Let's speculate about Polynesian some more!

How likely do you think the Polynesian tower will be part of a new/old association?

• 100% new association

Votes: 113 37.0%
  • 80% new association / 20% current association

Votes: 64 21.0%
  • 60% new association / 40% current association

Votes: 28 9.2%
  • 40% new association / 60% current association

Votes: 17 5.6%
  • 20% new association / 80% current association

Votes: 32 10.5%
  • 0% new association / 100% current association

Votes: 51 16.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
They can't really add too many (or any) more Monorails than they are already running during peak periods on the resort line due to the MAPO system. There are a finite number of "hold points" on the beam, as well as individual "blocks" on the beam between stations on the resort loop, and I believe that they are running the max on that resort beam during peak periods (park opening and closing) already.

Some info:

If you are on a platform and see a train waiting on the beam to enter the station, something has gone sideways, or they are adding or taking a train off the beam. I've only seen them waiting at the TTC, but that's also where the main switches are.
Very enlightening! And since that other article said nobody is manufacturing those trains or the parts any more, things could get very interesting in the next 5-10 years.

Not to mention that you can now cancel a reservation up as late as 2 hours before. So, are guards or CMs now going to need to set a specific time prior to how soon before a reservation one can enter the resort.

And, without changing the whole bus system to check availability, how is that handled?

Also, the express monorail is going to stop at TTC. So, people can get off there and just walk over.

Now, I think that this new tower is going to add more people to the area and maybe for the pools, they will implement a wristband line SAB to prevent the pool hoppers or random guests.

But for drinking and dining, etc? I think it would to tough to put any situation in play that limits visitors to the resort.
All true. But the main reason it will never happen is it's not in Disney's best interest, so the logistics of it are kind of moot anyway :)

I agree they will start policing the pool, and maybe even the beach at fireworks time.

There is no boat from MK to the CR though.. and, to restrict it to resort guests only, they have to have people at every stop…that is going to slow things way down.

I think with this new tower, , you are probably going to see no more share service with GF, and maybe add a larger boat for MK and Epcot bus from the tower to those parks.
I think doing away with the shared bus with GF and possibly leaving some room on the monorail during peak hours will be the easiest fix for now. They will need to do something because this will affect GF as well.

I think doing away with the shared bus with GF and possibly leaving some room on the monorail during peak hours will be the easiest fix for now. They will need to do something because this will affect GF as well.

While it doesn’t look like it, maybe they will find a way to have a dedicated bus to MK from the new tower?

Plenty of guests might decide to do that vs walking over to GCH to go to the monorail?

Even if these buses are for the first hour or two of the day and then again at closing?

Fun Fact: MAPO was the name for an early Imagineering building in Glendale.
https://sites.disney.com/waltdisneyimagineering/our-story/

It might be possible to increase the number of blocks on the monorail resort beam. I'm not sure there is enough idle time in the resort-line stations to support another train though.

For folks who want to know more about blocking: it's quite similar to the way that roller coasters with multiple trains keep from colliding.

Unlike with roller coasters, the monorail beam blocks are not delimited by physical brakes/chain dogs, but instead markers on the beam and sensors on the trains. So I think they could add more markers, but I am not sure how many blocks are already on that beam.

And finally, the fatal monorail crash some years back happened during a MAPO override. The accident report is quite interesting reading.
https://www.ntsb.gov/investigations/accidentreports/reports/rab1107.pdf

It might be possible to increase the number of blocks on the monorail resort beam. I'm not sure there is enough idle time in the resort-line stations to support another train though.
After the fatal crash that killed the CM in 2009, I don't think they will ever try to add more blocks to the beam. Here's a good writeup on it:

Unhappiest Place on Earth: The 2009 Walt Disney World Resort Monorail Collision

Side factoid: back at the beginning of my Ride Operator (Attractions Host) days, both the Steam Trains and Monorail were still still owned and operated by a separate entity, RETLAW (Walter spelled backwards) and owned by the Disney family.

Walt created a private company called Retlaw Enterprises (Walter backwards) to help control the benefits of his name and likeness—and to manage two Disneyland attractions that he owned: the steam trains and the Monorail. According to the writers of The Disney Monorail, “Retlaw paid fees to Disneyland for the attraction rights-of-way and employed those that worked at the attraction. Walt had also owned the Viewliner and the horse-drawn streetcars on Main Street, U.S.A. All of these assets were sold to Walt Disney Productions in 1982.
CM's who worked both attractions were hired in separately and initially weren't cross-trained on other attractions as most part and full-time CM's were. Some really pushed back and the more senior CM's were allowed to stay and not be cross-trained.

Last edited:
That lays out the blocking scheme pretty simply---and they are already short (150-300m). The two-block safety margin is probably necessary given human pilots.

Another fun fact: Tokyo Disneyland's train has only one stop, to comply with laws at the time that would have required a multi-stop train to be treated as any other regulated train service.

I think people are overcomplicating the suggested resort monorail restrictions. You don’t need new guards all over the place, just a couple of CMs at busy times (like MK closing), only at the MK monorail station, checking that anyone entering the resort monorail line is either a monorail resort guest or has an ADR for a monorail resort restaurant.

I think the only reasonable solution is to build a new PeopleMover track that can run parallel to the existing monorail.
I’m afraid that a new Skyliner loop is much more likely… it’s established technology, much cheaper to build. Unfortunately also less unique or pretty.

For folks who want to know more about blocking: it's quite similar to the way that roller coasters with multiple trains keep from colliding.

Unlike with roller coasters, the monorail beam blocks are not delimited by physical brakes/chain dogs, but instead markers on the beam and sensors on the trains. So I think they could add more markers, but I am not sure how many blocks are already on that beam.

And finally, the fatal monorail crash some years back happened during a MAPO override. The accident report is quite interesting reading.
https://www.ntsb.gov/investigations/accidentreports/reports/rab1107.pdf
That's one of the trivia questions I always get is that the Monorail operating system is named MAPO after Mary Poppins b/c Walt used some of the profits from Mary Poppins to invest in the monorail system.

I’m afraid that a new Skyliner loop is much more likely… it’s established technology, much cheaper to build. Unfortunately also less unique or pretty.
Whaaaat really? I can understand if they’re a bit terrifying for people but I think the skyliner is so pretty! It always feels pretty magical to see floating gondolas all over the place, feels so Disney!

Whaaaat really? I can understand if they’re a bit terrifying for people but I think the skyliner is so pretty! It always feels pretty magical to see floating gondolas all over the place, feels so Disney!
I agree. I find it so relaxing to watch them go by, it’s one of the things I love about RIV. I think they are nice to look at and the variety of colors and characters is well done! And I love how much less cramped they are than the bus or even the monorail.

I don't think Disney will ever block access to resort dining from outside guests. The Poly DVC kiosk is in a prime spot on your way to Captain Cook's, Trader Sam's, or the stairway to Kona, 'Ohana, and Tambu. If one guest tours the new tower after drinking an "Uh-Oa" Disney will be very happy! There is also no way Poly restaurants will fill with Poly only guests. Imagine the Luau before the tower? I know plenty of Poly guests that never attended. The Luau would make the GCH a wall of people. It also cluttered the monorail station with people heading to MK to get a bus back to their resort.

I could see Disney leaving certain cars on the monorail closed/empty at prior stations if it truly becomes a problem. Upgraded boat service and dedicated busses will also help. I am probably in the minority, but if I was staying in the tower I would honestly just walk to MK via GF. Walking is my preferred transportation type at WDW. It's also easy with assistive devices and strollers. I've rolled back on the monorail, waited too long for the boat, and stood on busses way too many times to count.

Would it be unexpected if the 1 bedroom in the new Tower are assessed points that are equal to what 2 studios of the current point chart are?

Depends if they are going to follow the same model as they have always used.

Total points in the chart based on the 2 bedrooms, and then they do include the lock off premium.

They use square footage as part of that calculation. I haven’t compared a lot but typically the 1 bedrooms are slightly more.

I think people are overcomplicating the suggested resort monorail restrictions. You don’t need new guards all over the place, just a couple of CMs at busy times (like MK closing), only at the MK monorail station, checking that anyone entering the resort monorail line is either a monorail resort guest or has an ADR for a monorail resort restaurant.

And you don’t think that is going to slow things way down if they are checking every guest?

It sounds though that there are two discussions going on here…stopping more guests from visiting Poly and stopping people from riding the monorail to TTC at the end of the night.

If it’s to keep people from the resorts, then you have to check at every stop.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter