• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

In-A-Gadda-Da-Eata - Dining Report 7/27/08 - 8/2/08 w/ Pics - Updated 9/2

I can't believe there is someone else that "has a thing" about chicken on the bone! My DH won't eat chicken on the bone either!:rotfl:

Y'all are not alone! DH won't eat anything on a bone. Not even fried chicken. I mean, who doesn't like fried chicken!!!!

Great Part 1 - not sure I could have stomached (is that a word) that Lapu Lapu - too much rum. Food looks good though :) Bring on Part 2

P.S. Brenda, isn't it about time you started organising this thus-far unorganised meet ;)

I can't believe there is someone else that "has a thing" about chicken on the bone! My DH won't eat chicken on the bone either!:rotfl:

nor mine - pulls funny faces when everyone else is tucking in. :rolleyes:

glad the tweedles enjoyed this meal.

Great Part 1 - not sure I could have stomached (is that a word) that Lapu Lapu - too much rum. Food looks good though :) Bring on Part 2

P.S. Brenda, isn't it about time you started organising this thus-far unorganised meet ;)

Pardon the interruption for a moment, DC Tink ...

Joh, I have to get through this October first. :lmao: And ... does this mean you and I will be at WDW at the same time next year?? :goodvibes

Thanks, Tink ... back to the yummy reviews! :thumbsup2

"The atmosphere at 'Ohana is....festive, for lack of a better word. There is a woman who goes around singing. She scared me. Mainly because she reminded me of Charo." :rotfl:

I just found out that I have to work until late tonight. So, unfortunately Part II will have to wait until tomorrow. Sorry! :sad1:

Pardon the interruption for a moment, DC Tink ...

Joh, I have to get through this October first. :lmao: And ... does this mean you and I will be at WDW at the same time next year?? :goodvibes

Thanks, Tink ... back to the yummy reviews! :thumbsup2

Beg your pardon for another interruption - OK, Brenda, get this trip out of the way if you must - some of us don't have another trip planned for 14 months so only have that to concentrate on. And, yes, with any luck we will be there at the same time - we arrive on 19th October for a fortnight - and I haven't forgotten you owe me a drink - something with Kahlua at HRC if I recall correctly ;)

Thanks for allowing me to hijack slightly Tink - looking forward to part 2 :)

And, I see in your signature that you want WDW next October, which would be a great thing for you two because of the food & wine festival! Also I'm celebrating my 40th at WDW next October and I know some other folks who will also be down there around the same time ... you could meet up with all of us for an as yet unplanned meet and drink full of alcoholic good cheer! :goodvibes

How fun!! My BD is in early October, but I think we would be looking at Columbus Day time frame since I have that day off of work.

Y'all are not alone! DH won't eat anything on a bone. Not even fried chicken. I mean, who doesn't like fried chicken!!!!

OMG!! I told David this and he of course did the "told you so dance." Too funny! :rotfl2:

Thanks for allowing me to hijack slightly Tink - looking forward to part 2 :)

No problem! You guys can always hijack away. It always makes for a more interesting read. :goodvibes

'Ohana Part II

After the bread, the salad, the apps, and being thoroughly frightened by Charo, it was time for the good stuff. Yes, the meat.

There is a huge grill where all of the meat lovin' goodness is prepared.

IMG_1744.jpg

IMG_1746.jpg

Skewers of steak, turkey, peel and eat shrimp, and pork are all brought around to your table Brazilian BBQ style. It is certainly a carnivore's paradise. I personally preferred the shrimp and the steak to the turkey and the pork. I guess I was just in a surf and turf kind of mood.

A trio of sauces are brought to your table to enjoy with the meat. Technically the sauces are a sweet and sour sauce (red), a peanut sauce (brown), and a chumichurri sauce (green). But Tweedle Dee renamed the sauces red yum yum sauce, brown yum yum sauce, and green icky sauce.

IMG_1751.jpg

I mixed and matched everything with the sauces and ultimately decided that I liked the brown yum yum sauce with the steak, the red yum yum sauce with the shrimp, and the green sauce with the pork and turkey. As a side note on the shrimp, watch your fingers because those babies are HOT when they are brought to your table and unless you have the ability to peel shrimp with the power of your mind...your fingers might get burned a little.

Once we had finished gorging ourselves on meat, dessert was brought out. Perhaps it was the lapu lapu speaking, but this dessert was insanely good!

IMG_1772.jpg

It was a pineapple bread pudding with a bananas foster sauce and a scoop of vanilla ice cream (which got all melty because of the warm goodness of the bread pudding). This dessert, was great.

After the dessert, and the lapu lapu I was feeling particularly good. But then again, I also needed a 30 minute monorail ride to overcome the side effects of the lapu lapu! All in all it was a good meal. The Tweedles seemed to like it and everyone was in such a good mood after dinner that we decided to do evening extra magic hours at MK. (As a side note, we stayed at MK until 3 am...which was totally hardcore, especially since we started the day with rope drop at DHS for their AM EMH!)

Another great review!

I LOVE staying at MK until the wee hours of the morning. That is always one of our favorite vacation activities, kids included!

I'm really enjoying your review. You have a nice way of putting things into context and telling a story. I'm also glad that it seems like you woke up every day determined to have a good time and worked hard to appease your travelers so they would have a good time. You seem like a very selfless person, and your brothers should be thankful of this. Of course, they are teenagers. They might not appreciate this for a few more years. But they'll have the memories.

I had a little catching up to do, so I hope you don't mind if I paste bits and pieces.

In regards to Pecos Bill:

I don't know if it is possible for this wrap to be 1. any larger and 2. any more difficult to eat. You had to use a knife and fork in order to get into it.

They really should have cut that in half for you. I don't know if they were just missing the knife, were lazy, or really did expect your Tweedles to eat it like a burrito. Maybe they designed it for Bubbles the Clown to choke it down after extending his retractable jaw.

I am also not used to those paper straws. I know why they have them, and I don't like drinking out of the glass...so I used the staw. But it was strange from a texture standpoint.

Interestingly enough, this was originally the only way you could get straws. I live in Atlanta, the Land of CocaCola. Paper straws are considered more 'traditional'. Granted, you see the issue if you don't have the right kind of paper straws. At Ted's Montana grill, for example, they battled customers with their paper straws for a while. Customers didn't want them because they would fall apart and seem gritty. So, after replacing them with plastic straws for a while, they came back with a much better version that wouldn't disintegrate after the first sip. The key, though, for all you Disney-goers out there, is to try sipping from the tip and not give the straw too much hot tongue action.

I . . I uh. Well. I don't know if I have enough snack credits to cover everything I want to try, but that's what Amex is for, right?

As an aside, I really wish Disney would get Coke Zero and Cherry Coke Zero. I hate diet coke and am left drinking regular coke all during the trip.

I've run into this problem everywhere, especially down south. Why doesn't the rest of the world think us diet cola drinkers like variety?? :)

Consequently, I appreciate your Starring Rolls post. I keep forgetting that there are other places besides MK's Main Street Bakery where someone can grab a tasty quick breakfast snack.

I'm going to stop it there because I just realized that this post is getting a little long. Looking forward to more of your review!

O'Hanas looks soooo good! It doesn't matter how many times a person plans and replans a trip...all the pictures just make you want to eat everywhere!

After reading so many negative reviews about Ohana I was starting to 2nd guess our ADR. I am so glad to read and view your review. I think my kids will enjoy the whole experience. We are going there on our 1st night, so it should set the pace for our vacation. Keep up the great reviews, I am really enjoying them! :goodvibes

'Ohana Part II

IMG_1772.jpg

What a fantastic shot of the dessert!!! Great pic and great update like usual:thumbsup2

3am that is awesome I think the latest we made it was 2!!!;) Can't wait to hear more and you'll have to let us know what time you managed to get out of bed the next day!!!

So part of the best thing of staying at MK until the wee hours in the morning, is getting snacks. The lines aren't long and the tables are plentiful. Dinner at 'Ohana started at 5:15 pm, so by midnight we all needed a little pick me up.

The Tweedles had spent 30 minutes repeatedly riding the tea cups to see who could spin it the fastest (Tweedle Dum received a certificate from a member of the dream team for the best tea cup spin in the MK). And after spinning for that long, they needed sweet treats. So we headed over to Sleepy Hollow for funnel cakes and ice cream cookies. I think it is impossible to have a bad funnel cake or ice cream sandwich. So needless to say...it was yummy!

IMG_1817.jpg

IMG_1816.jpg

So we headed over to Sleepy Hollow for funnel cakes and ice cream cookies. I think it is impossible to have a bad funnel cake or ice cream sandwich. So needless to say...it was yummy!

Mmmm... midnight funnel cake... :goodvibes

Great update!
The bread pudding at 'Ohana still remains my favorite dessert at WDW and I didn't have any alcohol. There is something about it I guess. :confused3

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter