Marathon Weekend 2017!

Do you know if 2017 is the year of the 20th donald half marathon and if they will do something special to celebrate???

Do you know if 2017 is the year of the 20th donald half marathon and if they will do something special to celebrate???

Yes, 2017 will be the 20th anniversary for the Donald 1/2. Not sure if they'll do anything special to celebrate, besides maybe a creative finisher's medal and merchandise customized to recognize the 20th year.

So, when do you all start training for this? My plan is to run a half in April/May, a couple shorter races this summer, another half in the fall, then build up to 20 miles or so by January 2017.

I got a book fro Christmas that I'm eager to try, The Non-Runner's Guide to Marathon Running. It discusses the physical and psychological aspects of marathon running.

So, when do you all start training for this? My plan is to run a half in April/May, a couple shorter races this summer, another half in the fall, then build up to 20 miles or so by January 2017.

I got a book fro Christmas that I'm eager to try, The Non-Runner's Guide to Marathon Running. It discusses the physical and psychological aspects of marathon running.

Guessing this is your first marathon, I'd start training for it in June or July. That'll give you plenty of time to work up a good base before the mileage kicks up in Sept. Your longest training run will not be in January. It'll be 3 weeks before race day in December, followed by a taper period where you rest, recover, and swear that everyone around you is making you sick.

Myself and my Run Disney race partners are planning on Dopey in 2017. Will be our first full marathon and I will need all of 2016 to train. Excited to read about the events next week and see how all the marathoners do. Super excited.

Guessing this is your first marathon, I'd start training for it in June or July. That'll give you plenty of time to work up a good base before the mileage kicks up in Sept. Your longest training run will not be in January. It'll be 3 weeks before race day in December, followed by a taper period where you rest, recover, and swear that everyone around you is making you sick.

Yes, this will be my first. However, I did a half in October, so I'm familiar with the basics of distance training.

I am doing a train to train right now just building a base. Only doing a 10K in May, was going to do a half but don't really think I will be ready and a few smaller races through the year before a half in Oct. So exciting to see so many planning ahead.

I am having a hard time deciding on a training plan, I am leaning towards Galloway because it isn't is high on milage and days running as Higdon and due to my age I think that would be smart move but then I get nervous and think....is Galloway enough?

What are you a thinking?

I used RunKeeper for my half marathon training and that worked out pretty well. Might use that for marathon training if the battery on my phone lasts long enough for those long runs. Otherwise, I have the book I mentioned above (which uses essentially the same plan).

I am doing a train to train right now just building a base. Only doing a 10K in May, was going to do a half but don't really think I will be ready and a few smaller races through the year before a half in Oct. So exciting to see so many planning ahead.

I am having a hard time deciding on a training plan, I am leaning towards Galloway because it isn't is high on milage and days running as Higdon and due to my age I think that would be smart move but then I get nervous and think....is Galloway enough?

What are you a thinking?

When I did my first Goofy in 2013, I followed the Galloway plan - for the most part :) - and it worked for me. I was 45 when I started it then.

Keep in mind, the Galloway plan is for purposes of finishing upright, enjoying the experience, and avoiding injury...which fit perfect for my goals. It seems to me the other plans are for people that want to push themselves further and have competitive finish times. I'm curious as to what others might say about that though as that's just my perspective.

Bottom line: Galloway was enough for me.

Thanks. That is kinda what I was thinking. My goal will always be to finish uninjured. Someone once told me better to be under trained then injuried.

Thank you for the input

Kim

When I did my first Goofy in 2013, I followed the Galloway plan - for the most part :) - and it worked for me. I was 45 when I started it then.

Keep in mind, the Galloway plan is for purposes of finishing upright, enjoying the experience, and avoiding injury...which fit perfect for my goals. It seems to me the other plans are for people that want to push themselves further and have competitive finish times. I'm curious as to what others might say about that though as that's just my perspective.

Bottom line: Galloway was enough for me.

I concur. I did Galloway for Dopey #1 and finished upright and without having to stop. Those were the goals. If you want to be faster, then you would want to explore other plans.

We ran in 2015 and are planning on going back for 2017. My husband wants to do the Dopey and I'll do the half and 5k.

Can anyone tell me if there are any minimum age requirements for the 5k? I didn't see it on the runDisney page. My boys (ages 12 and 7 then) will want to run.

I ran my first marathon in WDW January 2015. I would like to attempt Dopey in 2017 but I heard rumors that they weren't doing it. I hope that's not true!!

Is anyone else already thinking ahead to Marathon Weekend 2017? I've got the bug after just getting home from a fun but disappointing Wine & Dine race weekend and all I can think about is going back. I'm a Disneyland girl and I need some kind of redemption for my Coast to Coast and I've already been talking about shooting to train for and run my first (and probably only) full marathon during race weekend in 2017. I don't think I can wait until after January to start thinking ahead for another year when it's all I have on my brain right now. Someone please tell me I'm not crazy, lol.
Not crazy at all!

I am planning to run my first and possibly only half marathon next January at WDW.

I thought about the Star Wars half but I really want to run through the castle and the one time I went to WDW in February I vowed I wouldn't go back because the weather was iffy (although I know we'll be taking our chances in January too!)

At any rate, I am looking forward to running & am already working on a 5K by March/April and we'll go from there...

Good luck to everyone training!

We ran in 2015 and are planning on going back for 2017. My husband wants to do the Dopey and I'll do the half and 5k.

Can anyone tell me if there are any minimum age requirements for the 5k? I didn't see it on the runDisney page. My boys (ages 12 and 7 then) will want to run.

They can change the age limits, but currently it is 5 years old to do the 5k. If I recall correctly last year was the first year with that limit. Though it may have been 2014.

I've done the Princess 5k with my now 7 year old daughter, and Avengers 5k with my daughter and 9 year old son. It is tons of fun:)

It's 5. From runDisney.com:

• You must be 5 years of age on race day to participate in the Walt Disney World® 5K. Each participant must be able to complete the 5K on their own.

So my New Years Resolution is to participate in the 5k at WDW Marathon week in January 2017. Can anyone give me any hints or tips as what to do? I know there is early registration for DVC members in April. If I get in can anyone say what the approx. cost is? Can I stay at Wilderness Lodge and still get the complimentary transportation to the race? What day is the 5k usually held on? Any other info very appreciated!!!

When @mbwhitti and I win PowerBall on Saturday, we're both in for Dopey next year! Should I go ahead and book a bungalow at Poly? :D

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter