• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Is That A Crab Leg In Your Pocket? 10 Days of Dining with Pics!

After reading reviews on the DIS I decided to try the avocado margarita when we were at the Mexico pavillion last year......yum yum yum! I agree, the flower margarita sure did look pretty, though!

Is the avocado margarita spicy? We read about it, too, and we just weren't sure if we'd like it. I think you can get it at La Cava, right? I mean if you aren't eating at San Angel Inn?

I am just getting caught up and I will say that the family and I have decided that Tony's and La Hacienda would have to be on our dining list next go 'round :goodvibes Two wonderful reviews! You absolutely sold me on the shrimp tacos. They look lovely!! :thumbsup2

I think you will be pleased with both meals! Anyone who has read this review knows how I feel about La Hacienda, and Tony's is just too adorable.

Yummm-- La Hacienda looks delicious! I can't wait to eat there next Saturday-- that guac looks amazing!

Lucky you! Your trip is almost here! I'm sure you will have a great time at La Hacienda and all over the world! :thumbsup2

Loving your reviews so far, especially CL at AKL the food looked delicious :goodvibes

I had to laugh at this as I thought we took it from you :rotfl2:

That's funny...:) Who knows where it came from. We love it, though, and we say it all the time now, as opposed to yum yum or mmm mmm which we used to say. I guess technically it all means the same thing. popcorn::

After our yummy and filling dinner at La Hacienda, we headed around the world to China. Even though we were really full, we were feeling a bit thirsty. I decided to try this:

This was from the little stand facing the lagoon. I believe it is either a peach or a mango green tea. Whatever it was called, I remember it being very sweet and sugary, and somewhat refreshing. It was really yummy, but it was hard to finish because I was still SO FULL from dinner!

Next up, breakfast from Sunshine Seasons and a sweet treat from Goofy's!

The next day we were up early and headed to Epcot for some of our favorite attractions in Future World. All morning, I was munching on a snack we'd gotten the day before at the candy shop on Main Street at MK:

Normally I'm not a huge fan of jelly beans, but I like Jelly Bellies. What I love about the candy store on Main Street is that you can pick your flavors, so this bag represents all of my favorites and none of the ones I can't stand (like buttered popcorn or licorice blech!). I enjoyed these pretty much all day long.

DP wanted to try something from Sunshine Seasons that she'd seen reviewed here on the boards. She selected this:

The blueberry croissant bread pudding

We had a hard time getting a good photo of it. It just looked so sad and pitiful in this little paper cup all alone.

Here is the view of the first bite I tried:

This photo's pretty terrible, too!

DP really liked this and said she'd get it again. I just didn't care too much for it, though. It was sweet and not bad, but I found myself either wishing it had some sauce or wishing it had more fruit. It was just kind of plain and tasted like a bowl of buttery croissant without the light fluff and crispiness that I expect when eating croissants. I found the flavor pretty bland and wouldn't eat it again.

Regardless of our differing opinions, we were both so pleased we tried the croissant bread pudding, after reading about it (and drooling over it) for almost a year before our trip. So we achieved one of our goals, which was to try some of the things we've never tried before!

Coming up next, lunch at Tangeriene Café and dinner at Via Napoli!

Can't wait to hear about your next 2 stops, which are some of my personal faves. Being a carnivore wanna see if there are some yummy veggie options may be missing out on.

I agree with you 100% regarding the croissant berry pudding from Sunshine Seasons. DH and I tried it last year and we were both underwhelmed. Like you, I found it to be very bland (tasteless actually) and felt it would have benefitted greatly with the addition of a fruit or vanilla sauce or simply extra fruit. Glad we tried it once, but this was a case of one and done, LOL.

Thanks for the update! Looking forward to your review of VN. :goodvibes

Before we left Future World, we made one more stop. We just had to go visit our favorite creatures, the manatees!

Love these guys! I guess it was lunch time for them, too.

All that lettuce eating made us hungry, so we headed over to WS for lunch.

We caught our destination in our sights as we walked:

Morocco, complete with its mysterious construction wall. Of course now we know what is going up behind that wall...

For lunch, we were both really looking forward to a meal we'd had last year, quick service vegetarian platter from Tangeriene Café.

We decided to split one, since we knew we had a big dinner coming up later.

This is a good portion, and it comes with a variety of salads, falafel, and hummus, as well as a whole pita.

While we enjoyed this, we didn't really think it was as good as last year. :sad: I think they changed their falafel recipe. The fritters were shaped a little differently, and they were denser and not as yummy and doughy. Besides that, the spice was not as good as last year. Don't get me wrong; this was a good meal and one I'd eagerly get again. It just wasn't quite as good as the year before.

The pita was nice and helped to fill us up since we were splitting.

Probably because I'd eaten a pretty small breakfast, I was still a bit hungry after sharing this plate.

I decided we should try some of their much acclaimed baklava (much acclaimed by the staff inside as we were ordering lunch, I mean). We headed back in, and we chose this:

The pistachio nut baklava

By now, you've probably all caught on that DP loves anything pistachio flavored, which is why we chose this.

This was ok, not the best I've had, but not the worst either. Personally I like my baklava basically drowning and saturated in the honey syrup, and I found this to be quite dry. The dusting of pistachio crumbs on top was a nice thought, but it made each bite that much drier.

Nonetheless, we were satisfied with the couple bites of sweetness we each had. We would definitely return to TC, but we would skip the dessert next time.

Coming up, one of my favorite meals of the trip, Via Napoli! pixiedust:

Can't wait to hear about your next 2 stops, which are some of my personal faves. Being a carnivore wanna see if there are some yummy veggie options may be missing out on.

I'm glad to share the veggie options with you! Pretty much everything at VN is decadent and delicious, I've decided, whether it's got salami on it or not. :rotfl:

I agree with you 100% regarding the croissant berry pudding from Sunshine Seasons. DH and I tried it last year and we were both underwhelmed. Like you, I found it to be very bland (tasteless actually) and felt it would have benefitted greatly with the addition of a fruit or vanilla sauce or simply extra fruit. Glad we tried it once, but this was a case of one and done, LOL.

Thanks for the update! Looking forward to your review of VN. :goodvibes

I'm glad I'm not the only one out here! Thanks for reaffirming my opinion about the croissant bread pudding. Hopefully will be getting to VN tonight. Oh how I was I was going to VN tonight. But writing the review and seeing the pics will take me back...:love:

After our nice light lunch and an afternoon by the pool, we were more than ready for dinner by the time our Via Napoli reservation time arrived! :banana:

We walked over, via the international gateway, and within minutes, we saw the restaurant:

We were both really excited to eat here, in part because we love the feel of "Italy" and also because, since there are really no attractions there, we haven't spent much time there in the past. We thought eating in "Italy" seemed like an excellent way to enjoy the ambience.

We checked in for our reservation and were seated right away. We'd requested to sit on the "patio", which is actually an indoor room akin to an Arizona room, as opposed to the actual patio, which they call the "garden."

We loved our spot right alongside the windows, with all of the natural light, but also with air conditioning!

I decided to start with something I'd noticed here on the dis, the white sangria:

Mm mm mm!

And here is another view of the fruit:

This was delicious, and I thoroughly enjoyed it.

It was nice, light and refreshing.

For nostalgia's sake, DP decided to order the Rosa Regale, since I'd given it to her as part of a birthday gift at DW the year before.

Right away, she regretted that she hadn't ordered just a simple glass of red wine, as this is pretty sweet and more suitable for a celebration toast or as dessert.

Even though it wasn't what she was in the mood for, she ended up enjoying it and drank every last drop.

For starters, I ordered a caprese salad:

This was tasty and mild, and it came with a pretty good portion of the raw mozzarella. I enjoyed it but was a little jealous of DP's choice.

She decided to try the fennel and green salad:

This salad was perfect! The fennel complimented the greens and the Italian cheese perfectly! It came with a nice, light vinaigrette. She shared it with me, and when we return to VN, I will be choosing this to start. It was that good!

For a meal, we'd decided to split a small Quattro Formaggi:

First off, this was not very small, even though it was called "small." Next, it was so rich and heavy! I think we made the wrong choice in ordering this, as we could barely finish it. After all the cheese I'd eaten in my appetizer, this was just a little (gasp!) too much cheese. It was definitely good; the crust was nice and light, and the cheeses were delicious in flavor. Next time, though, we'd probably go for something with a little more balance, such as a pizza with red sauce.

After stuffing ourselves with about as much cholesterol as should be legally permitted in one sitting, we were ready for a treat to end the meal. We were both too full for dessert, so DP decided to have a cappuccino:

This was good and she enjoyed it a lot!

I decided to have something I'd missed out on when we were in the actual country of Italy:

Limoncello!

This was a fantastic way to end the meal. It was strong but sweet and sour, and I absolutely loved it. I drank every last drop (after DP managed to sneak a few sips).

Overall our meal at VN was just so good. The service was prompt and attentive, the ambience in the patio area of the restaurant is very relaxing and warm, and the meal was satisfying. We can't wait to return!

I also thought it needed something when i looked at it, so I added cream from the coffee fixings and that made it perfect.

Another great run down. Think I will give the veggie platter a try next time despite the falafel. I made the mistake of having my first falafel on the streets of NYC and nothing has ever compared so no matter how good (or bad) it is.

That sangria looks delish. Was it overly sweet? I generally only like red sangria but this one looks so darn good. And that fennel salad looks awesome. Gonna have to try that on r trip later this month.

I also thought it needed something when i looked at it, so I added cream from the coffee fixings and that made it perfect.

Very inventive and great idea! :thumbsup2

Another great run down. Think I will give the veggie platter a try next time despite the falafel. I made the mistake of having my first falafel on the streets of NYC and nothing has ever compared so no matter how good (or bad) it is.

That sangria looks delish. Was it overly sweet? I generally only like red sangria but this one looks so darn good. And that fennel salad looks awesome. Gonna have to try that on r trip later this month.

The sangria was really not too sweet at all. I'm trying to think of how to compare it, but it was just a bit sweeter than a pinot grigio but not as sweet as something like white zinfandel or reisling.

The veggie platter is just such a nice sampling of different flavors, and it feels so light and healthful. I hope that if you do try it, you enjoy it. Your experience with falafel sounds like mine with New England clam chowder; once you have that in Boston, nothing else really compares..it has taken me a long time to stop thinking about the clam chowder in Boston...;)

Even though we weren't hungry after our delicious dinner at Via Napoli, I wanted to head to Norway for something sweet, knowing it would be the last night I'd have a chance to enjoy my favorite sweet snack!

Pretty soon, I had this in my sights:

Bet you can't guess what I was planning to order:

Chocolate covered grapes take two! (see only 4 grapes this time)

Even though I was pretty full, I thoroughly enjoyed these. They were perfect!

DP decided to branch out a little, and she ordered this:

I don't know what this is called, but you can see what it is. Basically it's a caramel bar with some pecans on top and a thin layer of crust on the bottom.

It didn't pack up too well-they wrapped in paper, and when we removed it, it stuck in lots of places and we ended up eating little bits of paper now and again. This picture was taken after we peeled off lots of bits of the paper.

Last year, she had this:
wdw2012365copy.jpg

This was great! In fact, we both preferred this to what she had this year. This year's choice was just really heavy and had so much caramel. It might be perfect for a caramel lover or as a small little piece of candy. I thought it was too much for an entire bar.

My favorite thing from Karamel Kuche is still hands down the chocolate and caramel drizzled grapes. If they ever stop having those, I don't know what I'll do!!!

We headed back to the Beach Club and did something new for us: we watched the movie on the beach.

Tonight they were showing the Lion King, and we both really loved the feeling of being in Disney while watching it, right alongside the lagoon.

Next up, breakfast #2 from Beach Club Marketplace and snacks in Epcot!

I am seriously getting tempted to pour Hershey's syrup over grapes right now because that is all we have in the house LOL

Loved the updates! We really enjoyed the sangria at VN, we had the red last time but this time I believe I'll be ordering the white, it looks delicious!

The Werther's Chewy Caramel Bar (your DP's selection last year) is tied for my favourite snack from KK, it's amazing! My second favourite is the milk chocolate caramel with sea salt but I think I may have to try those grapes next time, they look wonderful. :thumbsup2 I may even be able to convince myself that they're healthy. :lmao: Hey, it's fruit, right?

Thanks for more great reviews and pics! :goodvibes

Enjoying your review! Those grapes look so good. I am going to have to try them!

They are just so good! They are totally worth trying!

I am seriously getting tempted to pour Hershey's syrup over grapes right now because that is all we have in the house LOL

Doesn't sound bad to me. :rotfl2:

Loved the updates! We really enjoyed the sangria at VN, we had the red last time but this time I believe I'll be ordering the white, it looks delicious!

The Werther's Chewy Caramel Bar (your DP's selection last year) is tied for my favourite snack from KK, it's amazing! My second favourite is the milk chocolate caramel with sea salt but I think I may have to try those grapes next time, they look wonderful. :thumbsup2 I may even be able to convince myself that they're healthy. :lmao: Hey, it's fruit, right?

Thanks for more great reviews and pics! :goodvibes

The grapes are so so good! I am operating under the assumption they are totally healthy because they are fruit. Here is my general thought process...chocolate coated "x"= better than chocolate coated "y" when "x" equals fruit and "y" = anything else. ;)

That white sangria was so refreshing, and let's face it, most days you can use a little refreshment when you're in steamy Orlando. I'm not much of a red wine drinker since I've been in my 30s (it just doesn't make me feel great), so I'm forced to stick to whites. The red sangrias look so dark and delicious, but the white was really good and so light.

Everything looks so good! VN is on our list of "something new to try" on our next trip. It's funny how we all fall into "habits" when we go to the World :rotfl: Ours are WPE, Nine Dragons and Garden Grill...not sure why...we just do and we love them every time. :thumbsup2

With your recommendations, we are definitely trying VN. After 4 trips of never eating in Italy, it's probably due time ;) Great report! Loving the all the pictures. :goodvibes

Everything looks so good! VN is on our list of "something new to try" on our next trip. It's funny how we all fall into "habits" when we go to the World :rotfl: Ours are WPE, Nine Dragons and Garden Grill...not sure why...we just do and we love them every time. :thumbsup2

With your recommendations, we are definitely trying VN. After 4 trips of never eating in Italy, it's probably due time ;) Great report! Loving the all the pictures. :goodvibes

Thanks! It's true we all have our favorites and have all tried different things that we love. Personally we love having little rituals, like that we go to Cape May on our last night in WDW. It's hard to stray from the things you can count on that brought you such happy memories between trips. I'd say VN is definitely worth the venturing out, though! It is a source of some new very happy memories for us! The trouble is, the more places we try, the more that become "must-do" and this means the fewer new places we'll have a chance to try. We've got to draw the line somewhere! ;)

I have never been to WPE, Nine Dragons or Garden Grill. I have especially always wanted to try WPE based on the reviews I've read and pics I've seen, but we are just never really in DTD. We went once and I'll say "wasted" our meal on Fulton's. Should have tried WPE! Maybe next time...:thumbsup2

The next morning, we were up early again and we were so :sad1:, because it was our last full day.

We decided to start our day with a quick breakfast from the Marketplace, since I'd so enjoyed the egg and cheese sandwich we had there earlier in the week.

We weren't too adventurous this morning, and we chose the same thing again:

Egg and cheese sandwich on choice of bread with cheesy potato casserole

This was just as good this time around!

Here is an inside shot after we had cut the sandwich in half:

This normally comes with bacon, but because we asked for ours without, we got extra cheese. There was a white cheese (I honestly can't remember what cheese it was-maybe provolone?) and then some American cheese also.

We enjoyed the sandwich just as much this time, and once again the cheesy potato casserole was the star of the show.

Next time, maybe I'll ask for a double portion of those potatoes! Splitting those with DP was hard. Even though I was trying to be fair about it, I kept trying to sneak little extra bites.

Next up, a snack from Japan and Cape May Clambake (aka crab leg buffet!).

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter