Just back from a spilt stay Universal/Disney..... here's what I learned.

Our room at RPR was $344.00 I can't remember exactly how much it was with taxes, parking etc, but it was probably close to 400, and it was a standard view.

Security: On Friday all Muggles, Minions and Fairytale creatures started going through metal detectors. At Disney, (4 parks/1day) there were still random scans. This concerns me.

Disney is still mixing it up on how they do the metal detectors.. sometimes it's everyone, sometimes it's not.. most of the time (but not always), no bag is going through the metal detector and bags are random with much more frequency. I kind of like this as it keeps anyone wanting to do harm guessing what to expect and that's when someone is going to slip up and look out of place. Prior to it all be random, I didn't like it but now I really like it.

Also starting last weekend (sunday, fathers day) there was at least double or triple the security out. they are ready for summer crowds and keeping it efficient.

We have an AP at Universal and this allows us one express pass per ride from 4pm on - we have never waited more than ~15 minutes with typical waits of walk-on to 5 minute for most rides. Perhaps the express pass waits are longer during the day - might want to focus on HP land in the morning (headliners don't have express pass) and then tour the other areas afterwards. For what its worth, we find FP+ at Disney pretty variable with some longish waits (more than 15 minutes) for some of the headliners (e.g., Space, ToT, RnR).
Which AP do you have at Universal if you don't mind me asking....

You can use the International Gateway for PPO reservations.

Thank you!

Does anyone know what time CMs are at the International Gateway in the am prior to regular gate opening at Epcot? Trying to time our breakfast resi wih park opening appropriately to take advantage of lining up for Soarin in the am. Thank you!

One other possibility - we were in one express line (spidey, maybe) and it was taking forever. However we were close enough to the front to realize the ride was having issues. It seemed like they were debating whether or not to close it and ran several empty cars. We bailed and came back later and were on in a couple minutes. If we hadn't been close enough to see there was a problem, we might have just thought that the express line was slow.

Also regarding hippogriff which someone mentioned- on the day that park has early entry for on-site guests, pretty much everyone there early in the morning has an express pass. So when the park opens for everyone, the bulk of the people riding it at first have express, so that line builds faster. The non early people are headed to forbidden journey. A team member told us not to use the express on hippogriff until later in the morning for that reason. Ymmv and all that.

I found the Universal hotel comparison at https://www.universalorlando.com/Hotels/On-site-Hotels-Comparison.aspx and it confirms that Universal Express is not included at Cabana Bay. OP, did you purchase it separately? Our previous experience is that Express at Universal when staying at one of the original 3 resorts (we love RPR like others here) makes such a relaxing, extremely minimal lines trip compared to Disney's Fastpass - either past or present.

I found the Universal hotel comparison at https://www.universalorlando.com/Hotels/On-site-Hotels-Comparison.aspx and it confirms that Universal Express is not included at Cabana Bay. OP, did you purchase it separately? Our previous experience is that Express at Universal when staying at one of the original 3 resorts (we love RPR like others here) makes such a relaxing, extremely minimal lines trip compared to Disney's Fastpass - either past or present.
Yes we purchased the Unlimited EP separately. We also had trouble with our tickets both days. Switched them out twice. I love me some Magicbands!!

Yes we purchased the Unlimited EP separately. We also had trouble with our tickets both days. Switched them out twice. I love me some Magicbands!!

I've had such great luck with short waits with our previous EP that was included with our hotel stay, that I probably would have gone back and requested a refund if I'd paid separately for it and encountered long waits! I know there can occasionally be a longer than usual wait, (the log ride comes to mind in the summer), but that's sure disappointing to hear that general waits for so long with EP. :( Thanks for sharing though!

The problem with some of these comparisons it is Apples versus Oranges.

Universal is "better" now in a lot of ways because they are the underdog. Less crowds, smaller parks, less attractions. Their express pass "works" since they don't have a capacity issue like Disney. They can "give it away" to draw people to their hotels (as opposed to people just driving over from Disney resorts).

Comparing Cabana Bay and Pop Century (from a noise perspective?) .. again apples to oranges. Comparing the cheapest hotel in Disney to a more "resort"-like hotel isn't really fair.

All that being said, I think US is really starting to cut into Disney's market share as Disney gets more crowded with less "value" for the dollar. I was impressed with Hogsmeade when I saw it and the speed that they built Diagon Alley and Hogsmeade. I am curious what this new Kong attraction is like too.
I paid more for Pop Century than Cabana Bay and they have similar theming. I think that it makes sense to compare them.

Anyone who thinks express pass means "walk on" or even "front of the line" has a serious misunderstanding of it. It just means a different line than standby and it's almost always shorter.

Our first trip we did Hippogriff 14 times in a row with EP. It was literally freezing so there weren't many there. Standby was 5 min. EP was 2. Basically the time it to to walk through the line.

Most of us on the Uni boards are very careful to NEVER call it "fotl" because that's not the intent of it.

Our first trip was 4 days and we were yearning for more. Our longest was 8 nights and we have to do that again bc ds and I had gotten supersick at WDW and we were still sleeping most of the day and recovering. Thankfully we were Club level at portofino and that fed me and Ds because our stomachs were just not hungry. And they let me take cups of wine back to the room at the wine/beer time.

I truly cannot imagine wanting to do Uni in one day. We keep APs there so sometimes we will drop in between a cruise and a flight home but that's hardly a proper visit.

The question to ask is "how long was standby?" It was almost certainly much much longer.

You and I have nearly opposite views of what a good ride is. :)

As far as I know, when WDW changed from GAC to DAS they ended up with a system very similar to what Uni has had and still has. I'm confused by your post, therefore.

I have never zipped through minions with EP. And I haven't yet gone at a very busy time. Minions has a lot of wait and watch the show moments and everyone goes through them. So there's really no zipping. And I haven't even zipped through the non show part of the line. Fwiw.

Fwiw that's not a normal experience.

Try it once more with EP. Any ride feels cruddy when you wait ages for it.

Ds loved small world in Anaheim until he waited more than an hour in the line at MK. Since then he has such a bad memory of the whole experience he can't separate it out from the wait.

$400 for RPR is either a fancy room or a busy busy time. I wouldn't pay that at all. No hotel is worth that. When you pay less for it you might see how much better it is than a mod at WDW.

Thank you for your reply. With the GAC card I get a return time with Disney. I cannot wait in line you see for very long. Using this invaluable system the most we have ever then waited is 15 mins. The last time I went to Universal they offered no system like this. If this has changed now I would be all over that like a rash. In general though the parks are not as accessible as Disney. Try diagon Alley in a wheelchair...

Thank you for your reply. With the GAC card I get a return time with Disney. I cannot wait in line you see for very long. Using this invaluable system the most we have ever then waited is 15 mins. The last time I went to Universal they offered no system like this. If this has changed now I would be all over that like a rash. In general though the parks are not as accessible as Disney. Try diagon Alley in a wheelchair...

We were just talking about this the other night. I know by law they have to be wheelchair accessible but did notice there were none in Diagon Alley. I did wonder how hard the shops and things there would be to navigate with a whelchair.

I did notice they had a different way to handle it with the Cabana buses. Now of course they don't have as many buses to deal with but they would have 2 buses at the stop. They had the person in the wheelchair and family loading on one bus as they continued loading everyone else on the other. Then the second bus was ready for the rest of the crowd once the first bus was filled. All very seamless.

Thank you I can't wait in line due to my health conditions and last time I went to universal they did not have anything like a DAS card. So this I don't think would work for me.

Universal definitely has a Guest Assistance card. If the line is more than 30 minutes they will give you an exact time to come back and then go into the express line. If it is less than 30 minutes then you can go in right away into the express line.

Also, I took my mother through both parks in a wheelchair and everything was accessible. She rode Gringotts twice. We took her through the entire queue in the wheelchair. She just had to do a different elevator than everyone else. It was the same for Hogwarts Express and Forbidden Journey.

Last edited:
Reactions: CJN
We were just talking about this the other night. I know by law they have to be wheelchair accessible but did notice there were none in Diagon Alley. I did wonder how hard the shops and things there would be to navigate with a whelchair.

I did notice they had a different way to handle it with the Cabana buses. Now of course they don't have as many buses to deal with but they would have 2 buses at the stop. They had the person in the wheelchair and family loading on one bus as they continued loading everyone else on the other. Then the second bus was ready for the rest of the crowd once the first bus was filled. All very seamless.

That is good news about the buses! Thank you for information. The stores and cobbled streets made diagon Alley very difficult. I have been to the studios here in England where they have the actual film set and it was easier because they only let people in in sections. You get a time allocated.

Universal definitely has a Guest Assistance card. If the line is more than 30 minutes they will give you an exact time to come back and then go into the express line. If it is less than 30 minutes then you can go in right away into the express line.

Also, I took my mother through both parks in a wheelchair and everything was accessible. She rode Gringotts twice. We took her through the entire queue in the wheelchair. She just had to do a different elevator than everyone else. It was the same for Hogwarts Express and Forbidden Journey.

Good news about the card thank you. I found the alley impossible sadly. It was so crowded I was being knocked from chair and could not fit into the stores. Plus when trying to ride a couple of the attractions the staff called me a name that I would rather not repeat. I left in tears. In contrast the following day Seaworld could not do more to accomdate at Aquatica and Seaworld.

Good news about the card thank you. I found the alley impossible sadly. It was so crowded I was being knocked from chair and could not fit into the stores. Plus when trying to ride a couple of the attractions the staff called me a name that I would rather not repeat. I left in tears. In contrast the following day Seaworld could not do more to accomdate at Aquatica and Seaworld.

Sorry to hear that. We had no issues with anything and found the staff very accommodating. The worst thing we got called was Muggle. In fact, my 90 year old mother in the wheelchair actually got chosen at Ollivanders for the wand choosing ceremony. The TMs treated her very specially.

Last edited:
Sorry to hear that. We had no issues with anything and found the staff very accommodating. The worst thing we got called was Muggle. In fact, my 90 year old mother in the wheelchair actually got chosen at Ollivanders for the wand choosing ceremony. The TMs treated her very specially.

I would have laughed to have been called a muggle! I really wanted a wand but we left before I could get one. I am glad your mother had a better experience than me. I would like to give them a second chance. I have not tried the hogwarts express yet.

Anyone who thinks express pass means "walk on" or even "front of the line" has a serious misunderstanding of it. It just means a different line than standby and it's almost always shorter.

The issue though, is that at 90-100/person if you buy it separately or a premium built into the onsite hotel, it better be more than just "almost always shorter" and it sure as heck better not ever be longer. I don't pay a premium price to wait longer. It may not be normal but it's happened twice in 2 years at completely separate times of the year(both times during what should be a less crowded season). It seemed as if more people are buying the passes or they are having trouble managing the integration of EP and SB if the ride doesn't have a dedicated vehicle for EP because the resorts never seem crowded.

The issue though, is that at 90-100/person if you buy it separately or a premium built into the onsite hotel, it better be more than just "almost always shorter" and it sure as heck better not ever be longer. I don't pay a premium price to wait longer. It may not be normal but it's happened twice in 2 years at completely separate times of the year(both times during what should be a less crowded season). It seemed as if more people are buying the passes or they are having trouble managing the integration of EP and SB if the ride doesn't have a dedicated vehicle for EP because the resorts never seem crowded.

The only time I have experienced a long wait in the express line was when there were problems with the ride.

I have never experienced the EP queue longer than regular queue. We are there when queues can reach 100 minutes plus for some rides. It just hasn't happened. As damo says, unless there is a fault with the ride. Then it's up to you if you wait or not.

I think the OP experience is a strange one. To have EVERY ride that has EP have a 40 minute wait......unheard of.

My nephew and his girlfriend are there just now, they stay a month 3 times a year, and haven't experienced those waits at Universal last week/weekend or any other time.

There is a very good reason it has a premium cost. And it works :thumbsup2

I have never experienced the EP queue longer than regular queue. We are there when queues can reach 100 minutes plus for some rides. It just hasn't happened. As damo says, unless there is a fault with the ride. Then it's up to you if you wait or not.

I think the OP experience is a strange one. To have EVERY ride that has EP have a 40 minute wait......unheard of.

My nephew and his girlfriend are there just now, they stay a month 3 times a year, and haven't experienced those waits at Universal last week/weekend or any other time.

There is a very good reason it has a premium cost. And it works :thumbsup2
I was shocked that we waited so long in the EP line. It was not at all what I thought I paid for. It was annoying. Maybe I should ask for a refund.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter