Mom and Dad and 2 Picky Kids do the DDP ~ With Lots of Pictures!

So, was the DDP worth it and would we do it again???

Well, I don't know and I don't know! :laughing:

I always come back from WDW and say - I know we can eat way cheaper than the $700 we spent on the DDP. But then a few weeks later, like now, I start thinking about all the WDW restaurants we want to go back to and all the ones that we want to try and think that the DDP is worth it. :confused3

We paid around $700 for the DDP for our 7 night/8 day trip. Nearest I can tell from totalling all the receipts and guessing on a few things, it looks like everything we ate totalled $964. So when you look at it that way then yes it was totally worth it! But if you look at it another way it is not. If we weren't on the DDP we would not have gone to all those places, therefore we would not have felt tied to ADR's all week, we would not have gotten dessert with every meal, and we certainly would not have bought all those snacks to bring home. So I guess it's all in how you look at it and it's a toss up!

I'm sure we could go and eat for less than $700. But we would lose most of our TS meals by doing so. We would probably only do about 2-3 TS meals for the week if we did not get the DDP. So, is that a bad thing? I don't know. We really always feel rushed trying to make it to all the ADR's. Honestly I would be happy with a TS dinner every other day.

It was definitely worth it for all the character meals we have done over the past 3 trips. I think we've been to nearly everyone of them! But now that we have done them and the kids are starting to get over that, that's another thing to take into consideration.

So those are just my thoughts. Not sure if we will do the DDP next time or not!

First off, thank you for your reviews!

I wanted to say that i came to this same conclusion. I think when you are planning you have to look at what you would do WITHOUT the dining plan. Then decide if it's worthwhile. If you find that you would save money then you can plan to make the DDP worthwhile. I was not considering doing the DDP but a few days ago sat down and added everything up and realized that we would in fact save money by doing the DDP. (We were doing a TS meal every day and all of them were at least 10.99 per child) So it would be like getting a CS and Snack for the kids for free every day.

The hard part is now that I know we are doing the DDP I want to change a few of our ADR's from breakfasts to dinners, and I can't get reasonable ADR's. :rotfl:

Still loving your reviews!!! :goodvibes Assuming we have the option of FD this trip, I was thinking about how to work the meals kwim? Last time, we did not have any dining plan, so everything was OOP - and it wasn't cheap, let me tell you :laughing: As Shelbecat posted, it does make more sense to use the TS credits for dinners, doesn't it?

Your reviews are so good that I'm really having trouble trying to narrow down our possible TS credit choices though :rotfl2: I printed the menus of some of the ones I thought we'd all enjoy and that made the choosing even harder! :lmao:

First off, thank you for your reviews!

I wanted to say that i came to this same conclusion. I think when you are planning you have to look at what you would do WITHOUT the dining plan. Then decide if it's worthwhile. If you find that you would save money then you can plan to make the DDP worthwhile. I was not considering doing the DDP but a few days ago sat down and added everything up and realized that we would in fact save money by doing the DDP. (We were doing a TS meal every day and all of them were at least 10.99 per child) So it would be like getting a CS and Snack for the kids for free every day.

The hard part is now that I know we are doing the DDP I want to change a few of our ADR's from breakfasts to dinners, and I can't get reasonable ADR's. :rotfl:

You're welcome! :goodvibes Thanks for reading!

Yes, the DDP isn't for everybody. It sure is nice when you have kids 9 & under because the price is right and you can take advantage of all those character meals!

Still loving your reviews!!! :goodvibes Assuming we have the option of FD this trip, I was thinking about how to work the meals kwim? Last time, we did not have any dining plan, so everything was OOP - and it wasn't cheap, let me tell you :laughing: As Shelbecat posted, it does make more sense to use the TS credits for dinners, doesn't it?

Your reviews are so good that I'm really having trouble trying to narrow down our possible TS credit choices though :rotfl2: I printed the menus of some of the ones I thought we'd all enjoy and that made the choosing even harder! :lmao:

Thanks Lisa! :goodvibes

Yes I think it makes more sense to use TS credits for dinner. An average TS dinner at WDW for the 4 of us is around $100+. And breakfast runs around $60-65. That's why we only did one TS breakfast this trip!

Good luck with your ADR's! :wizard:

Well I finally finished. Thanks so much for all of your reviews and the fabulous picks. I find that I can make a better decision on where to dine if I can actually look at pics of the food. It's so funny because at home, my family are definitely not "foodies". But, when we are at Disney, we are.:confused3

In 2006 and 2007, we purchased the dining plan and we absolutely loved it. This past August, we didn't purchase the plan because our trip was semi-spur of the moment (had to cancel our May/June trip and didn't think we would be going back until 2009). Since I had just three weeks to plan the trip, I knew I wouldn't be able to get decent ADRs. (But, I still tried.)

I have never ever been so tired of eating counter service food in my life! Even my picky 11 year old son commented on it.

Our trips are for 10 days so we know if we miss seeing an attraction we can always go back and catch it the next day. We also usually travel when the parks are open pretty late so we can make our ADRs for later in the evening. By the time our ADRs roll around, we are ready for a nice sit-down meal.

I did the math and the plan more than pays for itself for us. I have also found that when we are on the dining plan, we are more apt to try new foods and new restaurants. Well, my husband and I try new foods. My son sticks to pizzas, burgers and chicken strips.:rotfl:

Again, I greatly appreciate your dining report as well as your other reports. These reports and pics are what get us through to the next trip!

Well I finally finished. Thanks so much for all of your reviews and the fabulous picks. I find that I can make a better decision on where to dine if I can actually look at pics of the food. It's so funny because at home, my family are definitely not "foodies". But, when we are at Disney, we are.:confused3

In 2006 and 2007, we purchased the dining plan and we absolutely loved it. This past August, we didn't purchase the plan because our trip was semi-spur of the moment (had to cancel our May/June trip and didn't think we would be going back until 2009). Since I had just three weeks to plan the trip, I knew I wouldn't be able to get decent ADRs. (But, I still tried.)

I have never ever been so tired of eating counter service food in my life! Even my picky 11 year old son commented on it.

Our trips are for 10 days so we know if we miss seeing an attraction we can always go back and catch it the next day. We also usually travel when the parks are open pretty late so we can make our ADRs for later in the evening. By the time our ADRs roll around, we are ready for a nice sit-down meal.

I did the math and the plan more than pays for itself for us. I have also found that when we are on the dining plan, we are more apt to try new foods and new restaurants. Well, my husband and I try new foods. My son sticks to pizzas, burgers and chicken strips.:rotfl:

Again, I greatly appreciate your dining report as well as your other reports. These reports and pics are what get us through to the next trip!

Glad you enjoyed it!

Yes, that is one definite advantage to the DDP - being able to try new restaurants and new foods. Now if we could just get the kids to try new food then it would still be worth it when they turn 10 and are charged as an adult!

I can't wait to hear all about your trip and see if you like POP! :wizard:

Thanks for the excellent pics and reviews! I am planning on staying at the CBR June 2010, and I especially appreciated the food court review. I don't know if we'll use it much or not, but now I can make an educated decision. We enjoy the restaurants as much as the attractions--especially character meals. Thanks a bunch!

Thanks for the excellent pics and reviews! I am planning on staying at the CBR June 2010, and I especially appreciated the food court review. I don't know if we'll use it much or not, but now I can make an educated decision. We enjoy the restaurants as much as the attractions--especially character meals. Thanks a bunch!

Hi there! :goodvibes Welcome to the DIS. Glad you enjoyed the reviews!

I enjoyd your reviews!!! While eating at Yatchmen or Beach club I noticed the boardwalk area last year. Big River Grille looks yummy. How does one get to the boardwalk area? We will be staying at POP.

faith

I enjoyd your reviews!!! While eating at Yatchmen or Beach club I noticed the boardwalk area last year. Big River Grille looks yummy. How does one get to the boardwalk area? We will be staying at POP.

faith

Thank you! :goodvibes

You can get to the Boardwalk several ways. If you are in Epcot you can walk there. The Swan, Dolphin, Yacht Club, Beach Club, and Boardwalk Inn are all with in walking distance. From POP you could take a bus to Epcot and walk or take the boat. You could also take a bus to DHS and walk from there or take the boat. You could take a bus to MK and then take the Boardwalk bus to the Boardwalk. From MK you could also take the monorail to Epcot and walk or take the boat to the Boardwalk.

We always enjoy spending some relaxing time on the Boardwalk one evening. And now it's even better since we found a restaurant we really like there - BRG!

Could I just drive? Last year the bus system was BUSY. I would prefer to drive if I can. Thank you again

faith

Could I just drive? Last year the bus system was BUSY. I would prefer to drive if I can. Thank you again

faith

I'm sure you can! We never have a car, so I couldn't tell you how to get there. But I do know that the Epcot/Boardwalk area is only a 5 minute bus ride from CBR. And POP is right next door to CBR, so you will be very close!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter