked POP/POR/AKL split stay with three non-refundable deposits.

However, I'm so pleased with the ease with which I was able to secure a room discounted for AP holders. Many times in the past I had to pay rack rates as I wasn't adept at playing the call-in game.

Thanks Tink10 for trying to explain that some of us are pleased with the changes that Disney is implementing. It may not be perfect, but it is better than it was IMHO and I too believe Disney will continue evolving the program.

:flower: Thanks a bunch Michigan!

It's kind of funny because I'm really not the type to debate anything on the boards. I'm more of a lurker on the DVC boards who's there for a chuckle or two. But once I started reading all of the negitive & conflicting info that was being posted about Best Rate, I really felt like there were people out there who may like to book it, but who weren't getting the facts or were being turned off by all of the negitivity.

I just want to see that people get the straight truth about BR & not someones (what could be) jaded opinion. That way, if they want to take advantage of it, they can...... :sunny:

Tink10 said:
In essence, we're talking about a $30 a night difference here, from the first decrease in AP rates about a year and a half ago, or thereabouts. Is it really worth getting so upset?

Last August I got a concierge level room for $250 a night. This year since no rate was released I am paying a AAA rate of $395; for three nights that is a total of $435.00, nowhere near the $30 you speak of.

Our vacation spans three days (the first day is peak season, the next two value season). To avoid paying the peak season rate for all three days I booked two reservations online (one for the first day and one for the next two). The total dollar amount of the deposits for the reservations is $451.58 (I just double-checked the reservations).

Now I find that I can't have these monies transferred to my concierge level room if I choose to cancel the courtyard. So I am left with two choices: 1. Cancel the concierge or cancel the courtyard and effectively throw $451.58 out the window.

I am mad at the program, the way it was implemented, how the information was disseminated, and that no firm decision was made on whether the regular pass holder rates will be released.

We are spending 10 days on vacation (7 on the DCL Western Caribbean and 3 at WL) which will run me upwards of $10,000. Normally I am happy to spend the money, but after this aggravation you better believe I will be looking at other resorts and cruise lines.

I am a new Passholder and all this is very confusing for me. There seems to be very conflicting views about Annual Passholder Benefits. It all very discouraging to new folks.

We are going to WDW in Jan for 13 days, therefore we purchased the pass b/c this was more cost effective for us, rather than buying a limited number of days pass, say 7 or 10 day park hopper. We wanted the freedom to come and go as we wanted on any day for the entire 13 days. We were not interested in the Meal program b/c we do eat good on vacation and most of the places we will eat for dinner would require 2 table service meals anyway. We are just two adults going for a little fun. So, we will do the meals on our own, maybe with the Dining Experience card, or is this not good anymore either?

As fas as the room rates and the online system. I was somewhat confused at first b/c I called Disney to ask about passholder rates and Customer Service was very close-mouthed about the rate. I got nothing from them, just that it was done all online and I would have to buy the pass first. So, knowing that I was going to purchase the pass anyway, I went ahead and bought it. Then called the next morning for my pass # to make the online reservations.

I searched through the rates, adding different type rooms and resorts until I found a rate at one that I thought would work for us. Normally, we would stay in a deluxe resort, but on this trip I decide to try the value. More money to spend in the parks and shopping. The rate that I was able to book for Jan 6-19 was great to me. But I guess being new to the pass, that I must not know what I am missing, b/c why would anyone expect to pay less than around $80/night at Disney. Is it normally way better than this? For a Preferred Location, King bed at Pop Century. If this is not the best rate for this time, Disney will reduce it, right? If they reduce the rate anymore. I was just happy with it b/c I was expecting to have to pay $200/night. I hope we are not disappoined in the Pop Century. All I need is a comfortable bed & pillow, but like I told my husband tonight, If we have to go to buy nice mattress pad and pillows for our stay, that was cheaper than upgrading to a better deluxe resort, where the beds may not be any better!

Anfdanother question from you guys, I know that I can not get my refund back, but can I change resorts? Say to the Animal Kingdom for the Savanna view? I also had to make two separate reservations for the 13 nights. I would just wanted to change one!

Hi Travelgirl,

It all can be very confusing, but don't get discouraged....

Best Rates can't be booked via phone, but can be booked by a travel agent.

The rack rate for your King/Preferred room is $91 a night. The Best Rate offers a $20 a night discount, so your total, with tax should be either $79.15 a night for the Pop or $80.59 per night at the All Stars. For that room, that's a great rate & you most likely won't find anyting better. If a lower rate is released, call the number on your email ressie confirmation.

If you want to change resorts, do it as soon as possible, and again, make sure you call the telephone number that's listed on your email ressie confirmation. They'll be able to handle any changes or questions that you may have.

I Hope This Helps!

Buddy Bear said:
OK. NOW I am officially PISSED off!! The other day I was told by a cast member that if I booked online via the Best Rate Program I could cancel the reservation, take that deposit, and apply it to another reservation if I wanted to.

Some background...I booked a concierge level room at WL last year with the hopes of a decent rate. Since this doesn't appeat that it will happed I decided to hedge my bets with a courtyard view for the same three days. After speaking to the aforementioned cast member I booked (yesterday) a courtyard view at WL online.

I called today to check to make sure that everything was in order only to find out by another cast member and guest services that the deposit ($425.00) is not transferrable to my concierge room.

Translation: If I cancel the courtyard view and want to keep the concierge room I lose the $425.00 effectively forcing me to cancel my concierge room or lose the deposit.

It is a good thing the marketing people who thought up this disaster remain nameless, because at this point I am ready to fly to Florida and hunt them down.
So you booked a concierge room at a AAA rate with CRO and then a courtyard view at the BRP online for the same dates with the understanding that the money from one could be transferred to the other once you decided which reservation you wanted...am I correct so far? At this point, given your displeasure for the BRP, I'm curious as to why you double booked, especially online since it is doesn't seem to be the preffered method. I would guess (don't want to assume) that it was becuase the courtyard room at the BRP rate was a "good rate" and the AAA rate on the concierge room was not, which I understand. So cancel the AAA room and the money is refunded. It's as simple as that. If, on the other hand, you've decided that the concierge room is worth the extra cost, I don't know what to tell you since the BRP has a nonrefundable deposit. You can plead your case to Disney and request that they waive the penalty since you already booked your concierge room earlier this year and obviously that's where you really want to stay, but I can't say what their response will be. Either way, with all of the undo stress and disappointment this vacation seems to have thrust upon you, I hope that you enjoy your 10 day cruise and 3 day WDW stay and feel that you got your money's worth..otherwise, enjoy all the other things Orlando has to offer.

Oh, and I had one more question that I forgot to ask. Does the DCL offer AP discounts? I've never heard of any but since many DCL guests do WDW before and/or after a cruise I *figured* they must do something, right?

lillygator said:
My point from my previous posts is that you shouldn't book a room based on an expected discount.....either book what you can pay for or wait until the discounts come out to book.

It is not a matter of booking what you can afford, it is a matter of booking a room, expecting a discount because you are a passholder and not getting one. At least not since the BRP has been implemented.

Buddy Bear said:
It is not a matter of booking what you can afford, it is a matter of booking a room, expecting a discount because you are a passholder and not getting one. At least not since the BRP has been implemented.
I think that's why many AP holders wait until the codes are released. They don't want to book with the hopes that a discount will come out only to be disappointed that it's not what they expected it to be. There are many who booked a value resort for December expecting it to be $49.00 a night like it was last year, then freak out because it's $64.00 this year. Either way, it's cheaper than the $77.00 rate they booked at.

srfrgrl07 said:
At this point, given your displeasure for the BRP, I'm curious as to why you double booked, especially online since it is doesn't seem to be the preffered method.?

I double booked because (as I stated earlier) when I called WDW a cast member told me the deposit from an online booking could be moved to another reservation; which I found out today is not true.

srfrgrl07 said:
I would guess (don't want to assume) that it was becuase the courtyard room at the BRP rate was a "good rate" and the AAA rate on the concierge room was not, which I understand.

Nether rate was good, but it was the lesser of two evils. The AAA rate was the less attractive rate, but 12+ months ago I never thought I would wind up where I am today.

Yes, I want to keep the concierge room, but since I paid $250 last year paying $395 this year is not acceptable. I wouldn't pay $10 for a bottle or water nor do I think a concierge room is worth $395.

srfrgrl07 said:
So cancel the AAA room and the money is refunded. It's as simple as that. If, on the other hand, you've decided that the concierge room is worth the extra cost, I don't know what to tell you since the BRP has a nonrefundable deposit.

What I am mad about is that I don't have a choice anymore; I did before I booked online, but now I don't. I could have spent the extra money for the concierge room, but if I do I throw away $450. So since I was dumb enough to book online with the Best Rate Program the decision has been made for me.

srfrgrl07 said:
Oh, and I had one more question that I forgot to ask. Does the DCL offer AP discounts? I've never heard of any but since many DCL guests do WDW before and/or after a cruise I *figured* they must do something, right

No, there are no discounts for APs.

srfrgrl07 said:
I think that's why many AP holders wait until the codes are released. They don't want to book with the hopes that a discount will come out only to be disappointed that it's not what they expected it to be. There are many who booked a value resort for December expecting it to be $49.00 a night like it was last year, then freak out because it's $64.00 this year. Either way, it's cheaper than the $77.00 rate they booked at.

I totally agree with you but we are traveling right after Thanksgiving and I expected the resort to book up fast so I booked well in advance to lock in the room and fully expected to get a better rate than $395.

Buddy Bear said:
I totally agree with you but we are traveling right after Thanksgiving and I expected the resort to book up fast so I booked well in advance to lock in the room and fully expected to get a better rate than $395.

Again, I'm sorry that you are stressing so much and disappointed that the ratres are higher than what you expected. It seems like you're ok with not being concierge level, maybe try a DVC resort where at least you have extra square footage and a kitchen area where you could bring the extra snacks and beverages that you would have had on the concierge level. The WL has the villas, so you wouldn't be leaving that resort area. You may be able to change your courtyard BRP res to a villa without a fee even if it's only 5.00 more per night...it's still gonna be less than $395.00 unless you need a 2 bdrm. I think when they remodeled the WL concierge rooms they also increased the price recently, but not sure.

I understand that you were concerned about the availability of the room, but you locked in a room not a rate by booking early. They could have decided not to offer any discounts on that room at all, and then the situation would be worse than it is with regards to your expectations. Again, I know that doesn't make you feel any better, but I'm trying to look at both sides so that you can see that it could be worse. I say be thankful for the discounts that are offered and book the vacation that makes you the happiest.

Tink10 said:
I just want to see that people get the straight truth about BR & not someones (what could be) jaded opinion.

What I have stated is the TRUTH and has been documented by Walt Disney World's Guest Communications. They are working on a resolution to my problem and I expect a response sometime tomorrow.

They apologized on several occasions during an earlier phone call and hopefully can come up with a viable solution.

srfrgrl07 said:
Again, I'm sorry that you are stressing so much and disappointed that the ratres are higher than what you expected. It seems like you're ok with not being concierge level, maybe try a DVC resort where at least you have extra square footage and a kitchen area where you could bring the extra snacks and beverages that you would have had on the concierge level. The WL has the villas, so you wouldn't be leaving that resort area. You may be able to change your courtyard BRP res to a villa without a fee even if it's only 5.00 more per night...it's still gonna be less than $395.00 unless you need a 2 bdrm. I think when they remodeled the WL concierge rooms they also increased the price recently, but not sure.

I understand that you were concerned about the availability of the room, but you locked in a room not a rate by booking early. They could have decided not to offer any discounts on that room at all, and then the situation would be worse than it is with regards to your expectations. Again, I know that doesn't make you feel any better, but I'm trying to look at both sides so that you can see that it could be worse. I say be thankful for the discounts that are offered and book the vacation that makes you the happiest.

Thank you. That was the most constructive post I have read in awhile and I appreciate the suggestions. A DVC resort like the WL Villas is something I have thought about.

We don't need two bedrooms; it is really just me and my girls as you can see from the photos.

Once again, thank you.

Buddy Bear said:
I double booked because (as I stated earlier) when I called WDW a cast member told me the deposit from an online booking could be moved to another reservation; which I found out today is not true.

So the cast member should have offered to book it for you. I understand that what you were asking was for the BRP online reservation deposit to be transferred to a AAA reservation (right??) and we all know that they can't book the BRP. As far as I know, the only payment type that can transferred from an online res or a package res to a room only booked over the phone is a check payment..and online reservations do not allow check payments I don't think. If you have the name of who you talked to, I would call and speak to someone about it very soon and explain the situation...you are staying at wdw either way, maybe you'll get lucky and get a sympathetic cast member. First, you need to decide which room you actually want to keep.

Was the concierge room at WL not available for you dates on the BRP?

***sounds like you have the ball rolling on contacting WDW..best of luck!***

srfrgrl07 said:
As far as I know, the only payment type that can transferred from an online res or a package res to a room only booked over the phone is a check payment..and online reservations do not allow check payments I don't think.!

I wasn't really sure which is why I called 1-407-WDISNEY and asked a cast member if I could transfer the monies to my other reservation if I booked online and they said, "Yes".

Come to think of it, if you book online and then you cancel a few days later do you always lose your money? I mean, why can't a credit be applied to another reservation? This whole process is much more convulted than it needs to be.

srfrgrl07 said:
Was the concierge room at WL not available for you dates on the BRP?

It may have been at one time, but not in the last month or so. When I try to book a concierge level room at WL I get alternate options which is AKL at $457 a night (not really what we were looking for). Besides we consider WL our home away from home.

If you book online, you can cancel and get a refund outside of the penalty period, but as you have witnessed yourself the online system is not that advanced. An online reservation number is 8 digits and a room only over the phone is 12. They are two different systems, and unfortunately not compatible so it makes it difficult to transfer funds. Same with an 8 digit package reservation and a 12 digit room only reservation.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter