Is Disney Springs Fun? To Me It Just Looks Like A High-End Outdoor Shopping Center

Even in its life as DTD, we went once and were underwhelmed. The shops were mostly nothing we couldn't find at home. The food was nothing we couldn't find at home. It was just another outdoor mall to us. We never plan to waste time there again. I'd rather sit by the pool and get QS from the resort than go back.

Just remember, not everyone has "just another outdoor mall" and has those particular stores where they come from. Same goes for the food options. :flower3:
It's not particularly what I want to do, but I do know a lot of people who love to shop while they are on vacation.
I do like some of the food options at DS, but I'm with you on the pool! :sunny:

It's an outdoor mall with entertainment. A giant, classy outdoor mall with lots of entertainment options, but still just an outdoor mall. We have giant outdoor malls in Chicagoland (oddly enough, considering our winters.) Never have seen the need to spend much time there at Disney.

Downtown Disney, in its various forms, was colorful and fun. From what I can see of Disney Springs, it looks like nothing more than a high-end outdoor shopping center. What is there to do at Disney Springs that doesn't involve eating or spending money at upscale retailers?
By your statement I would say that it is still colorful and fun because they didn't take anything away from the old DTD they just added stuff. So if you liked DTD before it was DS then you will have fun.
Like others have said I love all of the variety of live entertainment that comes out every night after 7pm

By your statement I would say that it is still colorful and fun because they didn't take anything away from the old DTD they just added stuff. So if you liked DTD before it was DS then you will have fun.
Like others have said I love all of the variety of live entertainment that comes out every night after 7pm

But they did take away Pleasure Island! I wish they could have kept part of that concept, as well as adding the new.

While I'm not a huge fan of the newer shops (they are rather high end for my budget, and I'd rather spend my money on Disney merchandise while I'm there), I still love the atmosphere and the shopping over on the Marketplace Side. To me, that was my favorite area even when it was still Downtown Disney. I use Marketplace to fill a void on the days i don't want to burn a park ticket (arrival days, days before I go to MVMCP or MNSSHP, etc), but still want to be surrounded by the Disney feel :)

But they did take away Pleasure Island! I wish they could have kept part of that concept, as well as adding the new.
One thing I wish they had kept was the comedy club. That was the main thing I was interested in seeing there. The shopping and restaurants look fun, but while they have more typical nightclubs, they got rid of the one that offered something different.

Disney Springs is not, nor does it pretend to be a theme park. But fun, oh yes it is! Disney vibe is plentiful, particularly in the Marketplace end. I love being able to shop there and find nearly everything that is to be found in WDW, so I end up picking up pretty much all my souvenirs here.

It's an experience, and one I found enjoyable enough to repeat 3 times on my last (8-day) trip. DD and I never had a TS meal, nor an adult beverage, and our purchases were limited to a few select Christmas gifts for children but we absolutely loved the attractive landscape and building designs, both of which are a pleasure to behold in daylight and after dark. We snacked and enjoyed coffee each visit, and it seemed that there was entertainment around every corner. The entertainment was not hidden, but performed on open air patios, stages, in nooks and crannies, and small plaza areas where everyone could stop for a while to enjoy it. And it was good, too! Best of all, there was NO cover charge, admission, or parking costs!!!

I still miss Pleasure Island's Adventurers Club and Comedy Warehouse, but after a couple visits, they started to wear thin. We didn't see/hear the same entertainers twice in our 3 evenings at DS. Not to say they weren't there... but my point is that our random wandering never coincided with a repeat performance. Funny thing, we would not have minded a bit.

We also found a different shopping vibe here. Keep in mind that we were window shoppers only, but we encountered the friendliest staff there and spent more time than you could imagine chatting in stores that caught our interest. It was a lot of fun for two woman, and we appreciated it on so many levels. It will be a very different visit this fall, when our DHs and my 2 DGSs are with us but both of us are really looking forward to going back.

I felt this way before I was there last October and honestly DS night was one of the best of our trip. They had live music everywhere waking around having some drinks and the food offerings have improved it is a really fun place.

We don't care for it at all. Every once in while we'll pop in to grab something from World of Disney we forgot to grab in a park, or to the Marvel store to see if there's anything new in there, but otherwise avoid it. Every time we've gone, regardless of day or time, it's just felt like an overcrowded overpriced mall. Nothing fun about that.

It is what it was always suppose to be a shopping and entertainment center. So yes it does slightly feel like an outdoor mall. That isn't a bad thing as Disney Springs was always suppose to be just that. We like to go for dinner after an early Park day and the browse the shops. Even the known stores have some special Disney items you can't get anywhere else. On top of that it was nice during our last trip when our shoes got soaked to go buy a second pair at a store we like so we now had 2 pair. We didn't ever have to leave property but could get anything we needed clothing wise with out compromising on style. The food and dessert offering are great too. Throw in the bands and dance parties and stuff and it can make a lovely night away from the parks.

Even in its life as DTD, we went once and were underwhelmed. The shops were mostly nothing we couldn't find at home. The food was nothing we couldn't find at home. It was just another outdoor mall to us. We never plan to waste time there again. I'd rather sit by the pool and get QS from the resort than go back.

Agreed. We'll go to the lego store (after Raglan Road weekend brunch) if we have reward dollars but mainly that's because the tax is cheaper than at home.

We almost always have a car and are happy to go off site for cheaper stuff and food.

But that was a thousand years ago in Disney time. Our first trip was in 2010 and it all closed while I was in very early research mode.

DS also serves the WDW client, like if you've ever had nail polish get on clothes when traveling - had it happen early in my career, wherein I learned to never throw last minute toiletries in your suitcase outside of an appropriate case, and when I'd never been happier to see a J Crew that was still open at 5 after 9 - good job New Haven J Crew! I've lost so many pairs of nice sunglasses, including at WDW, that its embarrassing, so its nice to have somewhere to buy/replace clothing that you forgot/when your luggage is lost/you're (I'm) an idiot. My ex hasn't bought a bathing suit on purpose since before 2007. All were acquired on vacations, all over the world, and 3 from Disney. Its nice to be a quick Uber ride over to some decent shops that don't just carry stuff that my beloved Golden Girls would have enjoyed like in some of the resort gift shops:)

It's been roughly 16 years since my last visit to WDW, when Pleasure Island was in full swing, but I was there also in 1991. I remember there being an area of shops that sold Disney merchandise away from the parks, but nowhere near as big as what DS appears to be. Does anyone remember this, or what it was called?

I was a fan of Pleasure Island, especially the Comedy Warehouse, and the nightly New Year's Eve celebration they had all year.

There are now way too many stores at DS for me. I used to enjoy shopping in that area back when there were fewer stores, but I'm less likely to shop there now, as I find the place too overgrown. I understand as others have said it may be intended more for international visitors than for Americans who have many of the same stores back home.

So much live entertainment there now. Even better than what Downtown Disney ever was. We have still yet to set foot in any of the actual high end stores. We do however enjoy walking around and enjoying the vibe, the many food offerings, the tons of entertainment, and window shopping.
Huh?? Pre Sept 2008 ??

MG

Just looked on the website, and WOW! They sure added a ton of stores.

Two questions in case anyone knows the answer:

I really love the world of Disney store there. But if that's all I'm going for, I'm wondering if it's likely that I can find everything there elsewhere on property? Is there anything exclusive to the world of Disney store?

And as far as Vera Bradley Disney collection, would that only be at the Vera store in Disney springs or can I find that in a park?

I stop at Disney Springs in the off-season if the parks are closed early and I don't want my night to end yet.

I've also gone there during the day for a new pair of flip-flops. So it's nice to have some shops there that aren't just Mickey Mouse merchandise.

I wish there was more to eat there after midnight, but even the late night bars are starting to close their kitchens at that point.

Otherwise, Disney Springs is not a must-visit, unless you love shopping or have a very long trip and need a change in scenery.

It's a nice feeling to walk around there. It seems a lot like Broadway at the Beach, a shopping/entertainment area at Myrtle Beach. We enjoy looking in the Disney Store, getting a treat at Ghiradelli, or having supper at the Earl of Sandwich. Not an essential part of a WDW vacation for us, but enjoyable

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter