Just back; short observations and strategies

Mome Rath

3 Decade Disney Traveler
1) Crowds on July 5th and 6th were a shock to me. There weren't really any. It was more sparse than I have experienced on my "off season" trips in the past 2 years. Now, on the 7th and 8th it picked up for sure and the crowds were thicker.

2) Tons of "Pixie Dust" on my birthday, more than I've experienced on any past trips. I don't want to go into specifics as these were extra things, and not everyone will get them. I've been on many many trips and there is always Disney Magic, but this is one of the only trips where I got to experience the extra's first hand.

3) It is going to rain in July (it was always around 3 - 8 pm hit or miss) and it is hot hot hot (drink water, stay in the shade, even when you are from somewhere with comparable temps, the sun in Florida is more intense on Northern skin lol). Sometimes it rains fiercely, sometimes a minor drizzle (check 2 different weather sources, the local news was the best). Moreover, it is not guaranteed to clear the parks out. Further, this was the only time I feel the Cast Members "slipped" and were somewhat frustrated and let it show. You'd think they would be used to it by now;

4) Bring extra patience when it is going to rain. The guests are going to be more annoying and the Cast Members are apparently more annoyed, which confused me a bit. When it is raining, of course people are going to rush to shops, and/or the entrances and exits to rides. Guests are going to be cranky, hot, and wet, and they do not want more water on their heads. Cast Members became loud and shrill when it wasn't doing any good, besides adding to the guests' annoyance and bad attitudes. Should people get out of the way of the aisles, yes. Should people be aware, calm, and courteous, yes. But it's not gonna happen. Go prepared with the right shoes, pants, and rain gear.

5) Truly, besides the rain, the Cast Members were happy, helpful, and competent.

6) Bathrooms were fine. Most of them were really good, there was maybe a few stalls where the guests didn't or couldn't flush, but that was about it, I always saw at least one attendant on duty.

7) This trip made me love FP + even more than I already did. Easy to change on the fly and I did so, often.

8) Had an ADR at Be Our Guest breakfast for 8:40. Got let into the park really early (around 7:45 or so), and walked right back to BoG. There were photographers all along mainstreet. Reached BoG and got let in right at 8 when they opened, was really neat to be cheered into the restaurant for opening. lol Ate with plenty of time to spare, headed right to Dwarves, and rode 2 times in a row. You enter into the fastpass lane and walk right on through. As soon as the park opened to guests, the standby line was insane, once that starts happening, no more free rides. lol

9) The Monorail was never down while I was there, it ran on schedule and that is the transportation we took to the BoG ressie.

10) Really liked the new hub and the biggest construction interference in the Disney bubble was Norway, and the area by Adventure land were they are building the new restaurant area I believe. Overall, though, nothing too bad. One thing that does still disappoint me is that they put the frozen stage where the hat was; hated the hat, hate the stage.

11) I love the Pandora store, and have a Disney bracelet; the cast members there were excellent. They had all the park exclusives that had been released up until now.

12) Security was much tighter than normal; they had the sniffer dogs out every now and again, and there were state police here and there at entrances. They searched bags much more thoroughly and yes, they were after selfie sticks too, and I saw one confiscated.

13) Rope drop still rocks esp. for anything that isn't Dwarves or Elsa and Anna.

Awesome awesome trip!

UPDATE: Just received a lengthy survey about Studios (I was stopped by Clipboard Castmember and asked to participate on Monday).

Last edited:
Good report, thank you. Sounds like you have a magical trip. I like it when it rains, we usually just don our rain gear, which we always have with us, and keep on keeping on.

Always love to hear positive "just back" posts. Glad you had a nice trip. Makes me even more excited about our November trip.

Good report, thank you. Sounds like you have a magical trip. I like it when it rains, we usually just don our rain gear, which we always have with us, and keep on keeping on.

This is what we did this time, except for the first night as some of our gear was still in our luggage that hadn't arrived yet! lol

1) Crowds on July 5th and 6th were a shock to me. There weren't really any. It was more sparse than I have experienced on my "off season" trips in the past 2 years. Now, on the 7th and 8th it picked up for sure and the crowds were thicker.

I was there 6/30 to 7/3 and, having been in July (and on July 4) many times in the past, I too was SHOCKED at the reasonable crowds! In a great way! HAPPY SHOCKED!

I don't know what it is, not gonna question it, but I LOVE it.

Sounds like a great trip!
Question...where is the Pandora store? I didn't know there was a store...!!

4) Bring extra patience when it is going to rain. The guests are going to be more annoying and the Cast Members are apparently more annoyed, which confused me a bit. When it is raining, of course people are going to rush to shops, and/or the entrances and exits to rides. Guests are going to be cranky, hot, and wet, and they do not want more water on their heads. Cast Members became loud and shrill when it wasn't doing any good, besides adding to the guests' annoyance and bad attitudes. Should people get out of the way of the aisles, yes. Should people be aware, calm, and courteous, yes. But it's not gonna happen. Go prepared with the right shoes, pants, and rain gear.

What I bolded above is something I disagree with massively. This is a safety issue that Disney really needs to start taking more seriously. Maybe the reason the cast members are yelling is becasue Disney is telling them that they need to keep their aisles clear but if it isn't working then Disney needs to start getting their security people on that and if necessary start removing people from the park if they refuse to move out of entry ways. Imagine what would happen if an emergency occurred during some of these 5 to 6 people deep blocking the entrance/exit times. There are some things that should trump even good customer service and magic and keeping aisles and exits clear for safety is one of them.

Sounds like a great trip!
Question...where is the Pandora store? I didn't know there was a store...!!

It's in Uptown Jewelers on Mainstreet, with their own section of the store. They have a much wider selection of general Pandora beads, rings, etc... just like you wold find in a Pandora store elsewhere! Also, the castmembers there are trained to help with Pandora merch specifically.

What I bolded above is something I disagree with massively. This is a safety issue that Disney really needs to start taking more seriously. Maybe the reason the cast members are yelling is becasue Disney is telling them that they need to keep their aisles clear but if it isn't working then Disney needs to start getting their security people on that and if necessary start removing people from the park if they refuse to move out of entry ways. Imagine what would happen if an emergency occurred during some of these 5 to 6 people deep blocking the entrance/exit times. There are some things that should trump even good customer service and magic and keeping aisles and exits clear for safety is one of them.

That's my point; what they are doing is not working. Yelling at the people is actually making it worse because the guests become more stubborn and more resolute in not budging. I saw it almost every day. Just like with a child; don't escalate a confrontation unless you can guarantee you can "win" in the situation. In this case I don't see a castmember winning against a whole crowd without someone in security gear shooing everyone back. They shouldn't have to yell, as guests should respond responsibly, but they don't.

That's my point; what they are doing is not working. Yelling at the people is actually making it worse because the guests become more stubborn and more resolute in not budging. I saw it almost every day. Just like with a child; don't escalate a confrontation unless you can guarantee you can "win" in the situation. In this case I don't see a castmember winning against a whole crowd without someone in security gear shooing everyone back. They shouldn't have to yell, as guests should respond responsibly, but they don't.

Honestly the answer of when they are going to win is when they start being willing to kick someone out without a refund of any kind for not listening. Until then Disney is going to see people flamboyantly going against their rules more and more. Since right now 90% of the time if you just refuse to do what you are told nothing is going to come out of it. If they start kicking people out of the park for these types of things I bet many more people will start to listen when told they cannot do something. However that means disney has to be willing to lose a little money in order to do what is right.

However that is alot less money then they will lose if there is an emergency and someone sues because emergency procedures couldn't be followed because Disney failed to keep people from blocking an exit.

Yes, but the blame falls on the guests and/or Disney management, not the CMs. They are trying to do the right thing in the face of obstinate / petulant people who refuse to behave as adults and do not have the authority to make those guests comply. Should they just ignore the problem because the guests refuse to move? They only have one weapon - their tone of voice and volume.

Glad that you had a great trip. Thanks for sharing.

Just got back also .. So true about the weather the 3 H's ... And rains every afternoon and could last into the night.

The July 4 fireworks at Epcot were the most unreal thing we ever seen and we were at the MK the night before for the caste Mother Nature lighting show that was unreal..

Honestly the answer of when they are going to win is when they start being willing to kick someone out without a refund of any kind for not listening. Until then Disney is going to see people flamboyantly going against their rules more and more. Since right now 90% of the time if you just refuse to do what you are told nothing is going to come out of it. If they start kicking people out of the park for these types of things I bet many more people will start to listen when told they cannot do something. However that means disney has to be willing to lose a little money in order to do what is right.

However that is alot less money then they will lose if there is an emergency and someone sues because emergency procedures couldn't be followed because Disney failed to keep people from blocking an exit.

I agree; that's my perspective. They aren't going to move because our culture now says "you can't make me and I don't want to." The more they try, the least likely the guests will move, unless it is handled completely different. Either there has to be a punishment so great that everyone complies because of the threat, or the approach has to change to get people to respond differently. The selfie stick thing is a good example.

Yes, but the blame falls on the guests and/or Disney management, not the CMs. They are trying to do the right thing in the face of obstinate / petulant people who refuse to behave as adults and do not have the authority to make those guests comply. Should they just ignore the problem because the guests refuse to move? They only have one weapon - their tone of voice and volume.

Glad that you had a great trip. Thanks for sharing.

I do agree that the blame isn't on the individual cast members (although I have see individual CM's that were not acting respectfully to people who were not trying to break a rule, esp. foreign guests who don't speak the language in that case the CM's were rude, but that is very very rare), I was mainly pointing this out to agree with those that say the training for them has been short changed. They are not trained adequately in crowd management, which is actually as much about psychology as it is brute force (or vocal force). One female cast member could herd a large crowd, but not by yelling in most cases.

Thanks, it was a blast!

Great report! I am glad you had a fun trip!

What areas of the park are you allowed into early if you have breakfast at BOG?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter