Magic Band "NEW KIND" -Update: Post #70-

It's been confirmed from the magicbandcollectors.com site that the screws DO touch the skin, so I won't be able to wear the new MagicBands unless the screws are made out of silver... And somehow I don't think that's going to happen! Even stainless steel, which is what most watch/glasses screws are made of, have enough nickle to cause a painful reaction in a pretty short time.

I have two months to figure out what I'm going to do. Since this is my first trip to Disney, this whole thing is kinda bumming me out.

perhaps you could email disney and explain your allergy and issue with the new bands and ask to have an old band sent to you.

Ahh, OK. I was assuming you did have old MBs.

Stay tuned to this thread for actual in-the-field reports about the new versions. Its possible that the screws are positioned or recessed so that they wouldn't contact your skin.

Except I'm allergic to the adhesive on tape and bandaids, and nickel, especially on the underside of my wrist. Bet I could lose a fob pretty easily too!
I'ved emailed Disney about this, and I would suggest that you do too. Maybe if enough people contact them with questions regarding alternatives for people with nickle allergies, they'll come up with something!

I'ved emailed Disney about this, and I would suggest that you do too. Maybe if enough people contact them with questions regarding alternatives for people with nickle allergies, they'll come up with something!

The alternative is using a plastic card. They still have those I believe. Since you don't ever have pockets you could get a card and stick it in a clear pouch that attaches to a lanyard (which is what we did before magicbands were a thing)...or your DH could stick your card in his pocket or wallet. Or he could even wear your magicband like parents often do for their kids.

The alternative is using a plastic card. They still have those I believe. Since you don't ever have pockets you could get a card and stick it in a clear pouch that attaches to a lanyard (which is what we did before magicbands were a thing)...or your DH could stick your card in his pocket or wallet. Or he could even wear your magicband like parents often do for their kids.

Well, that's annoying. Kinda defeats the purpose of Magic Bands being useful, since DH would have to be with me everywhere I go. I would think that with as conscious of allergies as Disney usually is, that they might take action to provide an alternate wearable solution for people who cannot have the metal screws touch their skin, without the people being forced to either have their companion with them at all times or pay additional money out of their pocket for accessories.

Honestly, this whole thing is making me want to cancel my trip.

Well, that's annoying. Kinda defeats the purpose of Magic Bands being useful, since DH would have to be with me everywhere I go. I would think that with as conscious of allergies as Disney usually is, that they might take action to provide an alternate wearable solution for people who cannot have the metal screws touch their skin, without the people being forced to either have their companion with them at all times or pay additional money out of their pocket for accessories.

Your husband could wear it for you and if you decide to go seperate ways for a time put it in your bag or backpack? Not so easily accessible but maybe an option. Could you wrap medical tape around the band itself or put a patch over the screws to cover it, technically it wouldn't be on your skin causing further irritation and sweat.

They do provide an alternative - a card. Saying that Disney should provide an alternative wearable is as silly saying that a guest with a food allergy must be provided with exactly the same food item minus the allergen. Disney does the best they can with food allergies but sometimes instead of a cupcake you get pre-packaged cookies. They'll be happy to make sure someone with allergies doesn't come in contact with their allergen. Instead of a wearable the alternative will be a card. It's not disneys fault you don't want to wear a small bag or clothing with pockets - that's your choice.

Last edited:

Use a CARD (which was the first suggestion I made). Just like we did before magic bands. DH still wears his lanyard, but just puts his credit card and ID in it. Lanyards are cheap at Walmart or the dollar store.

Or cancel your trip if it's that much of a deal breaker for you.

They do provide an alternative - a card. Saying that Disney should provide an alternative wearable is as silly saying that a guest with a food allergy must be provided with exactly the same food item minus the allergen. Disney does the best they can with food allergies but sometimes instead of a cupcake you get pre-packaged cookies. Instead of a wearable the alternative will be a card. It's not disneys fault you don't want to wear a small bag or clothing with pockets - that's your choice.

Use a CARD (which was the first suggestion I made). Just like we did before magic bands. DH still wears his lanyard, but just puts his credit card and ID in it. Lanyards are cheap at Walmart or the dollar store.

Or cancel your trip if it's that much of a deal breaker for you.

So, I shouldn't have the right to the same convenience as you, just because Disney now decided to add screws to a MagicBand? One of the giant pluses to me about Disney was the convenience of not having to carry a separate card. Thank you very much for trivializing the complaints of myself and other allergy sufferers by just telling us that we should deal instead of us just wanting the option of the same convenience as everyone else. I would expect Disney to give a wearable option since they tote that as one of the great things about MagicBands, if they're removing the wearable option for some of their guests by adding screws which will keep people with metal allergies from being able to wear them.

As for the food comparison - to me, this would be more like saying, "Oh, you can't eat through this steak, so eat this bread instead. It's food so it's just as good. But you still have to pay for the cost of the steak." It's not the same thing and even though it will feed us (or get us into the park) it's not a lateral replacement. It's a step down.

Dropping in to remind everyone to remain within posting guidelines when discussing the new MagicBand2s.

The alternatives to the new MB have been presented and discussed and moving forward, argumentative posts will be removed and appropriate Warnings will be assessed. I'd also like to remind posters of the "Ignore" feature that can be found via any DISer's Profile pic/avatar.

So, I shouldn't have the right to the same convenience as you, just because Disney now decided to add screws to a MagicBand? One of the giant pluses to me about Disney was the convenience of not having to carry a separate card. Thank you very much for trivializing the complaints of myself and other allergy sufferers by just telling us that we should deal instead of us just wanting the option of the same convenience as everyone else. I would expect Disney to give a wearable option since they tote that as one of the great things about MagicBands, if they're removing the wearable option for some of their guests by adding screws which will keep people with metal allergies from being able to wear them.

As for the food comparison - to me, this would be more like saying, "Oh, you can't eat through this steak, so eat this bread instead. It's food so it's just as good. But you still have to pay for the cost of the steak." It's not the same thing and even though it will feed us (or get us into the park) it's not a lateral replacement. It's a step down.

Magic band sleeve? (on Etsy $4.50) https://www.etsy.com/listing/189600820/magic-bands-sewing-pattern-comfy-cover?ref=market
MagicBand2013.jpg

il_fullxfull.598903432_qr78.jpg

It's a card instead of a band. It is not a big deal. It's a minor annoyance - something to kvetch about (briefly) here, but not something that should impact your life or vacation in a lasting way. Have a great trip - or don't, whichever you prefer.

The magicbands are complimentary and not compulsory. While they might bake in the cost of the band to the room or package reservation it's probably negligible. I used to have terrible reactions to plastics on my skin so I completely understand where you're coming from. I wore mine for a few hours before vacation started just to be sure I wouldn't have a reaction. If I couldn't wear my band I'd probably strap it onto a belt hook or onto my bag. Luckily over time it's either gone away or the type of plastic isn't as pervasive anymore. People who make things don't think about so many of those who have issues, especially hidden allergies and ailments. I hope an issue can be resolved and the belt clip options are reasonably priced or can work as a small present from a loved one in the future.

The magicbands are complimentary and not compulsory.

I kind of disagree with this statement. If you want all the ride photos and any ride videos you have to have one. You don't have to wear it, but you have to have 1 per ride car that your group fits into to get them. It's a small list of rides but I'm sure all future refurbs will start to remove the video screens instead of maintaining them.

I'm kind of looking over this band now and kicking myself, who has tons of allergies for not asking about what their official allergy statement on these are. Of course they never had an official statement in the past so why would they have one now. but the people at dest D were the perfect ones to say "what about people with plastic and metal allergies" too. It was too late and they were gone when someone finally mentioned it in this thread :(

I kind of disagree with this statement. If you want all the ride photos and any ride videos you have to have one. You don't have to wear it, but you have to have 1 per ride car that your group fits into to get them. It's a small list of rides but I'm sure all future refurbs will start to remove the video screens instead of maintaining them.

You're right, that is a good reason to have one. Plus all the other conveniences for onsite stays. It's still not a total requirement for each person to have one though which can be good or bad. I wouldn't feel too badly about not asking such questions. It's not something people realize can be a problem. I think they will probably continue to make changes and by the time the "first generation" bands are no longer usable for those long range features they have an alternative.

Except I'm allergic to the adhesive on tape and bandaids, and nickel, especially on the underside of my wrist. Bet I could lose a fob pretty easily too!

you could try painting over the screws with clear nail polish, i know that's what some people will do on their belt buckles.

or you could treat yourself to one of the fancy old style ones from the disney store

you could try painting over the screws with clear nail polish, i know that's what some people will do on their belt buckles.

or you could treat yourself to one of the fancy old style ones from the disney store

I have a few old ones that should last a few trips longer before they either get really yucky-looking or stop working. I do the clear nail polish thing a lot, sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. I need to redo my fitbit buckle, now that you mention it ;)

But it seems to me that Disney's new policy is to take a good thing and mess it up, IMO.

As of now, they still have cards available. One just has to ask for it instead. Last week the CM had to ask for assistance how to program it since he was used to the MBs, but it really was not an issue.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!