My Dr. kicked us out of the practice!! (Long tale ahead!)

many, many wives and husbands and children are the office managers of the doctors offices in our PHO group. I just don't find that unusual in the least.

It's not unusual, but, IMO, it shouldn't be so common. ;)

My doctor's wife works in his office on occasion. She is a nice woman and conducts herself in a professional manner. In our pediatrician's office, his wife handles the front desk in one of their offices. She is quite snotty and isn't very friendly. For some reason, she likes me and my husband and is especially nice to us.:confused3 My friend has been taking her son to the same practice for as long as we have and she can't stand the wife. She is downright rude to my friend. :confused3 Our dentist's wife works in the front office. :headache: I think she is there to keep an eye on her husband. He likes to flirt with women. :sad2:

According to DH, if you are terminating a relationship with a patient in Ct, they must be notified by certified letter. At that time, they must be given the name of a physician who is willing to see them as a patient. Not just a referral but when they call, they must be seen by that physician. In Rhode Island, the laws are even more stringent. DH has a new partner who closed down his practice in Rhode Island to come to Ct. He had to notify all his patients by certified letter, refer them to physicians willing to take them, but if they didn't want to transfer immediately, he had to be available to see those patients for six months. He had to delay his transfer to Ct because he still had 10 patients who were not willing to transfer until the end of the six months, so he had to keep his office open. To do anything other than what is required in these states is considered abandonment and just cause for a law suit.

I don't understand why you would pay to wait 2 hours and be treated so badly by the office manager. I would look at this as a blessing. You deserve better care from your doctor as well as his staff.

ITA!!!::yes::

TC:cool1:

They can let you go, but the way they went about it was so incredibly wrong that I would not let it go. First off, she scheduled you for a fake appointment before they even open. That is beyond spiteful, and it wasted your time. I would take them to small claims court for it. Even if you lose, you made someone from their office show up and explain themselves. I doubt they'd send a receptionist, so either the doctor or his wife would have to show. Or not, in which case you might win by default. Nuisance suit? Maybe, but that would be the point since they made a nuisance of themselves by purposefully wasting your time.

And of course, I would never go back to a practice like that. If she was willing to be so petty over a perceived slight in rescheduling, where else could she petty and unprofessional? Those are not adjectives I want to use about someone I'm trusting with my health care.

We used to see him together, till the office made a stupid change to their policy that does NOT allow spouses in the office together anymore...which I posted about here on the DIS. So that is why I was involved in my DH's appt...not that that is your business how I work my marriage.

I remember that post. I rarely remember usernames, but I remember posts, and that one I remember.

I'm also the one in charge of health care stuff. Just the other day I talked to the office staff at hubby's endocrinologist to figure out when he needs to do his lab work. I was even "called in" when the hospital staff got weird during my MIL's recent illness (she wasn't ill anymore but the MD started playing "House", trying to make things really complicated instead of just letting her go home, even when the hospital gastroenterologist was telling MIL she was fine) b/c his family just does NOT have an ability to talk to MDs. So I totally understand why you were talking instead of him.

Dax, you did nothing wrong.

I would also NOT pay for the copies of the records. He has discharged your family. You are entitled to those records at his expense, not yours.

I agree with the first sentence.

The second sentence, not completely. As was drilled into our heads in chiro schools, patients are entitled to the info on the records, but the actual papers, not exactly, not for free necessarily. With the privacy laws that somehow impacted records, doctors are allowed to charge a fee that they deem reasonable.

I would rather find a new doc and have them request the records, b/c that will be free. And you'll get the records needed to continue care, instead of every little smidgen of info they might have ever written down.

They do have the right to charge for the records when it's the patient requesting them.

Of course, sitting in the office is a good way to get them to do stuff, especially if you talk loudly about things to other patients. Silly ophthalmologist had me sit in the office when I insisted on reading the medicine insert for the eye dilating drops...who knew that heart attack was a possible side effect of those? Probably not the doc, probably not the staff, and definitely not the other patients, *until he sent me to the waiting room to read it*. :rolleyes1

as for staff and HIPPA- I have had nurses talking to OTHER parents about my DD and her "issues" they were reported and written up. in one case, one was fired as this was her 3rd write up for the same thing

Good for you!!!!!!

I've had the opposite happen where all the paperwork was right there, with a list of people the patient (or the unable-to-communicate patient's wife) had signed off on right in his records, but the staff suddenly made the decision to ignore that and would only speak to the patient's wife, who was not fluent in English and definitely not Medicalese, b/c they wanted to strongarm the wife (my MIL) into doing what they wanted. Our names were right there in the records, my MIL was asking them to talk to us, but they REFUSED. That was nasty and was never resolved.

Either way it's rotten.

I think if the pt wants somone in the exam room with them it is their right. In some circumstances it is extremely important to have a second set of ears.

It should definitely have been allowed, but this practice stopped allowing it. They would ONLY allow the patient in the room.

IMO the OP's family should have dropped the doc then.

Here in Ky, all a doctor has to do is tell you in person or by letter that s/he will not be treating you anymore. I know some send out letters; they don't have to be certified. They certainly don't have to find you a new doctor (in some cases that would be impossible, since the patient has been "fired" by so many doctors).

A couple of the doctors who round at my hospital shared a practice. The wife of one was the office manager (That doctor originally had the practice by himself, and the other joined him when it got to be too much for the first doctor alone). To put it mildly, the wife was a real witch. It wasn't too long before the two doctors decided to part ways.

Most of the patients went with the doctor whose wife was not involved. :rotfl:

I don't understand why these doctors let their wives run off patients like that. I can only imagine like it's like for that poor guy at home, though.

As far as sending your doctor a letter, I doubt it would do any good. Who do you think opens the doctor's mail most of the time?

Honestly, I would count by blessings to be away from that woman and start looking for a new doctor. There are a lot of good ones out there. You should not have to pay for your medical records. Your new doctor will have you fill out a release for the records and the old doctor will send it to them.

Good luck finding one you like.

Scheduling your husband for a time when the clinic wasn't even open would really get my goat. I wouldn't leave that alone. What have you got to lose...you're already kicked out so go ahead and make a scene about it! Did she give you an appointment card with the time written down? If she did, just think of all the fun you could have with that.

Scheduling your husband for a time when the clinic wasn't even open would really get my goat. I wouldn't leave that alone. What have you got to lose...you're already kicked out so go ahead and make a scene about it! Did she give you an appointment card with the time written down? If she did, just think of all the fun you could have with that.

SHE DID!!! This is what is still really bothering me...The appt card is actually STILL posted on the refrig!! Thats what gets me. We had to waste gas and time for a non-existent appt!

I thought about writing a letter, but I am sure my Dr does not open the mail himself...so that is also probably pointless.

There were other patients in the office when it all went down, both times, and one even told me on her way out she too had issues with the wife.

I never claimed to write to the medical board, but I want to do something. As a consumer, I was treated poorly. Normally, I would not hesitate to use the BBB on a place...but what about a dr office.

I am enjoying reading everyone's opinions, and all the suggestions too. I do not planning on going back to the drs office, as much as I enjoy him. I am currently looking for another dr, but I do now know a lot of ppl to ask about opinions, so I am flying blind.

if you go to yahoo and the yellow pages and look up the doctor. You can leave a report of the doctor. I would put a post out there about how good the dr is and how awful the staff and office manger are.

It will make others aware of the office.

There are times to let things go - what is to be gained by going back there except to get your medical records for your new Doctor? This Doctor does not work in a vacuum, Doctor's aren't solo anymore, you are dealing with his entire office, staff, office manager etc all come as a package deal. And since the Doc is married to the Office Manager from hell, I don't think you can persuade him to fire her.

Nothing is to be gained by talking to anyone at the office, they are highly unprofessional. What would you hope to gain from any sort of conversation? After being treated the way you were, you should not consider going back to that clinic as a patient and since you are no longer patients, just write it off and move on.

If you were to do anything, you might want to consdier going to Google and searching on Doctor Rating - you will find a number of sites where consumers are able to rate doctors - You may want to go to several of these sites and provide feedback on this particular doctor's office based on your experience as a warning to others.

SHE DID!!! This is what is still really bothering me...The appt card is actually STILL posted on the refrig!! Thats what gets me. We had to waste gas and time for a non-existent appt!

I thought about writing a letter, but I am sure my Dr does not open the mail himself...so that is also probably pointless.

There were other patients in the office when it all went down, both times, and one even told me on her way out she too had issues with the wife.

I never claimed to write to the medical board, but I want to do something. As a consumer, I was treated poorly. Normally, I would not hesitate to use the BBB on a place...but what about a dr office.

I am enjoying reading everyone's opinions, and all the suggestions too. I do not planning on going back to the drs office, as much as I enjoy him. I am currently looking for another dr, but I do now know a lot of ppl to ask about opinions, so I am flying blind.

You can send it so he has to sign for it specifically.

Liz

As an MD in a very busy practice, I can understand alot of these issues. Some things I cannot understand.

Not being able to talk to your MD on the phone is ridiculous and irresponsible. I rarely have time to talk to my patients on the phone during the day, but whenever I have a moment, I call the patient back. The patients are also asked how late I can call back, because sometimes I wait until the end of the day to return calls. No calls are left for another day.

The discharge of the patient here doesn't seem to be the decision of the MD, since the interaction wasn't with the MD at all - it seems like it was the receptionists' call. That is unfair and a conversation with the MD is warranted and would be the responsible thing to do.

Unless you get to talk to the MD and mend things with him, your relationship with the MD seems to be finished. (Unfortunate - clearly didn't have to happen.) The question of how much time and effort (and money) you want to spend making him pay for this is up to you, but it seems like you won't get your doctor back.

[btw, I have infinitely worse stories about how some of my patients treat me, and they keep coming back, and I keep taking them back.]

I bet the doctor isn't aware of any of this. His wife is controlling his practice and he has no clue how she is treating his patients. I had an incident where I was scheduled for a physical with my primary dr. and had to cancel 3 times (gave them plenty of notice) because I was recovering from surgery and could barely walk yet alone go for a physical. I was seeing my oncologist at the time for the surgery followup. They were very insistent on making another appt. even though I told her I was recovering from surgery and was unsure when I would be able to drive, etc.... When I called to cancel appt. #3 she told me if I didn't show up that I would have to find another doctor. I showed up for the physical and explained to the dr. about having to cancel the other 2 appts, etc....he was so annoyed with the office staff and apologized over and over. He said your in no condition to have a physical at this time, your recovering from surgery and should not of been treated this way. I guarantee if will never happen again. Needless to say there was a staff change shortly afterwards.

I think it was mentioned earlier about filing a complaint with your insurance company, too.
You can ask them about filing a provider service complaint with their provider's relations service department that does the contracting with the drs office. Complaints impact whether or not they renew contracting with the dr. They need to know a drs office they are using with their plan is treating their patients this way.
Also state medical licensing board will fully review any complaints they receive. (at least here in PA they do, we filed a complaint against the dentist who treated my daughter and they came out to my house even and took my formal complaint then went to talk to the dentists office).

Thanks for some of the quick replies..some more info..

On speaking DIRECTLY with the Dr...I dont think its possible. He NEVER is seen at the front area, he is usually so busy with patients. I honestly dont think he is even AWARE of what happened. So I think she made the decision to get rid of me, instead of dealing with me personally. She took the easy way out.

ON speaking with others in the office(patients), NOT one of them likes the staff, but LOVE the dr. SO its not just us.

His wife is a psycho. Like I said, this is not the first time I have had issues with her.

Google the Drs name. Then click on the site that allows you to rate this Dr. so that others can see the problems you have had with the office staff. The Dr will see the ratings as many keep up with the feedback esp if it's on the internet.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter