Jungle Cruise Getting a Makeover

Yes I know I'm being selfish, but I will have been waiting a year to go-my trip was postponed from June 2020 until June 2021-and I'm hoping People Mover, Splash Mountain, and Jungle Cruise will all be operational then and not down for refurbishment! I'm 68, who knows when I'll get to go next!!!

Personally, I'm surprised anyone would be against removing a horribly racist scene. Like, there is no arguing against it, it's racist. It was a huge mistake and I'm glad they are fixing it. Like, is treating every human with dignity and respect and not like a caricature so offensive to people?

The Jungle Cruise evolved a lot since it first opened. In fact, the skipper originally just pointed the things they were passing. I believe it wasn't until the 60s when the skippers at Disneyland started adding the jokes. A lot of the animals moved around the ride too. It's always been changing and evolving, and this is just another step.

I just hope they update the audio system. Sometimes in the back, or if you are sitting by the engine, it gets really hard to hear the skippers.

First time since joining the Boards that I've really hesitated to join in a thread. I've read the posts here and sad that so many are condescending to those who have concerns about the proposed changes. The Boards have always been inclusive. Many of us have been flamed for a not so popular opinion. But first time I've seen this level of heat.

I'm concerned with the changes. But I also recognize the real positives. Pros being any $ spent on the attraction means it will continue so that's good. And the pics of the proposed changes I have seen look like they dovetail well into the story line. As opposed to the POC Red Head revamp which was jarring and superficial. But the news release concerns me. Suggests that there may not be a boat skipper but that we follow the 'skipper's story' through the ride. Those real human skippers make the attraction. Those are people who need to work and draw pay. I may be overreacting as haven't read any online source stating no more skippers. But the language is concerning. The other elephant in the room is Trader Sam and also the ambush party. What changes will happen there? Will those revisions be as true to the JC narrative? If not, why not just be honest and announce that the ride will be 'new' and 'upgraded'? Perhaps they will just be disappeared. I understand that society evolves. I understand that everyone needs to see themselves reflected - to at least some degree - in the entertainment they watch. But if we spray paint everything PC beige we 1) forget and cheapen the advancements we have all worked hard to achieve and 2) make every classic ride boring as heck. We need visual cues - conversation starters - of what life was like for women and minorities decades ago. And also cues of what life is like right now for women and minorities. These are important sparks for education and discussions with our kids and families. Shame that we are erasing these moments and opportunities.

It also sounds like there really is a Disney inclusiveness department that has audited all the classic rides in DL and WDW. When so many CMs have lost their jobs, and Epcot centre is a crater, is this really how Disney wants to spend their money? Why not earmark the funds now allocated for this overlay truly for the CMs first and make those first dismissed because of COVID the first to be hired or at least given a fair work offer. Then maybe improve the boats in both POC and Jungle Cruise. Everyone would benefit from better boats that don't soak guests. Talk about truly inclusive. Guessing this department was given the green light pre-COVID but during the pandemic there has been no re-assessment and it has marched ahead. The more honest discussion would be whether revisioning classic attractions at both DL and WDW is truly the priority when CMs are hurting.

I'm absolutely with you that Disney should focus their attention on caring for their cast members and re-employing them in a safe work environment before any refurbishments. And I would be the first to picket if they get rid of the live skippers on the ride lol, but from the description on the official Disney news announcement: "... the skipper role will not only be that of a live, experienced and witty guide, but also represented by a show figure within the attraction itself" to me implies that they will keep the live skipper, and also integrate them more into the animatronics story, like updating the people on the pole to include skippers.

What I have a hard time grasping was the argument earlier in the thread dismissing these changes as "pandering" to "political correctness". As a person of color, I've found "political correctness" has been a movement to be more inclusive to more people's experiences and help everyone have an equitable experience, and I really can't find a reasonable counterargument to that goal. And to see a place I love so much and have a special place in my heart try to be more inclusive shows me that I and others too have a place in this community. Sometimes they will fall short, and sometimes they will knock it out of the park, but I appreciate the attitude of at least trying. It is disheartening to see these attempts be dismissed, because to many of us, they are signs of progress and opening the parks to be welcoming to more guests.

I’m looking forward to this Plussing.

The concept artwork looks like it is embracing the creative style of Imagineer Marc Davis who was responsible for the first major retheme which introduced humor into the attraction. I think they are embracing the best themes already present, and the removal of the problematic parts should make room for some fun new moments.

The fact that they are not adding characters from the upcoming film is an added bonus and a pretty good surprise in this.

All in all, can’t wait for this to happen to one of my favorite attractions. 👍🏼

But if we spray paint everything PC beige we 1) forget and cheapen the advancements we have all worked hard to achieve

First let me premise this by saying I am not the most PC person on the planet, far from it and in my opinion there are some places where political correctness is taken to the extreme.

But the quoted statement has me a little confused.
Are you saying that eliminating racist or non-PC elements is a bad thing because it makes us forget we worked hard to eliminate racist/non-PC elements?

Not trying to be difficult, just trying to understand.

Moving this to the theme park community forum since it now had nothing to do with planning

"Differing ideas" - is that like fake news, or opinions on racism, etc? Depicting a race of people inappropriately would fall under which?
And this is the problem with the US right now. No one can have an differing opinion from the crowd without being called racist, a conspiracy theorist or any other derogatory term.

I'm just going to end my comments here as I have been quite clear about my opinion which again, at least right now, I am still entitled to.

And this is the problem with the US right now. No one can have an differing opinion from the crowd without being called racist, a conspiracy theorist or any other derogatory term. ...

I think that’s a mischaracterization of the current issue.

The problem is not differing opinion, it’s about ignoring the fact that on top of the inequalities that still exist, African-Americans have been categorized, caricatured, and stereotyped for centuries as an aggressive, inferior species to be feared. Those images contribute to the continued inequalities that they experience. That’s not opinion, those are facts. Just because some people find those caricatures amusing, doesn’t mean it isn’t damaging to the people being caricatured.

Add to that, Disney parks are all about showing the best of humanity as a whole, not just one ethnicity over another. Even if the argument/opinion is that people should learn to take a joke and not be so serious about things, putting down one group of people for a laugh isn’t what Disney is about.

Last edited:
You might be tempted to think that the DIS mods actually worked on the Jungle Cruise boats. Actually they were just phishing.

Read between the lines, they are getting rid of the skippers.
Then what does "the skipper role will be not only that of a LIVE, experienced, and witty guide, but ALSO represented by a show figure within the attraction itself" That seems pretty darn clear to me.

Just like with the Splash threads, people sure do love telling on themselves.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter