I've had to stop reading the forums...

Welcome, and Congratulations! I truly hope you all have the most Magical experience possible for your honeymoon! :)

I have been going to WDW since 1972. (and celebrating 30 years of marriage this year!)

Things have changed :::ahem::: a little bit since my first visit! ;) I still love coming to WDW, I still get so excited I can't sleep the night before, like a kid at Christmas! And I still act my shoe size, and NOT my age!

Over the years, and many trips, I have learned a couple of things. The first one is that the very most important thing you can do at Disney World is to let go of the outside world. Don't worry about work, don't worry about anything back in your day-to-day life. Make like Elsa, and Let It Go!

Remember that if you look for it, the Magic is everywhere at Disney! (And, so are the hidden Mickeys!) It's super easy to get overwhelmed, though, so if either of you start to feel that way, take a break from the parks, head back to your resort, and relax. It's so tempting to try and stay and see it ALL in one day, or one trip. I still see some little detail, or some little clever "wink" from the Imagineers *every* visit! So know that even those of us who have been coming for a long time don't see every tiny thing there is to see - the amount of detail is just astonishing, and I predict you will be enchanted!

Finally, don't worry about those folks who are kind of cantankerous. Some people do get upset when there are changes to anything they love, and they have to let us know about it. Some people air their frustrations, seeking validation, and hoping that it isn't just them who is upset. And some people have to poke holes in the Magic, because apparently they have lost track of their inner child, which has made them unreasonably cranky. ;)

Set your inner child free at Disney World. Laugh, and smile and play with your sweetheart like you are a kid again! Be free for those 7 glorious days from all the cares of adulthood, and enjoy the sun, the food, and most of all, the Magic. And then go start your life together with the all of the wonderful memories you created together at Disney World. I can't think of a better way to start a lifetime together!

Sending you all of my best wishes for the Magical trip ever!

I totally agree to ignore the negative, I went for the first time in january and it was truly magical, and I cannot wait to go back!

Congratulations! And you'll have a great time. I wouldn't keep going back again and again if it wasn't such a magical place. :goodvibes

You took the words right out of my mouth haha. Boyfriend and I will be there November 2017 for our honeymoon and it will be my first trip to any Disney park. For awhile I was starting to feel bummed out because of all the negative threads/posts but then I reminded myself that this is something I've been waiting for my whole life. It will be magical and amazing

Reactions: TAK

Congrats :yay:

Something I learned is there are people out there that just have a bad outlook on life. We all at one time or another have our bad moments too. I think all of us who have been multiple times spanning years can attest that things are different than they used to be. But the thing is that's the case just about anywhere.

A bit of a background on me-I'm nearly 28 years old. First trip was before 1994 (don't know the year though),in 1999, in 2004 and the last time was in 2011. My next trip is 2017. So yes I've been multiple times but I was also a child growing up. My memories are so much different than someone who was already nearing or was an adult the first time they went (or went when it first opened) and then continued to go over time.

Do I like to spend more $ than I have to? No. Then again Disney is not a cheap vacation. It's actually going to be more expensive than my honeymoon for 9 days at Sandals St. Lucia (including the airfare to get there)was in 2013 but ya know what I'll still absolutely love my time there even with the ups and downs that can happen on any vacation.

In all honesty I'm very glad I found this board even though yes I'm a little bummed out at all the changes that have happened since Aug 2015 when I started my planning (though please don't let that statement get you down).

IMO the hardest part of being a first time visitor that I've noticed is going in with expectations. We all would love our vacations in general to go down without a hitch but that's not guaranteed. WDW is just such a large place and I've only come to realize that I've experienced a teeny bit in the multiple times I've gone. Many people think they can do it all and that's not a realistic expectation.

My biggest suggestion is to sit down together and actually go over:
1) where you might want to stay (what's important to you, what's your budget)

2) what types of places you might want to eat at (will you be eating at places that strongly suggest resevations or not, do you want to see characters while eating)

3) what types of rides and attractions you want to ride and see. I've actually got a spreadsheet created and color-coded (yeah I like to plan as you can see) where I list out what is my personal "must see" and what I've deemed "if time permits" and then the "not interested" ones as well. As it gets closer I will include my family in on all the plans (my husband and I are the real planners, me especially, so they would rather we do the leg work and then when needed bring them in).

A perk of looking at the things I mentioned above is you get very excited about your trip and it can help scare away those negative thoughts :D

You can still be spontanous at WDW but IMO it takes a person who just goes with the flow to do that.

Also you might go on over to the Trip Reports board. I've yet to find a trip report that had a lot of negativity to it (some complaints here and there but it is a trip report so they are just being honest..I haven't read anything that was anywhere near the negativity I've seen on other boards). I absolutely love seeing who my fellow DISers are and see all the pictures and experiences they've had. Puts a smile on my face every time.

Happy planning and here's some pixie dust for good luck :tinker:

The Theme Park board is a treasure trove of information but it can definitely just feel like everyone is complaining about something. I've separated most complaints into two groups:
- Something changed! Nothing is EVER allowed to change at all, I'm so upset!
- There's nothing new! Why haven't they updated/changes/built/gotten rid of something yet, I'm so upset!

And therefor no matter what one of these camps is upset and complaining ;)

Many people on here have been many times and we see the changes over the years. Sometimes these changes ruin the nostalgia that people have for WDW. Since you have not gone yet, you will unlikely notice the things others are seeing. I had three sets of friends go last year for the once in a lifetime trip and they planning to go back this year. If it was that bad would they have felt the magic and return so soon? The magic is still there. Have a fantastic time!

Everyone on this thread is so sweet!!! :)

My friend and her DH went on their disneymoon last year and they absolutely loved it.

Hurry up November 2017:rolleyes1

I agree 100% with the previous posters..... take everything you read with a grain of salt. There is so much to do and see and such a level of detail that you will be amazed. I see something new every trip and enjoy old favourites as well. I find if you approach CMs with a positive, friendly attitude they will respond the exact same way to you. We just got back from our 4th trip last Saturday and had an incredible time. So much so in fact, that I upgraded my park ticket to an annual pass and am in the midst of planning a solo trip to celebrate my upcoming 50th birthday!

Have a wonderful time and congratulations on your wedding!

Thanks for all the feedback :) it's just a short 10 days away now. I will definitely let everyone know how the trip went.

I love architecture and trains so even if I just sit on a train and ride it around looking at buildings all day, I'm sure I'll have a blast.

Remember, the people here are extreme! A lot of them plan many details and have very high expectations. And that's fine, but I think it makes us more critical.

Yes, I agree that there are some things I'm not happy with--but we LOVE WDW and always have an amazing time. Is it a perfect vacation every time? NO. But nothing ever is.

You will have an amazing time. Congratulations!!!!

I feel the exact same way! A honeymoon at Disney World sounds amazing! I doubt that most of the things people complain about will bother first-timers.

An angle to consider...all of those negative threads and posts have passionate Disney fans behind them...fans who still love the Disney parks and would drop everything at a moments notice to go to WDW, DLR, etc. if they could. And while they might be upset that something is closed or something has changed, it's highly unlikely that the source(s) of their frustrations will have any impact on your trip/overall enjoyment factor. I've been going since 1985 and I could rattle off all of the things that are gone or have changed that I miss, but after seeing my kids experience the parks during more recent trips, it became clear that the parks are always magical...if you allow yourself to enjoy them. So, go and celebrate your marriage and enjoy yourselves :) I'm sure you'll have a wonderful time!

I'm so happy you've decided to go to WDW for your honeymoon- It's an amazing place!
Most negative posts on here are from Disney regulars, like me, so don't really pay attention to them if you want. The negative things happen very rarely as well- I've been going to WDW every Friday/Saturday(skipping summers) for the past 2 years, and I've only got a few negative experiences I can remember- they just kinda happen every once and awhile. Anyway, don't let the posts get ya down, hon!

You are going to have the time of your life.........and as you enjoy your vacation, say a quiet thank you to Uncle Walt. He was one of the ten greatest people of the 20th century!

So people just want to complain. Some are long time Disney fans and the don't like the changes that make them change their park touring systems. There is a old saying that *people are afraid of change*.

My wife and I had Disneymoon back in 1977 long before it was popular.

Have great time!

AKK

You summed up exactly what I was feeling. My husband and I are going for the first time 4/7 through 4/10 as a trip for our second anniversary, and I got so much good advice and planning advice from these boards. Then when all the negativity about the after hours and early morning events started happening, it started to get me worried as well. But you've summed it up well.

And CONGRATULATIONS! Sounds like it's gonna be an awesome, exciting week for you! :)

Happy Birthday Clifton! Prepare for a mind blowing experience at WDW. :earsboy:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter