• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Let's Get Ready to Crumble!- COMPLETED!

Wednesday 25th August

Now, we're going into slightly uncharted territory. Up until this day, I made copious notes about everything we did at Disney.

But exhaustion set in and the end of the holiday was looming large and so I stopped making notes! So I'm kinda hazy about the last couple of days. Luckily I have a few photos to jog my memory.

This was the day that our little group split up into two even smaller groups. The theory is that Simon and Kate spend lots of time together doing lots of death defying rides while Sarah and I take the world at a lot more of a sedate pace. So we thought we would have a day when we swapped partners.

Simon took Sarah off to do the Keys to the Kingdom tour - Sarah was now 16 so she could do it. They had an amazing time - I believe lunch was at CHH where I suspect Sarah had a tuna sandwich ;) Simon had chicken nuggets.

Kate and I discussed which park we wanted to go to - and we plumped for the Magic Kingdom! We were like stalkers and wondered if we would bump into Simon and Sarah - but we didn't.

We did feel that we should avoid CHH though :sad1: so we decided to plump for Pinnocchio Village Haus. We each got a chicken nugget meal. I had a strawberry cheesecake for my dessert, which made a nice change:

DSCF3302.jpg

We enjoyed this meal - nothing spectacular but it hit the spot. Although, is it me or are the fries very salty?

That evening, Kate and I were hitting the town - a table at the Flying Fish for two! We had both loved this restaurant when we went there in 2008 so we decided that was the place for us.

We got there just as the restaurant opened:

DSCF3313.jpg

DSCF3312.jpg

DSCF3315.jpg

Our server was Theresa and here's an interesting fact - she was from Hershey! I didn't even know it was a place (sorry USA!). Theresa told us that it always smelt of chocolate!

She was a brilliant server. Very attentive but very friendly also. She really looked after us and made Kate feel very grown up.

I had a cocktail - I think it was a Boardwalk Breeze:

DSCF3316.jpg

Kate had sprite of course! We decided to share the cheeseboard:

DSCF3318.jpg

This was absolutely delicious! More than enough for the two of us. We even had some left and Theresa wanted to box it up for us. I loved the soft cheese the most, Kate preferred the harder ones. I loved the accompaniments especially the honey comb. Yum, yum! I enjoyed it more than the Artist Point cheeseboard and that's saying something!

We were also served some lovely bread:

DSCF3317.jpg

We barely needed to look at the menu - we both knew what we wanted.

I went for the absolutely amazing spice crusted New York Strip steak:

DSCF3319.jpg

And Kate had the other signature dish - the potato wrapped snapper:

DSCF3320.jpg

Boy, oh boy - you didn't hear any complaints from us! We were in food heaven! Absolutely delicious! That steak is still one of my very favourite dishes in all of WDW - certainly my favourite steak. The crusted outside was just amazing and the steak itself was very tender. And it was huge!

Kate had the chocolate dessert:

DSCF3322.jpg

And I had the creme brulee in the mistaken belief that it would be a light option:

DSCF3324.jpg

The people at the next table were eyeing up our desserts and asking us about them. And they were very good!

When ordering dessert, I also decided to order a liquor coffee. Theresa brought it about halfway through dessert. She apologised profusely for forgetting it (I hadn't noticed that she had! I just thought she was bringing it after dessert!) and she told me that there would be no charge for the coffee. And this was no bog-standard coffee - it had nice alcoholic things in it (probably Bailey's knowing me!)

DSCF3325.jpg

So, yeah Rita at Narcoossees! Take a lesson from Theresa at Flying Fish - if you forget to give the customer something - apologise and give it to them with the compliments of the restaurant! (To be fair, Rita was so uninterested in us that I don't think she realised she had forgotten to give me my coffee!)

We loved this meal so much. It felt a little weird being just the two of us, but we had lots of fun. I had been nervous about the whole paying, signing the bill thing as that was usually Simon's job, but it went without a hitch.

We decided to pay OOP for this meal rather than use up 4 of our TS credits.

The final cost was $154.34 and worth every penny.

Crumble Rating: 9 out of 10

PS: Kate and I went onto World Showcase to watch Illuminations afterwards. Although we were too full to eat anything else, I had a frozen margarita from Mexico (I think it was a lime one):

DSCF3342.jpg

Come on Kate! Take a picture of your old mother with yet another alcoholic drink! (I blame Linda67!) I rewarded Kate with a frozen lemonade which cost one snack credit.

Coming up - Will it be too hot to eat at Raglan Road? Don't be daft!

Love the update and the pictures.Thanks for sharing
I just cancelled our Flying Fish to eat at the new Via Napoli.

So glad to hear you love FF as much as we do!!! We've been quite often and are going back for the Chef's Table dinner next week, can't get enough of this amazing place!:thumbsup2

Love the update and the pictures.Thanks for sharing
I just cancelled our Flying Fish to eat at the new Via Napoli.

Thanks for reading! I hear Via Napoli is very good!

The Flying Fish looks yummy!

Thanks for all your great reviews.

The Flying Fish was fab! Well, worth the dollars!

So glad to hear you love FF as much as we do!!! We've been quite often and are going back for the Chef's Table dinner next week, can't get enough of this amazing place!:thumbsup2

We saw the Chef dotting about - he was very good at dealing with a family who had allergy issues. I hope you have a delicious time!

yay raglan road is next! ate there the 20th so good! bread not so much haha

It was quite an eventful evening at Raglan - and the last of our holiday! :sad2:

Great new update!

Can you believe that in all the time we have spent at WDW and the MK we have never ever made it to Pinocchio's? But that cheesecake looks very tempting, so if it is still on the menu in February ......... :goodvibes

We tried FF for the first time towards the end of our vacation and we liked it too! Even though it was PACKED when we were there and the waiter was slightly uninterested in us. :laughing:

Great new update!

Can you believe that in all the time we have spent at WDW and the MK we have never ever made it to Pinocchio's? But that cheesecake looks very tempting, so if it is still on the menu in February ......... :goodvibes

We tried FF for the first time towards the end of our vacation and we liked it too! Even though it was PACKED when we were there and the waiter was slightly uninterested in us. :laughing:

Ooh! uninterested waiters! Shouldn't be allowed!:laughing:

Pinocchio's was fine - but we still prefer CHH!

yumyum! great reviews! the only downside is that im hungry now ;) keep up the good work!

Great reviews, enjoying them.

We just at at FFC a couple of weeks ago...and yes, your drink was the Boardwalk Bay Breeze (same one I had...want one now!)

Love that creme brulee, too...but agree it's not a *light* option.

Honestly, it sounds like we had mirror dining experiences! Ignored by Rita at Narcoossee's and treated wonderfully by Theresa at FF! I have never had bad service (or food) at Flying Fish. It's one of my favorites...the other being Citrico's!

Come on Kate! Take a picture of your old mother with yet another alcoholic drink! (I blame Linda67!) I rewarded Kate with a frozen lemonade which cost one snack credit.

Glad to be of service :rotfl:

great updates - that steak looks fabulous!

It's sooo good!

yumyum! great reviews! the only downside is that im hungry now ;) keep up the good work!

I'm always hungry when I'm writing these dining reviews! Thanks for reading - almost coming to the end:sad2:

Great reviews, enjoying them.

We just at at FFC a couple of weeks ago...and yes, your drink was the Boardwalk Bay Breeze (same one I had...want one now!)

Love that creme brulee, too...but agree it's not a *light* option.

Yes the Boardwalk Bay Breeze was very refreshing!

Honestly, it sounds like we had mirror dining experiences! Ignored by Rita at Narcoossee's and treated wonderfully by Theresa at FF! I have never had bad service (or food) at Flying Fish. It's one of my favorites...the other being Citrico's!

Part of me would like to try Citrico's - but we are too scared to go back to the GF for a meal!!

Glad to be of service :rotfl:

:lmao:

Your FF meal looks delish!:love:

We both really enjoyed it. Good food, great service!

Thursday 26th August

Our last full day in WDW!:sad1:

Again - I'm working without notes here - so please forgive me if the details are a little hazy. I couldn't even remember where we'd eaten lunch till I asked Simon!

Then it all came flooding back - we'd managed to escape the children in EPCOT - they had gone off to do a Kim Possible challenge so we sneaked over to World Showcase to Japan to see if we could get into Yakitori House.

We just about managed it:

DSCF3349.jpg

It was empty! Compared with the other day when we'd attempted to eat there it was absolutely deserted. There were a couple of japanese students in there but apart from that....although we started a trend and a few other groups came in whilst we were eating. Including a very snotty woman who wanted it all her way and was quite obnoxious to the very polite waiting staff.

I think I had the Shogun combination - teriyaki chicken, sukiyaki beef and rice. I also had the ginger cake for dessert:

DSCF3350.jpg

The flavours of this dish were really good. I especially enjoyed the chicken - the beef was slightly too stringey for my liking, but the flavour was good. I also enjoyed the ginger cake more than I thought I would. It was very light.

Simon had the tonosama combination with shrimp tempura (he had become a shrimp fanatic during this holiday). He had a cookie for dessert:

DSCF3351.jpg

Simon also really enjoyed his meal. We both agreed that this was a great place to eat - and very different to the normal CS burger type meals.

Dinner that evening was at Raglan Road. We ate there in 2008 and really enjoyed the atmosphere and the food. So we decided to make it our final Table service meal of the holiday - sob!

We were seated in the main dining area (last time we were seated in a side area and we never saw all the entertainment.) and our server was Daniel. He was ok - but nothing spectacular. Did his job, but nothing above and beyond. He wasn't particularly chatty either which was a shame.

Kate wasn't too happy with where we were sitting because hers and Sarah's seats were in front of a type of rail, so they had people sitting behind them all evening. It did kind of feel intrusive:

DSCF3354.jpg

Although one kind lady sitting at the rail offered to take a photo of me and Simon:

DSCF3372.jpg

In 2008 we'd had the appetiser D'lirrah for 2 people - but it had been far too much for the four of us! So we decided to get 2 appetisers to share. Oh my.

We got the dalkey duo - battered sausages:

DSCF3358.jpg

Delicious! But there were hundreds of the things! We also got the chicken kabobs:

DSCF3360.jpg

Simon said these were very nice but I don't know because I was wading my way through the sausages!

I also decided to have an iced irish coffee:

DSCF3361.jpg

This was very nice. But the weird thing was - it wasn't cold enough. Yes, I know it had ice in it - but the other ingredients they put in must have been room temperature because when they first brought it out it was hardly cold at all. It did get a bit cooler as the meal went on but I'd nearly drunk it all by then!

We also got some of the infamous soda bread. This was ok but not as nice as some of the other breads we'd had this week:

DSCF3356.jpg

For main courses, Simon went with the steak:

DSCF3364.jpg

Kate had the fish and chips (yay! proper chip shop chips!):

DSCF3367.jpg

Sarah had the chicken pie:

DSCF3366.jpg

And I decided upon Kevin's Heavenly Ham:

DSCF3365.jpg

Everyone really enjoyed their entrees. My ham was beautifully flavoured and the cabbage and potato underneath was wonderful.

During the main courses we had several entertainment slots. A duo singing with acoustic guitars, a man doing solo irish dancing and then the same man joined by two very pretty women dancers. The entertainment was all very good, adding to the wonderful pub atmosphere.

We had to try dessert. Simon and Kate both had the Dunbrody Kiss:

DSCF3369.jpg

Sarah had a sort of raspberry meringue/pavlova thing:

DSCF3370.jpg

And I went once again for the Bread and Butter pudding:

DSCF3368.jpg

Now this was very delicious and moist. My only complaint was - you see the little jugs of custard and caramel sauce? Well, You can just about see the caramel sauce peeping out the top of the jug. Can you see the custard? No! This is because there was only about an inch of custard in the bottom of the jug - not enough!

Anyway, we all enjoyed our meal here - despite the fact that we had people sitting over us while we ate, and that the iced coffee wasn't cold enough, and that there wasn't enough custard with the bread and butter pudding. This is still a great place to eat and we probably would go back another time.

Total Cost without DDP: $194.95

We paid: $60.95 for two appetisers, iced Irish coffee and the tip.

Crumble Rating: 7 out of 10

Coming up: A last meal in the Magic Kingdom....

Thanks for the update! I really enjoyed your review of Raglan Road. When we ate there it left a "sour taste" in our mouths - we did not enjoy it very much and dropped it from our list while we were there this summer. Maybe I should put it back on for our February trip! ;) I guess after your review they are worth a second try!

So sad to see your reviews coming to an end. Even though I got in late I really enjoyed reading them. Thank you!
And hopefully we CAN meet at WDW one of those next visits! :hug:

mm mm! great review! i've never heard of raglan road before, might have to try it now! :)

Great updates and I have enjoyed your food reviews...sad its ending.

Me too! I enjoyed eating the food and then I enjoyed writing about the food!

Thanks for the update! I really enjoyed your review of Raglan Road. When we ate there it left a "sour taste" in our mouths - we did not enjoy it very much and dropped it from our list while we were there this summer. Maybe I should put it back on for our February trip! ;) I guess after your review they are worth a second try!

So sad to see your reviews coming to an end. Even though I got in late I really enjoyed reading them. Thank you!
And hopefully we CAN meet at WDW one of those next visits! :hug:

That would be great Karin - I love reading your food reviews!:love:

mm mm! great review! i've never heard of raglan road before, might have to try it now! :)

It's quite a busy place but good fun. The menu is quite large so there's usually something to appeal to everyone!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter