• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Making Good on a Very Merry Promise! COMPLETE!

WOW what a holiday you had! I loved reading about your planning -- it is like a full time job isn't it?

I noticed you pop into the Official thread and followed your link here. I sure am glad I did that. You have provided me with 3 "bedtime" stories. Yuppers -- I read the entire thing straight thru in just 3 sittings.

Your kids are beautiful and I love how you made them come alive thru your words! I have a daughter who treated our trip to Disney the same way yours did at the same age -- lots of nose turning and shrugging and foot stomping if we wanted her to do things she thought were too YOUNG. Now, however, 12 years later she talks about how wonderful everything was (girls)

I just read your report from start to finish and loved it all.:thumbsup2 I am glad to hear that you liked the resort-we have been looking for other options.As much as I love staying onsite it is expensive for my family.

Love the hoodie!:goodvibes

Hey Amy:yay:

You picked a good report to read

WOW what a holiday you had! I loved reading about your planning -- it is like a full time job isn't it?

I noticed you pop into the Official thread and followed your link here. I sure am glad I did that. You have provided me with 3 "bedtime" stories. Yuppers -- I read the entire thing straight thru in just 3 sittings.

Your kids are beautiful and I love how you made them come alive thru your words! I have a daughter who treated our trip to Disney the same way yours did at the same age -- lots of nose turning and shrugging and foot stomping if we wanted her to do things she thought were too YOUNG. Now, however, 12 years later she talks about how wonderful everything was (girls)

:yay: :yay: :yay:

Aww, thanks for waiting for me! I can't believe I'm such a slacker!:confused3

I'm a snake, too. I noticed last week when I went out for Chinese. One of the many things I'm not supposed to eat. :sad:

I'm glad you got a good spot for Illuminations and that you all liked it. That's a great way to end your vacation.:grouphug:

I'm sad its over. You need to go again. Start that pretrippie!!;)

Love your hoodie, btw!:goodvibes

Well... since you are one that encouraged me to write this I thought it only appropriate to wait for you to get a free minute before I finished!

Illumminations was the perfect way to end our trip... I think we will do that again.

A PTR??? Already? Only Sharky can pull that off! :laughing:

Although I don't want your TR to be over, I am ready to hear some more...popcorn::

I know, I know... I should wrap it up. It just makes me a little sad. :sad1:

I just read your report from start to finish and loved it all.:thumbsup2 I am glad to hear that you liked the resort-we have been looking for other options.As much as I love staying onsite it is expensive for my family.

Love the hoodie!:goodvibes

Wow! The only thing! :worship: Thank you so much for reading.

And thanks for the compliment on the hoodie! :goodvibes

You read the whole thing too? :worship: Thank you so much.

Yes... I have popped onto the Official Thread... I was stalking Sharky! :laughing:

And I cannot tell you how much it means to me that your daughter grew out of this "phase"~ and with appreciation no less! :lovestruc

Hey Amy:yay:

You picked a good report to read

Aw, Sharky... you just made me teary-eyed. :sad1: :hug:

:sad1: FINAL UPDATE HERE!!! :sad1:

Friday, Nov. 30 ~ Time to head out.

We awoke to a very foggy morning! :scared1: See~

IMG_1127.jpg

IMG_1126.jpg

We had a long drive ahead of us and knew we should get started really early but we didn’t. I think we were on the road by at 9:00. Kind of late for a 10 hour drive!

The drive home was very uneventful. I slept a lot because I had increased the dose of one of the medications I was taking for my ankle and sleepiness is a side effect. Luckily Tom was fine doing most of the driving. It was a long day but a safe day. I think we finally pulled into our driveway somewhere between 10 and 11:00 pm. We hauled some stuff inside and left the rest for the morning. It wasn’t long before we all fell, exhausted, into our own beds. :cloud9:

Reflecting on our trip~

I thought I might list what we spent on what. The main reason people consider staying off site is to save money. It is the only reason for us!

Accomodations:
Lake Buena Vista Resort and Spa Village ~
3 bedroom / 2 bath condo with full kitchen and W/D for 7 nights @ $159/nt.
Grand total (w/taxes plus an adj. they gave us for the wireless not working): $1202.13

WDW tickets~[/B]
3~ 5 day no hopper passes for ages 10+ : $658.17
2~ 5 day no hopper passes for ages 3-9 : $359.98
Grand total: $1021.15

MVMCP tickets~
3~ ages 10+ : $130.86
2~ ages 3-9: $72.32
Grand total: $203.18

Sea World tickets~
One day passes for 5 with a huge discount ~ $125.00 total

Food~
CS @ Disney: $162.92
TS @ Disney (Sci-fi, Rainforest Café and Garden Grill):$374.67
Snacks @ Disney: $67.61
CS elsewhere: $26.68
TS elsewhere: $128.28
Grand Total $760.16

I don’t have totals for gas, food on travel days or grocery items. I also didn’t include souvies because that is so relative to each family. Each of our kids had some money of their own that they spent most of and we also bought them things. I figure everyone has their own way of handling this aspect of the trip.

We spent roughly $3500 dollars on this trip for 5 people plus the addition of my mom for one day.

What I for sure know we saved money on:

Drinks: We took small water bottles into the parks with us with kool-aid packets. I am sure we saved a small fortune by not purchasing drinks for the most part.

SW tix: This was just a fluke deal that I got… my advice is to keep your eye on the SW threads on the Uni board as that is where I found it.

Driving: Airline tix for the 5 of us would have been around $1000. :eek: The mileage between our home and Disney is roughly 623 miles. I don’t know what the gas prices were at the time but we came no where near spending a grand on gas! My advice if you are considering driving to save money is to do the math. How many miles is it? Do you have to stop half way? Compare that with the cost of airline tix. Maybe you live somewhere that you can get a good price to get to MCO. (Not the case from here! :rolleyes: )

The condo: If we were to choose similar accommodations on site, let’s say SSR, it would’ve cost roughly $5,000. That is a $3800 difference.
I priced every other option imaginable on site too~ 2 value rooms, family suite at All Star Music, POR, and all of the deluxe hotels. I could’ve gotten close with the 2 values or POR to the $159/nt at LBV but in the end we chose the extra space and bigger beds.

And the last thing I saved money on: redneck pictures of souvies! :rotfl2:

In the end… would we do it this way again? Absolutely IF it were for the same time or another non-peak time. We wouldn’t do it if it were peak time because you just can’t guarantee the parks won’t fill up to capacity and I wouldn’t want to spend precious time commuting!

All in all, it worked for this family this time.

:cheer2: AND NOW FOR MY BIG ANNOUNCEMENT!!!:cheer2:

We have decided that our next Disney vacation will be very different!

DRUM ROLL PLEASE!

We have booked a land/sea trip for Nov. 12-19, 2009. We will spend 3 nights at the Poly and then 4 nights aboard the Wonder!

:yay: :woohoo: :banana: :cool1: :banana: :woohoo: :yay:

I know… a long time to wait! There are a couple of reasons for that. 1. We are buying a new home this year. And 2. This will allow us to celebrate Abby’s 13th birthday on our trip! :lovestruc

Why book now? Well, the sooner you book the less you pay. Plus this will allow us to completely pay the trip off before we go!

We are using Dream’s Unlimited and so far I am very happy with their service. The price was the same that DCL gave us but DU is offering a $200 shipboard credit if you book before the end of Feb. for 2009 cruises. They ask for a deposit of $200 per person. This is where we hesitated. Ugh… $1000 to put down for something so far away? Well, Kimmy, suggested we book it for just Tom and myself and add the kids later! Brilliant!!!! So I asked my agent at DU and she said we could do that. That lowered our deposit to a much more manageable $400. She did note to not wait too long to add the kids because the kids clubs and total ship capacity could fill up.

I want to thank you all so much for reading and taking this journey with me. All of your advice during the PTR really helped me make this trip extra special. Sticking with me while I relived it meant a lot to me and made it all the more fun! So whether you have been here since the beginning or have found me somewhere along the way… I appreciate every word of encouragement and understanding and each and every compliment you have given me.

A big special thanks to UNCLE JOHN! I mean really, it wouldn’t have been the same without you!

:grouphug: :hug: :grouphug: :hug: :grouphug:

:sad1: :sad1: :sad1:

Great TR, I had a great time reading about your FANTASTIC trip. I'm so glad you did this.

I had no idea you were only 10 hours away! MAN, I need to move.....
I just priced driving to FLA vs flying and for 2 of us it is actually a WHOLE lot cheaper to fly.

I will hope that you will start a PTR for the cruise.

Thanks for the shout out:hug:

As always if you need any help at all for the cruise planning, I'm your girl.
BTW, the cruise boards are EXCELLENT, check them out. People ask such good questions and the information is always great.

Shout out to Uncle John! You're right, would not have been the same without him!

I just wanted to say that I really enjoyed your trip report. Your family is beautiful... Is it to early to start a pre-trippie...lol

aww it's over :sad2: But glad to see you booked a cruise for 2009! :woohoo: That will be SO fun!! I'm hoping to do a cruise in '09 as well. Thinking of maybe doing the land and sea deal for our anniversary.

anyways, I really had fun reading about your trip and I can't wait to read the pre-tr for your land and sea adventure! :thumbsup2 :thumbsup2

Have fun! Glad to hear you planned another trip. I enjoyed reading your TR.

:sad: Wah! It's over ! :sad: I loved hearing and seeing all about your trip. You must do one for your next trip. I am so excited for you!

I'm sooo sad it's over! :sad1: I am glad I found your TR, your PTR is what brought me out of lurkdom and got me writing my own. I loved yours and can't wait for you to start a new one. :rolleyes1

Congrats on the new trip! :banana: We have been looking too but I haven't found a good price yet!

Excellent job and beautiful family! :lovestruc

:sad1: :sad1: :sad1:

Great TR, I had a great time reading about your FANTASTIC trip. I'm so glad you did this.

Thanks Kimmy! :hug:

I had no idea you were only 10 hours away! MAN, I need to move.....
I just priced driving to FLA vs flying and for 2 of us it is actually a WHOLE lot cheaper to fly.

For two... yes it probably would always be cheaper to fly. For 5? Another, more tragic, story! :sad2:

I will hope that you will start a PTR for the cruise.

Maybe in a couple months... or a year! :lmao:

Thanks for the shout out:hug:

You are the bestest!

As always if you need any help at all for the cruise planning, I'm your girl.
BTW, the cruise boards are EXCELLENT, check them out. People ask such good questions and the information is always great.

I just know I am going to be driving you nuts with questions! You will start hiding from me! :laughing:

Shout out to Uncle John! You're right, would not have been the same without him!

Such a hoot, he is!

I just wanted to say that I really enjoyed your trip report. Your family is beautiful... Is it to early to start a pre-trippie...lol

Thank you so much. I'm glad you enjoyed it! :goodvibes

I think it is a wee bit early for a PTR... but I will most likely do one eventually. I'm still trying to decide if it's too early for a ticker ~ I think people will laugh at me! :rolleyes:

aww it's over :sad2: But glad to see you booked a cruise for 2009! :woohoo: That will be SO fun!! I'm hoping to do a cruise in '09 as well. Thinking of maybe doing the land and sea deal for our anniversary.

anyways, I really had fun reading about your trip and I can't wait to read the pre-tr for your land and sea adventure! :thumbsup2 :thumbsup2

I'm sad it's over too Carla! At least we have other places to hang out and visit though! :hug:

When you go to price your cruise, try pricing it separately... you might get a better deal that way. For us that wasn't the case ~ because there are 5 or us. But for smaller groups I think it can be cheaper that way.

Have fun! Glad to hear you planned another trip. I enjoyed reading your TR.

Thanks for reading along Hedy! I'm so glad you enjoyed it. :goodvibes

:sad: Wah! It's over ! :sad: I loved hearing and seeing all about your trip. You must do one for your next trip. I am so excited for you!

Aw, don't cry Orangie... we still have your's to relive! :hug:

Great report, you are going to have so much fun on you cruise!

Thanks for reading along Leesa! :goodvibes
The cruise should be a lot of fun!

I'm sooo sad it's over! :sad1: I am glad I found your TR, your PTR is what brought me out of lurkdom and got me writing my own. I loved yours and can't wait for you to start a new one. :rolleyes1

Congrats on the new trip! :banana: We have been looking too but I haven't found a good price yet!

Excellent job and beautiful family! :lovestruc

Laura, I am so glad I was able to lure you out in the open! :hug: It's been so great getting to know you!

Like Kimmy told me, the only real way to save on a cruise is to book as far in advance as possible. You can get prices for all the way to the end of 2009 with DCL at this point. Would you take your mom? If so, you might be able to save by booking two smaller cabins instead of the family suite. Just a thought. :goodvibes

Nicole, let me just say how nice it is to have gotten to know you and your beautiful family through your trip! :hug: I hope to still "see" you on mine, and I'm hoping to drag it out for as long as I can. ;) Problem with that is I'm starting to forget things towards the end of the trip, so I feel like I need to post them before they are permanently deleted from my brain. :sad2:

I'm so excited about your cruise plans! :banana: :banana: Did you book the Family Suite type thing or go with two rooms? What was the price difference, or did you check that? Just curious as another family of five that might be wanting to plan waaayyy in advance! :rolleyes1

Sara

I'm sad it's over too Carla! At least we have other places to hang out and visit though! :hug:

When you go to price your cruise, try pricing it separately... you might get a better deal that way. For us that wasn't the case ~ because there are 5 or us. But for smaller groups I think it can be cheaper that way.

that's true.

Thanks for the tip. :thumbsup2 Any way I can save money works for me!

Great report, I'm sorry it's over :goodvibes I will certainly keep an eye out for your PTR and let me know if you're ever over on my side of the state :flower3:

Nicole, let me just say how nice it is to have gotten to know you and your beautiful family through your trip! :hug: I hope to still "see" you on mine, and I'm hoping to drag it out for as long as I can. ;) Problem with that is I'm starting to forget things towards the end of the trip, so I feel like I need to post them before they are permanently deleted from my brain. :sad2:

I'm so excited about your cruise plans! :banana: :banana: Did you book the Family Suite type thing or go with two rooms? What was the price difference, or did you check that? Just curious as another family of five that might be wanting to plan waaayyy in advance! :rolleyes1

Sara

Right back atcha Sara! And you cannot shake me that easily ~ I will still be reading your trippie! And I agree with you on the forgetting of the details! :sad2: Although I do want you to drag your's out as long as you can! ;)

I've been itching to get on one of those cruises since they dropped the boats in the water! Kimmy's TR was just what I needed to DO IT! We booked the family suite with a veranda. You have to have an adult in each cabin... I don't believe they have any adjoining rooms... but I could be wrong. We got our's for $5477.40 which includes insurance but no airfare or transfers. Some weeks of the year this same cruise goes for over twice as much!

Great report, I'm sorry it's over :goodvibes I will certainly keep an eye out for your PTR and let me know if you're ever over on my side of the state :flower3:

Thanks Chelle! I'm glad you found me! :goodvibes I'll let you know if we do get over your way... you do the same.

Do you think Nebo is ever coming back? :confused3

Right back atcha Sara! And you cannot shake me that easily ~ I will still be reading your trippie! And I agree with you on the forgetting of the details! :sad2: Although I do want you to drag your's out as long as you can! ;)

I've been itching to get on one of those cruises since they dropped the boats in the water! Kimmy's TR was just what I needed to DO IT! We booked the family suite with a veranda. You have to have an adult in each cabin... I don't believe they have any adjoining rooms... but I could be wrong. We got our's for $5477.40 which includes insurance but no airfare or transfers. Some weeks of the year this same cruise goes for over twice as much!

Thanks Nicole! I might price two cabins and see... maybe I can convince the grandparents (my mom and step-dad) to come along and then I can drop a kid in their room! :rolleyes1 1 cabin for 4, 1 cabin for 3, divided by 7.. might be a little less! Oooo, and I meant to mention... the Poly! How nice will that part be, too? Jealous! Jealous! :worship: :worship:

Sara

Thanks Nicole! I might price two cabins and see... maybe I can convince the grandparents (my mom and step-dad) to come along and then I can drop a kid in their room! :rolleyes1 1 cabin for 4, 1 cabin for 3, divided by 7.. might be a little less! Oooo, and I meant to mention... the Poly! How nice will that part be, too? Jealous! Jealous! :worship: :worship:

Sara

I should tell you that the resorts they offer you for your on-land portion coordinate with the cabin level you get on the ship. We could choose from 5: Poly, AKL, BC and I can't for the life of me remember the other 2! It was hard for me to choose between the Poly and AKL... but in the end the monorail sealed the deal!

Well... since you are one that encouraged me to write this I thought it only appropriate to wait for you to get a free minute before I finished!

Illumminations was the perfect way to end our trip... I think we will do that again.

A PTR??? Already? Only Sharky can pull that off! :laughing:

I know, I know... I should wrap it up. It just makes me a little sad. :sad1:

Wow! The only thing! :worship: Thank you so much for reading.

And thanks for the compliment on the hoodie! :goodvibes

You read the whole thing too? :worship: Thank you so much.

Yes... I have popped onto the Official Thread... I was stalking Sharky! :laughing:

And I cannot tell you how much it means to me that your daughter grew out of this "phase"~ and with appreciation no less! :lovestruc

Aw, Sharky... you just made me teary-eyed. :sad1: :hug:

You can do your pre trip on mine for now if you like:rotfl2:

:hug:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter