Labeling your kids

I was always the most critical of these threads when it came to marking up your kids, etc when going to a theme park. After all, 3 kids in and we've never had an issue. Then, last year at a water park in NJ, as we strolled off in different directions, my wife assumed that I had my daughter next to me while I assumed that she had my daughter next to her. We were only separating for about 2 minutes, running another kid to the bathroom while the other went to the towel bag to grab something, and in the process my 3 year old was somehow missed. When we both met up again and quickly realized that she was not there, I cannot even begin to explain the degree of panic and fear that sets in. It only took about 15 seconds of looking around where we saw her sitting on a step, teary eyed and looking for us. Again, 3 kids over the course of 10 years and not one issue ever losing, misplacing, forgetting a kid. It took once "hiccup" where assumptions were made on both ends and all of a sudden you have a missing child.

Mark up the child, tattoo the child, even tie one of those really long balloons to her arm, the kind you find at a used car lot. It's all good.

Also, never make assumptions!

I'm glad you said this because I read some of these replies and had a difficult time getting my eyes back to the front of my head. It only takes a second and if you need the peace of mind that comes along with putting your info on your child in case an emergency arises, you do you. Don't let the Perfect Parenting Police dissuade you

Last edited:
Might I suggest one of these

http://www.officedepot.com/a/products/251766/Sharpie-Magnum-44-Permanent-Marker-Black/

When in high school, 20 years ago, someone wrote on my forehead with one, in the right lighting you can still read what they wrote to this day.

That's a joke....kind of (it really did happen)

I also recommend getting a visa card in their name and then if they ever come up missing, don't pay the bill. The bill collector will find them.

I'm glad you said this because I read some of these replies and had a difficult time getting my eyes back to the front of my head. It only takes a second and if you need the piece of mind that comes along with putting your info on your child in case an emergency arises, you do you. Don't let the Perfect Parenting Police dissuade you

I think you said it right, "...if you need the piece of mind". More than anything else, I think it's peace of mind for the parent, and there's nothing wrong with that at all. Everyone is different and handles parenting differently. In my own opinion, and it's just that, the leash is just taking it too far...way too far. But each to their own. Perfect parenting police? Oh please. Just ask my kids, they'll tell you. I'm only perfect on Christmas and their birthday, sometimes...if I'm REALLY lucky. Will get to test that theory next week, my twins turn 9. My, how time flies.

I think you said it right, "...if you need the piece of mind". More than anything else, I think it's peace of mind for the parent, and there's nothing wrong with that at all. Everyone is different and handles parenting differently. In my own opinion, and it's just that, the leash is just taking it too far...way too far. But each to their own. Perfect parenting police? Oh please. Just ask my kids, they'll tell you. I'm only perfect on Christmas and their birthday, sometimes...if I'm REALLY lucky. Will get to test that theory next week, my twins turn 9. My, how time flies.

I can see it for small kids that are old enough to know they have the tatoo/bracelet etc and show someone but not old enough to have managed to memorize where they are staying and the info for vacation. Espeically since even if they knew your cell phone number cells don't always call well in the parks.

Some take it too far though. I had my 9 year old neice with us on a family vacation. Her parents didn't go but they sent my two nieces (9 and 16 at the time) with the rest of us. My sister (note not the kids mom) kept freaking out on my husband and I for not holding her hand at all times. Seriously she is 9 she doesn't run off never has. Some of the times we were in LINE. She is not going to go under the ropes and bolt she is fine. Even if she did leave she knew where we were staying and our room number better then some others in the party, had her own key to the world card on her in case she forgot, and would have no problem going and telling a cast member she lost the group and asking for help locating us. Then again this was the same sister that was mad that I sent a 16 and 17 year old into world of disney alone when I went to guest relations for a minute...

These two were told to stay together and each had a cell phone with all of our numbers.

Before mine were old enough to have our phone numbers memorized we used keychain ID tags buckled to their shoe laces and trained them to point it out to cast members.

I was always the most critical of these threads when it came to marking up your kids, etc when going to a theme park. After all, 3 kids in and we've never had an issue. Then, last year at a water park in NJ, as we strolled off in different directions, my wife assumed that I had my daughter next to me while I assumed that she had my daughter next to her. We were only separating for about 2 minutes, running another kid to the bathroom while the other went to the towel bag to grab something, and in the process my 3 year old was somehow missed. When we both met up again and quickly realized that she was not there, I cannot even begin to explain the degree of panic and fear that sets in. It only took about 15 seconds of looking around where we saw her sitting on a step, teary eyed and looking for us. Again, 3 kids over the course of 10 years and not one issue ever losing, misplacing, forgetting a kid. It took once "hiccup" where assumptions were made on both ends and all of a sudden you have a missing child.

Mark up the child, tattoo the child, even tie one of those really long balloons to her arm, the kind you find at a used car lot. It's all good.

Also, never make assumptions!

You never know, do you? When my DD was about 3 she was a little peanut of a thing. My sister and I took the kids to Mystic Aquarium for the day...pretty safe, right? Gail had my DD hand in hers and I had the boys, and as we walked past a set of double doors for some show, they opened wide and a wave of people came barreling out, swept my DD right out of her aunts grip. OMG! What to do? We could not see her and there was so many people all swarming in different directions so I raced to the reception desk and told them what happened as my sister frantically looked. They refused to announce a lost child until I very calmly..not... told them my next call was to the police to report my lost daughter. Turns out that she had been pulled outside and was crying. It was horrible!

I never judge how people choose to keep their children safe, and I never fall for that old "I can't speak for others, but DW and I go with the old fashioned holding your child's hand and/or keeping an eye on them at all times. :duck:"
It is rude and dismisses the fact that accidents can and do happen even with the best parenting plans.

We used a sharpie and liquid bandaid last year. Worked like a charm! Wrote it small, along his wrist where his magic band would have been (18 months old, didn't want to wear one).

While I don't disagree with the sentiment, it's certainly not old-fashioned! In fact, given how much freedom kids used to have, helicoptering is very much new-fashioned.
Helicoptering? At an amusement park? My DDs are 4 and 6. Not exactly ready to venture about the parks on their own. :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Am considering Safetytats for my 2 yo but reviews seem mixed. Wondering about sunscreen in particular causing problems. Also thinking he's likely to pull it off.

If not Safetytats, what is your favorite method for putting a phone number on your kids?

Ours lasted several days, if you are talking about the temporary tattoo type. You usually order several at a time, you can order enough to put a new one on everyday (we did every other, if I remembered)

Also, don't put them in a place that is too private, I believe I heard that CMs aren't supposed to lift up or take off the kids clothes to check for them (We just did it on their upper arm)

I would never rely on a tattoo, road ID, or magic band. Especially not the last.

The procedure Disney has is good. Teach your kids to find a cast member at a register. Those are the likeliest to have access to a phone to get in touch with other CMs. Have the kid stay there. Have one adult stay calm. The other can freak. Go for it. One parent should remember to show a CM a picture from that day so they know what the child is wearing. The CMs reunite kids all the time and have for decades before MBs and all that.

To hope that your lid magically finds a CM with a cellphone AND who has permissions to use it, or who has the right MB reader...the chances are low.

Go the old fashioned way.

Personally, I say whatever you do please don't subject your poor child to those leashes that they try to disguise as a backpack with an animal shape on it. Leashes are for dogs, not kids. If you need a leash to keep an eye on your kid, maybe it's not your kid that's the concern.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with a harness like that. We love our dogs madly, so we use leashes. We love our kids madly, so why not use them? There are actual injuries that can happen in elbows and shoulders from holdings little hands and pulling on them. A harness works MUCH better and with less future shoulder injury potential.

with what ever method you use remember to take a pic on your phone of child each day so you pull up if needed. this way you can easily show what child is wearing that day

Yep.

I can't speak for others, but DW and I go with the old fashioned holding your child's hand and/or keeping an eye on them at all times. :duck:
Does not work so great when they are 8 yrs old and up..especially in very large crowd. My cousin and his former wife were both police officers, trained in watching suspects. They were at Disneyland and their son got out of view for seconds and was lost. Thank God he knew to go for help. So don't be fooled by old fashioned hand holding and eyes on them at all times. There is no harm with a back up on a child.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with a harness like that. We love our dogs madly, so we use leashes. We love our kids madly, so why not use them? There are actual injuries that can happen in elbows and shoulders from holdings little hands and pulling on them. A harness works MUCH better and with less future shoulder injury potential.

My DD used one at the Big E when our DGD was under two. That child was walking at 6 months and running by 9 months, so if she was walking during a Fair, she had the little harness on. She could RUN!!!!!!!!!!!!!! WE did take one to Disney when she was 4, but since we had her Pa with us, that child's little feet barely touched the ground. He had her perched on his arm like a bird, so the harness never cam e out of the suitcase. They were inseparable, and if we lost her we also would have lost the 6'6" People Mover she was attached to! LOL!

We just wrote our number on their arm with sharpies. Lol not huge:)

As far as holding on we lost one for about four minutes because each of the three adults (parents and one grand) thought someone else had him.

You know what they say about ASSumptions.

I can't speak for others, but DW and I go with the old fashioned holding your child's hand and/or keeping an eye on them at all times. :duck:

This becomes difficult when you are outnumbered. We went with a barely 9 year old, 2.5 year old, and 2.5 year old. Also difficult if something is REALLY crowded and/or dark.

Try watching your 2 year old about 2 feet from you and a Brazilian tour group gets between you.

Our children did not get away from us or out of our line of site, we did not use a leash [mostly because our kids refused], we did use safety tatts and instruct our children what to do if lost.

While some of our children are more "independent" than others, NONE of them ran or anything like that at Disney because they were sufficiently understanding that we should stick together....however, some children don't have that instinct.

Just a tip, if you are going to put a phone number, put where it is not visible to all to see right away. You don't want your number out there on their arm.
When my kids were too young to understand they were attached to me or the stroller. Once they understood, they were taught to go to a cast member and be taken to lost and found. I also wrote down what they had on in event I was in a panic and could not remember (digital cameras weren't around). I wrote name and phone number to resort and put in shoes. They knew it was in there.
Yes years ago. My kids are 24, a few weeks shy of 28 & 29.

Just a tip, if you are going to put a phone number, put where it is not visible to all to see right away. You don't want your number out there on their arm.
When my kids were too young to understand they were attached to me or the stroller. Once they understood, they were taught to go to a cast member and be taken to lost and found. I also wrote down what they had on in event I was in a panic and could not remember (digital cameras weren't around). I wrote name and phone number to resort and put in shoes. They knew it was in there.
Yes years ago. My kids are 24, a few weeks shy of 28 & 29.

I put them on their upper arm NOT covered by sleeve, but turned more inward (so every person wasn't easily able to read the number but could clearly see the tatt was there)

Your system might work for an 8 year old, but a 2 year old might be very scared, crying, etc., so may not direct a CM to the label and the CMs can't inspect the child under shoes or clothes.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter