Knights & Lights

kathyfranklin

Mouseketeer
If anyone has done this, I'd appreciate some advice.

Trying to determine which is best Knights and Lights or Gateway.
We have three teenagers, 2 adults.

Did you like the accomodations? Can you describe? What was the location like?

Did you like the trip to Versailles? Did you do the bicycle tour? How was that?

Also - what was lunch like onthe Eiffle tower.

Thanks so much.

Thanks so much.

The accomodations were fine. London's was nicely located so it was an easy walk to many places. We went in early and found it easy to get around on our own. The room was nice enough; it had more of a quaint feel with wood floors. The windows were high and did not provide a view of anything. The hotel had a lovely little lounge and restaurant and a beautiful courtyard. We liked the Paris hotel room better (more contemporary and ours was larger than the room in London had been). We had a nice courtyard view from our wndows but the hotel location wasn't as good as London's had been. The lobby and restaurants were much busier than London's had been. We were near the Arc de Triomphe and close to a metro station.

We loved the trip to Versailles. The bicycle tour was something that I had been dreading but we had a blast. I was surprised that several parties in our group opted out of it but those of us who did it thoroughly enjoyed it. It was a beautiful day and it was the only way to see all of the grounds; walking would have taken too long. I saw some Segways there and wished we could have rented one of those but hadn't known about it prior to arriving that day (we did a nighttime Segway tour of Paris which was a lot of fun).

I was very very disappointed with the lunch at the Eiffel Tower. Actually, I was pretty disappointed with many of the included meals except breakfasts and the lunch we had at Harrod's--our meals on our own were much better. The Eiffel Tower lunch was very crowded. We were seated at long tables so if someone had to get up to use the restroom, everyone had to get up. The food was mediocre and there were no views from the restaurant. We had that afternoon on our own so there was plenty of time after lunch to enjoy the views and go up to the higher levels of the tower.

Thanks so much.

We did K and L over Christmas 2008, and had a great time. For that trip our son was 15 and our daughter 8. My son loved the Eiffle Tower experience--wild winds blowing at the top, arms out as though he were on the bow of the Titanic! (At the time, the cafe was open but not the restaurant, so we went to tall building across the way--good lunch, great view of the Eiffle Tower; I think regardless of the food--whatever it might be like on the ET--the experience is the thing). Anyway--our hotel in London was the Chancery Court (I'd botch the spelling--but it is near the Holborn tube station and very easy walk to the British Musuem; we liked is enough to stay there again this June before we take the Disney cruise to the Baltic). The Paris hotel (Hilton, close to the Arc de T., metro station, lovely park) was a perfect location, and nicely appointed. With the Gateway, I think your hotels are a bit further removed from everything.

Although winter, we still did the bike ride at Versailles--and we, too, found it a blast (sure, a winter blast as well--but a lot of fun and a neat experience). The lunch after at a restaurant on the grounds was very good--in fact, we had no complaints about the food. (But then, we are not that concerned about the food--we ended up at an enclosed (with plastic walls) and low key eatery on the bank of the Seine and below the Eiffle Tower on Christmas Eve--not what we planned, but in the end just a great time and memorable. Hot wine was pretty good on a cold winter night; the Eiffle Tower was lit up (rotating colors) and lots of locals roaming around.

Because things were closed Christmas Day we had a VIP day (arriving early, staying late) at Paris Disneyland--loved it, and saw a lot (with guides taking us onto certain rides, saved spots for parades and a wonderful dinner at "Walt's" on Main Street). In fact, we had planned on two days post trip at Paris Disneyland, but our guides arranged for an evening pickup from our hotel to the park on departure day so we could spend another day on our own in Paris.

I can't say what it would be like in summer--other than warmer!--but we really liked the pace, and the kids had a great time.

Thank you Dis ad and WeloveABD.

I really like how you described the tour of Versailles. Thank you.

"I was very very disappointed with the lunch at the Eiffel Tower. Actually, I was pretty disappointed with many of the included meals except breakfasts and the lunch we had at Harrod's--our meals on our own were much better. "

Are there any restaurants you can remember/recommend? With Gateway there are more meals on our own (I think).

And Christmas in Paris......how lovely!

I'd be interested in learning more about this night. My DD9 LOVES, LOVES, LOVES Lion King - we've seen it on Broadway twice and she's begging for a 3rd trip to NYC just to see the show. I don't recall reading much detail from the trip reports about this - is it really interesting?
I've been to both London and Paris twice, so this trip hasn't been high on my list, but am wondering if this aspect of the trip alone would make it worth it?

I'm considering this one too. The price seems very reasonable compared to the regular trip and the dates fit well with the trip we already have planned for earlier in the summer and our school calendar (which keeps getting in the way of my vacation planning, since our school starts so early). We've seen the Lion King, although I just asked my son if he remembers, and he said no. I'm sure it's a very special part of the trip, but it would also be good to use the time in London seeing things I haven't seen before. I'm wondering about the difference in accommodations though - mainly the location. If I'm going to have more time on my own, I would definitely like to have easy access to the sights.

I'd be interested in learning more about this night. My DD9 LOVES, LOVES, LOVES Lion King - we've seen it on Broadway twice and she's begging for a 3rd trip to NYC just to see the show. I don't recall reading much detail from the trip reports about this - is it really interesting?
I've been to both London and Paris twice, so this trip hasn't been high on my list, but am wondering if this aspect of the trip alone would make it worth it?

this was one of the highlights of our trip, especially for our daughter who was 9 at the time. She is a dancer, and has also been in a few plays, so this was right up her alley. She was front and center during the backstage tour and was completely focused on everything the guide was telling us. It was really neat to be led backstage and to see all of the costumes and sets and to learn how everything worked. We even got to see the actors' lockers where they kept their things.

Bobo, I wouldn't worry about location too much. The London underground is very easy to navigate, in fact we let our son tell us how we were going to get around. We had a few extra days in London and used the underground quite a bit. We didn't use the metro in Paris as much, but looking back, I wish we had, because we spend a LOT of time walking on the day we went to the Eiffel Tower (since we had the afternoon off). We would have saved time if we had just taken the metro.

this was one of the highlights of our trip, especially for our daughter who was 9 at the time. She is a dancer, and has also been in a few plays, so this was right up her alley. She was front and center during the backstage tour and was completely focused on everything the guide was telling us. It was really neat to be led backstage and to see all of the costumes and sets and to learn how everything worked. We even got to see the actors' lockers where they kept their things.

Bobo, I wouldn't worry about location too much. The London underground is very easy to navigate, in fact we let our son tell us how we were going to get around. We had a few extra days in London and used the underground quite a bit. We didn't use the metro in Paris as much, but looking back, I wish we had, because we spend a LOT of time walking on the day we went to the Eiffel Tower (since we had the afternoon off). We would have saved time if we had just taken the metro.

Thanks, jlou. Did you visit Disneyland Paris while you were there? Just wondering if it's worth it.

Bobo, I can't tell you how much I loved Disneyland Paris. We arrived there on a Friday morning and the park crowds were pretty light. We had lunch at the Blue Bayou. We spent the entire day, until closing at the Disneyland Parc. No fireworks but we enjoyed the parade. We had dinner in Downtown Disney that night.

Saturday morning, we were there at opening and rode Space Mountain first (it wasn't open on Friday) and then we headed over to Hollywood Studios to ride Crush's Coaster before crowds got bad. IMO, it's worth going to DLRP just to ride this one ride. We had the late lunch booked at Auberge de Cendrillon, the princess meal at Disneyland Parc. The meal was outstanding and there were so many characters there to meet. I really enjoyed this meal and loved the sophisticated menu, especially compared to the chraracter meals at WDW.

We spent the afternoon and evening at Downtown Disney again and flew home early the next morning.

DLRP reminded me of the setup in California; parks and DTD all close together. The parks were cleaner than the ones here; all of the CM's were very nice, the parks are beautiful. There were a few negatives; the smoking (although not as much as I'd feared, it was obvious) and the lines for some of the rides and character meets are not as organized as here. Other than that, the time spent there exceeded my expectations and I hope to return again.

My 12 year old daughter went with me and my parents 2 years ago. We have a wonderful time and my daughter has fantastic memories. I was a little surprised because the age of the kids was older than my daughter - high school and maybe college! I am finding that on these adventures, the kids are older (money well spent?!) We have been on the South African Safari this past December and are going to Germany with ABD in July. The guides are THE BEST and no matter what the age, they are super with ALL kids (even us grown ones!)

The Versalilles trip was LONG! but the lunch and bike ride were the highlights. I think they may have revamped that part of tour bc we thought it was too long.

We loved our guides and enjoyed the group. Our London hotel was gorgeous and in the heart of everything. The Paris hotel was nuovo and cool! Not really centrally located but safe and very nice. Having extra time to ourselves was great to explore these beautiful cities!

Bobo, I can't tell you how much I loved Disneyland Paris. We arrived there on a Friday morning and the park crowds were pretty light. We had lunch at the Blue Bayou. We spent the entire day, until closing at the Disneyland Parc. No fireworks but we enjoyed the parade. We had dinner in Downtown Disney that night.

Saturday morning, we were there at opening and rode Space Mountain first (it wasn't open on Friday) and then we headed over to Hollywood Studios to ride Crush's Coaster before crowds got bad. IMO, it's worth going to DLRP just to ride this one ride. We had the late lunch booked at Auberge de Cendrillon, the princess meal at Disneyland Parc. The meal was outstanding and there were so many characters there to meet. I really enjoyed this meal and loved the sophisticated menu, especially compared to the chraracter meals at WDW.

We spent the afternoon and evening at Downtown Disney again and flew home early the next morning.

DLRP reminded me of the setup in California; parks and DTD all close together. The parks were cleaner than the ones here; all of the CM's were very nice, the parks are beautiful. There were a few negatives; the smoking (although not as much as I'd feared, it was obvious) and the lines for some of the rides and character meets are not as organized as here. Other than that, the time spent there exceeded my expectations and I hope to return again.

Thanks, Pakey! Do you think 2 days was about right to see most everything? I don't know if we are going to do any major traveling besides the Yosemite trip this summer, but I've scheduled vacation for the first week of August just in case I come across a good airfare and decide to do the K&L Gateway. If we go, DS said he definitely wants to see Disneyland Paris and I think I do too!

We went on Knights & Lights in June 2009 with our 2 sons, 10 and 6. We searched this site almost daily for tips and information before we went so I hope this is helpful. We had a wonderful time (despite the rain every day!) and our kids have incredible memories. We arrived a day early but left the day the trip ended. I'd recommend adding at least one day on both ends. We really didn't have any free time during the day in Paris, we had just one evening on our own. Here's my opinion on your questions...

1.Accomodations - They were lovely and we couldn't have wished for better. Spacious, clean, beautifully decorated, great bathrooms. While the Chancery Court was traditional, the Renaissance Arc de Triomphe was fun and funky. Staff at both were gracious and accomodating and we'd stay at both of these locations again. Both are very close to the subway and within walking distance of many sites. Both hotels are surprisingly quiet as well. In London, you can easily walk to the British Museum and Leicester Square. There is a small grocery and pharmacy on the nearest corner and a McDonald's with free WiFi is across the street. In the rooms they even have an electrical outlet to charge your electronics without using an adapter.(Helpful when you have 1 adapter and multiple cameras, IPods, cellphones, etc. and limited time in the room). The Paris Renaissance Arc de Triomphe might be my favorite. It had just opened within the month of our arrival so there were a few kinks but the staff seemed genuinely pleased to host our ABD. They had the most comfortable hotel beds I've ever slept in. From our balcony we had the perfect view of the Eiffel Tower (twinkling at night on the hour to the delight of our kids) and the Arc de Triomphe. The Arc de Triomphe and the Champs Elysees are an easy walk away. Again, a McDonald's on the same block has free WiFi and the business center at the hotel lets you use their computers to confirm your flights and print boarding passes.

2.Versailles - The adults loved the tour, the younger kids got a little bored. Fortunately, you don't have to wait in the ridiculously long lines. It's really fascinating and beautiful to see. At the end, take the walk to the restaurants through the beautiful gardens. My husband took the tram with our youngest and he missed the amazing fountains, statues, and landscaping that make this truly stunning. Definitely take the bike ride. I hadn't been on a bike in more than 20 years and took a test ride at home the week before (you really do forget how despite the saying). I'm so glad that I did it with my family. It was raining so hard on our bike ride that we were drenched - clothes literally dripping wet. We never had so much fun! That experience really made all the kids on the trip become friends. My kids still say that the bike ride was the best part of the whole trip - and they loved all of the trip.

2.Eiffel Tower- I thought the adult lunch was pretty good. The kids were given a salmon pasta that didn't go over well. The guides ordered them cheeseburgers from the ground level to be brought up. My son just ate my meal. The restaurant certainly didn't seem very busy and was far from crowded but the staff seemed to struggle a bit with our group (and we were a polite and nondemanding crowd). They seemed a little overwhelmed. We waited in really long lines for security, then really long lines for the elevators. There were issues about how to get those who wanted to go up to the top level. Our guides were clearly frustrated by the process and the staff at the tower. My husband went to the top and describes it as his worst nightmare - none of the guides went to the top to direct people where to go (the ticket issue), no one in the group could figure out how to get back down, they waited more than an hour for an elevator on the upper level when it was raining, windy and cold... The 6 year old thought it was great. The whole process of getting the group up to the top and back down to the coach took so long we had no free time in Paris that afternoon. We had just enough time to get back to the hotel, dry off and change to get back on the coach for the last dinner. But you can't go to Paris and not go to the Eiffel Tower.

4.Lion King - Although we've seen it before, it still gave me chills. The seats are amazing and the performance was outstanding. I'd recommend going even if you've seen it before. The tour backstage was fascinating. No photography is allowed. It was a very late night for the kids though - I think we got back on the bus at 11:30. Needless to say, we skipped the optional walking tour the next morning in Lincoln Fields. I think everyone did.

5.Meals-I agree the meals overall left a LOT to be desired but that's a subjective thing obviously. The food is plentiful, the nonalcoholic beverages are all provided for you (although you get a lot of funny looks when you order soda in Paris). Breakfast buffets are great and get you through the day. The Paris hotel kept running out of hot food in buffets- again, I think a glitch in not being used to the volume yet. Our group bonded over jokes about how much we disliked the food on the whole, especially the tea at Harrod's. Our family experience was somewhat biased because our son has a nut allergy and most of the restaurants where we had group meals were reluctant to feed him which was frustrating and disappointing. The guides certainly tried to facilitate but it was difficult overall. Harrod's actually gave him a steak, a beautiful salad, and exotic sorbets that had all the rest of us jealous. (ABD could have skipped the whole Harrod's experience in my opinion -I'd go explore on my own during that time if I did it again.) Dining on your own is easy - do a little research before you go. As we were arriving in London late, I had looked up restaurants near the hotel. While the concierge tried to steer us to more expensive, elaborate Italian, we walked a couple blocks to Spaghetti House and had a really decent meal that didn't cost more than $80 and made the kids happy with good pasta and pretty decent pizza. As long as the kids were fed, we didn't really care that much.

6.Final unsolicited advice - You're spending a lot of money, get the most out of it. Take a ton of photos (we took over a 1000), ask the guides and others to take family shots so you all get in the pictures. Take video and explain what you're seeing because your memory will fade. Keep a journal while there - it was the best thing I did because each day is so packed with experiences. Read before you go so you know the history around the places and things you'll see and include your kids. Go for the optional walk around Paris before the Louvre. Explore on your own - you'll be jetlagged and tired but you'll be in London & Paris - sleep on the plane home. Walk through the neighborhoods and explore. Climb to the top of everything. Ride the London Eye and explore the County Hall area (pay 6 pounds to jump on the huge trampolines). Learn some French. (I can't tell you how much restaurant servers and people in shops appreciated it when we tried to speak French, even poorly. My 10 year old would ask for things in French all the time based on the little he learned from tapes before going and he was treated so well! Once you make an effort, they'll gladly speak English to you AND treat you well. I watched what happened to an American woman at Notre Dame who just kept speaking louder and angrily in English to the cashier - it doesn't work out well.) Add a day in Paris if you want to see the Louvre for more than an 1 1/2 hours, see any other museum or do anything not on the tour schedule. Drink hot chocolate in Paris, even if it's summer, you'll never forget it.

Wow, ACMom! Great advice. This trip is definitely on my list (almost went this year!) I'll be sure & take your Unsolicited advice!

Sayhello

Thanks, Pakey! Do you think 2 days was about right to see most everything? I don't know if we are going to do any major traveling besides the Yosemite trip this summer, but I've scheduled vacation for the first week of August just in case I come across a good airfare and decide to do the K&L Gateway. If we go, DS said he definitely wants to see Disneyland Paris and I think I do too!

Sorry I didn't see this earlier to answer this question. We went in off season, late September and 2 days was plenty for us because DLRP was not crowded on our first day there (Friday). We were able to do every ride/attraction at the one park on that day because there were no lines for anything. Saturday was much busier but still not like what I was used to at WDW or DLR on a Saturday. And I can't compare to what it might be like if you are going at a time when school is out.

I spent a bit of time on the Disneyland Paris boards here before we went and they were so helpful. Most of them felt 2 days was sufficient.

ACmom, thank you so much for your candid comments. My 9yo son and I are going on K&L in July and your comments about the food addressed one of my main concerns about the trip. It would be a tragedy to go to London and Paris and not eat good food! I've been making restaurant plans around the ABD meals, now I'm thinking of skipping the Harrod's tea to give us another restaurant opportunity. Did anyone skip the tea on your trip?

What time did the group return from Versailles? That is our only free night in Paris and I'd like to know what time I can make dinner rez.

Unfortunately, it appears this year we'll be in the Hilton Arc de Triomphe, which I've heard is not as nice as the Renaissance AdT.

I wish we had more time on our own to explore and eat. Sounds like maybe the K&L Gateway would have been a better fit for us. Oh well, I'm sure we'll have fun.

ACmom, thank you so much for your candid comments. My 9yo son and I are going on K&L in July and your comments about the food addressed one of my main concerns about the trip. It would be a tragedy to go to London and Paris and not eat good food! I've been making restaurant plans around the ABD meals, now I'm thinking of skipping the Harrod's tea to give us another restaurant opportunity. Did anyone skip the tea on your trip?

What time did the group return from Versailles? That is our only free night in Paris and I'd like to know what time I can make dinner rez.

Unfortunately, it appears this year we'll be in the Hilton Arc de Triomphe, which I've heard is not as nice as the Renaissance AdT.

I wish we had more time on our own to explore and eat. Sounds like maybe the K&L Gateway would have been a better fit for us. Oh well, I'm sure we'll have fun.

No one skipped the tea on our tour. You take the double decker bus from Buckingham Palace to Harrod's. I suppose you could always just go to the Tube station right next to Harrod's or explore the Kensington area instead. You might like the tea... If you're looking to gain some free time, this is a good place if you don't mind skipping it. You do have more free time in London than Paris. Definitely take your son to the London Eye and the British Museum if you have time.

We returned from Versailles well before 6, maybe earlier. This is a great night to go to the Arc de Triomphe as it stays open late. We heard fantastic things about dinner cruises along the Seine at night.

I've heard really good things about the Hilton. I don't know why they made the switch but we were switched 2 times before we left - from the Hilton to the Westin and finally to the Renaissance (I think we were called 2 weeks before we left).

Don't regret K&L. For us, the Gateway trip would have been much less fun and not worth the cost difference. We stayed in really nice hotels, the 1st class Eurostar trip was excellent, and we wouldn't have wanted to miss the trip to Versailles. The palace and grounds are breathtaking. The lunch was one of the best we had and biking through the grounds together will be one of those precious life long family memories. We would have had a really different trip if we did the Gateway. Enjoy every minute of it with your son - he'll remember it forever.

ACmom, thanks again for your thoughts. It will be our second ABD so I know we'll be well cared for and will have a good time. It's just that on this trip there is so much more to do in these locations than what's covered in the itinerary that I'm a little frazzled trying to fit in everything I/we want to do.

We'll probably do the Natural History museum rather than the British Museum as my son is more interested in nature rather than history. It's near Harrod's, so maybe we'll just duck out of the tea early. He says he has no interest in the London Eye, but he may change his mind when he sees it in person. What time do we need to meet back up for the Lion King?

Is there time to go to the top of the Arc de Triomphe after the welcome dinner? I was hoping to save the night after Versailles for going somewhere nice for dinner.

I didn't do an ABD, but I DID spend a month in Paris, and a week alone, so here are my tips:

I strongly suggest learning at least basic French. It's a huge plus. I brought along a little phrasebook I bought for about 8 Euros, and it has PICTURES and the French/English underneath. It's useful just in case you get lost on your way home from wandering around the city.

Definitely read up on French history so you know the significance of what you're looking at. It's really easy to become overwhelmed.

Eat lots of croissants. Eat macarons. Eat foie gras. I live in NY now and I'm such a French food snob, I can't even bring myself to step inside the Boulangerie Patisserie in the EPCOT pavillion.

If you are flying out of CDG, BUY THINGS IN THE DUTY FREE SHOPS! The terminal I flew out of had a TON of shops and I basically ran through and bought lots of souvenirs for the family. They have EVERYTHING, from Laduree pastries to foie gras, to fun candies.

If you have a fashionista back home in the States, buy her a French Vogue magazine. They sell them in the airport. I bought one for my cousin and she practically fell over. She still shows it to all of her friends.

Take tons of pictures and have fun! :goodvibes

I decided to go with the Tauck Discovery Castles and Kings tour. They do Windsor castle and Versaille and is one night longer. I will report back on the boards when I have finished. I will be keeping a pen and pencil journal while there and will write a report when I get back.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter