Keurig

He just drinks gas station coffee now. Like from speedway. He doesn't go fancy but does add flavored creamers I think. He started drinking it last summer when he was working with a conservation group so I'm sure it was plain coffee, nothing fancy. I thought the Keirig would be simple because I doubt he would ever have more than one cup at all time. I also thought it would be handy in case he decides to go away to school.

What kind of conservation group? If he is big into environmental caues, I'd recommend a French Press. The Keurig creates a lot of unnecessary waste if using k-cups.

And if you want him to use it through college, assume more than one cup at a time :)

I love my keurig, but hate the cost of the pods. Cheapest I can find are the Walmart brand at $.33 a cup. Not the best tasting coffee, but passable. Name brand coffee is $.50 to $.90 a cup. These taste great. Cheaper than speed mart but not by much.

I'm on my third machine now. First one was the basic keurig. It lasted a year. Second one was the one made by cuisinart. It also lasted one year, but they replaced it under warranty. I've had this one about two years now.

I think the key to great coffee is to use good water. I have a reverse osmosis water filter I use.

I agree, Keurig coffee is expensive and doesn't taste very good. I have family members who use them and I am always happy to get back to my coffee maker at home. To be fair, I have a serious love of coffee though. Maybe a teen doesn't care as much about the taste and more for the convenience. A French press would be the way to go.

Get the refillable filter (basket). The coffee will taste better and cost way cheaper per cup.

When mine gave out I just went out and got a single cup coffee maker. I think it is easier.

Not sure this will change anyone's opinion, but the inventor of the K-Cup (John Sylvan) regrets creating them and doesn't even own a machine that uses his invention. He believes they are too wasteful and too expensive. Here's an interesting article that discusses the economics of the machine:

http://time.com/money/3733586/k-cups-price-cost-comparison-coffee/

For anyone who doesn't have the time to read it, here are a few items of note:
  • One analysis has K-Cups costing the equivalent of $40/pound. (Bags of mid-range coffee like Gevalia, Lavazza, or Starbucks usually costs $9-13 per pound.)
  • Other number-crunchers determined K-Cups cost 2 to 3 times more per cup compared to traditional brewed coffee.
  • For example, if your household drank 3 cups of Caribou coffee every day for one year, the K-Cups would cost $723. The same amount using a regular coffee make would only cost $307.
Personally, I'm a bit of a coffee snob. The K-Cup version is never as good as old-fashioned drip coffee. If someone is drinking more than one or two 8-ounce servings a day, I'd go with a regular coffee maker. It's cheaper, better for the environment, and the coffee tastes better.

Not sure this will change anyone's opinion, but the inventor of the K-Cup (John Sylvan) regrets creating them and doesn't even own a machine that uses his invention. He believes they are too wasteful and too expensive. Here's an interesting article that discusses the economics of the machine:

http://time.com/money/3733586/k-cups-price-cost-comparison-coffee/

For anyone who doesn't have the time to read it, here are a few items of note:
  • One analysis has K-Cups costing the equivalent of $40/pound. (Bags of mid-range coffee like Gevalia, Lavazza, or Starbucks usually costs $9-13 per pound.)
  • Other number-crunchers determined K-Cups cost 2 to 3 times more per cup compared to traditional brewed coffee.
  • For example, if your household drank 3 cups of Caribou coffee every day for one year, the K-Cups would cost $723. The same amount using a regular coffee make would only cost $307.
Personally, I'm a bit of a coffee snob. The K-Cup version is never as good as old-fashioned drip coffee. If someone is drinking more than one or two 8-ounce servings a day, I'd go with a regular coffee maker. It's cheaper, better for the environment, and the coffee tastes better.
Interesting information..but I do think what you have mentioned could be applied to any of the single serve coffee makers that are similar to Keurig..it's not just them.

I have the single serve model of Keurig. No big deal at all to pour in 8-10oz of water when I want a cup of coffee. Love my keurig and that model works will all k-cups.

ETA: we have a regular drip coffee maker also. We only use our keurig for afternoon coffee, hot chocolate, teas and weekends. There are three of us in my house drinking coffee every morning.

I use San Francisco Bay coffee, their "pods" are biodegradable. I pay less than 50 cents per cup so I'm not really worried about the cost. Yes it is more expensive than brewing a traditional pot of coffee but just like many other things in life, you pay for convenience.

I bought a single serve cup Sunbeam coffee maker a couple of years ago because I balked at paying the price for a Keurig. I think I paid $30 for it. It lets you use coffee grounds instead of the single serve cups.

I bought a single serve cup Sunbeam coffee maker a couple of years ago because I balked at paying the price for a Keurig. I think I paid $30 for it. It lets you use coffee grounds instead of the single serve cups.
can you also use the pods?

I'm not sure if you can still get the "1.0" Keurig's, but if you can, that would be good for him. They would be less expensive and aren't nearly as finnicky about the pods you can use. They're also much less of a maintenance nightmare (the 2.0's seem to get clogged much more frequently)

I'm not sure if you can still get the "1.0" Keurig's, but if you can, that would be good for him. They would be less expensive and aren't nearly as finnicky about the pods you can use. They're also much less of a maintenance nightmare (the 2.0's seem to get clogged much more frequently)
That would likely be my choice. However I have started looking at some 4 cup drip models instead of keirig. My son is not a name brand snob at all. So we will see what I end up with!

Those of you who are concerned about the environment should check out a pour-over coffee dripper. I am the only coffee drinker in our house - I used to use a French press, but after my kids broke the 2nd one I bought a ceramic pour-over dripper. . They can make a single cup, create little waste (you can buy a permanent filter or use biodegradable paper ones), and they are really easy to use. I heat up the water in my kettle and my coffee is ready in 2 minutes!

I, myself have an espresso machine and separate ceramic burr grinder. I've never had coffee from a Keurig so I can't personally attest to the quality.

Its super weak. Much weaker than even Gas Station Coffee.

Also if he drinks more than a cup, 5 to 6 ozs not 8, and you don't have a pod mug machine that uses more expensive larger pods, its even weaker. So for a 12oz mug you would need two K cups and still have a weak mug of coffee.

Last edited:
I use a single cup pour over coffee funnel thing and usually grid my own with a burr grinder.

Oh and I got my son "hooked" on Starbucks bottled coffee drinks. He's 24 he can handle it.

can you also use the pods?

The one that i've got doesn't have any provision for using the pod cups.

I've never tried opening up a pod and dumping the contents into the hopper that holds the coffee grounds. I usually buy a bag or can of grounds and just put two tablespoons in the hopper.

Last edited:

Also if he drinks more than a cup, 5 to 6 ozs not 8, and you don't have a pod mug machine that uses more expensive larger pods, its even weaker. So for a 12oz mug you would need two K cups and still have a weak mug of coffee.

My keurig brews 10oz cups, and I've never found the coffee to be weak.

My keurig brews 10oz cups, and I've never found the coffee to be weak.

Weak is a relative term.

But I can't imagine 10 ozs of coffee coming out of one of those little pods that has less than the amount of coffee most directions say is for a 6 oz cup (one to two tablespoons).

Weak is a relative term.

But I can't imagine 10 ozs of coffee coming out of one of those little pods that has less than the amount of coffee most directions say is for a 6 oz cup (one to two tablespoons).

You sure made it sound like all coffee from a Keurig is weak in this post below, and that you knew from experience.

There are a few K-cup brands that I dislike because they are too strong. There are some that are too weak. I've never made a cup under 10oz since it isn't enough in the morning.
Given the choices, pretty much anyone, even coffee snobs could find one they like.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter