Keurig

kymom99

DIS Veteran
My teen son has started drinking coffee. We are not coffee drinkers in our house. I thought about buying him a Keirig for Christmas. Can anyone help me figure out which model to buy? I don't want to spend a fortune and I also want one that is easy to use. I read where the newest ones don't work with the reusable baskets. Any help is appreciated.

What kind of coffee beverages is your son drinking? Just drip coffee? Cappuccinos? Lattes? French press?

I ask because a Keurig only fulfills the job of making drip coffee, and depending on who you ask, it's a step down from using a drip coffee maker in terms of freshness and taste unless you use the reusable basket and grind your own beans...and if you do that it's not any easier than a drip machine. If he's drinking anything from Starbucks or other coffee shop, he's most likely having lattes, cappuccinos, etc and a Keurig won't be suitable. If he's interested in quality plain coffee, a French press would be the way to go but it isn't as quick as a Keurig. I would buy a Keurig with a water tank so he doesn't have to pour water in each time and I'd make sure the model you get can accept the refillable pods in case he decides to grind his own coffee (and you'll also need a grinder for that). If he drinks more than a single cup at a time, it financially makes more sense to buy a drip coffee maker...that is my mom's biggest gripe about it...it's convenient but my folks each drink 2 cups in the morning so they use 4 k cups per day and she also says the old drip coffee tasted better/fresher.

I, myself have an espresso machine and separate ceramic burr grinder. I've never had coffee from a Keurig so I can't personally attest to the quality.

Last edited:
I am the only coffee drinker in my house. I have the single serve model. Very easy to use. I like simple, not a lot of buttons to push and gadgets. I've had it for years now and like it a lot.

Bodum french press is much cheaper, better for the environment, and makes infinitely better coffee.

Whatever model you go for just know Keurig machines have gone way down in price over the years especially as other companies have been making their single-serve coffee makers.

Even the Keurig 2.0 (can do a travel mug and has a separate spot for a carafe) is already less than what it was when it was first released fall 2014. I haven't checked the price lately but our local Costco has the Keurig 2.0.

I agree, Keurig coffee is expensive and doesn't taste very good. I have family members who use them and I am always happy to get back to my coffee maker at home. To be fair, I have a serious love of coffee though. Maybe a teen doesn't care as much about the taste and more for the convenience. A French press would be the way to go.

If he is a coffee snob, then you better go with something else LOL. A french press makes a wonderful cup of coffee, but a Keurig can make a pretty good one too.
There is nothing wrong with coffee from a Keurig, there are TONS of options out there, some horrible, some great.

I have a Keurig K250 because I didn't want the bulky one but needed one that had a decent sized water reservoir. For someone that has limited counter space its very nice. The 2.0 series can use a removable basket since Keurig makes one for it. I'm not sure about off brands though, you'd probably have to check. If you do give him one of those, give him a coffee grinder too so he can grind his own. The already ground stuff isn't fine enough IMO to give you a nice strong cup of coffee. Obviously tastes vary so for him it may be ok.

I live my full size keurig, bought my mom, ds18, and dd20 the single ones, and they are great. I used to have an expensive carafe coffee maker, but I definitely prefer the k cups (jet fuel is my favorite). They are great to bring to college.

He just drinks gas station coffee now. Like from speedway. He doesn't go fancy but does add flavored creamers I think. He started drinking it last summer when he was working with a conservation group so I'm sure it was plain coffee, nothing fancy. I thought the Keirig would be simple because I doubt he would ever have more than one cup at all time. I also thought it would be handy in case he decides to go away to school.

He just drinks gas station coffee now. Like from speedway. He doesn't go fancy but does add flavored creamers I think. He started drinking it last summer when he was working with a conservation group so I'm sure it was plain coffee, nothing fancy. I thought the Keirig would be simple because I doubt he would ever have more than one cup at all time. I also thought it would be handy in case he decides to go away to school.

Then he will be fine with a Keurig. Get one with a water reservoir. The smaller ones that need to have a cup of water added each time are just annoying.

I got DD a small one ($50 w Kohls 30% off and it came in colors!) It was great because she had a small space and it takes up less room. It's good for dorm rooms with limited space. She doesn't like to use water than has been sitting in the Keurig so that wasn't an issue with the smaller one, it does hold less than the larger model that I have.

We got my son a Hamilton Beach single serve coffee maker for his dorm room last Black Friday. It uses Kcups and we also bought him a reusable filter cup. I believe we paid less than $20, it might have only been $15. He uses it daily and has had no issues.

Oh and it's really tiny since space is at a premium for him.

We got my son a Hamilton Beach single serve coffee maker for his dorm room last Black Friday. It uses Kcups and we also bought him a reusable filter cup. I believe we paid less than $20, it might have only been $15. He uses it daily and has had no issues.

Oh and it's really tiny since space is at a premium for him.
In-laws have that and they don't mind it at all.

Well in that case, a Keurig sounds like a great idea for him. :)

If he is a coffee snob, then you better go with something else LOL. A french press makes a wonderful cup of coffee, but a Keurig can make a pretty good one too.

There is nothing wrong with coffee from a Keurig, there are TONS of options out there, some horrible, some great.

I have a Keurig K250 because I didn't want the bulky one but needed one that had a decent sized water reservoir. For someone that has limited counter space its very nice. The 2.0 series can use a removable basket since Keurig makes one for it. I'm not sure about off brands though, you'd probably have to check. If you do give him one of those, give him a coffee grinder too so he can grind his own. The already ground stuff isn't fine enough IMO to give you a nice strong cup of coffee. Obviously tastes vary so for him it may be ok.

Agree, TONS of options. There will be some you like and not like just like any other coffee. We have several in the family, DD doesn't even drink coffee, she uses for hot tea etc.

Look at amazon, they have a decent variety of BULK, 50-80 count. Also warehouse clubs will sell a small variety in bulk. You can save lots if you like one of those flavors.

I had read reviews where the 2.0 series didn't take off brands and I also read they don't have the option of a reusable thing where you use your own coffee. I don't want to spend a lot for a 17 year old if you know what I mean. He rarely asks for much so I have to think hard to come up with stuff for him. I'll look into the k250. Thanks!

I have an older Keurig, and it is PERFECT for a home with a single coffee drinker. Even my 4 cup Cuisinart drip maker meant I was throwing away half the coffee every morning (and trying to measure out the right amount for 2 cups never quite tasted right.

Now, I drink one cup in the mornings Mon-Fri, and two on Saturday and Sunday, so an 18 pack of kcups lasts me two weeks.

Also, maybe I just have a crappy resuable basket, but it ALWAYS puts grounds into my cup, so I gave up on it.

I had read reviews where the 2.0 series didn't take off brands and I also read they don't have the option of a reusable thing where you use your own coffee. I don't want to spend a lot for a 17 year old if you know what I mean. He rarely asks for much so I have to think hard to come up with stuff for him. I'll look into the k250. Thanks!
With the 2.0 they closed the loophole of allowing off brand single-serve coffee cups so you only use Keurig branded K-cups in addition to ones branded for use in 2.0 machines.

From Wikipedia: The 2.0 has a digital lock-out and technology to prevent old or unlicensed pods being used in the brewer. The Keurig 2.0 K-Cup pods come in 400 varieties from 60 brands, K-Carafe, and K-Mug pods encompass 500 varieties from 75 brands. The 2.0 brewer also has the capacity to brew full carafes in three settings from 2 to 5 cups, via the use of the new K-Carafe pod. There is also the K-Mug pod, a recyclable pod which brews large travel mug–sized portions.The K-Mug pods, for use in the Keurig 2.0 brewing system, brew 12-, 14-, and 16-ounce cups, and the plastic is recyclable.

There is also the K200, a smaller Keurig 2.0 model that can brew single cups or four-cup carafes and comes in a variety of colors.

So if your son wants to be able to shop around and not have to use K-cups the 2.0 would not be the best option.

You might go to a store like Bed, Bath and Beyond or Walmart to take a look at the single serve coffee machines available.

With the 2.0 they closed the loophole of allowing off brand single-serve coffee cups so you only use Keurig branded K-cups in addition to ones branded for use in 2.0 machines.

From Wikipedia: The 2.0 has a digital lock-out and technology to prevent old or unlicensed pods being used in the brewer. The Keurig 2.0 K-Cup pods come in 400 varieties from 60 brands, K-Carafe, and K-Mug pods encompass 500 varieties from 75 brands. The 2.0 brewer also has the capacity to brew full carafes in three settings from 2 to 5 cups, via the use of the new K-Carafe pod. There is also the K-Mug pod, a recyclable pod which brews large travel mug–sized portions.The K-Mug pods, for use in the Keurig 2.0 brewing system, brew 12-, 14-, and 16-ounce cups, and the plastic is recyclable.

There is also the K200, a smaller Keurig 2.0 model that can brew single cups or four-cup carafes and comes in a variety of colors.

So if your son wants to be able to shop around and not have to use K-cups the 2.0 would not be the best option.

You might go to a store like Bed, Bath and Beyond or Walmart to take a look at the single serve coffee machines available.
I was researching a little more and think the k55 might fit our needs

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter