Is Disney Springs Fun? To Me It Just Looks Like A High-End Outdoor Shopping Center

When we went in October, we went over to eat one night and mainly stuck to the "old" shops and stuff. We did however wander over to the Coke place because we were told by another guest while in line for EE when at AK that they had the coke float flight for about $10, and we thought that would be a great "dessert" we could all share for cheap. We also went in to that japanese shirt shop and picked up a really cute Toy Story shirt for DS that was styled like Donkey Kong and was only $10.

DS also serves the WDW client, like if you've ever had nail polish get on clothes when traveling - had it happen early in my career, wherein I learned to never throw last minute toiletries in your suitcase outside of an appropriate case, and when I'd never been happier to see a J Crew that was still open at 5 after 9 - good job New Haven J Crew! I've lost so many pairs of nice sunglasses, including at WDW, that its embarrassing, so its nice to have somewhere to buy/replace clothing that you forgot/when your luggage is lost/you're (I'm) an idiot. My ex hasn't bought a bathing suit on purpose since before 2007. All were acquired on vacations, all over the world, and 3 from Disney. Its nice to be a quick Uber ride over to some decent shops that don't just carry stuff that my beloved Golden Girls would have enjoyed like in some of the resort gift shops:)
LOL! Funny about the sunglasses. I lost a pair as soon as we got to HS on our first day in 2013. I stuck in front pocket of my purse to put on the muppet 3D glasses. Well, DS must have bumped against my purse climbing up into my lap. I found what turned out to be the best pair of sunglasses I've ever owned (comfort, durability, etc) in the shop outside Philharmagic later that day at MK. They lasted until the begining of this past July, when I wore them on the waterslides at Dollywood Splash Country, and at end of day realized they now had spiderwebbed scratch marks on one of the lenses. I'd almost bought a similar "back up" pair on our Alaskan cruise in May but hadn't. Searched all over and finally found the closest pair to them I could at Epcot in October (although not quite as comfortable). Withinn a month I'd put them in seat of my car when we got out somewhere as it had gotten dark. Forgot and sat on them and broke them. So I'm definitely experienced in the replacing sunglasses at WDW department .

It's an outdoor mall with entertainment. A giant, classy outdoor mall with lots of entertainment options, but still just an outdoor mall. We have giant outdoor malls in Chicagoland (oddly enough, considering our winters.) Never have seen the need to spend much time there at Disney.

This is my thoughts exactly.

We don't care for it at all. Every once in while we'll pop in to grab something from World of Disney we forgot to grab in a park, or to the Marvel store to see if there's anything new in there, but otherwise avoid it. Every time we've gone, regardless of day or time, it's just felt like an overcrowded overpriced mall. Nothing fun about that.

It is very crowded at night and so I prefer to just hang out at one of the parks, MK, EPCOT, HS, and AK, checking out all the shops I want to check out without all the day crowds or I would rather spend the time relaxing at my resort or checking out one of the other resorts.

It is just a mall. Some stores that we enjoy visiting and some pretty good (though probably overpriced) food options. But as others have mentioned, it can get super crowded, especially on weekends and even weekday nights. We'll probably visit though our next trip to eat at Raglan Road (several folks in our family really enjoy it) and maybe walk around and grab a few drinks. Won't do a ton of shopping though.

I truly enjoy going to Disney Springs; I'm a shopper (albeit one who also periodically gets irritated at the lack of plus sized clothing over there) and am excited about all the new dining opportunities they have now. But, that said, I don't think we're heading over there on the next visit; too many other things we'd like to do around the resort.

I'm not sure what you're asking?. Since the premiere of the new Disney Springs, we have not gone into or shopped any of the high-end new stores. We go into World of Disney and the original DTD shops but we don't really have any interest in any of the high-end stuff.
You said that there is more live entertainment there now than when it was Downtown Disney.
Pre Semptember 2008 Pleassure Island was in existence, which had a lot of live entertainment.

It was the best part of WDW.

MG

Downtown Disney, in its various forms, was colorful and fun. From what I can see of Disney Springs, it looks like nothing more than a high-end outdoor shopping center. What is there to do at Disney Springs that doesn't involve eating or spending money at upscale retailers?

Glad you asked this as I was kind of wondering about the same thing?

You said that there is more live entertainment there now than when it was Downtown Disney.
Pre Semptember 2008 Pleassure Island was in existence, which had a lot of live entertainment.

It was the best part of WDW.

MG

I wasn't referring to Pleasure Island or DTD pre-2008. I was talking about what it was before the Disney Springs rebranding. And I think it's pretty darn enjoyable now even compared to pre-2008. While I loved the Adventurer's Club and the Comedy Warehouse I had/have no desire to go to a nightclub or a bar. YMMV.

Nobody has to go to DS if it isn't your thing. Plenty of other stuff to do on and around property.

I basically agree with you OP. We have gone there each trip for years, but we enjoy the 'Disney' type stores in the Market Place, and the ambiance of that general area. We have eaten at some of the restaurants, but that's not our main interest in going there. We, personally, don't vacation to 'shop' - have all our favorite places at home to do our shopping.

Downtown Disney, in its various forms, was colorful and fun. From what I can see of Disney Springs, it looks like nothing more than a high-end outdoor shopping center. What is there to do at Disney Springs that doesn't involve eating or spending money at upscale retailers?
We went to see the holiday drone show and thought we'd look around and get something to eat as well. It is like a mall that is near me, but outside. We walked around for 30 minutes and were done.
I understand that maybe 70% of the country doesn't have access to something like this, so I get the attraction. Personally, I'd rather go back to my resort that I'm paying for and hang out there.

I don't want to hijack OPs thread but feel silly starting a whole new one.. do they still have the little train for kids in The Marketplace area? My son is old enough now that he'd probably enjoy it but I'm curious if it is even still there? I feel like I saw it on our September trip but can't really say for sure.

Have to say, I was there in October and hated it. The bus drops you off in the middle of the mall and to get to the boat to go to the marketplace was such a long walk and I had to ask several people where the boat was because the signing was horrible. I was staying at Pop Century and the bus stop was, of course, all the way on the other side of the bus stop. Was very inconvenient, but as a value resort guest, I'm used to it. As for the new stores, I didn't find one I would shop in, all too expensive for me, although I did get a cupcake at Sprinkles, it was ok.

I don't want to hijack OPs thread but feel silly starting a whole new one.. do they still have the little train for kids in The Marketplace area? My son is old enough now that he'd probably enjoy it but I'm curious if it is even still there? I feel like I saw it on our September trip but can't really say for sure.
Both the train and the carousel are still there

Have to say, I was there in October and hated it. The bus drops you off in the middle of the mall and to get to the boat to go to the marketplace was such a long walk and I had to ask several people where the boat was because the signing was horrible. I was staying at Pop Century and the bus stop was, of course, all the way on the other side of the bus stop. Was very inconvenient, but as a value resort guest, I'm used to it. As for the new stores, I didn't find one I would shop in, all too expensive for me, although I did get a cupcake at Sprinkles, it was ok.
from where the bus drops you off, as soon as you go under the arch you look to your right and you can see the entrance to the World of Disney store in Marketplace, you don't need to take the boat at all

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter