My Dr. kicked us out of the practice!! (Long tale ahead!)

Since my DH is suddenly being looked at, he has issues in his past, and he does not handle well in situations. I have a copy of DH's medical card, and I also had the credit card that was going to pay for the appt. I guess that makes my DH less of a man...BTW, he was standing RIGHT next to me during the whole thing.

Yes he is on Zoloft because he has depression issues, as do I..With his wife being unemployed, and not sure how we are going to live from day to day..anyone would be depressed. He has been on the meds for YEARS, and it has helped my DH a lot...

Absolutely. And the fact that he has been on them successfully for years indicates that he not only tolerates them but benefits from them. Renewing a prescription for a couple of weeks until the next appointment is completely reasonable.

I don't find it odd- my office is pediatric- but there are 2 other offices in our building that we help out at (as needed with staffing issues) and this isn't uncommon. You are barking up the wrong tree.

I also think the Office Manager would have been MUCH more diplomatic and accomodating of the patients needs if she weren't the doctors wife.

I agree. Believe me, the relationship isn't 'appreciated' by the patients nor the office staff. If she wants to be an "office manager' and she has skills in that area, she can work for someone else. Edited to add, I wouldn't walk into DH's office, use the phone, the copier nor the fax machine, without asking the staff first. That is their domain. I am a visitor and a guest.

I agree. Believe me, the relationship isn't 'appreciated' by the patients nor the office staff. If she wants to be an "office manager' and she has skills in that area, she can work for someone else. Edited to add, I wouldn't walk into DH's office, use the phone, the copier nor the fax machine, without asking the staff first. That is their domain. I am a visitor and a guest.

many, many wives and husbands and children are the office managers of the doctors offices in our PHO group. I just don't find that unusual in the least.

Rebel, I don't know what your deal is.... but this is not the kind of thead that you need to show your behind.
You are sooooo far out of line here.

I suggest that everyone here now completely ignore any further similar comments. ;)

this particular quote that you had highlighted and suggested people should ignore, I do not find out of line. The OP stated that their had been problems in the past. This is what the OP stated, so it must be true.

"I was pretty upset, and I dont remember how the whole conversation went, but I know she offered me discharge papers at one point." , obviously heated words must have been said for it to get to this point.

I also think the whole story is not being told. Not that the OP is lying, but that maybe the office manager would have a completely different perspective on it.

I don't find it odd that the OP was there with her DH or spoke up. Especially, if DH was standing right next to her. But, I would find it weird if the office spoke to her privately without him or released his records to her.

Finally, we are not allowed to update information from one medical record into another. If you changed the address on one person in a practice, the other addresses and phones would not be changed until that patient came in for a visit.

Is this even legal? I understand that being abusive with other patients/staff, missing appointments repeatedly, etc. can get you "fired". But to drop you without any prior warning? Or warning after the fact for that matter?

I don't think it's all that unusual for family to work in the office, it's just not in the patient's best interest. If the manager is the spouse, they don't worry about being fired for doing a bad job. They can behave completely inappropriately for an office manager, with little ramifications.

It's also hard for the patient to report an issue, when it's the doctor's spouse they are reporting.

Oops. Didn't put the quote from the other poster here. Sorry, doesn't really make sense without it.

Not trying to stir the pot here, however; my DH has severe asthma and I handle all 15 meds, refills, appointments, breathing tests, insurance etc. I think it is more common then some posters think. Our Dr just called the other day and gave me DH's blood test results. ( didn't t even ask to speak to DH!) :goodvibes

I take care of all my DD appt's Rx's and such- different situation, she is a minor. I also schedule DH appts and remind him to go(he hates going to the DR!) and sometimes I go with and sit in on the appt. Dr just says hi and goes along with the exam.

DD is a teen, so we will have the "issue" of HIPPA in a few years- with her diagnosis, I will have to take care of all stuff for a while.

as for staff and HIPPA- I have had nurses talking to OTHER parents about my DD and her "issues" they were reported and written up. in one case, one was fired as this was her 3rd write up for the same thing

I take care of all my DD appt's Rx's and such- different situation, she is a minor. I also schedule DH appts and remind him to go(he hates going to the DR!) and sometimes I go with and sit in on the appt. Dr just says hi and goes along with the exam.

DD is a teen, so we will have the "issue" of HIPPA in a few years- with her diagnosis, I will have to take care of all stuff for a while.

as for staff and HIPPA- I have had nurses talking to OTHER parents about my DD and her "issues" they were reported and written up. in one case, one was fired as this was her 3rd write up for the same thing

THAT is outrageous! HIPAA or no HIPAA. That was a violation of patient privacy rights that have existed for YEARS! I can't believe that she was fired after the 3rd report. She should have been gone after the first! In most hospitals, even accessing files of patients that you have no contact or care responsibilities will get you fired, that day!

I see that you are trying to pin this all on me...Once again, the issues I have had with the wife were issues with OFFICE STAFF itself...She also has made accomadations for my husband and myself mutliple times. It was not an ALL negative relationship, just things here and there over a 10yr period.

I also was not GIVEN the discharge papers at that time, but she asked me if I wanted to leave, and I said NO.

And as for why was I involved with my DH's appt? Are you kidding me.. I love my DH, but when it comes to things like his medical health, and other things, I lead the charge. I AM ALSO A PATIENT WITH THIS DR. We used to see him together, till the office made a stupid change to their policy that does NOT allow spouses in the office together anymore...which I posted about here on the DIS. So that is why I was involved in my DH's appt...not that that is your business how I work my marriage.

I think if the pt wants somone in the exam room with them it is their right. In some circumstances it is extremely important to have a second set of ears.
Years ago i was diagnosed with hodgkin's disease. I always found it extremely helpful as sometimes I forgot some of what was said. Sometimes a pt has a lot comimg st them at once and it is good to have someone ask a question that pt may not have thought to ask.

I think if the pt wants somone in the exam room with them it is their right. In some circumstances it is extremely important to have a second set of ears.
Years ago i was diagnosed with hodgkin's disease. I always found it extremely helpful as sometimes I forgot some of what was said. Sometimes a pt has a lot comimg st them at once and it is good to have someone ask a question that pt may not have thought to ask.

That is so true of any stressful event. Even financial matters. I road with my cousin to Florida last fall, after she lost her DH. She took me to the bank, the financial planner, everything, because with everything she had been through, it was just too much to digest.

If I waited for my husband to schedule a DR visit, he wouldn't have seen a physician for the entire time we've been married. When he has a gout flare, I'm the one that calls to schedule an appointment or ask for the steroid taper. I used to work in a physician's office so he thinks I "speak Dr.". :rotfl2:

Someone upthread mentioned their records had been shredded: I think our rule for shredding medical records was 12 years from their last visit or if we knew they had died we could shred them after 5 years (I think, it's been a while).

Both my physicians have a form that I fill out that lists who they may discuss my medical information with.

A 2 1/2 hour wait is ridiculous. I give an OB office a little more slack but a well run primary care office should never be that far behind. They aren't scheduling any time for sick/urgent visits.

many, many wives and husbands and children are the office managers of the doctors offices in our PHO group. I just don't find that unusual in the least.

I don't think its "unusual", but I do feel that it isn't "optimal". I think that patients need to have the confidence that what they share with the doctor isn't going to be shared with his wife over the dinner table at night. Most physicians would never do that, but patients don't know that, especially patients with diseases or disorders that they aren't comfortable with. Last year an 'aquaintance' shared some personal information with DH about their condition and had some questions. He wasn't their physician, it wasn't in an office setting but he never thought for a second to tell me. A few months later I saw that person and they said, "Well, you knew that I have....". I told them that I had absolutely no idea. That anything she said to DH in confidence would always remain so. Patients who are "identifiable" to anyone should never be discussed. Its not like, "the unusual case" if a family member could guess who it is by the appointment schedule or billing code.

I don't think it's all that unusual for family to work in the office, it's just not in the patient's best interest. If the manager is the spouse, they don't worry about being fired for doing a bad job. They can behave completely inappropriately for an office manager, with little ramifications.

It's also hard for the patient to report an issue, when it's the doctor's spouse they are reporting.

By golly, that's a good point!!!

I haven't read the rest of the posts, but I don't understand why you would pay to wait 2 hours and be treated so badly by the office manager. I would look at this as a blessing. You deserve better care from your doctor as well as his staff.

I would let it go. The guy isn't going to side with you over his wife (the lady who he has to talk to everyday....) Good luck!

Just curious.....are you the office manager aka the doctors wife :confused3

:rotfl2::rotfl2:

THAT was funny!!

To the OP - I do think you would probably be happy in the long run if you could find a doctor and office staff you can tolerate instead of the great doctor and horrible office staff. Who needs that kind of stress? :hug::hug:

I haven't read the rest of the posts, but I don't understand why you would pay to wait 2 hours and be treated so badly by the office manager. I would look at this as a blessing. You deserve better care from your doctor as well as his staff.

This sums it up for me. No way would I accept this treatment for 10 minutes with a nice doctor. Be greatful that you have been forced to do what you probably should have done on your own years ago... :goodvibes

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter