Is Coronavirus affecting your travel plans?

It's so tough. We are driving so the fact that I don't have a flight scheduled is helping me not be extremely worried in sense of refunds and such. I feel like if Disney is open, I'm going. I also feel like right now is the small window of travel for big groups like this that I will feel safe. Catch me going on a vacation in 50+ days....nope. But....I will go in the next 30 and feel a little better. It's tough. Will make decision the week of leaving I guess.

Same for us, we're supposed to leave next Saturday. Our flights are Southwest, so I'm not super worried about losing money there and we have a room only reservation, so we have a few days still to cancel without penalty even without Disney relaxing any fees.

What was said live by our President on tv, what was initially reported via articles, and what was officially put out by the government were updated quickly and clarified. I don't think anyone was getting things from poor sources in this instance so keep that in mind.

Thank you. I wasn’t reading questionable news sources, I was listening to the words coming out of the President’s mouth.

A petition has been going around and was signed by about 2/3 of all families so far in our public school district to close schools for now. No response from district yet.
At the same time, the school district is continuing on with all school sporting events but the only adults allowed at games are the coaches and referees. Not sure what this half-hearted attempt is. I say either have the games as usual or not.

Be careful which news sources you read, as some are not reporting it accurately. The travel ban specifies the Schengen area of Europe, the 26 countries of central Europe which have open borders. The ban does not include The UK as The UK is not part of the Schengen area and implies that it also does not include Ireland. Ireland is also not in the Schengen area and the island of Ireland is the only country NOT connected by a land border.

Also the travel ban does not consider the Eurostar and Channel Tunnel, which connects The UK to the Schengen area.

And then the ban states that it does not apply to US citizens, so how is that going to work? What about the thousand of US citizens currently in Europe for all sorts of reasons? They are just as much a risk of being carriers and spreaders as French or Germans. So the US citizens who may be infected can travel back to USA but French people who are completely clear are stopped from travelling to USA???

These are the countries in the Schengen area which are affected by the ban

1. Austria
  2. Belguim
  3. Czech Republic
  4. Denmark
  5. Estonia
  6. Finland
  7. France
  8. Germany
  9. Greece
  10. Hungry
  11. Iceland
  12. Italy
  13. Latvia
  14. Liechtenstein
  15. Lithuania
  16. Luxemburg
  17. Malta
  18. Netherlands
  19. Norway
  20. Poland
  21. Portugal
  22. Slovakia
  23. Slovenia
  24. Spain
  25. Sweden
  26. Switzerland
My understanding...US citizens will go through testing and quarantine.

I am canceling our early April Disneyland trip. We have already been sheltering in place as much as possible for the past week and will continue with that.

Not sure what to do about our early May family vacation to Hawaii...

I am canceling our early April Disneyland trip. We have already been sheltering in place as much as possible for the past week and will continue with that.

Not sure what to do about our early May family vacation to Hawaii...
If you're cancelling a California trip... I think i would cancel a trip to Hawaii as well. It's just supposed to get worse. Check to see how long you have to cancel without incurring fees, and make the decision by then based on what is going on..

If you're cancelling a California trip... I think i would cancel a trip to Hawaii as well. It's just supposed to get worse. Check to see how long you have to cancel without incurring fees, and make the decision by then based on what is going on..

I live in CA, in Santa Clara County, odds are there is more coronavirus here than pretty much anywhere I may travel. Disneyland is a place we go often, it isn't a big deal for us to cancel, that, combined with how packed in the parks are, it just is not a place I feel the need to be right now.

Hawaii is a very different trip, it is mostly hiking and staying in private residences. Also, it is a family trip, so I cannot unilaterally cancel that. My husband and I purchased 'cancel for any reason' insurance for the Hawaii trip for our portion so I am not too worried about waiting it out a bit more for them to decide their preference.

My guess is we will end up canceling, but I have time to make that decision and it will involve input from all involved.

I live in CA, in Santa Clara County, odds are there is more coronavirus here than pretty much anywhere I may travel. Disneyland is a place we go often, it isn't a big deal for us to cancel, that, combined with how packed in the parks are, it just is not a place I feel the need to be right now.

Hawaii is a very different trip, it is mostly hiking and staying in private residences. Also, it is a family trip, so I cannot unilaterally cancel that. My husband and I purchased 'cancel for any reason' insurance for the Hawaii trip for our portion so I am not too worried about waiting it out a bit more for them to decide their preference.

My guess is we will end up canceling, but I have time to make that decision and it will involve input from all involved.
That's awesome to have that insurance!! That would help my decision a lot as well, at least in feeling comfortable and not losing out on any money.

No out of state travel doesn't make much sense either. lol
The goal of these policies is to prevent employees from getting stuck in or out of what could become a containment zone. They want to have their employees still able to work if at all possible.

At this point I’m pretty sure my April trip to Disney is dead. But I can cancel up until 4/1 so I might as well let it ride and hope for some miraculous turn around.

I just booked flights with the southwest release for a Disney trip that would end our annual passes. I’m really hopeful that this will still occur

The goal of these policies is to prevent employees from getting stuck in or out of what could become a containment zone. They want to have their employees still able to work if at all possible.
True but it will only make sense for places that are well within the state's boundaries. No out of state travel makes less sense for those living near the borders of states (or what the PP mentioned countries) especially in large enough metros where the metro is part of multiple states.

My DD is due to take up a fellowship in NYC on April 1st. So far she's good to go (UK citizen and resident no travel within Europe). Her dad and I were going over to support her as she settled in but we live in Spain so off she goes on her own. I'm sad 😥

Completely unrelated, but my school district is closed today for E.Coli found in our water supply!

And our area just got 2 new cases of Corona.

So today my husband's company amped up their travel restrictions. Non-essential or non-vitally important business domestic travel is being curtailed until further notice.

My husband's business trip at the end of the month is still on for now because of what it is but is obviously up for being canceled. They just booked the flights yesterday. But long training in Omaha for instance has been postponed though there is a possibility that some may be able to be done via Skype. They'll probably just postpone it all rather than try to do some via Skype and the remaining training in-person down the road.

I feel for the people in the field right now. I'm not even sure how it would all be handled if my husband was still working on the power plant so I'm even more happy he got done with that at the end of 2019.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter