Just back from a spilt stay Universal/Disney..... here's what I learned.

I didn't. I've been to WDW a lot in the last few years but this was an Orlando trip, so we rented a house in Winter Park and hung out with my family a bunch. We agreed to go to one theme park for a day and we chose US, mostly because my wife is mad at Disney these days. And the kids have read harry Potter and we figured what the hell. And it was a good day; please forgive me if I implied otherwise. Theme parks require waiting, always have, always will.

I only mention what I mention because I feel there's been a lot of over-the-top of praise for US and IOA in comparison to WDW. EP is praised a lot, and I paid the money for it thinking that praise would have it be walk-ons for most of the rides (I knew HP was excluded), so I was disappointed with the amount of time we spent waiting for the kids to get off a ride. That said, seeing the standby lines and the fact it was a hot March day (at least for Colorado mountain wimpy kids), I was glad we spent the money, even if it was less than I expected it to be. And that was my feeling with all of Universal Studios, and the same way I felt about IOA a couple of years ago. it's a very nice theme park. But it feels mashed together -- as things have been added on, they don't always seem to fit exactly. I think a lot of things there are very nice, but there's no real cohesion. Minons across the street from Shrek, a half block down from a straight-fall rollercoaster, and then onto Hollywood Boulevard and a collection of shops and restaurants.

The only thing that was immersive on both sides was Harry Potter, and it was that. But I also felt it was overkill -- a lot of real estate for one ride and one concept, almost like a ren faire with cooler stuff.

As for FP+, I think it's fine. I think it was the only way for WDW to equalize opportunity at MK, and they just implemented it everywhere else because they'd already done it there. I don't know whether its preferable to EP or not, but it is free, and that ought to count for something in WDW's favor.

Spring break I only did once and never again

Of course the parks will be packed
and if Easter fell in the month when you went, yup line waits

If you think UO was crowded, Disney is worse in that time period
But the ep can be used once per ride so you know you can cover a lot
I'm guessing your waits with the ep were longer than usual
I can understand your frustration with that

At Disney, fp can be booked when you get there if you are staying off site
Imagine that would be long waits.....

Stay onsite at UO in the deluxe hotels and the ep is free and unlimited
I'm sold on that
All onsite hotels has early entry one hour before its open to the public

Sorry, but I gotta call BS on a couple posters in this thread. Yeah, maybe you had 30+ minute waits for EP all day, but I, and most other posters, find that HIGHLY unlikely. Unless the day you visited, you hit every ride as it broke down. I've gone MANY times with EP from the hotels, and never wait more than 10 minutes, and that includes queue walking. If EP was 30, standby was likely 120. THe fact that the person claiming this loves magic bands is suspect. Yeah, 3 FP+ a day is soooooo much better than unlimited ones, on all the big rides.
I have no reason to be untruthful about EP wait times. I was shocked that we waited so long. It wasn't at all what I expected. My family insisted that we add the feature because they had used it at Christmas years back. They described it as walk-on even over a Holiday. The ease of Magicbands can't be denied. We didn't have one problem including getting a text with our room # and going directly to the room, bump your band and you're in. In contrast, we had trouble with our paper Universal tickets both days. The tickets were printed at the ticket counter at Cabana, then reprinted at guest services and then reprinted again at guest services. WHAT A PAIN!! Love me some MAGICBANDS!! Also, you can't use EP on all the BIG rides.

I have no reason to be untruthful about EP wait times. I was shocked that we waited so long. It wasn't at all what I expected. My family insisted that we add the feature because they had used it at Christmas years back. They described it as walk-on even over a Holiday. The ease of Magicbands can't be denied. We didn't have one problem including getting a text with our room # and going directly to the room, bump your band and you're in. In contrast, we had trouble with our paper Universal tickets both days. The tickets were printed at the ticket counter at Cabana, then reprinted at guest services and then reprinted again at guest services. WHAT A PAIN!! Love me some MAGICBANDS!! Also, you can't use EP on all the BIG rides.

That all sounds so bizarre. Was it a problem with your fingerscans? I've never, in the zillions of years I've been on the Universal boards heard of anyone having problems with their actual card unless it was soaked on a ride. Occasionally people will have difficulty with one person's finger scan but that is it.

I've also never heard of anyone having 30 minute waits for every express line in the park. One maybe, but that is generally it.

You can't use EP on Forbidden Journey and on Gringotts. You can use it on everything else.

That all sounds so bizarre. Was it a problem with your fingerscans? I've never, in the zillions of years I've been on the Universal boards heard of anyone having problems with their actual card unless it was soaked on a ride. Occasionally people will have difficulty with one person's finger scan but that is it.

I've also never heard of anyone having 30 minute waits for every express line in the park. One maybe, but that is generally it.

You can't use EP on Forbidden Journey and on Gringotts. You can use it on everything else.

Yeah, the story just doesn't add up. They literally had the worst Universal experience I've ever heard, and just happened to be on DISboards to tell everyone about it.

And by coincidence, they love Magic Bands.

While the reality is FP+ is INSANELY limiting on how many rides you get, while EP has allowed me to ride anything and everything at Universal with no issues (except HP).

-J

Okay, I'll jump back in here. We went to FL over big holidays.

1. Past years, holiday prices were high, but not crazy. Both now a bit crazy: WDW's are zany! We minimized. Staff at both are often super!
2. Onsite deluxe at US is a no brainer,IMO. Onsite deluxe rates= $ of 4 passes.
3. AP's at US are also kind of a no brainer, IMO. US Power AP = just $277 ($198 to renew). Preferred =$367 ($277 to renew). US 2day hopper = $256 (- easy discounts). SO....2days vs. Power AP = under $50 adds most of the year. Pref AP for $111 = 365 days. PLUS renewal = $ of 2day hopper. Sample July rates: AP saves $18/night at RPC, $28/night at CB, and $134 at Portofino!

SO...3 nights at Portofino =AP for FREE. Did I say no brainer?

4. YES we periodically waited +15min with Express P. (most under 20) Minions and Shrek can be +15, but so are ALL pre-show style attractions; Dino, TT, Soarin' at WDW are the same. We also rode all HP rides BOTH weeks with minimal waits.

When it comes to TS at US with reservations = all our waits under 10min, plus multiple no-wait TS walk-ups! (HP QS at noon does =a wait.)
MEANWHILE, at WDW...Space Mtn with FP = + 30 min wait. 7D FP =10min, and BTMRR FP=15min. We scored a few more minor FP. Our PotC FP was a disaster: ride stopped, and long story- we lost +30 trying to use/replace w/out luck. Between our limited FP, daytime standbys for even pretty minor rides were 30+mi. Very late PM/very early AM we got a few 15min standbys.

Our WDW ADR was a nightmare! We arrived well before ADR, but waited over an hour past our ADR just to be seated, plus another 30 for food! We didn't ask for any comp (probably should have), but didn't get any. Non-WDW, we've been comped entire meals for less.

This is far from the only time WDW TS has been atrocious! In the past 5 years, many meal delays: seated 30+ late, order to food=30+, asking to having bill=+20, MAJOR errors on bill =+20 to fix, and more!

Further, while US is smaller, transportation is reliable. Even major holidays, we never waited +10 for a boat, usually less than 5. Plus, pedi-cabs are available (free, but $ tip asked). The one time we asked for inter-hotel shuttle, in pouring rain!, we were instantly offered towels and a free towncar! (we tipped) There are shuttles every few minutes, but we :) chose towncar.

At WDW, slow transportation is the norm. Buses don't arrive, the monorail stops running, and boats are slow. No buses between hotels. No free taxi's.

6. WDW's ME from the airport is good +.

7. WDW fireworks beat US. Holiday MK fireworks were amazing. Our US reaction, "That's it?"

No EP on Twirl 'n' Hurl. They have a lane set up, but during holidays, wasn't in use.

I should add at WDW, we've experienced a number of time consuming magicband problems.

Finger readers at US gates can be rather slow....but then...I've also had delays getting into WDW parks. the new scanners are better, but not perfect.

The problem is often guests who just don't comprehend how to put a finger (same finger!) on the scanner. Always amazes me how so many people mess that up.

But then, airport lines aren't much better. Most of the delay is people who don't bother to pay any attention to the posted directions. You see the same dumb stuff again and again. People spend half an hour in LINE, but don't bother to prep anything. You'd think 30min is enough time to CHECK one's POCKETS!

At first we were told it was a system error but we seemed to be the only ones with issues. The last time at guest service, on our second day she printed a one day with Unlimited Express pass and gave us 4 VIP passes for Gringotts and FJ. That was really nice and made up for a lot of our time spent switching out tickets. Honestly I think the guy at the ticket counter at Cabana messed up our tickets some how.

Last edited:
Yeah, the story just doesn't add up. They literally had the worst Universal experience I've ever heard, and just happened to be on DISboards to tell everyone about it.

And by coincidence, they love Magic Bands.

While the reality is FP+ is INSANELY limiting on how many rides you get, while EP has allowed me to ride anything and everything at Universal with no issues (except HP).

-J
I'm not sure that FP+ is better but it worked for us on our 4 parks/1 day challenge. We rope dropped Epcot with no FP+. Rode Soarin, TT and MS. Then DHS with FP+, Star Tours TMM and TT. After using our last FP+ there we booked a FP for Everest. Off to MK we did BTM with FP+. SDMT was booked so we rode standby after the fireworks. The time posted was 20 minutes but I'd say we waited about 45. It was closed when we came off the ride but there were a few still in line.

At first we were told it was a system error but we seemed to be the only ones with issues. The last time at guest service, on our second day she printed a one day with Unlimited Express pass and gave us 4 VIP passes for Gringotts and FJ. That was really nice and made up for a lot of our time spent switching out tickets. Honestly I think the guy at the ticket counter at Cabana messed up our tickets some how.

Wait...
You just told us about all the issues you encountered at the darkside but now posting you got 4 free passes of unlimited ep
And 4 vip tickets for gringotts?

Maybe I should Reread the thread before I post anything else
Not sure who is who right now and don't want to mix up the posters

GS doesn't give out free anything like that unless you went there to file complaints

But you already had ep you bought?

Think I am mixing up two different posters
Back to page one for me

Wait...
You just told us about all the issues you encountered at the darkside but now posting you got 4 free passes of unlimited ep
And 4 vip tickets for gringotts?

Maybe I should Reread the thread before I post anything else
Not sure who is who right now and don't want to mix up the posters

GS doesn't give out free anything like that unless you went there to file complaints

But you already had ep you bought?

Think I am mixing up two different posters
Back to page one for me
We paid for 2 day park to park with UEP. GS gave us 4 VIP one time per pass (the passes were printed on receipt paper) because we missed early entry due to standing in the GS line. There were two in our party, so we each got one ride on Gringotts and one ride of FJ. I think she was very kind to do that for us. She said I'm sure you're here early to ride HP.

Ok think I have it now

Tm's give out the tickets for return rides when they break down so familiar with those ticket receipts

The big reason I quit my second job selling tickets at Universal is that they trained us to say pretty much anything to get an Express sale.

No comment on anything else addressed here because I visit Universal as a guest maybe five times a year so I'm no expert.

If you visit U parks 5 different trips/seasons a year, I'd say you are qualified as 'an expert' visitor :)

Other than locals who visit several X a month, certainly have enough visits to get a feel for typical crowds/wait times.

Not sure why it is suspect to actually like magic bands? Our split stay last year - 6 days onsite WDW, then offsite for a week to our condo with an overnighter at RPH (cheaper for family of five than buying 5 UEP)-we absolutely missed the ease of the magic bands! Had to shuffle park ticket, express pass/hotel key, and photo pass card in/out of lanyard. And DH had issues with his entry ticket too-the gate person inadvertently scanned it TWICE causing a day to drop off so when we went the third day it said he'd already used all his days-grrrrr-was early entry day to do HP too. GS ended up just giving him a one day park to park ticket as she could see he didn't do 2 entries within minutes of each other. No issues with MB though.

Also-trying to fight the crowd to get pictures scanned onto card at US was not fun-LOVE LOVE the auto add of pics with Magic bands!

We did absolutely love riding things multiple times if we wished with the EP -Minions was really only ride we waited more than 10 minutes to get on - which was fine with us as it rained while waiting:)

Not sure why it is suspect to actually like magic bands? Our split stay last year - 6 days onsite WDW, then offsite for a week to our condo with an overnighter at RPH (cheaper for family of five than buying 5 UEP)-we absolutely missed the ease of the magic bands! Had to shuffle park ticket, express pass/hotel key, and photo pass card in/out of lanyard. And DH had issues with his entry ticket too-the gate person inadvertently scanned it TWICE causing a day to drop off so when we went the third day it said he'd already used all his days-grrrrr-was early entry day to do HP too. GS ended up just giving him a one day park to park ticket as she could see he didn't do 2 entries within minutes of each other. No issues with MB though.

Also-trying to fight the crowd to get pictures scanned onto card at US was not fun-LOVE LOVE the auto add of pics with Magic bands!

We did absolutely love riding things multiple times if we wished with the EP -Minions was really only ride we waited more than 10 minutes to get on - which was fine with us as it rained while waiting:)

FWIW, sounds like Forbidden Journey is getting EP.

I have yet to stay at a Universal hotel, but it's on my bucket list! Lol, I've heard wonderful things about them! Pop and basically anything below deluxe DEFINITELY needs soundproofing!

It also concerns me a bit that Disney is still just doing random searches, I do think they need to up their game a little bit, esp after the last few weeks. I also remember back when they banned all gun like things, and installed the first couple of metal detectors and how many posts I saw on FB from Ap holders or frequent visitors about how MAD they were because "they already drive an hour now they'll have to get up earlier" and go through more stuff and such... :headache::headache: right....I hope they step it up!

Glad you got on Soarin, and I appreciate you went to your resso to! I've heard wonderful things about the new ride and am super excited to get on it!

We went to US in January, so crowds were light, but we only paid I think $250/night at RPR and the EPs were worth their weight in gold. I don't go during busy times so I can't speak for that, but even our longest waits for HP rights were under an hour. (And return trips to the Castle we did single rider, so we practically walked on.)

The finger readers at US are less sensitive than those at WDW. I use the same finger for both. I never have a problem at Disney. I have a problem more often than not at US. I am a nurse and have a problem using fingerprint access to get into the machine at work that holds patient medication, so the problem is more with my fingerprints than with US.

This thread is very helpful as I am in the beginning stages of planning a Universal only trip next year.

It would seem people's experiences with Express Pass vary based on time of year?

I'm planning a trip the week before Presidents Day. Is it crowded that time of year?
I was thinking to just book Cabana Bay as EP may not be that valuable.

Personally, for your first visit, I would say EP is definitely worth it! Especially if you want to do the majority of the attractions. We did not have EP during our most recent trip as we were staying offsite and while we were still able to do most of the rides we wanted to, we did miss out on a few since we are not willing to wait in a line longer than 40-60 minutes.

We are planning to do a one day at Universal this October. We are not staying on site. It will be our first time and we are hopping between parks. I didn't purchase the express pass. We are truly expecting to just check things out and do some highlights. We have chosen a week day in October. I'm sure we'll miss a few great rides because of long wait times, but I just can't justify spending the money on the express pass for this trip. It's mostly about Disney for us, but we wanted to get a feel for Universal. We'll plan a longer trip there next time. I hope we will still enjoy the park without paying for a room and the express pass.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter