• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

My Rant on tipping

the_grinch

Mouseketeer
Hi all first let me say I have read a lot of the threads about tipping on this board. And I have a couple of rants.

1.why should I tip 15- 20% for bad service (I have no problem tipping that much for good too great service). Please do not say because the server has to pay out so much to busboy and runners and so on. I think they all get minimum wage. I am tipping the server not the rest of the staff they should get fair pair pay from the cost of the meal. and if they are not ,then should we tip each staff member by how well they do there job?

2.We all know Disney prices at the sit down dinners are on the high side .so that make the tips on the high side as well in my mind if you go by the 15-20%. I think 10-15% is more in line in what you should tip.

3.servers think they should get a tip just for doing there job (yes i know they get less base pay). And I think if they are good to great they should get a good tip but the times or servers that do a poor to bad job should get little to no tip. I look at it like a salesperson (they get paid less base pay in hope of commissions),if he dose his job good to great he gets the pay for it, if he is poor to bad he gets his base pay .

4.i read that if the food is bad under cook or over cooked, something is wrong with the order and so on, do not blame the server it is not their fault. Who should I blame and what should I do just tell someone, and hope next time it dose not happen (even if I may not be back for a year or more). No if something goes wrong there goes the tip. If that is the reason a lot of people do not leave a tip the server will do all the telling to the you people to make sure it is rare when it happen if not at all.

Thanks for reading my rant on tipping. my wife and I do not fight on many things. I can count them on 1 hand but this is one, she will not even talk to me about it any more. just had to get that of my chest

Hi all first let me say I have read a lot of the threads about tipping on this board. And I have a couple of rants.

1.why should I tip 15- 20% for bad service (I have no problem tipping that much for good too great service). Please do not say because the server has to pay out so much to busboy and runners and so on. I think they all get minimum wage. I am tipping the server not the rest of the staff they should get fair pair pay from the cost of the meal. and if they are not ,then should we tip each staff member by how well they do there job?
Mininum wage for a server is way below that of others. Maybe around $3 an hour. The entire team has an impact on your meal experience, not just the person taking your order. The bus person and dishwashers make sure you have a clean table and set up. Someone else might be responsible for refilling water, etc. That is why servers share tips.

2.We all know Disney prices at the sit down dinners are on the high side .so that make the tips on the high side as well in my mind if you go by the 15-20%. I think 10-15% is more in line in what you should tip.
You have the option to tip what you want, unless you're using a DDE or part of a large group. The prices aren't set by the servers. Their wage/benefit rate has an impact on price, but they don't set them.

3.servers think they should get a tip just for doing there job (yes i know they get less base pay). And I think if they are good to great they should get a good tip but the times or servers that do a poor to bad job should get little to no tip. I look at it like a salesperson (they get paid less base pay in hope of commissions),if he dose his job good to great he gets the pay for it, if he is poor to bad he gets his base pay .
Getting tipped is a part of their base pay it isn't a bonus like with some other professions. A high tip may be seen as a bonus, but tip is expected. As noted above servers can easily earn less than half the normal minimum wage rate.

4.i read that if the food is bad under cook or over cooked, something is wrong with the order and so on, do not blame the server it is not their fault. Who should I blame and what should I do just tell someone, and hope next time it dose not happen (even if I may not be back for a year or more). No if something goes wrong there goes the tip. If that is the reason a lot of people do not leave a tip the server will do all the telling to the you people to make sure it is rare when it happen if not at all.Tell the server and give them a chance to fix it. Give them a chance to earn the tip.

Thanks for reading my rant on tipping. my wife and I do not fight on many things. I can count them on 1 hand but this is one, she will not even talk to me about it any more. just had to get that of my chest

Servers at Disney put up with more than the average server. Disney guests are on vacation and some people think they don't have to be polite once they leave home or are somewhere "where no one will know me". Overseas its the ugly American. At Disney it is just plain ugly. Others think I'm paying all this money I deserve...extra, special treatment, not to have to follow the rules...you name it someone will feel entitled. Serving families is hard and there are lots of families, more than the average sit down restaurant at Disney (crying, bratty climbing, messy kids with blase parents refusing to control or reign in there monsters). A server can't just say shut it and the bus staff has to clean up the mess which is generally more mess than they'd make at home for Mom to clean up. But hey, only the server deserves a tip and then only if he/she walks on water.

I wouldn't classify myself as a big tipper, but I usually tip in the standard range unless its a cheap meal then its easier to tip beyond the std % amount. I have tended to point out to the server or servers manager the issue I had rather than just leave no or a really low tip. I do that in hopes that the next guests gets a better experience, the server makes enough money to take care of their family(some kid will likely get less because of low tips) and its better to try to fix an employee than to hire and train a new one. Obviously some may simply not be cut out for the job and management will need to address those issues. Sounds like your wife and I are more in tune on this one. But hey, at least I'll talk to you about it! I think you have some strong opinions and I actually hope I've shown you a couple of points to soften your stance.

Servers at Disney put up with more than the average server. Disney guests are on vacation and some people think they don't have to be polite once they leave home or are somewhere "where no one will know me". Overseas its the ugly American. At Disney it is just plain ugly. Others think I'm paying all this money I deserve...extra, special treatment, not to have to follow the rules...you name it someone will feel entitled. Serving families is hard and there are lots of families, more than the average sit down restaurant at Disney (crying, bratty climbing, messy kids with blase parents refusing to control or reign in there monsters). A server can't just say shut it and the bus staff has to clean up the mess which is generally more mess than they'd make at home for Mom to clean up. But hey, only the server deserves a tip and then only if he/she walks on water.

I wouldn't classify myself as a big tipper, but I usually tip in the standard range unless its a cheap meal then its easier to tip beyond the std % amount. I have tended to point out to the server or servers manager the issue I had rather than just leave no or a really low tip. I do that in hopes that the next guests gets a better experience, the server makes enough money to take care of their family(some kid will likely get less because of low tips) and its better to try to fix an employee than to hire and train a new one. Obviously some may simply not be cut out for the job and management will need to address those issues. Sounds like your wife and I are more in tune on this one. But hey, at least I'll talk to you about it! I think you have some strong opinions and I actually hope I've shown you a couple of points to soften your stance.

I would disagree with your assertion that Disney servers have to deal with monster customers thus making what they do so much more than a server anywhere else. They are already being paid in kind due to the average costs being so much higher as the OP pointed out.

They have to deal with a higher % of families than most any restaurant you can think of and families are hard work. Harder than just a couple of work colleagues having lunch. Its just a numbers comment, not a suggestion that families are bad or bad for business. Obviously families are fantastic for Disney business!

Because tipping is over and above the bill amount we think of it as extra. For servers it is part of base pay and its hard for us to reconcile the two.

3 <snip>I look at it like a salesperson (they get paid less base pay in hope of commissions),if he dose his job good to great he gets the pay for it, if he is poor to bad he gets his base pay .
4 4.i read that if the food is bad under cook or over cooked, something is wrong with the order and so on, do not blame the server it is not their fault. Who should I blame and what should I do just tell someone,
3. Unreasonable comparison. A salesperson's commission is based on sales - no sales, no commission. A server tip is calculated on the menu price of items purchased by the customer. The server HAS sold merchandise - yet under your theory, the items sold would NOT warrant the payment of a 'commission', or tip, The sale has been made, the provider of the items purchased - the restaurant - gets paid, but the server gets no 'commission'? In what world is that reasonable?
4 You blame the PERSON WHO PREPARED THE FOOD, and deal with restaurant management AT THAT TIME.

You don't agree with / believe in tipping? Fine. Please dine at establishments where the employees are paid at least minimum wage (note that in most states, that limits you to fast food venues).

They have to deal with a higher % of families than most any restaurant you can think of and families are hard work. Harder than just a couple of work colleagues having lunch. .

i also don't think anyone could possibly compare working at a local restaurant, where there are slow times/days, to a restaurant in WDW where there is no such thing as a slow time! the least busy time at a WDW restaurant is still more incredibly chaotic than the busiest day of the year at the majority of local restaurants:guilty:

I don't think I've seen such an overt trolling in quite a while. I have to believe that the OP knows that practically everything said was contrary to our society's mores. People can choose to behave as they wish, within the confines of the law, but don't expect to come here and receive any ratification of such anti-social conduct.

Trolling or not......one post is suspicious, but I will give the benefit of the doubt here and think maybe they have been lurking and have finally decided to post...

This thread will be watched by the moderators of this board as we all know how passionate we can get about tipping....

Also.... "Overseas its the ugly American" really bothered me this morning... we certainly do not have to read how bad the Americans are here on the Dis.. please say it isn't so....In these times, with all that is going on in the world... please think before posting bashing any group.... thanks.

I think the hardest thing about the tipping is being a table of 6 we will have to pay the same regardless of what service we get. If we get a bad entree we can explain to the waiter and most times they will try to fix it. You can only blame the chef it there is something really wrong with it like spoiled,
not cooked the way you asked or something like that. It can't not be that you did not like it because you may not like but someone else loves it. We all have different tastes. What is expected from the waiter is service. I would not like to be judged for whatever reason DDP, children, or how we look. Once we got a waiter that just wasn't nice because we were DDP, it was at Wolf Gang Puck and they did not like the DDP so he didn't either. The food was very good but all we can remember is the waiter. We did not leave any extra tip because of that experience but I doubt he would have realized that because he still got his tip from Disney. So now when we go this year our tip will be auto because we are a party of 6. Now I have to leave that tip when I know he should not get that much for giving bad service. That is the part I will remember when I leave that restaurant. I don't think we would call the manager to argue (for 1 I don't think it would help) because it is our vacation and I am not going to make a scene and bring myself down more. Move on and hopefully we won't have any of these waiters. I am sure Disney looked at all angles for how they could keep the DDP but I think they dropped the ball on this one because for the most part it has taken some of the convienance out of the DDP.

I am a waitress allbeit, not at DisneyWorld, and I am sure that there job is harder than mine. I work at a local chilis, and there are definitely times when it is less busy. That being said, I make $2.13 an hour. We tip out 1% of our sales to each the bussers and the Bartender (whether or not we sell alcohol). We also tip 1.5% of our sales to the QA (Qyality Assurance) whose job it is to get the food ready on the line and send it out. Notice I said the percentage of our SALES. NOT of the tips we receive, so whatever my total amount of sales are, I am automatically tipping out 3.5% to others. I am usually losing at least a dollar of every tip I receive. For example, yesterday I worked for 5 hours, I tipped each the busser and Bartender 3.80 and then I tipped on top of that, the QA 5.70. NOw, don't get me wrong, the $52 dollars I brought home is great money for 5 hours, but I could have taken $13 more dollars than that and $65 is better than 52!! There are times (Fridays Saturdays where I have tipped out upwards of $50-$75
I just wanted to give the logisitcs, I am sure that Disney works the exact same way, I am not sure, of course what there percentages are, nor whether they tip hosts or other positions. I like to think that all servers are working hard and trying to give the best service to all customers, but of course you can tell when that is not the case!
ANyway, just a little insight into the life of a server, I am lucky enough to do this job just for something to do when my kids are in school, my husband is the supporter, this job is something for me to do and I like the extra spending money- but every one of the other people I work with rely on this job to pay rent, buy food and everything else that goes ith living in the orld today.
SORRY- not wanting to preach but to give an idea of the tip-out process and all that goes with it!

I am very suspicious that this is the OPs first post on the DIS. This is a community to share excitement, gather information, and occassionally rant. When you introduce yourself this way, I will not take your post seriously. However, I seriously feel sorry for your wife if she has to listen to this kind of stuff at home. :sad2:

Sorry to offend there as no mal intent; hope your day gets better. :guilty:

I really don't think most of us are "ugly" overseas or at Disney.

Many people choose not to tip or tip lightly and not just at Disney. Some will continue to do so and hopefully as others realize these servers get $3/hr realize that tips are their real wage and not "extra".

YIKES :scared1: is the only way I can describe my feelings when I read that you leave 10% tip. Wow. My only hope is that 99.9% of the others here to not tip that way.

I assume your wife thinks you are being petty and cheap. She may be right.

4.i read that if the food is bad under cook or over cooked, something is wrong with the order and so on, do not blame the server it is not their fault. Who should I blame and what should I do just tell someone, and hope next time it dose not happen (even if I may not be back for a year or more). No if something goes wrong there goes the tip. If that is the reason a lot of people do not leave a tip the server will do all the telling to the you people to make sure it is rare when it happen if not at all.

I won't waste my breath as I see its a troll..

Very interesting first post, at least under this member name.

1) You shouldn't tip 15-20% for really bad service. Service that bad also deserves mention to management, preferably during the meal so the problem can be corrected. Customers that frequently think service is poor enough to justify a low tip have unrealistic expectations as to service, are trying to justify bad tipping or need to patronize better restaurants.

2) 15-20% is the appropriate tip for good service, you sound like a person who is trying to justify being cheap.

3) The server is paid below minimum wage. Did he take your order and deliver your food? Again a normal tip of 15-20% is for normal (good service). Another argument made by a customer who is looking to justify being cheap.

4) You're partially right. The server should come back after you start dining and ask how everything is. That's your opportunity to complain and ask for a different menu item. Now if you can't even find the server to complain then you have justification for a low tip.

What is a troll? Sorry new to posting. :flower3:

A forum troll is a person who makes controversial, passive aggressive or downright nasty posts just to see how many angry villagers
villagers.gif
he/she can stir up.

Most of the time I only read and use this board for information and planning. I just added to this post so when I do have a comment I am not consider a troll! Seem you are not trustworthy unless you have at least a 1000 posts. Sorry, I do read posts and makeup my own mind if I should take it seriously. By the way cheap people will always be cheap no matter what is said on this subject!

Very interesting first post, at least under this member name.

1) You shouldn't tip 15-20% for really bad service. Service that bad also deserves mention to management, preferably during the meal so the problem can be corrected. Customers that frequently think service is poor enough to justify a low tip have unrealistic expectations as to service, are trying to justify bad tipping or need to patronize better restaurants.

2) 15-20% is the appropriate tip for good service, you sound like a person who is trying to justify being cheap.

3) The server is paid below minimum wage. Did he take your order and deliver your food? Again a normal tip of 15-20% is for normal (good service). Another argument made by a customer who is looking to justify being cheap.

4) You're partially right. The server should come back after you start dining and ask how everything is. That's your opportunity to complain and ask for a different menu item. Now if you can't even find the server to complain then you have justification for a low tip.

First let me say I am not trying to just a flame war or anything like that. But lets look at some simple numbers, minimum wage is $7.25, national average wage is lets say $40,000 a year (not bad to a lot of us) so if you are minimum wage you make about $290 a week. Or $15,000 a year, ok so far all looks good?
Ok just to look at lowball numbers I am sure they are a lot higher. Let say an average restaurant can sit 70 people at one time, and the average meal cost $40.00 and the server works 8 hours a day ,and 5 day a week.so 70*40=2800 that is how much money a hour the restaurant brings in an hour so times that by 8 we get 22.400 for 8 hours .so if we take the 22,400 tip it 18% we get $4,032 a day in tips lets say there are 15 servers for the 70 tables each server gets $268.80 in tips a day(if they have to tip out they should talk to managers as you guys have said we are tipping for the service of the server we pay for clean plates and food and so on in the cost of the meal. that is a whole other thread ).now let say they only get 10% on average then they make $149.33 each a day . so if they make $268 they make $1340 a week or $69,680 and if the make $149 a day they make $745 a week and #38,740 a year . this is just in tip I know the base pay is not much but as we can see the make a good wage just on 10% and if they get 18% on average they make a great wage .so please stop try tom tell me if I do not tip 18% or better the server will not feed there kids or will lose there home it is simple not true.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter