Marathon Weekend 2017!

Belle Ella

DIS Veteran
Is anyone else already thinking ahead to Marathon Weekend 2017? I've got the bug after just getting home from a fun but disappointing Wine & Dine race weekend and all I can think about is going back. I'm a Disneyland girl and I need some kind of redemption for my Coast to Coast and I've already been talking about shooting to train for and run my first (and probably only) full marathon during race weekend in 2017. I don't think I can wait until after January to start thinking ahead for another year when it's all I have on my brain right now. Someone please tell me I'm not crazy, lol.

I'm not looking at Marathon weekend for my next race, but I can echo the sentiment of looking for redemption after Wine and Dine. I am so disappointed that my first runDisney event had to go off like that, since I'm not in a position to just easily be able to go back and try again whenever I want. I thought doing one event would tide me over for awhile, but now I'm just instantly already thinking about needing another shot.

I am looking at 2018 - every other year for me.

Makes me feel better that others are looking even further ahead than I am!

I was thinking of doing the 2017 races. I would really like to attempt Dopey one day, but I may do just the marathon and Dopey in 2018.

I'll dream about attempting Dopey, but I'm pretty sure I'll never do it. A full is a huge huge huge deal for me and I don't even know if I'll be able to do it in the first place. More power to you with whatever you end up doing.

I'm not looking at Marathon weekend for my next race, but I can echo the sentiment of looking for redemption after Wine and Dine. I am so disappointed that my first runDisney event had to go off like that, since I'm not in a position to just easily be able to go back and try again whenever I want. I thought doing one event would tide me over for awhile, but now I'm just instantly already thinking about needing another shot.

I can't imagine how everyone feels who was attempting their first half marathon or first runDisney event. Definitely a huge let down I'm sure. This had been my first trip out from California and my first attempt at a Coast to Coast. But I did 3 other runDisney races this year and still ran on the east coast so I had a little to take comfort in with my medals. But ugh! Have you thought about which race you'd probably try in the future if you do?

I can't imagine how everyone feels who was attempting their first half marathon or first runDisney event. Definitely a huge let down I'm sure. This had been my first trip out from California and my first attempt at a Coast to Coast. But I did 3 other runDisney races this year and still ran on the east coast so I had a little to take comfort in with my medals. But ugh! Have you thought about which race you'd probably try in the future if you do?
It's definitely a major letdown. And yes, I have thought about a future race and I've got my sights set on Princess right now (if I could do 2017, that would be great). My only hesitation with that is it's in the winter, and travel is always risky at that time. With my job, I wouldn't be able to get a cushion of time off to try to get there early, so I'd be concerned about flight cancellations and delays. So I don't know.

More than likely I will not be back to Marathon Weekend until 2019. we are taking a break from Disney World, but may venture out to Disneyland.

But it will be a little sad to see sign ups, medals, news, etc knowing I will not be going. However when I return I am eying Goofy or Dopey.

I am doing 2016. I will wait for Dopey 2018 to run the full again. However I will probably be volunteering for the 2017 full weekend and probably all of the 2017 events. After the DW Stars Wars Challenge I will take a break from running Disney events and run some more local ones instead.

I'll be in for some form or fashion in '17. I'm not planning Dopey again until '18, unless for some reason I just fall in love with it.

We're generally in Orlando for Christmas and New Years, so it's just easy for me to commit to Marathon weekend over any other WDW run weekend.

Is anyone else already thinking ahead to Marathon Weekend 2017? I've got the bug after just getting home from a fun but disappointing Wine & Dine race weekend and all I can think about is going back. I'm a Disneyland girl and I need some kind of redemption for my Coast to Coast and I've already been talking about shooting to train for and run my first (and probably only) full marathon during race weekend in 2017. I don't think I can wait until after January to start thinking ahead for another year when it's all I have on my brain right now. Someone please tell me I'm not crazy, lol.
Not crazy at all. I am doing 2016, and know I'll be doing 2018. I 'm not sure about 2017, but I am thinking about it.

I was thinking of doing the 2017 races. I would really like to attempt Dopey one day, but I may do just the marathon and Dopey in 2018.

I'm pretty sure you aren't allowed to use the phrase "just the" in front of the word Marathon.

I'm glad you posted this, I was considering a similar one but didn't know if anyone was looking that far ahead! I plan on doing W&D HM again just because I like that weekend / but I was "thinking" about conditioning and training for Dopey 2017! Have you done that Jessica? Anyone got any year long training tips? I need to do a lot to be ready - more so to be ready and be able to enjoy rather than come to the brink during them and not enjoy it!

I'll dream about attempting Dopey, but I'm pretty sure I'll never do it. A full is a huge huge huge deal for me and I don't even know if I'll be able to do it in the first place. More power to you with whatever you end up doing.

If you get to the point you can run a marathon, running a Dopey isn't that much more of an effort. Training for a marathon (at least for me) involves training runs of 15, 17.5, and 20 miles even before race day. You almost get to the point where a half is - for lack of a better term - 'easy'!

That's also given that - like me - you're there to have fun, enjoy WDW, and still have a respectable finish time rather than win the whole darned thing.

I would argue that the toughest part about the Dopey is the 4 straight absurdly early mornings!!!

Marathon weekend 2017 is the next runDisney event circled for me too. Was already thinking that before W&D -- my first rD event -- though.

I would love to be going in 2017, but am going to have to wait until 2018. Promised my wife I would take a break after this year. Plus with 2018 being the 5-year for Dopey it seemed a fair compromise (and will keep me out of the dog house!)

I am hoping to do the full in 2017. Haven't decided on whether to make it a challenge. Depends how free of injury I stay between now and registration. I hope to do a local full sometime in 2016, making WDW full my second.

Since we are going to the 2016 weekend and we've decided no more huge WDW trips until my kiddo is 5 (so 2018) I'm out for next year. But we do want to do a Disneyland related half marathon weekend in between where it's just us adults and on the cheap and rope in some Cali relatives. So DL half or Tink most likely...unless we end up hating distances over 10 miles...haha

hey everyone when would registration be for half marathon for marathon weekend 2017? im new to running and would like to use that for real motivation. thanks

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!