Lovmy2girls at the Kona Cafe !

lovmy2girls said:
Disney Husband here, It’s a typical chowder (actually not so typical). Like in terms of the Caribbean and or Conch chowder or lobster chowder, kind of a bisque. This one has lobster, fish, shrimp and all manner of other things sacred to the Tiki gods of ole. I would have offered to take the cook home in an attempt to woo him or her into giving me the recipe, but as Disney Wife is reading this thread, I have to be careful I tried to get a recipe in this fashion once before and was threatened with legal action and not from the cook (my wife). Suffice it to say, if you like this sort of food (chowder, bisque) your taste buds are in for a real treat! :banana:

ROFL! Thanks for the description - it sounds delicious! I'll have to be sure and try it in Sept when we head there for dinner.

I really wanted to say THANK YOU ... you have done such a beautiful job with all your reviews - it is truly wonderful. Thanks for taking the time to share with all of us. Your photos are awesome and your family looks great. :goodvibes :thumbsup2 :love:

Thank you!!!!

Great pics!

Kona is my favorite! I currently have four ADR"s for Kona. Breakfast and dinner in August, and lunch and breakfast in November! I can't wait!

Kona Cafe is one of our favorite restaurants for any meal - breakfast, lunch or dinner. I can't wait to go back, especially after reading your review and seeing your fantastic pictures. :goodvibes

From my Cooking with Mickey cookbook
Poly Seafood Chowder(Coral Isle Cafe...I think that was Kona before it became Kona)
This sounds close although no lobster in this one...

2 ounces bay shrimp cooked
2 ounces crabmeat cooked
2 ounces Albacore Tuna cooked
1/4 cup butter
1/2 cup diced carrots
1/4 cup diced celery
1/2 cup diced onion
1/4 green bell pepper diced
1 tsp. chopped garlic
1/2 cup diced potatoes
4 cups clam juice
1/2 cup diced tomato
1 tsp thyme
1tsp basil
1 bay leaf
1 TBS fish bouillon
Tobasco sauce
dash Worcestershire sauce
pepper
2 tsps file powder(what the heck is that? :confused3 )

In soup pot saute carrot, celery,onions, bell pepper and garlic in butter until tender. Add clam juice and bring to boil. Add potatoes,tomatoes and spices and simmer 15 minutes. Stir in fish bouillon and season with tabasco, worcestershire and pepper. Add the file. Stir well and add cooked seafood.

Awesome pictures and review!!! We will have to put this on our to do list! Which do you prefer, breakfast or dinner? (If you could only pick 1! :goodvibes ) Thanks for taking the time to share!!!!

Now I can't wait to try this one out! DSis Il and I are taking DGD in August and we have this little gem scheduled for dinner. I'm hungry just goig over the review.

Lovmy2girls,
Thank you for your amazing reviews!! Your posts are fantastic. The photos are so helpful for planning ADRs. I feel like I got a sneak peak at the restaurants.

lovmy2girls said:
So Sorry, I can't remember what was in the that martini. It was good! I do remember that. Sorry!

No problem, I'll just go with the fact that it was good and try it out. :thumbsup2

Thank you!

Seeing your pictures made us change our ADR from Ohana to Kona Cafe.

My daughter loved the dessert picture!

Do kids get an appetizer?

java said:
From my Cooking with Mickey cookbook
Poly Seafood Chowder(Coral Isle Cafe...I think that was Kona before it became Kona)
This sounds close although no lobster in this one...

2 ounces bay shrimp cooked
2 ounces crabmeat cooked
2 ounces Albacore Tuna cooked
1/4 cup butter
1/2 cup diced carrots
1/4 cup diced celery
1/2 cup diced onion
1/4 green bell pepper diced
1 tsp. chopped garlic
1/2 cup diced potatoes
4 cups clam juice
1/2 cup diced tomato
1 tsp thyme
1tsp basil
1 bay leaf
1 TBS fish bouillon
Tobasco sauce
dash Worcestershire sauce
pepper
2 tsps file powder(what the heck is that? :confused3 )

In soup pot saute carrot, celery,onions, bell pepper and garlic in butter until tender. Add clam juice and bring to boil. Add potatoes,tomatoes and spices and simmer 15 minutes. Stir in fish bouillon and season with tabasco, worcestershire and pepper. Add the file. Stir well and add cooked seafood.

Thanks for the recipe!!! :goodvibes Wait till I show my hubby this! :banana:

spookyuki said:
Thank you!

Seeing your pictures made us change our ADR from Ohana to Kona Cafe.

My daughter loved the dessert picture!

Do kids get an appetizer?

You know I don't think they have a special section of kids appys, but they could get adult ones. The sticky wings are yummy!

All I can remember is the Kona Chowder, Pot Stickers, Sticky Wings, and Salad in the appy list. :)

Oh, and don't forget the bread comes with the meals. My girls loved it as much as we did. :wave:

momofdbsdc said:
Awesome pictures and review!!! We will have to put this on our to do list! Which do you prefer, breakfast or dinner? (If you could only pick 1! :goodvibes ) Thanks for taking the time to share!!!!

Well, just make it tough why don't ya!!! :teeth: IF I just had to choose one meal, and that is a big IF because we do Kona breakfast on the last day, I would have to say dinner. I can try and duplicate the Tonga toast at home if I had to, and the big Kahuna is good an all but that is sort of normal breakfast fare. But dinner.....wow, nothing comes close here in town to the Kona dinner food, and I don't cook!!! :teeth:

Here's the actual for ya...happy cooking!

Yield: 16 servings

Ingredients:

1 stick Butter

1 Spanish onion, diced small

1/2 cup Carrots, diced small

1/2 cup Celery, diced small

1 oz. Garlic, minced fine

1/3 cup Tomato paste

1/2 cup Sherry

1 Tbsp. Curry paste

4 2/3 cups Water, hot

1 oz. Lobster base

1 1/2 lbs. Fish (any white fish i.e., grouper, mahi, snapper, etc) cut in 1" pieces

1 cup Milk

3 3/4 cups Heavy cream

2/3 cup Flour

3/4 stick Butter

3 cups Salad shrimp (small)

Method:

1. In a large stockpot over medium heat, melt 1 stick butter. Add onion, carrot, celery, and garlic. Saute for 5 minutes.

2. Add tomato paster and cook for 2-3 minutes. Add sherry and cook for 2-3 minutes.

3. Mix in curry paste until well incorporated (use the back of a spoon for spatula until no lumps of curry are left).

4. Add lobster base and hot water.

5. Add fish and gently poach.

6. Turn heat to low, add milk and heavy cream and let come to a simmer.

7. Over low heat, melt remaining butter. Add flour, stir well, and cook for about 5 minutes.

8. Take of the hot liquid from the chowder and mix it in with the butter and flour mixture until well combined.

9. Add this mixture back into the chowder.

10. Add shrimp and cook for approximately 15 minutes or until thickened.

jezebella said:
Here's the actual for ya...happy cooking!

Yield: 16 servings

Ingredients:

1 stick Butter

1 Spanish onion, diced small

1/2 cup Carrots, diced small

1/2 cup Celery, diced small

1 oz. Garlic, minced fine

1/3 cup Tomato paste

1/2 cup Sherry

1 Tbsp. Curry paste

4 2/3 cups Water, hot

1 oz. Lobster base

1 1/2 lbs. Fish (any white fish i.e., grouper, mahi, snapper, etc) cut in 1" pieces

1 cup Milk

3 3/4 cups Heavy cream

2/3 cup Flour

3/4 stick Butter

3 cups Salad shrimp (small)

Method:

1. In a large stockpot over medium heat, melt 1 stick butter. Add onion, carrot, celery, and garlic. Saute for 5 minutes.

2. Add tomato paster and cook for 2-3 minutes. Add sherry and cook for 2-3 minutes.

3. Mix in curry paste until well incorporated (use the back of a spoon for spatula until no lumps of curry are left).

4. Add lobster base and hot water.

5. Add fish and gently poach.

6. Turn heat to low, add milk and heavy cream and let come to a simmer.

7. Over low heat, melt remaining butter. Add flour, stir well, and cook for about 5 minutes.

8. Take of the hot liquid from the chowder and mix it in with the butter and flour mixture until well combined.

9. Add this mixture back into the chowder.

10. Add shrimp and cook for approximately 15 minutes or until thickened.

Ok, Now you have taken away one of my most powerful weapons in getting my hubby to go back to WDW!
No longer can I say "Honey, but you can have Kona Chowder!" :lmao:

But Honestly, THank YOU!!

oooohhh, aaaahhhh

Once again, great reviews. I had the pleasure of dining at Kona on a whim in Feb. (solo) and really felt as if I discovered a hidden gem. The pot stickers were yum. I enjoyed my meal (shrimp and scallops) but wished I had gotten the Mahi-mahi and by your pictures I will next time. Your pasta dish looks very interesting also and of course the chowder--thanks to your hubby for the adoration of it--now I want to try. I was too stuffed for dessert but that torte--ooohhh the torte!!!!

We have adrs for breakfast for our upcoming trip in October ( 14-21--I believe you will be there too--maybe same time?) and I cannot wait for my first taste of Tonga toast. No adrs for dinner though--all nights are accounted for --will have to plan another trip--oh, darn.

thanks again.

Just think of it this way..........YOU have the power...which he doesn't have to know about. Use it to your full advantage and if he doesn't give in to the "but honey you can get kona chowder", just say, but honey, if you take me back to disney, I'll give you kona chowder once a ____ (I'll let you fill in the blank on this one). :thumbsup2

jezebella said:
Just think of it this way..........YOU have the power...which he doesn't have to know about. Use it to your full advantage and if he doesn't give in to the "but honey you can get kona chowder", just say, but honey, if you take me back to disney, I'll give you kona chowder once a ____ (I'll let you fill in the blank on this one). :thumbsup2
:lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

Thanks for sharing your pics! We agree and thought Kona was one of our "best kept secrets"!

SssssHhhhhhhh!

(Hope you know that I am seriously joking!!!!) :rotfl:

Shhhh! :goodvibes

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter