• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Click Here

Marathon Weekend 2016

I'm a 50 year old that needs to get moving. Since August I walk daily between 2.5 mi - 5 mi a day ( this is through the course of my day not all at one time) Good news is my slightly elevated blood pressure is no longer elevated. I have thought about getting in shape for a 5k (I am overweight) since I walk almost that far every day. Being the DVC/AP/TiW Disney enthusiast that I am I thought maybe using Disney as my incentive. Is there anyone out there, that has been this route? Am I fooling myself that a 50yo, overweight who only walks can stay the course and maybe do the 5k next winter? I downloaded the couch to 5k app. There are some really great reviews. Can anyone tell me how fast you have to maintain not to get swept. I would die if that happened to me, I know that sounds silly but, for me, I don't want that. Currently I'm at about 18.5 minute mile but that is only walking and not challenging myself at all. I'm sorry if this has been answered in other threads but I couldn't seem to find what I was looking for. Lastly, how late can you register without it being closed? I would hate to make my plans before I'm sure I can do this. The whole thing intimidates me a bit. Thanks for any info.

You are not fooling yourself at all, the thing that is great about the 5k distance is its very doable for the average person it doesn't take hours of training like say a half marathon would, The couch to 5k app is the perfect intro into running ( I used the active.com version when I first started to run a two years ago) it eases you into things and it only takes 3 workouts a week for about 30 mins each. I am also pretty sure that they do not sweep the 5k if you are currently walking at around 18 mins per mile you should have no trouble working up to an average of 16 over 3 miles. My advice is go for it and you will most likely be amazed at how well you will do and if you ever need encouragement or advice I know there will be plenty of people right on this board that will be ready and willing to help. as for registration you are going to have to register the day it opens (4/28) as these races tend to go quickly the nice thing about this is it should give you all the motivation you need to achieve your goal! good luck and cant wait to hear all about your success

I'm a 50 year old that needs to get moving. Since August I walk daily between 2.5 mi - 5 mi a day ( this is through the course of my day not all at one time) Good news is my slightly elevated blood pressure is no longer elevated. I have thought about getting in shape for a 5k (I am overweight) since I walk almost that far every day. Being the DVC/AP/TiW Disney enthusiast that I am I thought maybe using Disney as my incentive. Is there anyone out there, that has been this route? Am I fooling myself that a 50yo, overweight who only walks can stay the course and maybe do the 5k next winter? I downloaded the couch to 5k app. There are some really great reviews. Can anyone tell me how fast you have to maintain not to get swept. I would die if that happened to me, I know that sounds silly but, for me, I don't want that. Currently I'm at about 18.5 minute mile but that is only walking and not challenging myself at all. I'm sorry if this has been answered in other threads but I couldn't seem to find what I was looking for. Lastly, how late can you register without it being closed? I would hate to make my plans before I'm sure I can do this. The whole thing intimidates me a bit. Thanks for any info.

I was 45 years old a few years ago and about 40 lbs over weight. I was a regular runner back in my late 20's but stopped due to a whole host of things. We had just returned from WDW for our 10th anniversary and I was poking around the web for more Disney ideas and, purely by chance, stumbled across the marathon weekend. Somehow I ended up at Lee Hoedl's (forgive the spelling) vids on YouTube. That was all I needed with regards to incentive and inspiration!

I needed to lose weight anyway so I decided to start running again and after awhile, I'd gauge my progress and see if a marathon was a possibility by the following January. If I had known any better at that time, I'd realize how foolish it sounded but I wasn't smart enough to realize how stupid I was!

Long story short (too late!), my plan was to go out a run an easy mile - a guy like me could run an easy mile, right? Nope. I made it 1/4 mile and was spent! This was Feb. 21st of 2012. It was humbling but it ticked me off more than anything. Three days later I went back out and made it 1/2 mile. Two days later I made it 3/4 and three days after that, I finally ran (jogged/lumbered) an entire whole mile. That was three years ago yesterday (March 1).

I just kept plugging away, watching Lee Hoedl's videos and reading the many, many blogs about how awesome the Disney races are. I ran a local 10K here in June of that year - it was a disaster - I finished but really struggled. But then something "clicked" over the summer.

I ran a Half in late August of that year and signed up to run a Half in October in Detroit. The training was going so well, I took the plunge and switched from the half to the full before the deadline.

I say all of this (and give the dates) for one reason - don't let the thought intimidate you one bit. I am the proverbial "If I can do it, anybody can do it" guy. I'm certainly nothing special - trust me. I just really, really wanted to run the marathon at Disney...and it sounds like you do, too.

It's going to take some time (a LOT of time). If you're like me, you'll need to change your eating habits because you'll find what helps you get through those runs and what impedes you. I still miss going to Steak-N-Shake every week! I had to give up a some TV shows due to the time demands but maybe that's not really a bad thing?

You're ahead of where I was when I started - I certainly wasn't walking 5 miles per day!

Good luck!

I know 5k is nothing compared to 10k or half or marathon...but maybe I'll just work up to those in future years :)
First, a 5K is not "nothing"! We'll have none of that around here. ;) Second, as you've already seen, a whole lot of us Disney runners started with a runDisney 5K... so be warned: it's the gateway drug to running #ALLtheraces lol! My then-9yo son asked if we could do a Disney race and we "ran" (there wasn't a whole lot of running there) the Princess 5K in 2012 - um, yeah... just peek down at my signature to see what happened from there. :lmao:

So I've been toying with the idea of running a marathon and have almost decided to do Disney 2016. I think I'm more nervous about the long training days more then the race itself. I know if I'm prepared that the atmosphere of a Disney race always gives me a boost.
Sounds like you and I are in a similar place! I keep toying with the idea of the 2016 full, too, and I'm still very undecided - and yeah, the training is the biggest hurdle in my mind. I know I can finish 26.2, but do I want to? Do I want to take that much training time away from an already hectic life? IDK yet. I have a feeling this will be a registration day decision... :surfweb:

I would love to hear what others use as a running app since I don't really want to buy a running watch!
I use Runkeeper, too, for data storage, but I use iSmoothRun as my real-time running app. I like the expanded options on it and the voice is quick and to the point: "Run!" when it's time to run, "Walk" when it's time to walk - none of that long, drawn out spiel from Runkeeper lol! iSmooth also logs shoe mileage, which I LOVE, can be pre-set for nutrition reminders, and works seamlessly with music. :thumbsup2

Am I fooling myself that a 50yo, overweight who only walks can stay the course and maybe do the 5k next winter? I downloaded the couch to 5k app. There are some really great reviews. Can anyone tell me how fast you have to maintain not to get swept. I would die if that happened to me, I know that sounds silly but, for me, I don't want that. Currently I'm at about 18.5 minute mile but that is only walking and not challenging myself at all. I'm sorry if this has been answered in other threads but I couldn't seem to find what I was looking for. Lastly, how late can you register without it being closed? I would hate to make my plans before I'm sure I can do this. The whole thing intimidates me a bit. Thanks for any info.
You most certainly are NOT fooling yourself, or anyone else - you can totally do it! If it takes away some stress, know that though rD says you must maintain a 16:00/mile pace, I've never seen them actually enforce that in the 5K fun runs. So long as you're moving forward and not in need of medical, you should be fine! That said, I think you'll be surprised to see how much your pace improves with following a plan of attack. As for registration, do not delay: races are selling FAST these days and you don't want to be left out!

Sounds like you and I are in a similar place! I keep toying with the idea of the 2016 full, too, and I'm still very undecided - and yeah, the training is the biggest hurdle in my mind. I know I can finish 26.2, but do I want to? Do I want to take that much training time away from an already hectic life? IDK yet. I have a feeling this will be a registration day decision... :surfweb:

I'll probably decide in the next few weeks just so I can get the decision done and commit to whatever I decide. I've said I know I could do it and would get myself where I needed to be to complete it but do I want to? It's definitely a mind thing for me right now. But the lure of finally having a Disney medal that says marathon on it... sooo tempting.

I also figure I should bounce the idea off some people in my life before I say yeah ok I'll do this.

Am I fooling myself that a 50yo, overweight who only walks can stay the course and maybe do the 5k next winter?

So I went from being 120lbs to 180lbs in about two years, (should also mention I'm only 5'2") and then went whooooa this is getting out of control. Heard about the original Tower of Terror race that was years ago and just signed up, I believe the first year it was something like 8 miles. I thought it would be good incentive to get my life back in control. By the time the race rolled around I think I'd lost about ten pounds so I was still a big girl. I ran a tiny bit but mostly walked. It was a great experience. That was many years ago and I continued to lose weight, ran that race for the next couple of years and ran lots of others. I've now run half marathons at both Disney World and Disneyland. I'm considering doing my first full marathon there because it's so friendly to newbies in every distance.

Let me say when I signed up I thought there was no way I'd be able to run it. I now run 5ks regularly, a half marathon every year, numerous obstacle course races and now do crossfit. You'll be surprised what happens when you just do it.

I use Runkeeper, too, for data storage, but I use iSmoothRun as my real-time running app. I like the expanded options on it and the voice is quick and to the point: "Run!" when it's time to run, "Walk" when it's time to walk - none of that long, drawn out spiel from Runkeeper lol! iSmooth also logs shoe mileage, which I LOVE, can be pre-set for nutrition reminders, and works seamlessly with music. :thumbsup2

Thanks for the recommendation! I'll give iSmoothRun a go.

Thank you so much for all of the positive feed back. I will be 51 on Saturday. I went to my DR for my 3 month check up, today. I'm a diabetic. Manageable but a diabetic none the less. I started the couch to 5k app. today. I felt great afterwards! I haven't told anyone my plans... Husband, Dr etc. I'm hoping by the end of April I will be in a position to sign up for the 5k and tell my husband we are headed to WDW in Jan. Being from NY we hate traveling that time of year but it's worth the worry for me.

Thank you so much for all of the positive feed back. I will be 51 on Saturday. I went to my DR for my 3 month check up, today. I'm a diabetic. Manageable but a diabetic none the less. I started the couch to 5k app. today. I felt great afterwards! I haven't told anyone my plans... Husband, Dr etc. I'm hoping by the end of April I will be in a position to sign up for the 5k and tell my husband we are headed to WDW in Jan. Being from NY we hate traveling that time of year but it's worth the worry for me.

Well from on diabetic to another, its actually a good thing that you are going to do this, I probably don't need to tell you but exercise is a huge component in managing your diabetes I have seen my A1C steadily drop since I started running and my doc has been able to cut my meds back as well in fact if I was better about the diet portion (I have a horrible snack food problem lol) I could probably get off meds all together. Your doc would probably be pleased to hear about you running, keep it up and good luck to you!!!

Well from on diabetic to another, its actually a good thing that you are going to do this, I probably don't need to tell you but exercise is a huge component in managing your diabetes I have seen my A1C steadily drop since I started running and my doc has been able to cut my meds back as well in fact if I was better about the diet portion (I have a horrible snack food problem lol) I could probably get off meds all together. Your doc would probably be pleased to hear about you running, keep it up and good luck to you!!!

Doesn't it suck that we diabetics know the good and bad of the disease. I know what I can do to be brilliant. I told Dr today that when I'm in Disney I'm not a diabetic... he laughed. My A1C is good but I would rather be off meds... like all of us. I hope with the exercise I will eventually be off meds. I was so tempted to tell my husband my plans. I hope, by the end of April I can tell him the great news. I was a runner in high school... that was a VERY long time ago lol.

POP, I'm also 5'2 and 65lbs overweight.Your incentive is awesome!

Anna- You'll find running will help with all aspects of your health! High cholesterol runs in my family and my entire life mine has been higher then my siblings even during a time in our lives when we all ate and exercised pretty much the same. It shot up when I got heavy but my doctor says since I've really started running again it's stayed in a range where I'm not at as high a risk. (We still have to monitor it but not as closely!)

I haven't told anyone I'm considering running the full. I like to give myself time to get confident before I tell anyone. I find no matter what race I do there are always people who say you're doing what? Even if its my millionth 5k. So start with those people you know will support you and tell them why you want to do it. No one should question anyone wanting to be healthy.

Hi all! Seeing all of the encouraging comments here, I wanted to add my plans.
My sister and I are hoping to do the 5K & 10K, and we're hoping our cousin will join us for the 5K.

We did the Princess Weekend 5K in February and it was great! I wasn't impressed by the lack of merchandise or the characters on the course (although characters could have been affected by the weather), but we really enjoyed the experience and my sister said she wanted to move on to a 10K next.

I just started running in July and really wasn't sure if I would be able to run the whole 5K (I knew I could walk it), but I did it and I'm working on upping my distance now. My sister walked the 5K and is hoping to start running soon (she wants to actually run the next race!)

Hi all! Seeing all of the encouraging comments here, I wanted to add my plans.
My sister and I are hoping to do the 5K & 10K, and we're hoping our cousin will join us for the 5K.

We did the Princess Weekend 5K in February and it was great! I wasn't impressed by the lack of merchandise or the characters on the course (although characters could have been affected by the weather), but we really enjoyed the experience and my sister said she wanted to move on to a 10K next.

I just started running in July and really wasn't sure if I would be able to run the whole 5K (I knew I could walk it), but I did it and I'm working on upping my distance now. My sister walked the 5K and is hoping to start running soon (she wants to actually run the next race!)

welcome to this crazy club lol

so question for my fellow marathon peeps out there, am I crazy to not want to stop for the characters? my reasoning is two fold number 1 is this being my first full I really want to challenge myself to run the whole thing (no disrespect to you run/walkers out there) and number 2 goes along with that is if I do stop I might not start again lol, I imagine ill be back for a goofy or maybe even a dopey in the future and can enjoy the characters and stuff then but for this first one I want to enjoy the run part of RUNdisney am I nuts?

I'm with you! I've already decided there will be no stops for me, and I'm even debating going so far as to forego a "costume" in favor of just the running gear I need.

I'm with you! I've already decided there will be no stops for me, and I'm even debating going so far as to forego a "costume" in favor of just the running gear I need.

ill be wearing a "sort of" costume....im gonna go as mike wazowski so it will be a lime green tech t with an eyeball on it and lime green running shorts with an MU hat. I figure that way ill still be comfy while getting in the Disney spirit

ill be wearing a "sort of" costume....im gonna go as mike wazowski so it will be a lime green tech t with an eyeball on it and lime green running shorts with an MU hat. I figure that way ill still be comfy while getting in the Disney spirit

Nice! Maybe I'll repurpose the Mouseketeer outfit I'm working on for DLH, just sans ears.

so question for my fellow marathon peeps out there, am I crazy to not want to stop for the characters? my reasoning is two fold number 1 is this being my first full I really want to challenge myself to run the whole thing (no disrespect to you run/walkers out there) and number 2 goes along with that is if I do stop I might not start again lol, I imagine ill be back for a goofy or maybe even a dopey in the future and can enjoy the characters and stuff then but for this first one I want to enjoy the run part of RUNdisney am I nuts?

I noticed on my 5K race that plenty of people didn't stop for characters ... just running through empty parks is experience enough!
I did also hear people saying that they stopped for characters at the 5K, but not the longer races, because the longer races they just wanted to keep the momentum going. I can't imagine running a marathon and stopping for characters - I may not be a marathon runner, but as a new RunDisney veteran, I say you can definitely go for it and not stop!

I noticed on my 5K race that plenty of people didn't stop for characters ... just running through empty parks is experience enough!
I did also hear people saying that they stopped for characters at the 5K, but not the longer races, because the longer races they just wanted to keep the momentum going. I can't imagine running a marathon and stopping for characters - I may not be a marathon runner, but as a new RunDisney veteran, I say you can definitely go for it and not stop!

yeah that's part of it as well the DW and I will be running the 5k together that weekend and will most certainly stop for characters during that one so I guess I shouldn't feel to bad about not wanting to stop during the marathon :D

I don't do costumes, but I love the character stops. I wouldn't do rD events without them. Absolutely love the photo stops.

The WDW website only let's me search room availability through 12/31/15. Does anyone know if you can book rooms for the marathon weekend now or if you have to wait for a certain date? We still have not decided 100% our length of trip and which resort but we are close to deciding.

The WDW website only let's me search room availability through 12/31/15. Does anyone know if you can book rooms for the marathon weekend now or if you have to wait for a certain date? We still have not decided 100% our length of trip and which resort but we are close to deciding.

according to my DW (the expert on these matters) the earliest you can actually book is 199 days out from your date

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter