Marathon Weekend 2016

I did EE when I came through on the course this year. Went through the single rider took around 12 minutes from when I entered the line to when I reentered the course? I got there around ten minutes after AK opened so considering it wasn't just runners we were dealing with but park people it wasn't too bad overall. I would do it again (I had fun, plus it was a good small break from running to eat my snack and just drink something while I waited) if I manage to hit the park at opening but I'm not going to stop and wait if I'm way ahead of opening. It was my only planned stop (I did end up stopping for two character photos in Epcot but I pretty much blasted through everyone else because I wanted to use my time riding EE).

I'm planning to go Goofy this coming year so I'm not quiet sure what's going to happen, until I get to AK itself. I'm hoping to be through AK long before opening this coming year. But who knows.

For previous Goofy runners is it better to submit a half or a full time for corral placement for the races? I want to try to get in one of the higher corrals. And I have a full and a half in the fall near each other and I'm wondering which one I should shoot for a better time for, for the sake of corral placement.

I was undecided about EE as I prepared for my full this year. It was my first full so it would automatically be a PR for me. But how cool would it to have been to say I road EE during my marathon?! SO I left it as I'll see how I feel when I approach AK.

I was seeded higher up (corral G if I recall), and given my pacing I didn't think I'd be running by it before EE opened. My thoughts were well founded as I think I ran past EE about 8:30ish and I believe it didn't open until 9:00.

Well I can't back out now. My father-in-law is going to run the 5k with me and they booked a 2 bedroom villa at Bay Lake Tower (Contemporary's DVC tower.) If I sign up right when it opens on 4/28 will I be able to get both of us signed up before it gets full?

I started my training this weekend by walking a 5k so that I have a feel for my route through my neighborhood that works best. I ditched my really old sneakers and bought a pair of Brooks at my local mom & pop owned shoe store on sale (what a difference!) I pulled out any and all of my running appropriate clothes and made a drawer devoted to early morning wake ups. I've downloaded my app. and set myself a schedule. I've basically eliminated all excuses for any reasons that I'm not yet "ready to start." Heck, it's 72 today and the snow is melted. I've been doing yoga classes this past month up to this point to get me looser and more flexible and to work on my breathing. I'm basically posting this to hold myself accountable...I'm saying it, so I'm doing it. My journey to 5ks starts tonight after work with walk/jog #1!

I started my training this weekend by walking a 5k so that I have a feel for my route through my neighborhood that works best. I ditched my really old sneakers and bought a pair of Brooks at my local mom & pop owned shoe store on sale (what a difference!) I pulled out any and all of my running appropriate clothes and made a drawer devoted to early morning wake ups. I've downloaded my app. and set myself a schedule. I've basically eliminated all excuses for any reasons that I'm not yet "ready to start." Heck, it's 72 today and the snow is melted. I've been doing yoga classes this past month up to this point to get me looser and more flexible and to work on my breathing. I'm basically posting this to hold myself accountable...I'm saying it, so I'm doing it. My journey to 5ks starts tonight after work with walk/jog #1!
With a plan and attitude like that, you'll be running a lot farther than 5ks very, very soon! :thumbsup2

Well I can't back out now. My father-in-law is going to run the 5k with me and they booked a 2 bedroom villa at Bay Lake Tower (Contemporary's DVC tower.) If I sign up right when it opens on 4/28 will I be able to get both of us signed up before it gets full?

as far as registration goes yes if you are ready to go when it opens you shouldn't have any problems getting both of you signed up, someone on these boards usually posts the active link ahead of time so have that ready to go and you shouldn't have to much trouble doing 2 5k signups

Your plan is perfect, you have the right mind set and the right goals in place now you just have to do the work and who knows you might wind up like a lot of us where your work out becomes your favorite part of the day

When does passholder early registration open.I'm only going to do the full in 2016,no Dopey or Goofy nor is this Wine and Dine so I have no worries about it selling out but just want to know when I can get in if I opt to do the passholder registration route.I'm definitely cutting back on the number of races next running season (Oct-March),just sticking to Wine and Dine,the Disney full,the Gasparilla Michelob Ultra Challenge and maybe 2 more half marathons.This past Sunday was the Sarasota half and the last major race until probably October and I am sad there's no more races on the schedule coming up but also glad cause I am raced out,I've done like 13 major races between Oct and the Sarasota half including Goofy and it's the most I've ever done and my body need some rest.Sarasota went pretty well but some of the halfs I did after Goofy the times weren't awful or anything but it felt like I had no higher gears,I would start slow and steady and finish slower and steady,just hoping to finish them in under 2:30 but no real hope to even be close to a PR.What's amazing is that all this running and I've lost no weight so the goal the next couple of months is changing my eating habits.

What's amazing is that all this running and I've lost no weight so the goal the next couple of months is changing my eating habits.
Most runners overestimate their calories burned from running while underestimating their calories consumed. I suggest myfitnesspal to track calories burned vs calories consumed. It also does a great job tracking the major breakdown of the foods consumed (protien, fat, carbs, sugars, etc) which can help you eat properly. It is free, and the food database has over 5 million entries from most restaurants as well as home made dishes. Track every bite of food that you eat. You can meet your goals - just stay positive and change your focus to food consumed instead of miles run.

Good Luck!

Most runners overestimate their calories burned from running while underestimating their calories consumed. I suggest myfitnesspal to track calories burned vs calories consumed. It also does a great job tracking the major breakdown of the foods consumed (protien, fat, carbs, sugars, etc) which can help you eat properly. It is free, and the food database has over 5 million entries from most restaurants as well as home made dishes. Track every bite of food that you eat. You can meet your goals - just stay positive and change your focus to food consumed instead of miles run.

Good Luck!

This. 100% this. I noticed my most dramatic weight loss (I'm talking 10 pounds in roughly 15 days) during a work trip where I was running every day (3 miles or so), cutting WAY back on the booze (and I was in Vegas - go figure!) and eating a lot healthier food because it was more appealing, or I was eating at places with higher-quality ingredients.

Allright folks I need some advice, against my better judgement I followed along with all of the W&D shenanigans Tuesday now I'm starting to dread our registration, I know I'm probably freaking over nothing as Marathon Weekend has more capacity and probably less demand so help me put my mind at ease, I'm trying to register my wife and I for the 5k and myself for the marathon while she will be at work to register herself for the 10k and our son for the kids race...my plan as of now is to get her and I in the 5 first then get my marathon but I know I will be crushed if somehow the marathon were to sell out before I got in, I imagine the demand is more on the challenges and I really should be ok but now I'm second guessing myself so in closing someone tell me I'm crazy and I shouldn't be worried like I am please......

Allright folks I need some advice, against my better judgement I followed along with all of the W&D shenanigans Tuesday now I'm starting to dread our registration, I know I'm probably freaking over nothing as Marathon Weekend has more capacity and probably less demand so help me put my mind at ease, I'm trying to register my wife and I for the 5k and myself for the marathon while she will be at work to register herself for the 10k and our son for the kids race...my plan as of now is to get her and I in the 5 first then get my marathon but I know I will be crushed if somehow the marathon were to sell out before I got in, I imagine the demand is more on the challenges and I really should be ok but now I'm second guessing myself so in closing someone tell me I'm crazy and I shouldn't be worried like I am please......
I would say...

10K first
Then 5Ks
Then kids races
Then marathon

:confused3

I would say...

10K first
Then 5Ks
Then kids races
Then marathon

:confused3

Luckily we will both be able to work the registrations and from 2 different spots so I'm probably over thinking it. She is going to handle her 10k and the kids race and I'll handle the 5s and the marathon. The marathon is my main reason for doing this but it's also the least likely to sell out at any sort of speed so I think I'm stressing over nothing so I'm gonna tell my brain to shut up and I'm sure everything will be fine

I also made the questionable decision to wade into the vortex of confusion that was W&D registration and managed to psyche myself out. I think you have it figured out as well as you can. Marathon registration should definitely fill last of all the races you are looking at doing, so your order of attack looks correct. I am expecting everything to work out well, but I'll be fine if I have to settle for the Goofy instead of keeping my Dopey streak. All we can do is show up on time and hope that registration goes smoothly. Just a little nerve-wracking seeing all of these registrations continue to accelerate in speed of sellout.

I also made the questionable decision to wade into the vortex of confusion that was W&D registration and managed to psyche myself out. I think you have it figured out as well as you can. Marathon registration should definitely fill last of all the races you are looking at doing, so your order of attack looks correct. I am expecting everything to work out well, but I'll be fine if I have to settle for the Goofy instead of keeping my Dopey streak. All we can do is show up on time and hope that registration goes smoothly. Just a little nerve-wracking seeing all of these registrations continue to accelerate in speed of sellout.

You've already made me feel better that I'm not the only one I feel like 5 registrations between 2 people really shouldn't be that difficult to accomplish especially using the back door link that usually gets posted here to avoid the inevitable RunDisney website crash, I can also use 2 devices if necessary. I'm still unsure wether it's better to sign in with my active account or not I've heard conflicting reports on if it has your info pre filled out, I know every other race I've signed up for through active it was already filled out but some have said for disney it doesn't I guess it wouldn't hurt anything to be signed in

Definitely register for the marathon last. It was at least summer or later last year that it sold out, and two years ago I did not even register for the marathon until mid-June. The Half, 5K and 10K will go real quick so those should be the priority.

Signing into my Active account ahead of time didn't do anything for me during Disneyland registration. I still had to type everything in. :confused3

One thing to keep in mind...the races that have recently been selling out quickly have much lower capacity than the January races at WDW. That should help.

I seriously doubt the FULL will fill up before May or June. Heck, last year the FULL and Goofy (10 year anniversary) were still available in August. AT that point that spilt a lot of the remaining Goofy spots into FULL and more HALF spots.

If I were you I would register the races in this order:

Kids
Full

I am nervous about this year's registration as I have two 5Ks, three 10Ks, a Half, and two Kids races. I did the full last year, but I want to go back to the Half. However I realize that if the half sells out before I can reigister, I can always do the full (even if I don't really want to). But the first race (10K) to sell out didn't do so until just under two hours of registration opening. So I think as long as you're at the computer at noon, you shouldn't have an issue.

One thing to keep in mind...the races that have recently been selling out quickly have much lower capacity than the January races at WDW. That should help.

Yeah I think I just over thought it and psyched myself out I really think we will be fine some im not gonna think about again until registration day comes then ill freak out again :scared:

I seriously doubt the FULL will fill up before May or June. Heck, last year the FULL and Goofy (10 year anniversary) were still available in August. AT that point that spilt a lot of the remaining Goofy spots into FULL and more HALF spots.
But the first race (10K) to sell out didn't do so until just under two hours of registration opening.

given this info I think we will be fine those are the 2 most important races for us and she will be ready to go at 11:45 to get herself in the 10k then get our son in the kids while I get us in the 5k and then I get myself in the marathon if we have at least 2 hours then we should be golden

Thanks everyone for helping ease my mind I really shouldn't have judged by how W&D went because I know its a smaller capacity race but it just went so fast it was crazyness

The two grandparents coming with us are looking to book flights when they find a good deal. They want to leave for home on Sunday which is the day of the marathon (grandpa is running the 5k.) Will traffic closures highly effect Magic Express buses to the airport? If so, what time of the day should I tell them is best to wait until they fly out? Should I just tell them to book an evening flight?

The Contemporary (Bay Lake Tower) and they have not picked a flight time yet. I'm trying to make sure we avoid running into marathon traffic on the Magical Express (unless there is no cause to worry about that?)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter