Hobbies for two - can be friends or a couple or whatever

Hug, Tinkerbell. Prayers your next class was plain FUN! Sometimes churches, libraries, and community centers offer free classes or one day events too. Michaels used to offer (it cost money and I never did it) different classes as well.

These responses are great! The nice thing is most of them we can just try and see what happens easily, I want to add some new ones.

So far we do a drive every weekend to look at the world and see whats going on in the area.

We just started something on the silly and fun side. Picked up watching Diners Drive ins and Dives and have a list of places within driving distance so it’s been a pleasant way to explore.
If you are enjoying your diners, drive in and dives tour, a friend and I have done a similar thing with the show The Best Thing I Ever Ate. If you haven’t seen it each episode is a theme and they ask the food network star what is the best thing you have ever had that fits the theme. So like best thing covered in cheese, best dessert, best comfort food. We have done NYC, the boroughs, upper NJ, Boston area, and some in CT. I think R.I. is next.

We did that painting with a twist where you paint a canvas with your partner with a "teacher" leading the class. We hated it LOL. One woman ended up in tears. I was close. Most couples were not having the best time. If you aren't artistic I do not recommend. If you are then no worries, enjoy it. I feel like they could have done a comedy skit on our experience.
I'm gonna assume you missed the part where DH is a gifted artist and I need coloring books:rotfl:

Last edited:
I was also thinking of adding something Faith based since volunteering is so very close to my heart. Maybe once we settle a little bit more into a parish I can find something, hmmm or maybe start something. I have a relative who is super involved with her husband and they seem very grounded and happy.

We used to have so many couples friends but nearly all divorced so it got weird, now I feel like we need to really search out people like us.

Since you mentioned you like to drive, check out Onlyinyourstate for destinations you may not think of. We used this a lot during the pandemic and did lots of day drives. We also got a Scenic Byways map from our state tourism and drove all of the routes.

We did that painting with a twist where you paint a canvas with your partner with a "teacher" leading the class. We hated it LOL. One woman ended up in tears. I was close. Most couples were not having the best time. If you aren't artistic I do not recommend. If you are then no worries, enjoy it. I feel like they could have done a comedy skit on our experience.

I'm gonna assume you missed the part where DH is a gifted artist and I need coloring books:rotfl:

It really depends on the teacher and the studio. Most use an outlined pattern of the subject pre-traced onto the canvas for people to fill in with paint, just like coloring books. So all you have to do is follow along with the teacher and fill in the with paint instead of crayons. This way, EVERY student gets a painting at the end that looks like the subject being painted. (The tracings are covered up by the paint, so there is no heavy black outline at the end.)

Most students are really proud of themselves. And it's about having fun for an evening rather than knowing how to draw. :artist: One does NOT need to be able to draw in order to paint. Painting is painting - filling in shapes with colors. Drawing is drawing - drawing outlines, knowing size and perspective, being accurate to making outlines of shapes.

Of course, a more experienced or creative painter can always add more, dabble, blend the paints better, or add flourishes.

Lazy teachers don't pre-trace on the patterns onto the many canvases, but expect the students to be able to draw somewhat. They often aren't paid for all that prep time to trace on the patterns, so at some studios they don't do it. :mad:

One way to see if the studio you possibly want to paint at pre-traces patterns on is to check their Facebook page or their Yelp review photos. They often show photos of their students finished paintings to get people to sign up for classes. Good studios post LOTS of photos of finished paintings, not just an edited few of the best ones.

Take a good look at the photos, if a lot of them look like the students had to guess and fill in and draw the subjects in themselves, it will be really obvious as the paintings are all over the place. The ones that look similar, like each other, and like what the subjects are supposed to be, are the ones that used pre-traced on patterns.

DH and I volunteer at our local animal shelter together. We both walk big dogs and I also walk small dogs…so we are not always together but we go in/leave together and gossip about our new favorite dog or who got adopted this week on the way home. We have met such great friends there too.

DH & I do a lot of traveling to locations where we struggle to find anything to do in the evening. I've been thinking of looking into Geocaching hoping to have something to do after he gets off work & to see things we normally wouldn't happen upon. Thanks for the reminder.
I do it on my camping trips and enjoy it a great deal.

Escape rooms are a lot of fun too. I have done a bunch and try to do them just with a friend - most of them can be done w/ only 2. Or if you are more social you can do a room with others. I would highly recommend RI Riddle Room for creative theming & well thought out puzzles that are challenging but figure-out-able.

DW and I like to do genealogy research together. We're also training to walk the Camino de Santiago this fall, so we're walking together 5 days/week.

DH and I have our own hobbies separate from each other (him: 3-D printing, model kits, games and me: quilting, reading, gardening, writing) However, we both enjoy hitting the local flea markets and toy/antique shows each month. While I'm off this summer (teacher), I'm also going to suggest we go visit some local landmarks/parks we haven't been to in a while.

Since you mentioned you like to drive, check out Onlyinyourstate for destinations you may not think of. We used this a lot during the pandemic and did lots of day drives. We also got a Scenic Byways map from our state tourism and drove all of the routes.
That's a cool idea and also reminds me about Waymarking.com, which is run by the same people as Geocaching.com but has a lot of different types of things to find, including quirky ones.

https://waymarking.com/

They even have Disneyland and WDW survey marks:

https://waymarking.com/cat/details.aspx?f=1&guid=ff71a485-d188-4310-b330-6851d8fee215

https://waymarking.com/cat/details.aspx?f=1&guid=89d84115-cf6a-4f86-a168-885c18e94098

I haven't looked at the Waymarking site in a long time so I don't know how active it is, but it might be worth people's time taking a look at it.

While they decided to sell the boat last year, my parents have always really enjoyed fishing together. Lately, they've been playing a lot of pickleball.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter