• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Marathon Weekend 2017!

I may just have DD26 do the Memory Maker purchase since we are linked in MDE and we are both running the Marathon.

That's a great idea!

Out of curiosity, why is there a reservation in your cart that you can neither pay for nor remove? For the Gift of Magic offer, aren't you required to book by December 21, 2016, and since space is limited, aren't you in risk of losing out on the offer if you don't book now?

That's a great idea!

Out of curiosity, why is there a reservation in your cart that you can neither pay for nor remove? For the Gift of Magic offer, aren't you required to book by December 21, 2016, and since space is limited, aren't you in risk of losing out on the offer if you don't book now?

It is booked, it only lets you pay the deposit (1 night) when you book a room only. Then you pay the balance when you check in, either online or at the hotel. This is what we were told and how we have always done it. If there is another way I would love to hear it. :)

It is booked, it only lets you pay the deposit (1 night) when you book a room only. Then you pay the balance when you check in, either online or at the hotel. This is what we were told and how we have always done it. If there is another way I would love to hear it. :)

No, that's how I have done it in the past as well... pay the one night as a deposit on a room-only reservation. However, after I pay the one night, the reservation is booked, and it moves to my reservations where I can see the balance due and the due date. I don't ever remember anything staying in the cart after I paid the deposit. Has anyone else seen this?

Is the reservation also listed under "My Reservations and Tickets" when you go there?

No, that's how I have done it in the past as well... pay the one night as a deposit on a room-only reservation. However, after I pay the one night, the reservation is booked, and it moves to my reservations where I can see the balance due and the due date. I don't ever remember anything staying in the cart after I paid the deposit. Has anyone else seen this?

Is the reservation also listed under "My Reservations and Tickets" when you go there?

When you successfully check out, the room reservation should leave your cart just like @opusone is saying. If it's hung in your cart, you may want to call or use the online chat to get things cleared out.

Yes it's there. And showing in the app. And I saved the email they sent me, lol. I don't remember whether or not is has stayed in the cart before. I would think so, since it isn't paid for yet?

Yes it's there. And showing in the app. And I saved the email they sent me, lol. I don't remember whether or not is has stayed in the cart before. I would think so, since it isn't paid for yet?

Okay, last question, then I promise to leave you alone... do you think you may have a second booking (for the same hotel/offer) started in your cart?

Okay, last question, then I promise to leave you alone... do you think you may have a second booking (for the same hotel/offer) started in your cart?

Lol, you are awesome! That was it exactly. After chatting with Disney, emptying my cache, etc, lol! It must have gotten there when I rebooked after I saw the Gift of Magic offer.

Woot! We're booked for BWI, which turns out to be super-convenient for a lot of reasons, but especially now that DH and I decided to spectate the marathon. I've never spectated before, so this is exciting. We plan to make signs and bring some candy or other mile 24ish (assuming same course) treats. Any suggestions/requests?

For those who have stayed at the Swan or Dolphin during marathon weekend, do they run pre-race buses from these hotels? Also, (I'm assuming this is a no) does Disney ever open the IG entrance to allow runners to walk through Epcot to get to the start of the race?

For those who have stayed at the Swan or Dolphin during marathon weekend, do they run pre-race buses from these hotels? Also, (I'm assuming this is a no) does Disney ever open the IG entrance to allow runners to walk through Epcot to get to the start of the race?
I haven't stayed there, but by "pre-race buses" do you mean expo buses and buses to the starting line? Yes, they do have those - I know this because allllll of the Epcot resort sometimes share the races buses.

No walking through the park before the race. :) But you'll have a nice, short ride!

I haven't stayed there, but by "pre-race buses" do you mean expo buses and buses to the starting line? Yes, they do have those - I know this because allllll of the Epcot resort sometimes share the races buses.

No walking through the park before the race. :) But you'll have a nice, short ride!

Yes, I mean the early AM busses to get everyone to the race starting line. Thanks!

Woot! We're booked for BWI, which turns out to be super-convenient for a lot of reasons, but especially now that DH and I decided to spectate the marathon. I've never spectated before, so this is exciting. We plan to make signs and bring some candy or other mile 24ish (assuming same course) treats. Any suggestions/requests?

Beer. Or mimosas.

That's all I've got ...

EDIT: I remember the stretch along Boardwalk this year - that was the one stretch where spectators could put yard signs in the ground, so it was really cool to see.

My husband and friends were waiting for us at the area between BWI and Swolphin, and they said it was the PERFECT location to spectate. Plus, Tourist Genie was out there, so they got to see a character!

It's my first time running a Disney race and I'm so lost and can't find a lot of information. Possibly I'm asking for military secrets (what the heck???) but where exactly can my family see me run (half marathon on some day in January - the 6th or 7th or in between)? Preferably where they can see me at the finish line? We are staying at BWI which I naively thought I (and they) could walk to the Epcot start (finish) but now I'm not so sure. So...can I walk to the start line or do I have to take a bus...before 4 am for a race that starts at 5:30 (snarky, sorry ;)? And for my 75 year old mother, she's good with a stroll through Epcot at the b. crack of dawn with my daughter...and sister...and brother-in-law... but I might actually finish in a decent amount of time so how do they get from BWI to the finish line? Because seriously, spending thousands of dollars to bring me and them all to Disney to get up this early is sounding more like a chore than a convenience to stay at an Epcot resort (oh yes, definitely snarky!)

Beer. Or mimosas.

That's all I've got ...

EDIT: I remember the stretch along Boardwalk this year - that was the one stretch where spectators could put yard signs in the ground, so it was really cool to see.

My husband and friends were waiting for us at the area between BWI and Swolphin, and they said it was the PERFECT location to spectate. Plus, Tourist Genie was out there, so they got to see a character!

The best location for a beer stop is near the stairs from BW down to the walking path. It's an easy location to remember when you're running by. This is where we normally have ours set up.

It's my first time running a Disney race and I'm so lost and can't find a lot of information. Possibly I'm asking for military secrets (what the heck???) but where exactly can my family see me run (half marathon on some day in January - the 6th or 7th or in between)? Preferably where they can see me at the finish line? We are staying at BWI which I naively thought I (and they) could walk to the Epcot start (finish) but now I'm not so sure. So...can I walk to the start line or do I have to take a bus...before 4 am for a race that starts at 5:30 (snarky, sorry ;)? And for my 75 year old mother, she's good with a stroll through Epcot at the b. crack of dawn with my daughter...and sister...and brother-in-law... but I might actually finish in a decent amount of time so how do they get from BWI to the finish line? Because seriously, spending thousands of dollars to bring me and them all to Disney to get up this early is sounding more like a chore than a convenience to stay at an Epcot resort (oh yes, definitely snarky!)

Finish line is in the Epcot parking lot and that's where the viewing stands are for all the marathon weekend races (5,10,half,full). You can also purchase Chear Squad package for your mom so she has reserved seating and access to a tent where they have food.

you cannot walk to the start line - only shuttle buses or car. The buses have a cutoff time but I would look at last years guide to get a better idea...it will also show you a map and you can see the viewing locations better.

Dependent on how fast you are there is something else to consider. In 2016, the free transportation buses ran from 3:00-5:00 and 7:00-on. I was in corral C (HM POT less than 1:57) and ran a 1:43. My family chose to take the 7:00am bus from Animal Kingdom Lodge (which is admittedly further than BW hotels) and made it to the finish line about 2 min before I crossed at 7:20am. This year their choice (since I'm likely in B and to run around a 1:35) is to take the last bus at around 4:50-5:00am or to not see me at all. They are going to choose to sleep in.

You're right that your family (and you) cannot walk to the starting line from the BWI. Race transportation will be going...pretty short right. And yes, you do have to get on the bus that early. This is a huge event with a lot of people and you'll have a good 20-minute walk from where the bus drops you off to where the starting corrals are. Roads are closed, bus drivers sometimes get lost...you want to be on the bus early.

I spectated the Princess Half (same course) - we got on the race transportation bus a little before 5 and went to the Magic Kingdom and watched our BFF run down Main Street. We had to wait a bit to see her, but it was fun (no park ticket needed). Then we took the monorail to Epcot to see her again twice near SpaceShip Earth (we did need a park ticket for this). We didn't see her at the finish but we figured it would be super crowded there, so using this other strategy we saw her 3 times on the course.

The Boardwalk is a great resort but if you aren't happy with that choice now that you know more about the race transportation, I'm sure you could always move to another resort for the weekend. :)

Last edited:

We've always stayed at either BWI or Poly for race weekends. BWI is my favorite as a runner - I like the short bus ride to the start and back after the race. I far prefer a warm bus to the monorail. I love having the Epcot resort area and Epcot for all the dining options pre- and post-race. And it's easy for my family to walk to Epcot or DHS right after the race and for me to join them quickly after I get ready for the day. But as @DopeyBadger mentioned, opportunity for your spectators depends on your pace and how it matches up with transportation options. When we're staying at BWI, my spectators are either on that bus before 5am or they might not see me at the finish. I think they should just sleep in this time around.

On the other hand, Poly is my favorite as a spectator. So we choose Poly when it's important for spectators, and specifically when my parents are with us. The morning of the full marathon, my parents were able to just roll out of bed that morning and see me pass by the TTC and then again outside Poly. They hung out at the resort, ate breakfast and then hopped on the monorail to see me at the finish line. Super easy for them.

I've only spectated one race - my husband and teen boys ran the half marathon while I was resting up for the marathon the next day. I did the following from Poly:

1. Walked to TTC from our room around 6am. Set up chEAR squad blanket for our youngest. Saw our runners, and received the loads of ridiculous extra clothing they were wearing for the start of the race.
2. Carried loads of ridiculous clothing back to the room, dropped it off, went to Poly club lounge to get breakfast to go for our youngest. Met my parents to bring them along.
3. Walked to front of Poly, saw our runners.
4. Hopped on monorail from TTC to Epcot. Turned to the right instead of the left when exiting monorail station and saw our runners enter Epcot.
5. Ran across Epcot lot to finish line and saw our runners finish the race.

They run at a very leisurely pace, making this all possible. Still, I was pretty proud of four viewing locations with a little one and my parents! Turns out I expended a ton of energy the day before the marathon anyway - I'm an enthusiastic spectator.

Last edited:
Beer. Or mimosas.

That's all I've got ...

Love the run through the Boardwalk area. My second favorite part of the race I think after MK. Partly because I know I'm almost done :) and just because the crowd support there is usually fantastic.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter