• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Magical Express Ending Service

The bus ride was definitely nice but my favorite part of DME was the baggage service. So great not having to wait for our luggage after the long flights getting there!

That, and the Resort Airline CheckIn! (Which I know is a separate company/service, but was instituted in line with the ME service.)

If this is any indication, they're moving toward the Disneyland way of doing things. Wouldn't surprise me if we see their version of same-day FastPass and MaxPass announced next.
Guys... seriously maxpass is amazing. It’s nuts to book a fast pass months in advance. So much better to open your app and see what current times are and book it. I’m a DL gal though.

Guys... seriously maxpass is amazing. It’s nuts to book a fast pass months in advance. So much better to open your app and see what current times are and book it. I’m a DL gal though.
DL was more of a show up and have a good time type park. WdW you needed to plan months in advance. I can see folks being a bit pissed after making park reservations + adrs than to get on a ride you need to purchase a max pass(yes there is standard line). People were already pissed about fast pass thinking it cost money when it didnt.. idk if they will do that but who knows.

Agree Maxpass is great in DL but would not work nearly as well in WDW without significant modification

Agree Maxpass is great in DL but would not work nearly as well in WDW without significant modification
Agreed. Loved using MaxPass at DL where most people were not using it (probably because most were local AP holders who wouldn't want to add the expense at every visit), but at WDW, where most visitors are not day-tripping locals, everyone would shell out for MaxPass & therefore dilute the benefit.

Seems like it would work if they limited to the park you’re in maybe? Idk. I just can’t fathom having to think about what you want to ride on what day 180 or 60 or whatever it days in advance. 🤪 No fastpass+ was actually one of the reasons why we decided to come to WDW now.

DL was more of a show up and have a good time type park. WdW you needed to plan months in advance. I can see folks being a bit pissed after making park reservations + adrs than to get on a ride you need to purchase a max pass(yes there is standard line). People were already pissed about fast pass thinking it cost money when it didnt.. idk if they will do that but who knows.
It pissed off quite a lot of people in DL too but they could still hoof it across the park for a paper fast pass or wait standby so it was to my advantage. 🤣 maybe that’s why I love it! I am just not a super preplanner. Stresses me out. I can plan a reservation or two but to plan what park on what day and what rides and every dining reservation is a lot for me. 😬😬😬. I get what you’re saying though. It just seems like with WDW pushing the app over magic bands (charging now) etc that that are heading in that direction. And they could make money, they need to recoup where they can I guess.

I am just not a super preplanner. Stresses me out. I can plan a reservation or two but to plan what park on what day and what rides and every dining reservation is a lot for me. 😬😬😬.
100%! We just moved our canceled Sept 2020 DLR trip to Jan 2022 WDW and I'm freaking out about the planning. (although I do wish DLR would have magic bands)

100%! We just moved our canceled Sept 2020 DLR trip to Jan 2022 WDW and I'm freaking out about the planning. (although I do wish DLR would have magic bands)
Yes! My phone battery is always dying. Lol. Have to carry portable charger at DL.

Actually it would work just as well, if not better due to the number of attractions that have FP queues. Make the free version only available for kiosks around the parks and the paid version allows you to book from your phone and includes photopass.

I’m thinking it should end after my most recent experience.

I thought the arrival was bad checking in at 9pm and not arriving at the resort until after 12:30am.

But the ride to the airport is just pathetic.

Our route so far has been Bay Lake to Poly to Grand Floridian to Poly to a u-turn half way to the airport to the Wilderness Lodge where we arrived to sit behind another Black Magic Bus which was already there.

I’m thinking it should end after my most recent experience.

I thought the arrival was bad checking in at 9pm and not arriving at the resort until after 12:30am.

But the ride to the airport is just pathetic.

Our route so far has been Bay Lake to Poly to Grand Floridian to Poly to a u-turn half way to the airport to the Wilderness Lodge where we arrived to sit behind another Black Magic Bus which was already there.
JMO but your experience is probably the result of the service winding down. DME is no longer being promoted as a big perk. Early days of DME it was promoted as a big benefit. Buses were dispatched withing 15-20 minutes, even if they were half full. Now the motivation is to keep costs down by doing whatever is necessary to keep buses as full as possible.

I don’t say this a lot, but you need to get over yourself and quit attacking people. Unfortunately, not everyone is going to be happy with everything people say. But you are trying to be a bully. I was bringing up an observation that I saw at Disney parks over sees and their transportation and strollers/wheelchairs on that transportation. So now you are from the UK, just stop.

in other note if Disney continued, DCL (via Mears) charges are a little high from both ways. But people still choose the pay for the convenience, may Disney still may perform that type of transportation
Who am I attacking merely pointing out. You are being insensitive with your comments like if people can't pay for transfers they don't deserve to go, who are you to say who deserves what , it's you who needs to stop.

Thanks, ThistleMae, for the email address.
I will send WDW an email today.
I hope all the others on this 27 page thread do the same. It might not do any good, but it can't hurt!

I just wanted to update that I got a response in about a week from WDW. It was a long email and touched all the points I made. The bottom line is that they are changing along with technology. They say the same thing abouty ME, that is, there are so many options available now, etc, etc.
It was a nicely written response. He did say they take all feedback seriously, so there's that.
Even though nothing has changed (and I didn't expect that), it was nice to be acknowledged and hopefully if they get many more emails it will make them think about the changes more. One can be hopeful.:)

I think it's great that folks are sending emails, but I think the only thing that will motivate the top decision-makers is to see them losing bookings to their primary competitor in Orlando, UO. Which, in the case of my family, they are. I can stay at a deluxe resort there with free Express Pass for the same price as a moderate at WDW. Yes, I have to either pay for the UO shuttle or my own ride share anyway, but I'm paying a lot less for the hotel, and my Express Pass will be good on every ride except for Hagrid's and the new Velocicoaster. That means UO is getting all of our vacation money this year, including what will probably be an ungodly amount spent on HP wands and other souvenirs.

WDW wants to keep charging a premium price while they continue to cheapen the experience. If I want to splash out and spend more than $400 a night on a room with proximity to WDW in the future, why wouldn't I book the Four Seasons or Waldorf Astoria instead? And once I start doing that, and get accustomed to that level of luxury service, am I really going to want to go back to say, the Contemporary? I don't think so.

The top executives might think they are only alienating middle class or budget-conscious guests with this move, but they're actually not being terribly savvy when it comes to retaining guests with deeper pockets. Just because I CAN afford to rent a car or Uber, that doesn't mean I want to, especially when I'm traveling alone with my two small children. By taking away the thing that made staying at a WDW resort seamless, they left me free to suddenly consider all the other options in my price range, and they are all looking far more attractive. We've been to WDW 4 times in the past 6 years, and never left the bubble once. Strategically, this is not a good move, and whoever made this call is either dumb or desperate. Maybe both.

I think it's great that folks are sending emails, but I think the only thing that will motivate the top decision-makers is to see them losing bookings to their primary competitor in Orlando, UO. Which, in the case of my family, they are. I can stay at a deluxe resort there with free Express Pass for the same price as a moderate at WDW. Yes, I have to either pay for the UO shuttle or my own ride share anyway, but I'm paying a lot less for the hotel, and my Express Pass will be good on every ride except for Hagrid's and the new Velocicoaster. That means UO is getting all of our vacation money this year, including what will probably be an ungodly amount spent on HP wands and other souvenirs.

WDW wants to keep charging a premium price while they continue to cheapen the experience. If I want to splash out and spend more than $400 a night on a room with proximity to WDW in the future, why wouldn't I book the Four Seasons or Waldorf Astoria instead? And once I start doing that, and get accustomed to that level of luxury service, am I really going to want to go back to say, the Contemporary? I don't think so.

The top executives might think they are only alienating middle class or budget-conscious guests with this move, but they're actually not being terribly savvy when it comes to retaining guests with deeper pockets. Just because I CAN afford to rent a car or Uber, that doesn't mean I want to, especially when I'm traveling alone with my two small children. By taking away the thing that made staying at a WDW resort seamless, they left me free to suddenly consider all the other options in my price range, and they are all looking far more attractive. We've been to WDW 4 times in the past 6 years, and never left the bubble once. Strategically, this is not a good move, and whoever made this call is either dumb or desperate. Maybe both.
Absolutely. My family has been to WDW 12 times in the last 5 years. That's a lot. We used DME every time and stayed in the bubble each time. It's about convenience rather than budget. We will be driving for the first time in June. That opens up lots of opportunities to go elsewhere and do other things outside the bubble.

The top executives might think they are only alienating middle class or budget-conscious guests with this move, but they're actually not being terribly savvy when it comes to retaining guests with deeper pockets. Just because I CAN afford to rent a car or Uber, that doesn't mean I want to, especially when I'm traveling alone with my two small children. By taking away the thing that made staying at a WDW resort seamless, they left me free to suddenly consider all the other options in my price range, and they are all looking far more attractive.
This. I adored the convenience of Magical Express when you got the real deal including luggage handling. That was awesome and it definitely kept me from going to places like Waldorf Astoria or Four Seasons for a while, because they don't offer the same level of transportation convenience.

Well, when WDW reopened in July, we stayed at Four Seasons Orlando and loved it. It's still in the bubble, really, just a bit past Fort Wilderness with a nice view of the parks & other resorts. And its luxury and service put the Disney deluxes to shame (though it can't match them in charm). Its pool complex is amazing, too, especially its lazy river. If Disney resorts had been firing on all cylinders post-Covid we never would have stayed at Four Seasons, but now it rivals the Disney deluxes for us.

Anyone see where Mears is starting “Mears Connect” Jan 2022 for transportation between airport and area theme parks? Basically, Magical Express at a cost. But for us, better than trying to rent a car, depending on what price limits they come out with.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter