• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Is Walt Disney World going to 100% security screenings at the parks?

I just cant understand why people want to argue over the security measures. I'm retired Military and I still work on a military base. I see security everyday. Its just a part of the world we now live in. If you have a problem going through the procedures that are put in place at the parks then you shouldn't go . I don't feel safe being in line with someone that argues the point. Its only for your safety......... Simple as that.
Just my opinion. better safe than sorry.......................

136 Days 2 Hours 42 minutes till I go through the metal detector again and smile because they are looking out for us...................................
I think you may misunderstand the point.
I know for me it has nothing to do with not wanting to go through them. I don't care if I do or don't.
They don't take a tremendous amount of time and I didn't find doing it an inconvenience.
But I still don't think they are doing much of anything to prevent an attack.
If someone was intent to do harm at Disney (I believe a very, very small chance) they could still do it. Right there in that line

I think you may misunderstand the point.
I know for me it has nothing to do with not wanting to go through them. I don't care if I do or don't.
They don't take a tremendous amount of time and I didn't find doing it an inconvenience.
But I still don't think they are doing much of anything to prevent an attack.
If someone was intent to do harm at Disney (I believe a very, very small chance) they could still do it. Right there in that line

This keeps being brought up, so I feel I have to point out something that NO ONE has mentioned so far.

At Disneyland, there is plenty of active security BEFORE the bag check. There are both Disney AND Anaheim Police patrolling the line. There is always at least one, and often two active K-9 officers methodically walking up and down EVERY line, back and forth, in a continuous manner, as more people join the line. The dogs are being walked past everyone, slowly, and given enough time to do a thorough sweep.

Does this not occur at WDW? This has been happening regularly at DL for several months. I go very often, so I see it all the time.

There is also a bunch of obvious security inside the bag check, between the entry turnstiles for both parks. Disneyland also employs Police at the entrances to all their hotels as well as all over Downtown Disney.

It's not as if all the security begins and ends at the bag checks...

This keeps being brought up, so I feel I have to point out something that NO ONE has mentioned so far.

At Disneyland, there is plenty of active security BEFORE the bag check. There are both Disney AND Anaheim Police patrolling the line. There is always at least one, and often two active K-9 officers methodically walking up and down EVERY line, back and forth, in a continuous manner, as more people join the line. The dogs are being walked past everyone, slowly, and given enough time to do a thorough sweep.

Does this not occur at WDW? This has been happening regularly at DL for several months. I go very often, so I see it all the time.

There is also a bunch of obvious security inside the bag check, between the entry turnstiles for both parks. Disneyland also employs Police at the entrances to all their hotels as well as all over Downtown Disney.

There are dogs around but they do not walk among the guests in line, at least not ever in all my times of coming and going. Usually they are not visable, but the cars are in the lot that say K9 so they are somewhere
There are Police around and I'm certain they are watching and on alert. But they are away from the gate areas
I've never seen a uniformed police presence in the resorts, anywhere. I'm sure there is some security there though
There were some uniformed local police at DS a couple weeks ago.
Most I see are Disney security uniforms, not local police uniforms.
So no, most of those things are not obviously being done at WDW. Though I have no doubts there are security measures in place that we can't see but it still is not going to stop someone intent on harm

It hasn't happened the last 4 times I have been. I haven't been since December 2014, so I guess things might have changed.

On this coast it is mostly security theater.

It hasn't happened the last 4 times I have been. I haven't been since December 2014, so I guess things might have changed.

On this coast it is mostly security theater.

If you haven' been since 2014, your experience is not really relevant to the discussion of what is happening currently at WDW. 18 months is a long time, and things have changed significantly since the beginning of just this year, mostly due to some new intelligence.

There are dogs around but they do not walk among the guests in line, at least not ever in all my times of coming and going. Usually they are not visable, but the cars are in the lot that say K9 so they are somewhere
There are Police around and I'm certain they are watching and on alert. But they are away from the gate areas
I've never seen a uniformed police presence in the resorts, anywhere. I'm sure there is some security there though
There were some uniformed local police at DS a couple weeks ago.
Most I see are Disney security uniforms, not local police uniforms.
So no, most of those things are not obviously being done at WDW. Though I have no doubts there are security measures in place that we can't see but it still is not going to stop someone intent on harm

Good to know. I wonder if Disneyland might be a more likely target, thus the enhanced measures being taken? Who knows. Although, I do know that people from the corporate security department visit DL frequently to check up on things since they are nearby geographically. Maybe they are better able to make tweaks to how things are being done and can better monitor how well things are implemented.

Just because you don't see the security measures it doesn't mean they aren't in place. But everyone needs to be vigilant and keep your guard up. Either in the parking lot, standing in line, TTATC. Where there is a will to do harm there is a way unfortunately. Either from terrorist or home grown. If it can be stopped or minimalized is the main goal. New world new rules. )-:

Just got back from a ten day trip. Each of our group was selected for metal detectors a couple times during the week. It took literally an extra 10 seconds. There were no lines for the additional screening. They would grab people as we got through bag check when nobody was waiting at the metal detector. I did notice more thorough bag checks though. So it's not the metal detectors causing the longer lines, it's the longer bag checks.

Also, some have mentioned hand held wands being used. That is not the case in any of what I saw. It was all walk through.

I still work on a military base. I see security everyday.

Don't you think WDW and a military base are completely different?

The question isn't whether or not they're trying to protect us. I'm certain that they are. The problem is in the efficacy and efficiency of the policies.

Good to know. I wonder if Disneyland might be a more likely target, thus the enhanced measures being taken? Who knows. Although, I do know that people from the corporate security department visit DL frequently to check up on things since they are nearby geographically. Maybe they are better able to make tweaks to how things are being done and can better monitor how well things are implemented.

I don't see DL as more of a target or because corporate is closer, but because it's surrounded by Anaheim. There are hotels, restaurants, people not going to DL, commuters etc right outside the park. It's totally different than being far away from most everything while you are on property, except for at DS.

I would also add their are cameras and personnel monitoring from behind the scenes. Looking at clothing, body language, facial identification, etc.........AKK

To see little kids with their hands in the air being scanned with a hand held detector . .

I understand where you feelings are coming from,however it is not at all unbelievable that a evil minded terrorist would use anyone to hide a bomb or weapon, a child, grand person or disabled.

This is why we need the scanners, radars, and all tat goes to make a gate check as effective as possible.

AKK

Just got back from a ten day trip. Each of our group was selected for metal detectors a couple times during the week. It took literally an extra 10 seconds. There were no lines for the additional screening. They would grab people as we got through bag check when nobody was waiting at the metal detector. I did notice more thorough bag checks though. So it's not the metal detectors causing the longer lines, it's the longer bag checks.

Also, some have mentioned hand held wands being used. That is not the case in any of what I saw. It was all walk through.

We got back two weeks ago. At MK, going though no bag line, we then had to wait to go through metal detector. Once we had to wait maybe 10 mins. Most times 3 or 4 mins, not a biggie, but not 10 sec. DH was chosen almost every single time at MK. At Epcot at the back entrance, there was perhaps one or two people ahead. Again almost every single time. At DHS and AK, we were never chosen.

We got back two weeks ago. At MK, going though no bag line, we then had to wait to go through metal detector. Once we had to wait maybe 10 mins. Most times 3 or 4 mins, not a biggie, but not 10 sec. DH was chosen almost every single time at MK. At Epcot at the back entrance, there was perhaps one or two people ahead. Again almost every single time. At DHS and AK, we were never chosen.
We were there from 5-5 to 5-10 and had to go through the metal detectors every time we entered the park, entering through the no bag line. On our trip there was never a line to go through the detectors and it did take 10-30 seconds, however long it took to empty your pockets, put them in the bin and walk through. Most times we didn't even break stride. We walked in, pulled phone/wallet out of pockets, dropped them in the bin while walking by, walked on in to the detectors and the first time we stopped was when we grabbed the stuff out of the bin on the other side. At most we had to stop for a guard to bring an empty bin to the entrance side, since they only have 2, 3 bins. We are back in 2 weeks and will be interesting to compare the 2 trips. We'll still be using the no bag entrance each time.

Just because you don't see the security measures it doesn't mean they aren't in place. But everyone needs to be vigilant and keep your guard up. Either in the parking lot, standing in line, TTATC. Where there is a will to do harm there is a way unfortunately. Either from terrorist or home grown. If it can be stopped or minimalized is the main goal. New world new rules. )-:

Exactly. I know of a store who have both uniformed and plain cloths. While the crook is watching the uniform the other is sneaking up on him/her. My mother worked there. Before they knew who I was watched. One of the guys followed me all around the store and never knew it.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter