• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Is Disney Springs Fun? To Me It Just Looks Like A High-End Outdoor Shopping Center

DQ is still there, as is Cirque. There's also the AMC Movie theater, bowling. Hot air balloon ride thing (forget its' name), ride in an Amphicar. There are some small shows on the stage.

But yeah, it's lots of shopping and lots of eating too. Which isn't a bad thing...some really yummy stuff and cool things to buy. Not all is high end, either.

The point of Disney Springs is to offer a wide variety of things to do to for the locals, visitors, and mainly to Disney guests so they can get direct transportation there and not have to leave the Disney Bubble. Everything that you enjoyed from DS that has been around for years is still there (depends how many years you want to go back though).

Their recent expansion was done to include a bunch of retailers so Disney guests don't have to leave their grounds if they want to go shopping as non Disney shops. So you'll find Kate Spade, Trophy Room (Michael Jordans sons boutique), Under Armour, etc. But like Klay said, all the stuff that's been there for years is still there..House of Blues, Cirque Du Soleil, Dine In Theater, Splitsville, Lego Store, World of Disney, Characters In Flight (Hot air ballon), Disney Quest. There's a ton to do at DS..The new stuff they added is just an added bonus if you want to check out some stores. It's really nice now

Downtown Disney, in its various forms, was colorful and fun. From what I can see of Disney Springs, it looks like nothing more than a high-end outdoor shopping center. What is there to do at Disney Springs that doesn't involve eating or spending money at upscale retailers?

What you've described sounds fun to me! :p

But I suppose if you don't want to shop, eat at good restaurants, or drink cocktails at some interesting places this might not be the place for you. Saying that honestly as I'm not sure what else you would do there?

Last edited:

I was excited to check out the new Disney Springs on our last trip but I found myself gravitating to the Marketplace side where I still find the vibe and Disney magic and less of the big city, high end shopping feel. The big World of Disney store, Christmas store, Pooh's corner, Basin, Arribas brothers, the Lego Store and others are still there and the same as they've always been :)
I think the new addition to Disney Springs is nice and it's definitely beautiful to walk through it's just not "Disney" to me... which I think was their plan anyways. There is still things to check out even if you're not into high end shopping. The Coca Cola store with rooftop bar was pretty cool. And I can't wait to get my hands on a Sprinkles Cupcake!

I realize that for some people shopping is about the most fun you can have...I'm not that guy. I do enjoy shopping for Disney merch at DS. I love that there's a humongous store like World Of Disney that is totally filled up with Disney stuff, I like the Art Of Animation, and the Christmas shop. Other than the restaurants, that's about the extent of fun at DS for me.(@Klayfish had some constructive suggestions though.)

I think the object of the high end clothing & accessory stores at DS is designed with the international tourist in mind. Typically folks (especially from South America) come to the U.S. to buy up items that are more affordable than they are at home, even though the prices aren't the cheapest by U.S. standards. Unfortunately for the proprietors of those shops recently installed at DS, the Brazilian economy tanked about the same time those shops were opening.

So to answer your original question, there are things to do that don't entail eating or shopping, but the overall vibe is indeed a high-end shopping center.

One more thought: If you like ice cream, stopping by Ghiardelli isn't a bad idea at all. :)

I wouldn't call it fun but its a very nice break from the parks and resorts. Sometimes we go there for dinner if we end our park day a little early. Its a nice place for a stroll and some shopping if thats what you're in the mood for. Be warned however, that it can get really crowded.

It basically is a fancy shopping center, but that's okay. It's not something the kids will love, but it has some great restaurants and is fun in the evening when there is entertainment. It's a nice break for a non-park day or evening.

So much live entertainment there now. Even better than what Downtown Disney ever was. We have still yet to set foot in any of the actual high end stores. We do however enjoy walking around and enjoying the vibe, the many food offerings, the tons of entertainment, and window shopping.

I was excited to check out the new Disney Springs on our last trip but I found myself gravitating to the Marketplace side where I still find the vibe and Disney magic and less of the big city, high end shopping feel. The big World of Disney store, Christmas store, Pooh's corner, Basin, Arribas brothers, the Lego Store and others are still there and the same as they've always been :)
I think the new addition to Disney Springs is nice and it's definitely beautiful to walk through it's just not "Disney" to me... which I think was their plan anyways. There is still things to check out even if you're not into high end shopping. The Coca Cola store with rooftop bar was pretty cool. And I can't wait to get my hands on a Sprinkles Cupcake!

My feelings exactly. I don't dislike the new side of DS, it just doesn't have quite the same Disney feel as the Marketplace side. The new side feels more like a mall. The Coca Cola store opened the day before we left on our last visit and we didn't get to go. Can't wait to check it out.

Oh, and as for Sprinkles.... drooooooool... :cake:

Downtown Disney, in its various forms, was colorful and fun.

How was it fun?

What is there to do at Disney Springs that doesn't involve eating or spending money at upscale retailers?

What was there to do at dtd that didn't involve those things?

The place was and is a nightmare to me. It has always been and remains a mall. All they've done is change how some of it looks and added even more stores, and have made it even easier to not know where the heck I am while trying to get to and from Raglan Road.

Downtown Disney, in its various forms, was colorful and fun. From what I can see of Disney Springs, it looks like nothing more than a high-end outdoor shopping center. What is there to do at Disney Springs that doesn't involve eating or spending money at upscale retailers?

Yeah, I'm def. not a fan of the new area. We go to do a little shopping (Disney shopping on the Marketplace side) and to eat. The kids also like the dance party's they have too.

I find the outdoor entertainment at Disney Springs to be fun! I'm a huge band geek and was happy when I saw a brass band playing outdoors. Although shopping can be pricey, I find it fun just to go and look in all of the Disney stores. The bakeries are exceptional :lovestruc

I'll second that! We've had a great time listening to some of the bands, particularly a great cover band in what I think is called Waterview Park in the Landing area. We also enjoy the bar area of the Boathouse, which usually has fun entertainers. I love walking around there at night, people watching, catching some fun music, and even stopping in at a couple of places like Jock Lindsey's Hangar Bar for some munchies and a beer (for me...hubby doesn't drink). I'm a foodie, so I love the new food options, too. I have had a few great meals at the Boathouse and Art Smith's Homecoming. Vivoli il Gelato is phenomenal, and Sprinkles cupcakes are good (if a bit overpriced) too! We also tried The Daily Poutine last year, but I can't say I loved it. I may give it another try, though. It was crazy hot that day. For old favorites, we love Raglan Road, WP Express, Earl of Sandwich and of course Ghiradelli's. I'm looking forward to trying Blaze and D-Luxe burger next time. The shopping....yeah. Doesn't thrill me, and there's not much you can't find in an upscale mall, but it's still fun to look around a little, and there are some unique shops scattered in there.

"Fun" is all relative.
I enjoyed Downtown Disney for just walking around and getting that Disney Vibe without having to go into a park. Sometimes we would never leave the Marketplace side. Between the Lego Store, and Disney Store, Christmas store and art store, we just loved spending a few hours there on our arrival or departure day.

The rest of it (in its old incarnations) was never a draw to me .. I wasn't interested in partying at Pleasure Island and the West Side was boring if you weren't interested in a movie, bowling or one of the gigantic restaurants there.

I probably will feel the same about Disney Springs. It will be cool to walk around for a while and grab a different bite to eat. I will enjoy walking around, but the draw to me is more of the atmosphere and not the high-end shopping stores.

"Fun?" .. for an afternoon maybe (if you've never been there) .. but for a longer period of time? Probably not unless you really like shopping (which some do!).

Still costs money, but movies and bowling are an option. It's a nice alternative to the parks. I know most can probably do that at home, but we've done both and enjoyed some lower key family time.
Coca Cola has the polar bear meet and greet now that really cool. Haha no pun intended. There's some really neat window shopping to do there too, and the new rooftop bar. A family can do the soft drink from around the world tasting for a nomimal fee. We had a fun time doing this.
Over the holidays, they had the nightly drone show, which we didn't get to see, it was cancelled the night we were there due to winds.
My DS saw it and said it was neat.
I think there can be something for everyone no matter if you want to spend money and if so, how much.
With the addition, however, there is a ton of walking, and if you are using Disney buses, the walk to some of the buses alone is daunting.
It might not be for everyone, but I think the additons are beautiful!

Even in its life as DTD, we went once and were underwhelmed. The shops were mostly nothing we couldn't find at home. The food was nothing we couldn't find at home. It was just another outdoor mall to us. We never plan to waste time there again. I'd rather sit by the pool and get QS from the resort than go back.

I'm kinda in between. I mean, I'd rather be at DS than a restaurant that's NOT on Disney property, just because it still feels as though you're in the bubble - the restaurants are just that much more themed and "fun", if you will.

That said, its WAY too big imo, and yes, basically a very glorified outdoor mall. I did like going in the Star Wars shop, and a few others, but I probably wouldn't plan a day around it. Maybe an evening out type of thing.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter