Just back from a spilt stay Universal/Disney..... here's what I learned.

I was shocked that we waited so long in the EP line. It was not at all what I thought I paid for. It was annoying. Maybe I should ask for a refund.

Refunds aren't possible.

Did you ask any TM why every single ride in both parks with EP had such a queue? Because, I honestly have never seen that in all my visits there..........

This thread is very helpful as I am in the beginning stages of planning a Universal only trip next year.

It would seem people's experiences with Express Pass vary based on time of year?

I'm planning a trip the week before Presidents Day. Is it crowded that time of year?
I was thinking to just book Cabana Bay as EP may not be that valuable.
when ever the parks open at 7:00 am for the onsite hotel guests, it's a sign that parks will have high attendance
check the park date calendar at UO to check it out in advance.
if you go in a high attendance period, stay on site at one of the 3 deluxe hotels.

also go to the ticket page section and see what the cost of the ep's cost.
if the prices are high, that means they expect crowds.
one park could have a low cost while the other is
higher in cost.
just buy the ep for the high priced park ep.
the other park could be done with out much line waits and use the srl for them.

Thank you for your reply. With the GAC card I get a return time with Disney. I cannot wait in line you see for very long. Using this invaluable system the most we have ever then waited is 15 mins. The last time I went to Universal they offered no system like this. If this has changed now I would be all over that like a rash. In general though the parks are not as accessible as Disney. Try diagon Alley in a wheelchair...
the GAP that UO offers is workable for those that need it.
it is issued at Guest Services and can be extended for all dates of your stay when it is set up.
park is ADA accessible . for some places you can transfer to one of their wc if need be.
talking about leaving your chair for a smaller one the TM can push you to right next to the ride so you can get on easier.
elevators are available for the rides that have stairs for reaching some of the rides.

GS gives you a card that is shown to the TM at the end of the entrance line.
if the line in express is 30 minutes less wait for the ride, you enter the express line then.
if the wait is over 30 minutes, a return time is written down on the card and you return anytime after the listed time.
the TM, upon your return will have you enter the express line.

can't stack return times but you can use the GAP your entire stay.
You can add your family members/ friends on it and all will do the ride with you.

no medical verificatin is necessary.
just explain your limitations to the TM at GS and it will be given to you.

This system has been in effect for quite a few years.
I had to use it in 2009 when i was using a wc in the parks for hhn.

if a person is unable to do stairs, the GAP can be used to use the elevators for a ride.
the card is designed to help you enjoy the park

there is a section on the UO website that explains the policy of obtaining the GAP

the GAP that UO offers is workable for those that need it.
it is issued at Guest Services and can be extended for all dates of your stay when it is set up.
park is ADA accessible . for some places you can transfer to one of their wc if need be.
talking about leaving your chair for a smaller one the TM can push you to right next to the ride so you can get on easier.
elevators are available for the rides that have stairs for reaching some of the rides.

GS gives you a card that is shown to the TM at the end of the entrance line.
if the line in express is 30 minutes less wait for the ride, you enter the express line then.
if the wait is over 30 minutes, a return time is written down on the card and you return anytime after the listed time.
the TM, upon your return will have you enter the express line.

can't stack return times but you can use the GAP your entire stay.
You can add your family members/ friends on it and all will do the ride with you.

no medical verificatin is necessary.
just explain your limitations to the TM at GS and it will be given to you.

This system has been in effect for quite a few years.
I had to use it in 2009 when i was using a wc in the parks for hhn.

if a person is unable to do stairs, the GAP can be used to use the elevators for a ride.
the card is designed to help you enjoy the park

there is a section on the UO website that explains the policy of obtaining the GAP

Thank you most useful.

OP--Thanks for the tip on the Garden Grill and Soarin. I was just able to snag an ADR for 8:35 am, so we will aim to be to Epcot by 8:00. Which side of the park entrance is the line for pre-opening dining? Left or right?

The problem with some of these comparisons it is Apples versus Oranges.

Universal is "better" now in a lot of ways because they are the underdog. Less crowds, smaller parks, less attractions. Their express pass "works" since they don't have a capacity issue like Disney. They can "give it away" to draw people to their hotels (as opposed to people just driving over from Disney resorts).

Comparing Cabana Bay and Pop Century (from a noise perspective?) .. again apples to oranges. Comparing the cheapest hotel in Disney to a more "resort"-like hotel isn't really fair.

All that being said, I think US is really starting to cut into Disney's market share as Disney gets more crowded with less "value" for the dollar. I was impressed with Hogsmeade when I saw it and the speed that they built Diagon Alley and Hogsmeade. I am curious what this new Kong attraction is like too.
I'm guessing you maybe haven't been very recently?

Cabana Bay and Pop are rather comparable. I'm not sure what you mean, but CB is newer, and I'm sure US very much built it with this comparison in mind, so that guests would rate it a little above Pop and AoA. I'm thinking SF will draw similar comparisons to the mods very soon.

US has approx. 34 of what I'd call real attractions/shows (plus a couple minor shows, like the Blues Brothers). MK has about 29. Being generous, Epcot has about 17, HS about 14, and AK about 13. (again, I didn't count very minor things like Casey's splash as attractions, but did count the Treehouse in MK).

So Us = 34/73, or just under half the number of attractions as WDW (46.5%). I'll give WDW the edge on fireworks, but US often has bigger name concerts.

But I the real thing that many of us are saying, is that US is less rigid, and more relaxing.

If you dropped me in Orlando tomorrow, I could easily tour US, at WDW, I'd be shut out of most decent FP.

Which AP do you have at Universal if you don't mind me asking....
Sorry - I should have qualified that we have the premiere AP - also comes with a free ticket to Halloween Horror Nights, and free self or valet parking.

I don't mean to hijack, but, Bumbershoot, I just have a quick question for you regarding price points on RPR. I need to book 2 rooms at a US resort for 4/5-4/8 2017. The price I am seeing for an RPR 2 queen standard right now is around $400 a night. Do you think that is because it is a busy time, or are the prices not discounted for that time yet? I don't know whether to book now or wait, it hurts to think I will have to pay $400 a room/night for 2 rooms. I am considering SF because it is cheaper, even though we won't get the EP. Thoughts?
Have you tried booking through orbitz? Although codes aren't out yet for that far in advance it might be worth keeping on back burner/thoughts. I payed $400/night last year through orbitz (June stay) with discount code-but it was club level-easily worth it to this family of 5 - the breakfast and snacks in afternoon alone were easily worth the extra $100/night.

Security: On Friday all Muggles, Minions and Fairytale creatures started going through metal detectors. At Disney, (4 parks/1day) there were still random scans. This concerns me.

Early entry: I'm not sure its worth it at Universal. It's only the Harry Potter attractions and Universal decides which park to open that day. Harry Potter areas are Amazingly themed and cast are in character. Everything else opens at 9.

For Soarin' Use a PPO reservation at Garden Grill. Go to Garden Grill no matter what time your reservation time is. They will seat you right away. You can have breakfast and be first in line for Soarin'. We were and it was the highlight of the day.

Hotel:Universal Cabana Bay theming is awesome and I didn't hear one door slam or toilet flush. POP needs soundproofing.

Two days at Universal is one too many. Express pass is not Express at all. Love the new fastpass+ especially being able to add as you go.

4 parks/1 day is very doable if you pick your favorites and go with the flow. It was a great day even with the afternoon rain. We left MK and came back later. It was great. We did EPCOT, boat to DHS-we planned to walk but it was 100 degrees, AK then finished with MK. Great day, so much fun.

Seeing The Grand Floridian was very emotional for me.
Thanks for starting this great thread! It was featured in the DIS Daily Fix today! :)

Using the word learned in the title is perhaps a bit strong.

We feel very differently from OP. After many visits to both parks over the years, we NOW feel US is the better experience and better overall value.

Express Pass is SO much more relaxing than current FP and ADR's. With EP, we come an go as we please. With FP and ADR's we always feel like we have to rush to be some place specific at a specific time. US feels relaxed, WDW feels hectic.

HP is a home run; New Fantasyland was a dud. I hope the coming WDW additions are better, but I'm not holding my breath.

Our Experience with EP vs. FP was also very different. Many of our FP+ waits are 30+ min, but our EP waits are almost always 15 or less.

We've also lost track of how many ADRs we've experienced. We do our part, and rush to arrive on time, but WDW doesn't do their part. Our last ADR, we AGAIN waited over 60 min PAST our ADR just to be SEATED, plus another long wait before we had any food. THEN we paid an absurd price! At US, we make reservations less than 48 hours before we want to eat, we're always quickly seated, and the prices are much more reasonable.

US appreciates our business.

I have found the ADRs argument to be very true. We have done many table service meals at Disney, paid absurd prices, waited long past reservation times, and booked dining 6 months in advance. Univeral's table service dining was light years better. Reasonable prices, same day or 24 hours in advance reservations, delicious food, minimal waits, prompt service, they are just not even comparable experiences.

I'm sorry to hear about OP's long EP waits. We have been 5 times during the summer and usually waited 10-15 minutes at most. I remember longer waits at Minions, Shrek, and Transformer, but not much longer. I will say that we only went on the Minions ride when the SB line was around an hour or less. This is not to say that I doubt OP's experience. It is really hard to know if the experience was an outlier or this summer's crowds have made EP not as effective. I agree with Mickeyluv'r and Sarahbelle341 that it's nice to be able to eat without ADRs and schedule FP+s. We have made it a habit to go to Universal at the end of our Orlando vacations, because we've found it easier to tour without the additional planning stress. It is really nice to go to the parks and just pick a ride to go on knowing that the EPs should give us FP+ type waits but without the whole day planned. I can see doing both parks in one day, but we like at least 3, even though we have been quite a bit and are comfortable touring there. That being said, we will be there in 3 weeks and hope that EP times are somewhat close to our other trips, otherwise you might hear about our trip hear in late July.

I worry sometimes that some of Disney's nonsense lately might push some people to spend more time at Universal. I'm sure that would make Universal happy but could affect us at least for a while.

We were there last week staying at the HRH. I think the express pass is fantastic. It is much, much shorter than standby. I don't think we ever waited longer than 20 minutes. Even the Rip Rocket-which I expected to wait forever was less than 20 minutes. Now Minons is forever-ride it late at night-it has a very low capacity. My kids love being able to ride over and over again. In that respect express pass is far better than FP+. I would never go to Universla without it! I think 2 days is more than enough to do everything in the park. Unusually for us we did not arrive in the parks until 11am or so (at Disney, I'm an exclusive rope dropper). The parks closed at 8pm or 9pm. We stayed until closing and rode everything we wanted as many times as we wanted. I like the freedom of express pass.

We are from out of state but bought APs for universal. We always stay on property to get the express passes. I can't remember ever waiting longer than 10 minutes for a ride. For the poster who said they waited 30-40 minutes in an express line I guess you went at a super busy time.

The best trip I took was the first weekend of March this year. No lines & no crowds. We probably rode The Mummy about 15+ times (I was with ds15) in that weekend. Most of the express lines were completely empty. Then We went back & forth on the Hogwarts Express multiple times each day. Later we realized it was Mardi Gras night & had a wonderful evening with a parade & great food! We rode the HP rides so many times that weekend too by using the single rider lines when the regular line got over 15 minutes.

I did get in a WDW trip in mid December. I do like the FP+. But universal just makes the trip so much easier.

OP--Thanks for the tip on the Garden Grill and Soarin. I was just able to snag an ADR for 8:35 am, so we will aim to be to Epcot by 8:00. Which side of the park entrance is the line for pre-opening dining? Left or right?
All the way to the right.

Thank you!

Does anyone know what time CMs are at the International Gateway in the am prior to regular gate opening at Epcot? Trying to time our breakfast resi wih park opening appropriately to take advantage of lining up for Soarin in the am. Thank you!
I would think you would be allowed in around 8, maybe a little before.

For what it's worth - we did 9 nights at HRH at Universal a couple of years back, a few months after Diagon Alley/Gringotts opened - we were some of those insane 'get in line at 5am' people :-)!

We enjoyed the Express Pass feature, and thought it was worth it. Some rides were much longer than others, Minions for sure, I think Shrek was the other.

Going back in a couple of months, three nights at Portofino - loved that pool!

There's nothing more immersive than Diagon Alley - and Forbidden Journey is one of the GREAT rides -- ever! With the train ride, back and forth, just classic. I'm A fan of HP, but by NO stretch a die-hard, but THIS is what brought us back!

Crossing our fingers that Hulk is up and running when we get there! Such an awesome coaster .... now there's a good example of where express pass helped us a lot on our last trip.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter