Is That A Crab Leg In Your Pocket? 10 Days of Dining with Pics!

Loving all the yummy looking snacks you are posting :)

The salad at VN sounds delicious

We are going to be trying the Beach Club next year so it's nice to see a review of the. Marketplace

Loving all the yummy looking snacks you are posting :)

The salad at VN sounds delicious

We are going to be trying the Beach Club next year so it's nice to see a review of the. Marketplace

The Beach Club is great! I'm sure you're going to love it, and it's so special to be able to walk to Epcot and Hollywood Studios. What month will you be there? The HS walk can be a bit long in the summer...:rolleyes1

The VN salad was soooo good.

While the marketplace options can be somewhat limited (especially vegetarian options), almost everything we've ever had there was delicious. The one item that wasn't good is no longer on the menu, so I think you'll enjoy whatever you do eat there. With the Boardwalk so close, you'll have lots of good choices at your fingertips. We don't find ourselves eating from the Marketplace too often.

Hopefully you'll write a new dining review after your trip! :banana:

After breakfast, we headed over to Epcot to see our favorite attractions one last time. Near the land, we spotted this mama and ten baby ducks:

Ramps had been placed all throughout the bodies of water so that the little babies could get in and out of the water. This proud mama was keeping such a good watch on all ten babies!

We paused to snap a photo of the Monster's Inc topiary display along the lagoon:

So detailed!

We had already decided we'd be skipping lunch, because we knew we had a big buffet dinner ahead of us. Instead, we decided to try a snack from Japan that we'd only read about but never had, kaki gori!

The frozen treat with the funny name!

This is basically just a snow cone, but it was so good!

That was DP's choice; you can pick two flavors, and she chose strawberry and cherry.

I chose watermelon and strawberry:

I loved mine!

It was such a hot day, and I swear we wouldn't have made it all the way back to the Beach Club if not for these icy treats to cool us off!

As far as the hype around the kaki gori goes, I'd say these snacks lived up to their reputation.

We finished our snow cones back in the shade by the quick service Japanese eating area, and then we headed back to Beach Club to enjoy our last afternoon at Stormalong Bay.

Along the way, we took a couple of photos of the beach:

More Disney ducks

Another one of the water fowl we saw along the beach:

After a short afternoon by the pool, we were ready to indulge (clambake style) at the Cape May crab leg buffet! Coming up next, lots of food pics from dinner (too many if you ask my stomach)!

Ok I got totally sidetracked.:( My plan is to finish this review up once and for all this weekend! ::yes::

Great review...looking forward to trying Via Napoli in March even more after your photo of that pizza!!!

After too long a hiatus and the best-laid plans...I'm back and I will be wrapping up this review this time!

By dinnertime, we were feeling very refreshed and ready to eat at one of my favorite meals of every trip, Cape May Café! I just love the theme and the vibe; I love crab legs, and I love being right there in our resort for our last dinner...the only thing I don't love is how bad I feel after overindulging in this all-you-can-eat buffet! But I had a plan for that this year!

We checked in and were seated in a nice booth after a short wait.

As part of my "plan" this year, I had decided not to fill up too much on the salads on the buffet...

So this was my first plate:

I know what you're thinking--that looks like a lot of salad! And it is! I was fully prepared to (mostly) resist the salads, but then the seafood salad on the buffet threw me. It had little bay scallops in it, and I love bay scallops! Without a lot of opportunities to try them, I was thrilled and I loaded up my plate.

The truth is, the seafood salad was not that tasty. There was a vinaigrette type of dressing mixed in, and that pretty much drowned out the taste of the seafood. Even though I didn't enjoy it that much, I felt that I had to eat most of it, because in general I don't like wasting food.

So after my first plate of food, my plan was derailed and I was already getting full...:scared1:

This was DP's first plate:

She was much wiser and clearly chose a more appropriate amount of the salad selections. She really loved the bean salad. The rest of the vegetable salads at Cape May are always good and fresh, and we have no complaints.

DP is not a crab leg eater, so this is her first plate of hot food:

She had a fish nugget from the kids' bar, some fried clams, vegetables, pasta salad, and the best mashed potatoes ever!

I don't think she calls them the best mashed potatoes ever, but I do! Potatoes are her favorite food group, though, and so she is a little more discerning. She admits these are "really good" mashed potatoes. Everything else was fine.

This is my first plate:

You can see how hard I worked to limit myself on everything else and try to focus on the crab legs! The crab legs are always good at this buffet, and snow crab really is my favorite kind. The mashed potatoes were delicious, and of course I had a bit of the obligatory vegetables.

I think this is a good start and I need to get off to work, but I will finish the Cape May post this evening. We've still got second helpings, along with dessert and my final thoughts on this favorite meal!

What's a clambake without some clams?

This was my second plate:

I had a few steamed clams, some more crab, and some of the most delicious macaroni and cheese! This mac n cheese is seriously really good. I actually think I had a third plate of just mac and cheese, but I can't seem to find a picture of that.

I also had some fried clams and one piece of fried fish. The fried fish always seems to be a bit dried out and not very good, but it doesn't really matter since everything else here is so good.

This was DP's second plate:

Some mac n cheese and some peel and eat shrimp. The peel and eat shrimp here are good. This is how I know I had another plate that I didn't photograph. I am vividly certain that I ate many of those peel and eat shrimp...it's no wonder I was so full after this meal!

After doing our share of damage to the dinner items on this buffet, it was time to make our way over to the dessert display!

Here is one shot of the buffet...the rumors we heard were true...no more oreo bon bons! :worried:

Here is the other side:

They also had some cookies and a few other things on the other side, but I didn't get a picture.

We decided to just share some dessert, since we were both already so full. This is our first plate:

A little cheesecake with what I think was blueberry whipped cream on top, and then a mini boston cream cake dessert.

These were both just ok. The biggest issue I have with buffet desserts, is that they usually look prettier than they taste. Neither of these really stood out, and because we were already so full, they both just seemed unnecessary.

DP always wants to try cookies for dessert when we eat at buffets:

A chocolate chip cookie and a brownie bite.

Again, these were just ok. In my opinion, a cookie would have to be pretty spectacular to seem great when you are as full as I was by this time...

Next we chose this:

a mini strawberry shortcake

This was by far the best dessert we had this evening, and we actually went back up for a couple more of these...:rolleyes2

Now by this time, we were stuffed to the brim. There was no way I could take one more bite. We paid our bill and headed out, taking one last walk past the dessert table...and that's when I saw it! They had just brought out a fresh tray of lime tarts, one of my favorite things! Alas I was too full to even attempt one, and I was too sad to take a picture. All in all, dessert was a little disappointing, and I'm convinced that if I'd had either an oreo bon bon or a lime tart, this would not have been the case.

After our massive overindulgence, we decided to walk around the lagoon while our food settled. We walked all around, into the Swan and Dolphin, around the Boardwalk and finally back to the BC. I was still feeling so full! :( I was also so sad it was our last night, but I was so uncomfortably full I couldn't focus too much on that.

We went up to our room where I lay in bed complaining about how full I was, feeling my heart race and my stomach about to burst. And this is why I think this trip to Cape May may have been our last. It feels like as the night went on, I got fuller and fuller until I literally thought my stomach might explode. Has anyone else ever had that experience with Cape May? I realize I ate A LOT, but I'm somebody who can normally do some damage at a buffet, and I have NEVER felt this uncomfortably full in all my life. I'm wondering if it's the sodium, or if there is some sort of enhancer in the food at this buffet that exacerbates how full you feel so that you will stop eating??? Whatever it is, this sensation has happened the other times we've eaten at Cape May, so it is just really sad, because I think the discomfort outweighs the enjoyment I get from it, even though I love so many things about it...

All that said, we'll see if I can resist it on our next trip to WDW.

Coming up next, lunch at Tokyo Dining! :wizard:

The morning after Cape May Café, I was still full! We skipped breakfast and slept in a bit, and then we got dressed and ready and headed over to Epcot via the International Gateway. It was our last morning, and we were so sad. :sad1:

We stopped in Canada to catch the O Canada film, since we hadn't had a chance to watch it yet this trip.

After watching the film, we spent a few minutes just hanging out in Canada. This is such a beautiful area!

Amongst the flowers, we spotted this mama duck. She had all her babies in the flowers with her. So cute!

We walked around the World Showcase, but by this time, I was feeling a little hungry and we mostly just wanted to eat some lunch. We thought about skipping our ressie at Tokyo Dining, because it was for late lunch, and the restaurant was just opening. We stopped at Japan's quick service spot to see if there was anything on the menus there we'd rather have, but there really wasn't. So we went ahead and checked in at Tokyo Dining right around opening, and even though we were about 2 hours early for our reservation, they seated us right away!

Already we were having a good experience. We loved the look of the restaurant inside, and our server was very attentive and kind. She told us all about her home town, a small village near Kyoto, Japan, and then she showed us pictures from a little album she carried in her apron pocket. This was just a nice touch, and it really made us want to visit the real Japan!

To start our meal, we both ordered a green tea:

This was interesting in appearance mostly, but otherwise just tasted like green tea. It was almost opaque, versus a clear brewed tea. Our server told us that it is always like this, both in Japan and at this restaurant. I enjoyed it and felt good thinking it must be full of antioxidants.

There were a few things we wanted to try, but we decided to split some sushi rolls and a meal, so that we didn't overdo it like the night before.

Our first choice was this:

Some California rolls minus the roe.

These were very good, and it was a big portion for the price I thought. I don't know why, but I just don't enjoy the little fish eggs on sushi. I always feel like they get stuck in my teeth and that I have little eggs in my teeth all day. The server was very accommodating in having the dish prepared the way I prefer it, without the eggs.

Next we had this:

This was tempura shrimp with vegetables.

It was also served with a little side of seaweed salad and some white rice with a soy-based dipping sauce. This was absolutely delicious!

I thoroughly enjoyed the nutty taste of the seaweed salad, even though it wasn't DP's favorite. The tempura batter was so nice and light. We both would have enjoyed another helping of those tempura veggies, but the shrimp were good too.

Overall, this was a completely delicious meal, served with utmost hospitality, in a tranquil environment along the World Showcase lagoon.

We were surprised by just how much we enjoyed Tokyo Dining, and we really look forward to returning during a future trip!

Up next, our last snack and a few last pics and thoughts!

After our morning in Epcot, we walked back over to the Beach Club to await our airport ride on the Magical Express. We still had a couple of hours to kill, but we were both just so sad, and it was really hot day, so we just figured we'd do some exploring at the Beach Club and rest in one of the many common areas. After hanging out in the lounge over at the Villas for a while, we decided we were feeling like a snack, so we walked over to Beaches and Cream to split some ice cream. How could I resist another one of these?

The no way Jose

This was, I believe, the full-size version of the no way Jose, which doesn't really seem any bigger than the smaller version we'd had earlier in the week. We sat on a little table outside by Stormalong Bay, eating our ice cream treat and just soaking it all in for the last time.

This dessert did not disappoint the second time around! It actually was a little different than how they made it when we ate it earlier in the week, but it doesn't really matter. I'm not sure if there is always some variation in the way it's served, or if they were just out of one of the toppings one of the times we had it...whatever the case, it was delicious, and the No Way Jose remains a must-have for me on future trips!

When it was about time to catch our ME to the airport, we headed out to the front of the Beach Club for the last time (this particular trip anyway). We had a wonderful time and a lot of yummy meals and snacks to tide us over until next time!

looking forward to reading it this weekend - no pressure! :rotfl2:

Sorry I failed you miserably, but at least it's done now, right?! I hope I didn't totally ruin your weekend back in January. ;)

Great review...looking forward to trying Via Napoli in March even more after your photo of that pizza!!!

We loved Via Napoli! It was seriously one of our favorite dining experiences of the entire trip! Hope you enjoyed it. :thumbsup2

Great review!
Don't know how I missed this earlier. The title had me :rotfl2:

Maybe you missed it because it was four months waiting for a post from me to wrap it up? Glad you "got" the title. I was trying to be subtle. I never did *actually* put a crab leg in my pocket. I just didn't think the folks at Cape May would go for that. :confused3

Really enjoying your reviews! You have had some lovely meals so far. Can't wait for more...:cool1:

Mamaboogie! Glad you're reading! I thoroughly enjoyed one of your dining reviews in the past--I could never forget your user name. Hope you liked the report--I'm sad it's over but might just have to get to all those pics I have from our most recent DL vacation and start another one...:banana:

Welcome back and glad you finished it out. I'd never read a lot about cape may so it was good to see they actually had clams at the clam bake (I was thinking perhaps not after part 1). Do they have characters at dinner.

Sorry I failed you miserably, but at least it's done now, right?! I hope I didn't totally ruin your weekend back in January. ;)

Glad you returned to finish - it was worth the wait :)

Thanks for reading!

Welcome back and glad you finished it out. I'd never read a lot about cape may so it was good to see they actually had clams at the clam bake (I was thinking perhaps not after part 1). Do they have characters at dinner.

Oh yes they have clams! I'm not really a steamed clam person but I've seen people at dinner eating buckets of them. No characters at dinner though...:(

Thanks for another great dining report! Love the way you describe the food and experience!
Wonderful CL pics and views from your balcony @ AKL. Would love to stay here one day pixiedust:
I so enjoy sitting upstairs @ CHH, hopefully we will be able to fit it in this fall :)

Thanks for another great dining report! Love the way you describe the food and experience!
Wonderful CL pics and views from your balcony @ AKL. Would love to stay here one day pixiedust:
I so enjoy sitting upstairs @ CHH, hopefully we will be able to fit it in this fall :)

Hi Dawn! :wave2:

I'm pretty sure you're the one who told us to sit upstairs at CHH, so thanks for the tip. :thumbsup2

I'm glad you enjoyed the report and the pictures!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter