MAY Solo Trippers POST HERE

Tinseltown Trauma said:
The only day I will be out of commission is Sunday, 5/15, as I'm going to KSC--I could not believe the kismet when it was recently announced that the return-to-flight is scheduled to happen on the day I would be there...just awesome!
In case you have the wrong idea about the Shuttle launch - - The "official" word is 5/15 - 6/3/2005 : Space Shuttle Return to Flight- STS-114 Discovery. These dates are the launch planning window. A firm date has not yet been selected.. What that means is that May 15 is the earliest possible launch date, NOT a confirmed launch date. They have had a variety of issues (mostly regarding the Repair Kit, but some other concerns as well) that have put them behind schedule. So they MAY or MAY NOT launch while you are here. Good luck! :)

taswira said:
In case you have the wrong idea about the Shuttle launch - - The "official" word is 5/15 - 6/3/2005 : Space Shuttle Return to Flight- STS-114 Discovery. These dates are the launch planning window. A firm date has not yet been selected.. What that means is that May 15 is the earliest possible launch date, NOT a confirmed launch date. They have had a variety of issues (mostly regarding the Repair Kit, but some other concerns as well) that have put them behind schedule. So they MAY or MAY NOT launch while you are here. Good luck! :)

Thank you for your response. I am aware of the implications of the launch window and some of the issues at play. However, you are somewhat mistaken, in that 5/15 has in fact been announced as the target date for this launch (various media, but doesn't appear on KSC website as such). It's also been made clear that there's a big push to succeed on this target date for a number of reasons, none the least of which is public relations, hence, the usual disclaimer about a launch window isn't entirely applicable. However, I don't think anyone is foolish enough to assume safety or other mission readiness would be compromised just to hit the target date. I'm personally not foolish enough to not have a Plan B.....Do you work for NASA?

TT

I have also heard 5/15 to early June as the "window" from my friend at NASA and from their website.

Also from NASA website:

What is a launch window?

The period of time in which the vehicle can be launched, usually ranging anywhere from one second to several hours.

Plus, they only give window dates to the public and not direct dates since 9/11.

Wish there was a more diff. date. Would love to see a launch!!

Evil Queen said:
I have also heard 5/15 to early June as the "window" from my friend at NASA and from their website.

Also from NASA website:

What is a launch window?

The period of time in which the vehicle can be launched, usually ranging anywhere from one second to several hours.

Plus, they only give window dates to the public and not direct dates since 9/11.

Wish there was a more diff. date. Would love to see a launch!!

You refer to a launch window as being a range of dates then refer to it as a timeframe in a single day--??

Re: the 9/11 constraint: Guess KSC will have a terrible time selling all those tickets for their special Launch Viewing Tour that they've been publicizing since they won't be allowed to ever reveal the actual date to the public.

So sorry so many folks missed the CNN press release. Oh, well.

TT

TT

We really want to see a date release, and launch date-would you please post this site with the dates?

Also did you catch that word "usually"? Re-read it, but still want some facts on our end. We want to see the next launch the last was aweome, horrible what happened on re-entry- though-God Bless them.

Thanks we really appreciate it!

I will be heading to WDW on May 1 - May 8! I'm so excited! I completely forgot about the Birthday kickoff. Can anyone tell me what is in store? BTW, I am a single dad traveling with a 6 DS. Does this eliminate me from future posts here?

Are you heading to the Kennedy Space Center?

No? Then this MAY be the wrong post/thread.

Do NOT look for a May 15th launch, more than likely will not happen that day. But you may catch a launch between then and 6/3. IF weather is "bad-horrible" may not happen until later. Next shuttle launch planned in July-PLANNING WINDOW July 12 thru July 31. Mission STS-121.

Are you looking for a single trip to Orlando, then by all means this forum is what you may be looking for?

Just a a note, from an innocent...I was going by the last post or three,,,,,sorry I should not have posted much of the above. Please delete if needed. Thanks!!

Tinseltown Trauma said:
Do you work for NASA?
No, I do not work for NASA. I do have a friend who works for NASA at KSC. He told me that in spite of the general media jumping to conclusions and announcing a May 15 launch date as soon as they heard the "planning window," there is no "official" launch date, only the 5/15 to 6/3 launch planning window. He seems pretty sure it will happen "the week of the 15th," which may or may not end up being the 15th itself. They will begin selling tickets for launch viewing as soon as they have set an official launch date. I had no intention of discouraging you, but could not tell from your original post if you knew that there was no official launch date set yet.

In any case, I'm sure you will have a wonderful time at WDW. :)

OK...Flying in May 7 and spending 2 days at Universal while staying offsite at Celebration World next to Celebration. Then checking into BWV early the 9th.
Leaving the evening of the 12th. Not sure if I'm solo or with my DD but in either event would love to meet up with some other Disboarders.

Jellyrolls? Adventure Club? Illumination Cruise? Where ever, I'm bringing my lime green Mickey from Home Depot!

Will be there totally solo May 18-22. Third solo trip thus far and I can't go back to going with others :teeth:

I'll be there the 20th thru the 23rd. I'm taking both boys, 23 & 19. So I'm not really going solo, but would enjoy some adult time.

there is no issue of safety there - so long as you use 'street smarts' like not hanging around parking lots - no problems at all! :) GO! :)

I'm going solo May 24-27. Just a quick trip before I'm off to Miami to visit family! Just 50 days!

I am heading to Florida on May 19th going to Vero until the 22nd then heading to BWV not travelling alone but I am single and will have time to myself going with Mom,Dad and 3yr old niece. Looking forward to going to Jellyrolls on Tues the 24th if anyone is interested in a meet PM me

Hi everyone! :wave:

I'll be going solo from May 16th through May 21st so I can have my first birthday at the World! (Celebrate my birthday for the first time, that is, I'm not turning 1...) Staying at SSR for the 16th -18th and BWV for the 19th and 20th, though I may change the 18th to BWV as well, all depends on whether or not I decide to Jellyroll for the 18th or PI it!

Would like to see SWW on Friday or Saturday, see the new rides and show obviously. Thinking about going to Typhoon Lagoon if the weather is nice one day and try the new power slide. (Maybe the last day.) I also need to get around to reserving a tour. I think I'd like to do Keys to the Kingdom, just not positive yet.

Perhaps I'll see some of you there?

crcormier said:
Hi everyone! :wave:

I'll be going solo from May 16th through May 21st so I can have my first birthday at the World! (Celebrate my birthday for the first time, that is, I'm not turning 1...) Staying at SSR for the 16th -18th and BWV for the 19th and 20th, though I may change the 18th to BWV as well, all depends on whether or not I decide to Jellyroll for the 18th or PI it!

Would like to see SWW on Friday or Saturday, see the new rides and show obviously. Thinking about going to Typhoon Lagoon if the weather is nice one day and try the new power slide. (Maybe the last day.) I also need to get around to reserving a tour. I think I'd like to do Keys to the Kingdom, just not positive yet.

Perhaps I'll see some of you there?

well, what are you doing on the 20th? nite time? I will be at the BC and we both have birthdays to celebrate! will anyone be at Jellyrolls that nite?

disneyworld! - great to see you making plans to meet up after your trip suddenly became a solo trip. And trust me, it will be just as good if not better than your original plans.....

I will be down May 28 thru June 3, 2005. Staying at OKW, have not made any plans, I usually just wing my days, but would love to met up with some one or a group....have gone solo many times, I love it but it would be fun to have someone to talk to sometimes and hold the line if needed, did not know about the single line - line, can anyone that knows more about it let me know....here I have been waiting in long lines with everyone else.....

also doing another solo trip Nov. 26 thru Dec. 2, 2005. not sure where I will be staying, Hoping to be welcome home to the Wilderness Lodge Villas by then, so hope I will be staying there.....as a DVC member. Will be doing the MVMCP too.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter