Laid off--Support thread

amykay9377,
As long as you finish your initial unemployment weeks by the end of Feb, you will be eligible for the 1st Tier of EUC (emergency unemployment compensation). Most people get 20 weeks on this extension (if you received the full 26 weeks of inital UI). If you didnt receive the full 26 weeks your Tier will be less. I would figure out when I was due to run out & either call or go in the day after your claim reaches 0. HTH

You might want to check out:

www.unemployed-friends.forumotion.com

Really helpful group of people there with lots of good information!

Hello all, I haven't posted in a while, but I'm STILL searching for a job and getting SO frustrated...GRRR.

Anyway, with all the talk about Unemployment $$, I was hoping someone in FL could help me.

I started Unemployment in Aug 2009. I am pretty sure that I will have exhausted my UC by Feb 2010 (which is coming vERY SOON!). Will I get a notice about an extension or anything? Will I just get "rolled over" so to speak into the next phase of Unemployment? Should I start running around frantically, begging McDonald's to hire me b/c I'm screwed? I'm so confused!

Thanks for any info you guys can provide - the Unemployment website is horrendous!

I have been collecting since Aug 08. I am on the benefits to mail in every week. There are enough until Feb. then I am not sure if an extension or not. I have a pt job that is an as neeed....I had one call out since Oct 09. 16 hrs of work since August, so not realiable.

At least you should not be distraught. With my disabilities it is difficult to really just pick something up.
Good luck with the hunt.
di

We wondered if it was legal as well and it seems that it is. This past year DH experienced:

#1 a substantial cut in wages
#2 a cut in benefits that we actually felt
#3 a cut in vacation time
#4 a cut in hours from 40 down to 32 and sometimes less
#5 was told that they had to take their vacations when the company wanted them to. Period.

All this within the last year.........but the alternative was the company would have shut down and all the workers laid off. As it was about 1/3 of the workers were laid off for about 11 months but dang if those guys got more on unemployment than the men like my husband who stayed working. :confused3
That part was one of THE most depressing and frustrating things we've ever encountered.
You don't WANT to get laid off from your job but........making less than the laid off guys really really sucked.

Good luck to you. I think the companies usually have things figured out to always be in THEIR favor, not the employees and there's not much you can do accept be *glad* you have a job.

Yes, it is frustrating and I agree, we should just be happy to have a job. I just have to add a quick story that happened today that goes with what you said about companies having things figured out in their favor. This is more of a vent than anything else, but I just have to let it out, better anonymously I guess!! LOL!

Last year was tough for everybody. I was laid off and have not been recalled. My DH's company had a cut in hours/wages, no raise (obviously), no bonuses (I get that), he went back to forty hours towards the end of the year and now another memo with the "if we go back to 32 hours..........." is looming, and my DH's boss shows up at work today with a brand new BENTLEY!!! :confused3 Really? Use a little discretion! Keep it at home and use one of your other ten older cars to come to work in times like these! Geez!

Yes, it is frustrating and I agree, we should just be happy to have a job. I just have to add a quick story that happened today that goes with what you said about companies having things figured out in their favor. This is more of a vent than anything else, but I just have to let it out, better anonymously I guess!! LOL!

Last year was tough for everybody. I was laid off and have not been recalled. My DH's company had a cut in hours/wages, no raise (obviously), no bonuses (I get that), he went back to forty hours towards the end of the year and now another memo with the "if we go back to 32 hours..........." is looming, and my DH's boss shows up at work today with a brand new BENTLEY!!! :confused3 Really? Use a little discretion! Keep it at home and use one of your other ten older cars to come to work in times like these! Geez!

I think we have now found the op of the "Great 2009" thread. He made so much money he bought a Bentley.

Gosh, I have to agree. That's pretty insensitive.

Almost afraid to put this out there, but if everyone would keep their fingers crossed for DH today. He has a 3rd interview this afternoon. I'm hoping this is it, but he's skeptical (understandably so). Could it be that after 19 months our ship has finally come in?

Hi everyone,

I posted this on the community board as well, but just saw this thread so I thought I'd post it here too.

I was working as an office manager/admin at a church and I had a part-time flexible schedule due which worked great since my DH is a pilot and is gone a lot so with having to take my two small ones to daycare and preschool and if one got sick I was able to come and go as needed without worry.

Well yesterday they said that since the church was growing, they needed someone there full time (including Sunday's to do work, which I can't do since with two kids, who can find daycare on a Sunday . I could make M-F full time work, I have childcare throughout the week, but Sunday wouldn't have worked, so we decided that I would "give my two weeks" and start looking.

It really stinks since it was such a great set-up and I know I won't ever find that again, but I guess employers have the upper hand these days and there was really nothing I could do. Perhaps they didn't like my flex schedule anymore and didn't want to admit it to me (since that was the agreement we had when I started working there over 2 years ago) and felt bad asking me to give it up, who knows.

So hoping I can find a new job soon!

I had an interview yesterday for my old job. We moved out of the state and now have moved back to the region. They are picking the person on Thursday.
So any prayers, crossed fingers and good luck sent my way would be appreciated. Thanks, Teri

Crossing fingers and toes for your interview, Good vibs on the way, keep us posted,....

I had an interview yesterday for a family advocate in a national organization in the county I live.
I feel very strongly that they contacted a previous employer that had some bad clique and office nepotism going on. They had some issues, I tried to stay out of.

I could feel something was up for months when a social workers dd was hired. a first year college major, for a high risk position with a minimal sociology degree, law enforcement for criminals and abused women with visitation orders.

I never opened my mouth, kept my nose clean. I saw hrs reduced, cases given to the staffs’ dd. the only cases I was getting were the long time highest risk most complicated.
I felt what was going on, I was under a microscope.'

There were security breaches and the entire staff and the clients were at risk, this was never addressed, because of lack of training and knowledge.
Then one day I was told, I did not put a monkey back in the correct container, it was in a zoo box, not Dora. I assume a child returned the item. I have to clean up with children, but nothing about sorting hundreds of toys.

Another time I was told I left a computer on, and did not enter the case. I had notified the case worker there was a prior problem as the family was entered as starting services of Oct of that year, however this was only June. She stated that she would take care of it. She forgot and closed the program without the corrections...

When my supervisor said she wanted to discuss my missing training I was dumbfounded. I had applied for training, but never had an approval the funds were received.
I knew where that was headed. I kept my cool and showed the documents that I have an request, I have a notification for training the following month approved, however, I never received anything for that date.
In fact they all made arrangements to drive with each other to attend.
I never heard a thing.......

I was asked to sign a document as a written warning that I will sort all toys, attended all training, and be attentive to client confidentiality????

I did not sign anything, explaining that is admitting to items I was wrong, and not correct. Sign or be removed from the schedule. I was removed from the schedule,

So my dream job that I excelled at for years in a moment was gone,
Gee like I once said, it all started the week HR, a co- program person, confronted me about being able to carry my work load, and my retirement income as being social security disability.....

Recently I reapplied for this position, and the document was received and sent back as refused, coming from an anonymous source. Twice two different email addresses.

SOooo today, they ask me if I understand confidentiality, files for clients how important that is.
How do I organize myself, keep track or trainings and meetings,
How would I handle work place conflicts?

They asked about my means to keep track, I felt gee this is really a detail that I never normally would encounter, where is that from????
I pulled out my planner, I explained while it is personal, I would not give details, but opened it to show the monthly planner, and slots of business cards, the address book, and ink.
Personal and work appointments.

By then I absolutely felt, they must have contacted the previous employer as that is what they said, I did not attended an approved training,

I understood from a previous separation in that agency they could only state that the person worked there and if they would be eligible for rehire?

First, not of what happened was true, I am a total professional, I was not going to argue over the clique, just do my job. This agency LOST their funds over the security and no longer can provide it to families....

It is a shame, but HR ran out 3 employees prior to my leaving, one was her gf sister that she adored, until they took a trip to NYC and had a falling out. Within two weeks, she was gone. One other woman had a baby and when she came back was nursing, HR went into the room and asked her how long that was supposed to go on. From their it was the slient treatment, stated she did not file her paper work correctly, This girl is a typical Queen Bee personality. and a Controling person.

I have been a detective for about 28 years. I can just feel that the previous agency was contacted and related what they had in that letter they wanted me to sign.

I have been asked about team work, work place conflict.....but this was a neck hair standing upright.
Wanting to know how I keep my records?
I KNOW HOW IT FELT! just as if they faxed that letter to the interviewer!

Every issue was brought up. Who do you think they will believe, that letter I refused to sign, or my extensive resume and credential....
NOW I am feeling really PO's if this is true, I am black balled!!!!!
DANG,.

If I understand correctly, large Corporations get some sort of tax break for off-shoring jobs. I would love to know who ever put this in place.

Why has the plug not been pulled on these tax breaks for corporations? :mad:

I really don't know all of the details, but if anyone has a link to a standard e-mail to send to the local politicians to stop the tax break, it would be appreciated.

Currently, I work for a large Corporation in Delaware which has off-shored a large portion of the positions. There is all this talk about job stimulus, but no mention of stopping the tax breaks for off-shoring jobs.

I could be completely misinformed, so someone please educate me.

Hey everyone...just an update on myself..

I will have been layed off for 1 year on Feb 25...

Today, I went on only my 3rd interview in a year, for a job I did not even apply for...they found me on Hot Jobs...and as of today....

I AM EMPLOYED AGAIN!!! I will be working at Orlando International Airport so I am waiting on getting my TSA-Homeland Security clearence, then should begin work around March 1, or sometime that week. I will be doing Data Entry, and the wages are good.:cool1:

This could not have come at a better time, as unemployment is running down, and I am in DIRE need of medical coverage. It is with a staffing agency, and the position is a long term(7yrs at least) position, with possibility of being hired by the company.

Keep the faith, don't give up...put your resume out there, and updated EVERY 30 days...thats how I got found...

Today, I went on only my 3rd interview in a year, for a job I did not even apply for...they found me on Hot Jobs...and as of today....

I AM EMPLOYED AGAIN!!! I will be working at Orlando International Airport so I am waiting on getting my TSA-Homeland Security clearence, then should begin work around March 1, or sometime that week. I will be doing Data Entry, and the wages are good.:cool1:

This could not have come at a better time, as unemployment is running down, and I am in DIRE need of medical coverage. It is with a staffing agency, and the position is a long term(7yrs at least) position, with possibility of being hired by the company.

Keep the faith, don't give up...put your resume out there, and updated EVERY 30 days...thats how I got found...

DAX, this is great!!! Congrats and good luck with the new job!

I am so glad to hear the great news. Good luck! :cool1:

I am really getting down on extensions. DH was able to reopen his claim. I have been off and working pt time as need since August 2008.
Really sucks, I had an interview a few weeks ago and got the letter they filled the position. It would have been difficult putting the full time hours in with disabilities but I need to take care of the family and have health benefits.

Update on my situation, I got the job. It's not the ideal situation being 600 miles away during the week from my family, but it makes sleeping easier at night knowing if my husband loses his job we'll be okay. Thanks for all the cross fingers and good wishes. Hoping everybody else here gets good news.

Update on my situation, I got the job. It's not the ideal situation being 600 miles away during the week from my family, but it makes sleeping easier at night knowing if my husband loses his job we'll be okay. Thanks for all the cross fingers and good wishes. Hoping everybody else here gets good news.

Congrats to Dax and BriarRose. Way to go!

:woohoo:

My husband got laid off a few weeks ago. He had been working at a church doing maintenance. We had our insurance through them. He had a cellphone through them. He has been able to go back to work for the company he worked for before this but it is contract work, very irregular and no benefits. However we are lucky he has something. My job is yearly as well so we are hoping everything stays good with them or I can find a better district (I am a teacher)..

I lost my job on Nov 13 and will be starting a temp project on Monday. It will only last 2 months but I am hoping it will offer some networking opps. The pay is terrible but it is more than unemployment.
It will require more help from DH as since I was not working we let the kids join sports teams. Now getting them to practices and games will be a challenge. Ohh well, I will have a reason to ge dressed and showered each day.

I lost my job on Nov 13 and will be starting a temp project on Monday. It will only last 2 months but I am hoping it will offer some networking opps. The pay is terrible but it is more than unemployment.
It will require more help from DH as since I was not working we let the kids join sports teams. Now getting them to practices and games will be a challenge. Ohh well, I will have a reason to ge dressed and showered each day.

I hope the temp thing works out well and lends itself to full time employment for you.

Oh Rose, such good news and difficult news. I am hoping that things work out for your family and this is only temporary seperation. Perhaps you will be back home again.
di

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter