In light of all the medical posts...

Mayl

DIS Veteran
Please....

Call your doctor..

When you have (which has all been posted here)

Difficulty breathing
Numbness in arms/legs
Acute stomach pain
Chest pain
Broken (insert finger, toe, rib etc)
Hypertension

Do not make the Disney boards your 2nd, 3rd or even 10th place you stop. Call your doctor, HMO etc. If you are waiting for them the call back, just wait. You will NEVER get good advice here. Everyone will be happy to tell you about their cousin twice removed that once heard about their friend that might have had the same issue and either died on the spot, or lived to be 100.

Really, if you even think <I have random medical problem> and I should rush to the Disney boards to post and get advice, you already got a foot in the grave..

Mayl, I have a large wooden stake stuck in my ribs....what could be causing that? Do you think its serious? Is there some organic cream that will fix it? Should I wait a few days and see if it goes away?

Please....

Call your doctor..

When you have (which has all been posted here)

Difficulty breathing
Numbness in arms/legs
Acute stomach pain
Chest pain
Broken (insert finger, toe, rib etc)
Hypertension

Do not make the Disney boards your 2nd, 3rd or even 10th place you stop. Call your doctor, HMO etc. If you are waiting for them the call back, just wait. You will NEVER get good advice here. Everyone will be happy to tell you about their cousin twice removed that once heard about their friend that might have had the same issue and either died on the spot, or lived to be 100.

Really, if you even think <I have random medical problem> and I should rush to the Disney boards to post and get advice, you already got a foot in the grave..

Thanks, mom!

I've been having contractions every now and then... how do I know braxton hicks from real ones?

Mayl, I have a large wooden stake stuck in my ribs....what could be causing that? Do you think its serious? Is there some organic cream that will fix it? Should I wait a few days and see if it goes away?

Did Buffy the Vampire Slayer get to you???;)

I must have missed all the medical posts but I agree! :rotfl2:

It's not DIS related, but I'd also like to add that if you're having chest pain do not make an appointment at your doctors office or go to urgent care. Call 911. You can't waste time with chest pain.

I noticed I see these posts more at night and on weekends when most dr's aren't available. I think people are just scared and looking for advice.

Dr. Manamanah DoDoDoDoDo, MD

I work in drs office and I can tell you I have to tell a lot of people that state I need an appt today because I'm having chest pain. When I tell them "If you are having chest pain you need to go to the emergency room!" Some are not happy that I will not book an appt for them. There is nothing we can do for you here and you may be wasting valuable time!

Someone trying to kill a vampire stabbed you.:rolleyes1

I disagree with the OP. I do have an opinion to share though. I don't think it is helpful to stalk medical posts and tell everyone who posts about medical issues to call their doctor when usually they've clearly already done so. Nor is it helpful to tell them they aren't allowed to discuss it with anyone but their doctor and they are idiots for doing so. People can be under medical care and still have lots of questions. Learning from people who have been there can be very helpful.

I've actually received some pretty good advice here over the years, some of it medical. :scared1:

:rotfl2: I hardly think that anyone who can't breathe and is about to drop dead is going to crawl over to their computer to ask Disers what they think before calling 911.

I'd venture a guess and say that no Diser has ever forgone medical care because of the Dis. If someone has, they must still be in the hospital, because I've never seen a thead describing that here.:sick: :laughing:

It makes people feel better to talk about what ails them, and we all learn from it. Right, Mayl?

I disagree with the OP. I do have an opinion to share though. I don't think it is helpful to stalk medical posts and tell everyone who posts about medical issues to call their doctor when usually they've clearly already done so. Nor is it helpful to tell them they aren't allowed to discuss it with anyone but their doctor and they are idiots for doing so. People can be under medical care and still have lots of questions. Learning from people who have been there can be very helpful.

I've actually received some pretty good advice here over the years, some of it medical. :scared1:

I think people just want to talk about it. Nothing wrong with that. I have a hard time believing that anyone would actually use the dis as medical advice in place of calling a doctor.

Ya know, sometimes people HAVE called their doctor's but can't get in to see them right away. So the natural thing is to want to see if anyone else has experienced what they are going through. I think it's pretty cruddy to just assume that you know whether they have called their doctor yet or are going to call their doctor.

Back a couple of years ago when I felt something that I thought was a lump in my breast I called to see a doctor but I was a new patient and couldn't get in anywhere for at least 2 months. So in the meantime I had nothing else to do than either sit around by myself and agonize, or read and talk on message boards to see if anyone else might have any ideas what I was going through. It's called reaching out to people, and its human nature.

Ya know, sometimes people HAVE called their doctor's but can't get in to see them right away. So the natural thing is to want to see if anyone else has experienced what they are going through. I think it's pretty cruddy to just assume that you know whether they have called their doctor yet or are going to call their doctor.

Back a couple of years ago when I felt something that I thought was a lump in my breast I called to see a doctor but I was a new patient and couldn't get in anywhere for at least 2 months. So in the meantime I had nothing else to do than either sit around by myself and agonize, or read and talk on message boards to see if anyone else might have any ideas what I was going through. It's called reaching out to people, and its human nature.

That makes sense. Its only natural to seek out others that have a similar experience to ease your fears.

Ya know, sometimes people HAVE called their doctor's but can't get in to see them right away. So the natural thing is to want to see if anyone else has experienced what they are going through. So in the meantime I had nothing else to do than either sit around by myself and agonize, or read and talk on message boards to see if anyone else might have any ideas what I was going through. It's called reaching out to people, and its human nature.

I have to agree, mostly because of what I am going thru right now. After experiencing some scary symptoms, I made a trip to my doctor and had preliminary tests. Now, I'm in the "watch and wait" mode, until my next ultrasound. I find it comforting and proactive to see if anyone else has any opinions/experiences/ideas to help me get through the next 6 weeks. Please don't assume everyone who posts a medical question is using it as a replacement for professional medical advice, instead of a supplement to it.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter