Laid off--Support thread

Just an update on our situation. We'll be closing on our house in Colorado in 2 weeks and moving to Indiana where my husband got a job in September after being laid off at the end of August. My DD and DS will be staying with the grandparents in Wisconsin until we close on the house in Indiana. Anybody on the thread from Columbus, Indiana?

Just an update on our situation. We'll be closing on our house in Colorado in 2 weeks and moving to Indiana where my husband got a job in September after being laid off at the end of August. My DD and DS will be staying with the grandparents in Wisconsin until we close on the house in Indiana. Anybody on the thread from Columbus, Indiana?

What life altering changes. I will keep your family in my throughts and prayers,'
Why not check out the new area through web pages, a chamber of commerece, welcome club, community bulletin board. Our are was groing so fast we created a home page to business links, I think our realators have the link on their pages too.

Best of luck 2010
Di

No work available he can just plug in the hours he works or file for a full When no work is available.....still eligable for UC check.
ALSO, that company charged him $50 to do the clearances, and $150 for uniforms.....

We need him to work a decent steady permanant position. There he is selective. It has to exceed the UC and have benefits for us to survive. $10 an hour is a lot less then UC., but if it was a steady 3 days a week, we can still make it with UC.....That will cover what we have to pay for his medical now and part of the income loss.

Seems no one hires for real anymore. There must have been four "temp" agancies at the so called "job fair". For him to get back in warehousing/forklift near his wage and benefits is not going to happen in this economic time......

I am on a TIcket to Work for my SSDI, my pt time job is $16 an hour as work is available. I had $4 in income for a report contribution this week. (15minutes) You think that I could at least had a minimun of 1 hour charge...they go by the 6 minutes....
Even weeks I do work and exceed the "fulltime" the following week I can reopen my claim.

A year and half ago, I never would believe that we would take this hit.....
On top of that, I had a daughter pass away without insurance.
Made me realize, no way can we count on tomorrow.

Life certainly is a challange every day. Each one is precious, and I just hope we can paddle our way through this economic muddle.
I certainly need dh to be more agressive, at least in going out and placing applications in person.
:surfweb:

I'm not sure if I read this correctly, but want to be sure you know-
you can file and collect UC even if working, if your wages are less than your UC.
IOW, if you work just part time, you enter that amount in your claim, and UC makes up the difference. Its not alot usually, but definitely helps. Two people close to me are doing this, working the little part time jobs they occasionally have, and filing UC to make up the difference.
And I'm so sorry about your DD :hug:

For those still looking for work. I'm still praying for you all. Don/t give up hope they say thing are getting better and better out there.

I'm not sure if I read this correctly, but want to be sure you know-
you can file and collect UC even if working, if your wages are less than your UC.
IOW, if you work just part time, you enter that amount in your claim, and UC makes up the difference. Its not alot usually, but definitely helps. Two people close to me are doing this, working the little part time jobs they occasionally have, and filing UC to make up the difference.
And I'm so sorry about your DD :hug:

Thank you for your thoughts and kind words.
DH and I work as we can get any temp, offset with the UC. I wish it was steady. I have had nothing in months, but do volunteer for structuring an afterschool tween program.
I hope that would turn into a pt paid position with grants. I have to keep my mind busy even if my body fails.

I am on my last 7 checks of the last extension now.....scary.

DH has worked at the security job, that has not been since before black friday I think. He is looking for forklift or warehouse temp work. It is not good for him sitting around here. He lays in bed or sits and watches TV....one day sleep 24 hrs after being up 24 hours.

We may take a few days to visit family to relieve some stress. The holidays are very difficult for me.
dd 14 cyber charter schools so she will not miss any time.

Di

Thank you for your thoughts and kind words.
DH and I work as we can get any temp, offset with the UC. I wish it was steady. I have had nothing in months, but do volunteer for structuring an afterschool tween program.
I hope that would turn into a pt paid position with grants. I have to keep my mind busy even if my body fails.

I am on my last 7 checks of the last extension now.....scary.

DH has worked at the security job, that has not been since before black friday I think. He is looking for forklift or warehouse temp work. It is not good for him sitting around here. He lays in bed or sits and watches TV....one day sleep 24 hrs after being up 24 hours.

We may take a few days to visit family to relieve some stress. The holidays are very difficult for me.
dd 14 cyber charter schools so she will not miss any time.

Di

just a FYI, you might not be on your last 7 weeks. DH thought he had exhausted everything...even HUP, when lo and behold, guess what? there is now a tier 3 and tier 4 and he will go from HUP to tier 3 (for 13 weeks) and then maybe tier 4, depending on what is going on at the end of those 13 weeks. He also goes back to filing every other week online. The world of unemployment compensation is certainly confusing, but at least it's available and helping us through this difficult time.

This might be somewhat OT, but I have a question about a cut in hours. Last year, my DH's hours were cut to 32 hours a week for about four months. Well, today he got an E-mail that stated that "IF" they go back down to 32 hours a week, all employees must burn all of their vacation days first, to make a complete 40 hours a week, before they can take unpaid days. Why would they do this? So, if we had a vacation scheduled in December, my DH might not have any vacation days left to take. This kind of makes me mad. I am already mad because his hours are being cut. But now you are telling me you are in essence taking away his vacation as well, because you are making him burn it all in the beginning of the year during this forced reduction of hours? It doesn't even seem legal!!:mad:

Anyway, I was just wondering if someone could explain why a company would do this, just so I can make sense of this all instead of stewing about all day and night. Thanks.

This might be somewhat OT, but I have a question about a cut in hours. Last year, my DH's hours were cut to 32 hours a week for about four months. Well, today he got an E-mail that stated that "IF" they go back down to 32 hours a week, all employees must burn all of their vacation days first, to make a complete 40 hours a week, before they can take unpaid days. Why would they do this? So, if we had a vacation scheduled in December, my DH might not have any vacation days left to take. This kind of makes me mad. I am already mad because his hours are being cut. But now you are telling me you are in essence taking away his vacation as well, because you are making him burn it all in the beginning of the year during this forced reduction of hours? It doesn't even seem legal!!:mad:

Anyway, I was just wondering if someone could explain why a company would do this, just so I can make sense of this all instead of stewing about all day and night. Thanks.

I don't know that this is the same for your company, but my employer has been forcing us to burn off our vacation hours (not due to a reduction in regular hours). The reason is that for the company, vacation hours that I have accrued/earned are a liability to them. In other words, it's generally bad for the company's bottom line. The other problem we've had is that the company pays out vacation hours when we leave, whether it's because of a resignation or a layoff. We've had lots of layoffs in the past 2 years, so the company has had to pay out a lot of money for earned vacation time. They don't want to do that, so they're limiting the amount of vacation time we can have stored up at any one point in time. Ideally (from their perspective), they want us to be at zero vacation hours.

Anyway, I don't know if your DH's employer is similar, but that's what we've been dealing with. And believe me, I understand your frustration. I want to use my vacation hours when I want to, not necessarily when the company wants me to. Good luck! :)

I don't know that this is the same for your company, but my employer has been forcing us to burn off our vacation hours (not due to a reduction in regular hours). The reason is that for the company, vacation hours that I have accrued/earned are a liability to them. In other words, it's generally bad for the company's bottom line. The other problem we've had is that the company pays out vacation hours when we leave, whether it's because of a resignation or a layoff. We've had lots of layoffs in the past 2 years, so the company has had to pay out a lot of money for earned vacation time. They don't want to do that, so they're limiting the amount of vacation time we can have stored up at any one point in time. Ideally (from their perspective), they want us to be at zero vacation hours.

Anyway, I don't know if your DH's employer is similar, but that's what we've been dealing with. And believe me, I understand your frustration. I want to use my vacation hours when I want to, not necessarily when the company wants me to. Good luck! :)

Also there is the cost of the vacation when paid vs. when earned. If I got 2 weeks vacation at $X per hour and then I got a 10% raise before taking my vacation then the company now has to pay that vacation to me at 10% more than orginally planned.

In the old days one could keep vacation indefinitely and many would until retirement. I worked at a place where a guy retired with 6 months of vacation pay. That was costly to the company.

Have you tried calling your state's Labor board and asking them?

just a FYI, you might not be on your last 7 weeks. DH thought he had exhausted everything...even HUP, when lo and behold, guess what? there is now a tier 3 and tier 4 and he will go from HUP to tier 3 (for 13 weeks) and then maybe tier 4, depending on what is going on at the end of those 13 weeks. He also goes back to filing every other week online. The world of unemployment compensation is certainly confusing, but at least it's available and helping us through this difficult time.

That is where I am at the mailing, and there may be a few more weeks? UC left me think this is it. I will inquire,
Thanx :thumbsup2

Also there is the cost of the vacation when paid vs. when earned. If I got 2 weeks vacation at $X per hour and then I got a 10% raise before taking my vacation then the company now has to pay that vacation to me at 10% more than orginally planned.

In the old days one could keep vacation indefinitely and many would until retirement. I worked at a place where a guy retired with 6 months of vacation pay. That was costly to the company.

On the flip side, our company instituted a wage cut last year, so the vacation time I earned before that is actually worth less now than when I earned it.

As of Nov 2009, they added one week to Tier II making it 14 weeks, added a new Tier III for 13 weeks and Tier IV for 6 weeks. Only problem is these Tiers expire at the end of Feb. The new Jobs Bill has passed in the HoR extending deadline to end of June. Senate will debate when they return. Good luck to all that are looking for employment in these tough times.

That is where I am at the mailing, and there may be a few more weeks? UC left me think this is it. I will inquire,
Thanx :thumbsup2

Did you call? From the way I read the paperwork that came yesterday, you have until sometime in June to use up the 3rd (and maybe 4th) tier money. If that's correct, DH should be getting another 13 weeks after these 13 are up, and he'd be collecting for 2 years! The woman he spoke to on Tuesday seemed to think there would be yet another extension, but wasn't sure.

Just remember that unless the current "Jobs Bill" that just passed in the House gets passed in the Senate, the unemployed will not be able to collect any tiers after the end of Feb. Please contact your Congressmen to help out those 15 million who are currently unemployed.

We wondered if it was legal as well and it seems that it is. This past year DH experienced:

#1 a substantial cut in wages
#2 a cut in benefits that we actually felt
#3 a cut in vacation time
#4 a cut in hours from 40 down to 32 and sometimes less
#5 was told that they had to take their vacations when the company wanted them to. Period.

All this within the last year.........but the alternative was the company would have shut down and all the workers laid off. As it was about 1/3 of the workers were laid off for about 11 months but dang if those guys got more on unemployment than the men like my husband who stayed working. :confused3
That part was one of THE most depressing and frustrating things we've ever encountered.
You don't WANT to get laid off from your job but........making less than the laid off guys really really sucked.

Good luck to you. I think the companies usually have things figured out to always be in THEIR favor, not the employees and there's not much you can do accept be *glad* you have a job.

Just remember that unless the current "Jobs Bill" that just passed in the House gets passed in the Senate, the unemployed will not be able to collect any tiers after the end of Feb. Please contact your Congressmen to help out those 15 million who are currently unemployed.

That is not necessarily true ... it all depends on when your original claim for unemployment benefits was.

Doesn't matter when your original date is, if you are able to move onto another EUC tier by the end of Feb, you will be allowed to finish that tier but not move to the next unless a deadline extension is passed. There are 14 states that currently have mandatory extended benefits written into their laws, but the other states will stop EB when deadline passes and the Feds stop picking up 100% of the cost.

Hello all, I haven't posted in a while, but I'm STILL searching for a job and getting SO frustrated...GRRR.

Anyway, with all the talk about Unemployment $$, I was hoping someone in FL could help me.

I started Unemployment in Aug 2009. I am pretty sure that I will have exhausted my UC by Feb 2010 (which is coming vERY SOON!). Will I get a notice about an extension or anything? Will I just get "rolled over" so to speak into the next phase of Unemployment? Should I start running around frantically, begging McDonald's to hire me b/c I'm screwed? I'm so confused!

Thanks for any info you guys can provide - the Unemployment website is horrendous!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter