• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Late flight home-what to do with luggage?

lookame

DIS Veteran
so in an effort to mitigate costs were trying to use Uber’s, lyfts and Disney transport. That being said the day we leave we have a late flight home (plane leaves around 7pm) we know we need to be out of the room by 11pm. We’re tossing around ideas what to do that day as well as what we can do with the luggage...

Husband suggested an overnight car rental for one day.

so in an effort to mitigate costs were trying to use Uber’s, lyfts and Disney transport. That being said the day we leave we have a late flight home (plane leaves around 7pm) we know we need to be out of the room by 11pm. We’re tossing around ideas what to do that day as well as what we can do with the luggage...

Husband suggested an overnight car rental for one day.
Staying at a disney resort? Bell services will hold your luggage for you until you are ready to head to the airport.

Are you staying in a Disney hotel? Bell Services will hold your bags. If you are using a participating airline, you can use RAC and send any checked bags to the airport early.

There's nothing to stress about. As noted above, if you're staying onsite you can either check you luggage that morning with RAC (which would be my choice,) or have bell services store it for you until you're ready to leave.

Even if you're not staying onsite, I've never known a hotel that wouldn't hold your luggage for you.

Oh! That is such a relief!! Thank you all! We’re flying southwest and will have one checked bag, 4 personal and 4 carry on items. I don’t mind going back to the resort to grab my bags from bell service and catching DME to MCO. We can swing a half park day which would be kids choice (we may be able ride rides or we may just walk around) i figure we need to be at the airport around 5 pm so we’d probably leave where around 1 pm maybe 3 pm at the latest to get back to the hotel and then on DME

If your plane leaves at 7:00, your DME bus will be scheduled to leave around 4:00 (plus or minus 15 minutes.) You must be on the bus that you're assigned to and the time you are given is the time your bus will leave, so you need to be waiting at the platform 15 minutes before that. Plan on being back at the resort by 2:00.

If your plane leaves at 7:00, your DME bus will be scheduled to leave around 4:00 (plus or minus 15 minutes.) You must be on the bus that you're assigned to and the time you are given is the time your bus will leave, so you need to be waiting at the platform 15 minutes before that. Plan on being back at the resort by 2:00.

so would this be a good time to do an uber so theres not an issue with waiting for busses that may go to other places? If we take an Uber would we be able to leave around 1:30pm? If we do busses wed have to leave around 11:30pm to make it back to the resort by 2pm

Since you are on Southwest, use RAC. We had the same situation. Flight departed at 6pm. At 11am, we brought our bags down to RAC and checked them through to our home airport. Its the same as using a skycap at the airport. They give you an airline issued baggage claim receipt and everything.

I'd consider just checking the carry on bags unless you really need to hang onto them.

Also, it can take bell services awhile to get you bags if you have them hold onto them. Plan for at least 15 min for that.

so would this be a good time to do an uber so theres not an issue with waiting for busses that may go to other places? If we take an Uber would we be able to leave around 1:30pm? If we do busses wed have to leave around 11:30pm to make it back to the resort by 2pm
You keep using "pm" when I'm pretty sure that sometimes you mean "am," so this is a bit confusing.

You don't need 2.5 hours to get back to your resort using Disney transportation. An hour will suffice.

we had the same flight on southwest at 7 pm we took bags to RAC in morning ,check all but 2 carry on .went to parks till around 4:30 took uber straight to airport ,got to airport around 5 made flight no problem

We’re flying southwest and will have one checked bag, 4 personal and 4 carry on items.
I understand having more to carry on on the way TO vacation, but on the way home, check some of those bags, make it easy on yourself.

Since you're staying at a Disney hotel:
1) Utilize RAC for any checked luggage (note, I think they close at noon).
2) Have baggage services hold on to any "non park" bags.
3) With a 7pm flight, you'll be assigned a pickup time between 3:45p and 4:15p. You want to be at the pickup time, all bags in hand, ready to board the bus 15 minutes before your pickup time.
4) Pick a park for the last day close to your resort. Plan on an hour to get from the park to your resort and collect luggage, go to the bathroom. If you walk out of the park by 2:30-3 (depending on pick up time), you should be fine.

Shoot to be back at your resort 90 minutes before your bus time. I usually say an hour but here allow an extra 30 minutes to get back your luggage from the bellhop.

Shoot to be back at your resort 90 minutes before your bus time. I usually say an hour but here allow an extra 30 minutes to get back your luggage from the bellhop.

Did you mean to say, shoot to leave the park 90 min before your bus time? I can't imagine any reason why one would need to be back AT the resort 90 min before a DME pickup.

90 minutes is excessive. 60 minutes will allow plenty of time to gather the luggage and go to the bathroom and still be waiting 15 minutes before the bus leaves

You keep using "pm" when I'm pretty sure that sometimes you mean "am," so this is a bit confusing.

You don't need 2.5 hours to get back to your resort using Disney transportation. An hour will suffice.
I just read over my post and I do think when I wrote 11:30 pm I meant am. I'm a little confused by my own post....I'm not sure what exactly I'm saying lol sorry.

What is RAC?

If we do busses wed have to leave around 11:30pm to make it back to the resort by 2pm

I cannot imagine it taking 2.5 hours to get back to your resort from a park, assuming you meant AM. And if you are super-nervous, take a taxi or rideshare from the park.

What is RAC?

It's the service that allows you to check your bag(s) from the resort. You take them to the RAC desk, they tag them, and take them to the airport for you. you don't see them until you get to your destination.

Which resort are you staying at? We use RAC all the time. On one trip, while we were staying at Saratoga Springs, the RAC people gave us incorrect boarding passes and checked our bags to the wrong traveler. My husband has a very common Hispanic name, and there just happened to be another person by the same name traveling on the same airline (SW) on the same day, to a different city. The boarding pass was no problem since I had purchased the early bird check-in, but I was really concerned about the checked bags. We went to the check-in counter for SW, and the guy there gave a little rant about how he didn't like the RAC program, that Disney doesn't know how to do airline check-in, and so on and so forth. I think the agent at SSR realized the mistake right away and had tagged all 4 of our bags to me. Our bags got home fine.
RAC works really well when it works. You are completely checked in and don't need to stand at the airline desk at the airport. You just go directly to the TSA line. Since our experience at SSR, I make sure I see that they tag our bags while we are standing there, and check my boarding passes before I walk away.

You need to inspect your baggage claim checks and your boarding pass as they are printed/written out no matter where you are and where you are going. Once in an earlier lifetime (pre-Epcot) I was at the airline('s own) check in counter at the airport and the agent tagged my bag for the wrong destination (DAB, Daytona Beach instead of the correct DCA, Reagan Wash. DC). Fortunately I caught it before he put the bag on the conveyor belt behind him.

(now that I have the floor) I said, "Shoot to be ...", not "Be ... without fail." You don't have to unconditionally grab a cab instead of take the bus just to make it back to your resort 90 minutes before your Magical Express bus time. But what if you cut it somewhat closer and you ran into one of those 40 minute waits at the park bus stop?

Last edited:
(now that I have the floor) I said, "Shoot to be ...", not "Be ... without fail." You don't have to unconditionally grab a cab instead of take the bus just to make it back to your resort 90 minutes before your Magical Express bus time. But what if you cut it somewhat closer and you ran into one of those 40 minute waits at the park bus stop?
I would count/plan on an hour to get from a park exit to the resort. That factors in a 20 minute wait for the bus, a 20 minute ride, and a 20 minute "cushion". So if I want to be at the resort at 3pm (for example), I'm walking out the gates of the park at 2pm. Even if there's a 40 minute wait for the bus, I still haven't eaten into my cushion. Getting to the resort 60 minutes before your pickup time automatically gives you at least a 30 minute cushion (allowing 15 minutes to pick up bags and being at the stop 15 minutes before the assigned time).

IMO, even saying "shoot to be" at the resort 90 minutes before is too conservative.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter