• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

My Rant on tipping

The only thing that really gets me, and affects the tip, is when a server is rude. I've had servers that I've had trouble understanding, but that has mainly been at the World Showcase restaurants with accents, and I never let that affect the tip. I also don't let small mistakes affect it either.

Just commenting a bit more.. my Mom was a waitress when I was growing up.. She was a good server and took her job seriously. The cute part of this story is that she saved all her silver coin....her Kennedy coins, this is before the coins were mixed and were all silver. I have them to this day safely put away... and knowing I have them makes me think of her and how hard she worked for that coin. I guess what I am saying here is some really take pride in their jobs to serve the public. I know many servers who are like that today.

Your mother is the reason I tip "good"!!! My Aunt was the same way, she could run a restaurant by herself, hands down!!---She loved her job!

That man's no troll, he's my husband! :lmao:

And he has a post count of two because I wouldn't let him post on this subject under *my* account. I have my reputation to consider, 'ya know. ;)

Oh, and thanks to the disers who are having a reasonable discussion. :flower3: I certainly am sick of talking about it.

(Oh, and for the record, he's not stiffing anyone because I make sure to always take the bill.) :rolleyes1

Michy I found this. LOL. We must always make up for our hubbys. If I didint take over they might set our room afire. JK. Troll I think not.

Just for the record I dont ever not tip but I do tip less for bad service and that is just what we should do. If I do a bad job I would just get fired or sued which is much worse than a bad tip.;)

That man's no troll, he's my husband! :lmao:

And he has a post count of two because I wouldn't let him post on this subject under *my* account. I have my reputation to consider, 'ya know. ;)

Oh, and thanks to the disers who are having a reasonable discussion. :flower3: I certainly am sick of talking about it.

(Oh, and for the record, he's not stiffing anyone because I make sure to always take the bill.) :rolleyes1

heheheheeeeeee dont you love 'standing by your man' lol. :goodvibes

Proud of you!!! :hug: People are indeed allowed to have and share their own opinion.

I loved the fact that the ddp automatically gave the servers the 18%. In most every single case that I can think of, when we were there in Oct 2006, the servers earned that. They will earn less now, imo. I hope not, but they probably will.

Tipping is what the servers are living off of.......I think you should tip the 15 to 20%, but dont think if my service was rude and or otherwise poor that I will leave one penny more than I have to. I think tipping is suppose to be a way to show the server that you appreciate their attentiveness and that they made the meal as comfortable as possible. And most servers do a fine job of this.

I am not sure if I will carry cash to tip or use room key. I always hate seeing more on my key lolol!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :guilty:

At a Chili's (the US based chain) in London, today it would cost 9.45 Euro

Now you have gone and done it, we are not Euro's the currency here are pounds.

At a Chili's (the US based chain) in London, today it would cost 9.45 Euro

Now you have gone and done it, we are not Euro's the currency here are pounds.

Good catch and an honest mistake that actually only proves my point more. One pound equals 1.98 dollars so that sandwich would cost $18.71, an increase of 156% over our price here. I would be more than happy to charge $18 for a chicken sandwich and include tax and gratuity. Be careful what you wish for.

:mad: Well, tear into me now - here's my two cents worth. I just returned from a convention at Coronado Springs. As a party of one, I was unable to get priority seating or reservations anywhere. Logically, they prefer parties of mulitples so I was left to eat at Pepper's Market each night. If you've never been, you go from station to station selecting and collecting your own meal. The server brings your drink. If you want an extra roll, you go to the bakery station yourself. If you want a refill of Coke, you go to the refill station yourself. The first night there, the server told me that I had to get my own food, but she would get my first drink. Why should I tip 15% or more when I had to get my own food and condiments? Thankfully I had a choice and let what I felt was fair for getting me a Coke. While I'm on the subject, I really disagree with the custom of tipping for bad or mediocre service, and I don't - and I usually don't tip people for doing just their job. I rarely tip housekeeping - their job is to collect and replace towels, change bedlinens, take the trash and vacuum. The only time I have ever tipped housekeeping is when they have left towel animals and arranged the kids toys as a surprise. There are just too many hands stretched out sometimes. This is just how I feel - be gentle when you flame me.

The first night there, the server told me that I had to get my own food, but she would get my first drink. Why should I tip 15% or more when I had to get my own food and condiments? Thankfully I had a choice and let what I felt was fair for getting me a Coke.
Okay, now THAT'S interesting - because Pepper Market has always added an automatic 10% service charge to any dine-in Guests, since the resort opened. Are you saying that now the/any tip is entirely up to the Guest? And no, this is NOT a flame - it's a genuine question.

Well I'll be darned! I read your response and then pulled out a couple of receipts and yes I was charged 10% and did not even realize it. So, I kind of went against my own principles because I tipped about 10% everytime (which brings the total to 20%!!!). That's what I love about these boards - you can always learn something new!

Well I'll be darned! I read your response and then pulled out a couple of receipts and yes I was charged 10% and did not even realize it. So, I kind of went against my own principles because I tipped about 10% everytime (which brings the total to 20%!!!). That's what I love about these boards - you can always learn something new!

I've never been to Pepper Market but I certainly agree that you wouldn't need to tip 15% or more. For that kind of service 10% sounds high. It doesn't sound like they do anything more than the folks at Wolfgang Pucks Express do and I don't think tipping is expected there. I always leave like $5 on the table there, but only because the servers I've had were fairly pleasant and may have grabbed a drink refill for us.

I just noticed this weekend that Sonic now has "we can add a tip to your credit card" signs at their drive-up stations. Does anyone tip here? I consider myself a pretty good tipper but have never thought to tip there. Admittedly, I don't go very often and probably have used the drive thru more.

When I advocate for good tipping at sit down restaurants it is predicated on receiving at the least decent service. Even included service in the price doesn't preclude the restaurant and the servers from having a responsibility. If I order a $25 steak and is poorly prepared, not the cut I order (and I have seen NY Strip substituted for ribeye on more than one occassion), gotten cold, whatever...it is within my rights to refuse it. But I don't go out to eat all the time dreading that my food won't meet my expectations. I think the same applies to service. If the restaurant, any restaurant, chooses to use an auto-gratuity that doesn't absolve anyone of responsibility. At those restaurants, if the service is poor I would seek a reduction in my bill, just as I would expect to not pay for a steak I return. I think anyone would be crazy to tip 15% or more if the service made them genuinely unhappy, I just don't understand all the fretting and worrying about it.

I just noticed this weekend that Sonic now has "we can add a tip to your credit card" signs at their drive-up stations. Does anyone tip here? I consider myself a pretty good tipper but have never thought to tip there. Admittedly, I don't go very often and probably have used the drive thru more.

Wow, that's kind of bold on their part. I'll have to keep my eyes open to see if more places do this. I wonder if it's a Sonic thing or just something an individual owner/operator is doing.

At a Chili's (the US based chain) in London, today it would cost 9.45 Euro for a Cajun Chicken Sandwich. Here today in my town this same sandwich costs $7.29. After converting currency the same sandwich, from the same chain restaurant would cost me $13.85. I would hope the 90% increase in cost would help cover a wage similar to tip earnings in the US.

The server is being paid in in sterling pounds so your math isn't accurate. You are paying more because our dollar is so devalued.

I just noticed this weekend that Sonic now has "we can add a tip to your credit card" signs at their drive-up stations. Does anyone tip here? I consider myself a pretty good tipper but have never thought to tip there.

Yes, I tip at Sonic. Until today, it was the only fast food restaurant within 5 or 6 miles from where I live.....McDonalds opened today. I tip 20% or a minimum or $1 per person order for....which is sometimes more that 20%

:mad: Well, tear into me now - here's my two cents worth. I just returned from a convention at Coronado Springs. As a party of one, I was unable to get priority seating or reservations anywhere. Logically, they prefer parties of mulitples so I was left to eat at Pepper's Market each night. If you've never been, you go from station to station selecting and collecting your own meal. The server brings your drink. If you want an extra roll, you go to the bakery station yourself. If you want a refill of Coke, you go to the refill station yourself. The first night there, the server told me that I had to get my own food, but she would get my first drink. Why should I tip 15% or more when I had to get my own food and condiments? Thankfully I had a choice and let what I felt was fair for getting me a Coke. While I'm on the subject, I really disagree with the custom of tipping for bad or mediocre service, and I don't - and I usually don't tip people for doing just their job. I rarely tip housekeeping - their job is to collect and replace towels, change bedlinens, take the trash and vacuum. The only time I have ever tipped housekeeping is when they have left towel animals and arranged the kids toys as a surprise. There are just too many hands stretched out sometimes. This is just how I feel - be gentle when you flame me.

Thats strange I went solo for 3 weeks last september, got adrs for 1 at all the resteraunts, even changed a few on the day as I had changed my mind. Did they explain why you couldn't get any

The server is being paid in in sterling pounds so your math isn't accurate. You are paying more because our dollar is so devalued.

The math is accurate, it just isn't apples to apples. I certainly understand that there are different overheads in each situation but the general point is that it is far more expensive to eat over there than over here.

Of course the currency exchange inflates the cost but should food diminish price dramatically in cost in places with a favorable exchange rate? In Leon, Mexico, a place I have actually been, the same chain charges 179 Mexican Pesos for a rib platter. That converts to $16.11. The same thing here is $14.99. So, I still stand by the point that comparably speaking it is inexpensive to dine here and the gratuity system suits me fine.

Wow, that's kind of bold on their part. I'll have to keep my eyes open to see if more places do this. I wonder if it's a Sonic thing or just something an individual owner/operator is doing.

It was printed on hard plastic not just run off on a office printer and lamintated so I would imagine it was done at a corporate level - but anything is possible.

The math is accurate, it just isn't apples to apples. I certainly understand that there are different overheads in each situation but the general point is that it is far more expensive to eat over there than over here.

Of course the currency exchange inflates the cost but should food diminish price dramatically in cost in places with a favorable exchange rate? In Leon, Mexico, a place I have actually been, the same chain charges 179 Mexican Pesos for a rib platter. That converts to $16.11. The same thing here is $14.99. So, I still stand by the point that comparably speaking it is inexpensive to dine here and the gratuity system suits me fine.
It is only more expensive to eat over there for us...because of the exchange rate. I have been over many times and I know this to be true. You cannot have a true analogy if your numbers are skewed. You would have to assume the dollar and euro where equal before you could argue the price difference.

It is only more expensive to eat over there for us...because of the exchange rate. I have been over many times and I know this to be true. You cannot have a true analogy if your numbers are skewed. You would have to assume the dollar and euro where equal before you could argue the price difference.

Why do you think the DDP is so loved by us :rotfl2: :rotfl2:
For what the DDLXP costs you can't have one decent diner in Holland let alone have breakfast and a counterservice to.:rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter